Herbie goes Bananas

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Post Reply
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Not entirely sure about what he is up to dave. You are able to read his AAR so by now will have a better idea than me.
All the intel I have had points to a tentative invasion. He never reconned the place (although recon is pretty crappy at providing good info anyway - see my PM invasion), but the amount of troops he has landed is too small to take the place: 1 infantry brigade and the small tank battalion.
He does have full command of the seas over there so if he wants to take it I can't really stop him - however, I would welcome him doing so - I don't think he will want to keep sortieing his CVs to protect every supply transport TF he moves in - and as I've found - the more supply you have, the more is destroyed with every supply hit you suffer. My level bombers are still weiners but they will obviously get greater teeth as the game continues.
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Diary updated

Post by wobbly »

Haven't updated this in ages as teh actual game updates have been coming thick and fast - skip forward to 2nd July!
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

CV vs CV action

Post by wobbly »

Holy hell! Talk about action stations! I can't figure out what happened here - needless to say I am pretty happy with most of the outcome. Herb obviously had a few CVs released that he wasn't including in the Luganville operation. They give me a nasty surprise as they arrive below Gili, and then proceed to not send any strikes against me (well one is sent but can't find the target)! My aircraft don't suffer the same timidity and we get some encouraging strikes on all his CVs.
Strangely PM is full of CV aircraft and they launch a strike against my transport TF - they were out of range of Dobabdura but not PM - also weather socks both CV TFs in in the afternoon (I had an LRCAP mission over the Transport TF). What were they doing there? I got no XXX chutai diverting to PM. Maybe he moved them off the carriers? If thats they case why put his CVs in such incredible danger?
He has moved the BB and some other surface units out to the west, I am worried he will move them back to PM, thinking that I will follow his retreating CVs (this is indeed the plan - I want to try one more crack at the CVs to see if I can sink some). If this happens he will meet my next FT TF coming in to PM. One Tf got in last night and the 1st Aussie brigade of the 7th will be ashore if I can pull off tonights FT. Trouble is: if he greets them with surface vessels they will be hurt, and all those CV aircraft at PM will crap all over them as they retreat! Such are the decisions of command.

In the East things go from bad to worse. He catches a sub with 3 aircraft attacks I don't know if it sunk yet. More disastrously he shock attacks Efate and takes it! The place was loaded with supplies, and of course the portion of the RCT I flew in to hold (or not) the place.
His CVs are moving to the West they will be about 3-4 turns away from ruining the party over there. I don't have long before I have to bug out - I still don't want to go head to head with his main CVs - I think I got lucky today and he over-rated his CV pilots (he after all only put 1 full CV, 1 middle size and a light CV against 4 full CVs).

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/07/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack near Wunpuko at 51,51

Japanese Ships
AP Batavia Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS S-42


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Wunpuko at 51,51

Japanese Ships
AP Batavia Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-42

2 attacks by the sub might mean the end for another transport ship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Luganville , at 53,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
A6M3 Zero x 11
D3A Val x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 7 damaged

An abatement of attacks allows Luganville to repair a little - still not functional.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 16,45

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
A6M3 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 6
SBD Dauntless x 45
TBD Devastator x 29

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 9 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 20 damaged
TBD Devastator x 5 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 6 damaged

WO N.Matsuki of DI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 1

Damage to all the CVs the Zuiho suffers an ammo explosion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 16,45

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
A6M3 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 17
SBD Dauntless x 17
TBD Devastator x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M3 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat x 1 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 4 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 damaged

LT J. Banks of VF-2 is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga
CVL Ryujo, on fire
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 16,45

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
A6M3 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 8
SBD Dauntless x 30

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 15 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Kaga suffers a Fuel explosion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 16,45

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
A6M3 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 20
SBD Dauntless x 34
TBD Devastator x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 6 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 damaged

LTJG J.Nomura of DI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

I don't know how damaged they are obviously but I think it is prudent to have one more shot at them - then look to bug out after tomorrows attacks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 9,47

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
A6M3 Zero x 6
D3A Val x 26
B5N Kate x 41

no losses

Allied Ships
AP Esperance Bay, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Largs Bay, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Demodocus, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
SC 517
AK Adelong, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PG Swan
SC 518, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (sinks)


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 72

Alright I get the picture already - don't move the transport ships up!!! I have been a bit negligent with these guys, it is not as if I have thousands to through away. I just wanted more supplies to arrive against the PM beach-head. I am attacking tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 9,47

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 16

no losses

Allied Ships
PG Swan, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 15039 troops, 212 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18191 troops, 160 guns, 5 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 15

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 7554 troops, 83 guns, 34 vehicles

Defending force 13420 troops, 118 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 1)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 329
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 140

Luganville holds against a shock attack and he has not even got 1-1 odds. Should be OK here as long as they stay in supply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Efate Port Vila

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 8184 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 5304 troops, 28 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Efate Port Vila base !!!


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 407

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 3649

Bugger! The place was loaded with supplies and fuel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4869 troops, 91 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 7282 troops, 82 guns, 34 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 7


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
Mike_B20
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Mike_B20 »

Herbieh mentioned this clash a few days ago...was wondering when you'd get around to posting it.

I have been looking forward to it:)

Great AAR guys.
Never give up, never surrender
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Originally posted by Mike_B20
Herbieh mentioned this clash a few days ago...was wondering when you'd get around to posting it.

I have been looking forward to it:)

Great AAR guys.
Yeah Mike - sorry about the delay. I believe Herbie sent this on Sunday but it never arrived. He of course was then waiting for me to send a turn while I waited for his to arrive. Got everything sorted last night and we are back to action. Herbie wrote that he was on tenderhooks waiting for the return file - he didn't realise the internet gremlin always picks on those emails.
Thanks for the encouragement as well, I've looked back on what I've written and decided I shouldn't write a book... My english sucks :D
However, it has been fun and as a bonus you document what you've done so you can see progress quite well. The worst thing is I desperately want to read his AAR - you guys are allowed :(
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Massive surface action at PM. It has become the Kraken, devouring ships and men like an elephant would peanuts. I'll write more on each action at the action itself.
I now have a stream of heavy to light damaged ships trying to make Cairns. At least 4 are likely to fail - one of those being the Heavy Cruiser San Francisco; the Pensocola sunk in the fight - leveled by 14" shells form the Haruna. Another very sad loss was the Walke - the brave ship of many earlier encounters. Thankfully he has moved his carrier planes out of PM - they don't attack the stragglers. Despite these losses (and more to come) this turn has to be mine. My carriers find his wounded ones and unleash hell upon them. Both the Ryujo and the Zuiho are comfirmed sunk, the Kaga is not confirmed but she took 20 1000 lb bombs - she is not fighting again for some time if she hasn't!
My carriers retreat towards Cairns - I know he has another 3 closing fast. I wouldn't mind tangling with 3 CVs with my four but my pilots are beat and the number of aircraft I have on offer has fallen drastically. I hope I have not left it too late - I think I had to grasp the chance to hit him while it presented itelf though.
In the East things haven't really changed - he still has about 5 battle groups in the vacinity. More worrying is a transport TF adjacent to Irau - I don't know if it is retreating or closing full of troops! I have had the paratroop regiment of the marines released and they will drop into Luganville after I finish delivering the remains of the 164th RCT. This is the same RCT I dropped into Efate - remains of which still hang on. I can't rescue these men as they are being blockaded by a DD and a BB group - too much for me to handle.
This is about to change though (well in 19 days) as the BB North Carolina, 3 CAs, 1 CL and 11 DDs have been released from Pearl - woohoo.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/08/42

Weather: Clear

Air attack on Efate Port Vila , at 55,57


Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 3
A-20B Havoc x 5


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 17

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
5 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet

I tried a bit of night attacking to try and hit some of the massive fuel dump I had at efate - he can bombard Luganville from efate all month long! Hasn't worked though - need more planes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
CL Isuzu, Shell hits 2, on fire
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 1
CL Kuma, Shell hits 1
CL Yubari
DD Murasame
DD Uranami, Shell hits 1
DD Shikinami, Shell hits 1
DD Oboro, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Satsuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Kamikaze, Shell hits 1
DD Okikaze, Shell hits 1
DD Akikaze

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Nashville, Shell hits 1
DD Meredith, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 1
DD Jarvis, Shell hits 1
DD Benham
DD Lang
DD Mahan
DD Lamson, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Case, Shell hits 2, on fire

The beginning of the night of carnage - an even fight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
CL Isuzu, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
CL Kuma
CL Yubari, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Murasame, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Uranami, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Shikinami, Shell hits 2
DD Oboro, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Satsuki
DD Nagatsuki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Kamikaze
DD Okikaze
DD Akikaze

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Nashville, Shell hits 3
DD Meredith, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 2
DD Jarvis, Shell hits 2
DD Benham, Shell hits 2
DD Lang, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mahan
DD Lamson, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Case, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Another unbiased engagement - his torpedoes are starting to move things his way though - San Francisco is in trouble!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Shell hits 5
CA Nachi, Shell hits 10, on fire, heavy damage
CA Ashigara, Shell hits 4
DD Urakaze, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Arashi
DD Yamagumo, Shell hits 1
DD Nokaze, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Pensacola, Shell hits 6, on fire
CA Canberra, Shell hits 4
DD Walke, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
DD Helm, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Craven
DD Maury, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Preston
DD Dale
APD Colhoun
DMS Hovey
DMS Trevor


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 237

Just think, both TFs could have met this one! Those hits on the Pensacola are from the Haruna.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai, Shell hits 14, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makinami, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
DD Wakaba, Shell hits 21, on fire, heavy damage
DD Shirakumo, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
DD Namikaze, Shell hits 2, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Nashville
DD Meredith, on fire, heavy damage
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Jarvis, on fire
DD Benham
DD Lang, and is sunk
DD Mahan
DD Lamson, on fire, heavy damage
DD Case, on fire, heavy damage

I get surprise! Many of the hits are from San Francisco (parting glory?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
DD Natsugumo, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Asagumo, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Akatsuki, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Isonami, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Asagiri, Shell hits 31, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA Pensacola, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CA Canberra, Shell hits 2
DD Walke, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Craven, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Maury, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Preston, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Dale
APD Colhoun
DMS Hovey
DMS Trevor, Shell hits 2, on fire


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 369
Guns lost 2

He gets a Long Lance attack - ouch ouch ouch - Pensacola is doomed :( Canberra comes out of the fight with 1 secondary gun disabled and 9 SYS damage - still have one CA! :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 18,44

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-40


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 51,52

Japanese Ships
CL Kiso, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS S-42

This is back in the east - he is heavily anti subbing here so this is a welcome rebuttle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 19,42


Allied aircraft
TBD Devastator x 10


Allied aircraft losses
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 10 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma
DD Akikaze


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 19,42


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 26
TBD Devastator x 10


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 11 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 9 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Okikaze
CL Kuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Murasame, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Kamikaze
DD Uranami, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Now these guys were in the surface actions - I think he is bugging out while my carriers are here - wonder if he will turn them around now that I am leaving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 19,42


Allied aircraft
TBD Devastator x 12


Allied aircraft losses
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 10 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Murasame, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (sinks)
CL Kuma, on fire
DD Uranami, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Efate Port Vila at 55,57

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 3

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Hagikaze

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Beaufort at 10000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Efate Port Vila at 55,57

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 3

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Beaufort at 10000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 20,40


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 18


no losses

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage

:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 20,40


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 34


no losses

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 12, on fire, heavy damage
DD Nenohi, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

:) :) :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 18,44


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 9
SBD Dauntless x 15


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

two ammo explosions - 1 each - they had no chance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 18,44


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 17
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9
SBD Dauntless x 15
TBD Devastator x 14


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, on fire, heavy damage
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 17,44


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 14
F4F-4 Wildcat x 13
SBD Dauntless x 14


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 1

Bounces off
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Efate Port Vila at 55,57

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 3

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Reiyo Maru

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Beaufort at 10000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 10,40


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 14


no losses

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Namikaze, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 18,44


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 66
TBD Devastator x 27


no losses


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 17,44

Japanese Ships
DD Yamagumo
CA Ashigara

Allied Ships
SS S-37


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 15048 troops, 212 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 19330 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 2

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 81

These bombardments are really taking their toll. My level bombers are not suppressing his troops so I am attacking with very fatigued men.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Efate Port Vila

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7832 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 2284 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 19

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 271


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7194 troops, 91 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 9158 troops, 94 guns, 34 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 194

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 79
Guns lost 1

They attack again this turn - with more troops flown in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 15793 troops, 158 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 21026 troops, 273 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 380
Guns lost 5

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 201

I am starting to think I have thrown away all these troops - they can't get parity let alone ascendency. All because the recons did not show me the heavy infantry brigades. There is also a Jap transport TF 3 hexes from PM - it may be troops and that will be that. I still have Lea Lea so I may have to start walking. There are enough surface units remaining after all my punishment of them - to get some of the men out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

All Japanese day today. His carriers which I thought were coming over to intercept mine were in fact travelling south. I don't think they intended on going south so much as scouted my supply task force aimed at PM. He scouted them and I moved their destination to Tville, he came further south I aimed at Rockhampton, he was just too fast. The silver lining to this calamity is that the Long Island was 4 hexes south of his CV TF a damaged DD returning to Noumea was 4 hexes west and another one 5 hexes east - none were scouted. Hopefully they wont be again next turn. I have stocked Rockhampton and Brisbane with fighters set to LRCAP the incoming ships and a TF in Brisbane that is half loaded (and can therefore not be disbanded). Hopefully this enough to perturb too much more destruction.
I have pulled out of PM - the troops are heading to Lea Lea. The idea behind this attack was obviously a quick takeover of PM while it was undefended. I was always in trouble when 2 infantry brigades suddenly leapt out of the jungle.
Hopefully I can get a few supply runs in to the lads there and then, when I have a few more DDs and such, FT them out.
In the east another transport TF has started unloading at Luganville! My dakotas are tired so they stand down this turn - I am bringing in 2 more sqds of them from Oz. Then I will drop in the paras and any other troops I can find - He means to take Luganville, I mean to hold it.
PM no longer really needs the carriers so they are going to make their way back to Noumea. The Wasp is 4 days out of Pearl - whether she is released to me is another thing but if she is I hope to releave the pressure on Luganville. in 10 days i will have teh whole of the 1st marine division, they will be the work horses (for a change).

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/09/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 19,42

Japanese Ships
DD Yamagumo

Allied Ships
SS S-39, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

yep she sinks, only the 3rd sub I have lost though (plenty others damaged)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 8,55

Japanese Ships
SS I-168

Allied Ships
CA Astoria, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

d@mn d@mn d@mn. I had been repairing the floatation damage on her at Cairns she was clean (sys dam 50 though) and I had her transfering to Townsville inside the reef. I then played around with sending her to Noumea - looking at the track she would take - that track went out the gap in the reef by townsville. I thought there might be subs in the vacinity (would be prudent). Then I forgot to change its travel orders back to going inside the reef! arghh anyway she is at 90 SYS and 45 float. If she sinks that will be my 6th CA lost. The crippled San Francisco succumbs to her wounds this turn, 2 of the damaged DDs with her follow her under the waves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Luganville at 53,53

Japanese Ships
AP Yamura Maru

Allied Ships
SS Greenling

Greenling is still in theatre - she had just made it back to Noumea when the Luganville invasions happened - I sent her back out - either way the captain is extremely stupid. He has no rear tubes (still damaged) but those are the ones he keeps using - she will have to go back to Pearl.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 18,43

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-37


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Luganville at 53,53

Japanese Ships
AP Shinano Maru

Allied Ships
SS Greenling

And again - idiot!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 16th Regiment, at 53,53

Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 7

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-26B Marauder x 1 destroyed

Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 26,71

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
D3A Val x 20
B5N Kate x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AP William Ward Burrows, Bomb hits 1, on fire
MSW Whyalla, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Neville, Bomb hits 1
AP McCawley
AK Fomalhaut, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Etamin
AK Libra, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Here is his down south attack - no lost ships but the writing is on the wall for the Libra and the Whyalla - I don't need to keep loosing anti-mine ships!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 26,71

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
B5N Kate x 14

no losses

Allied Ships
AK Betelgeuse
AP McCawley
MSW Toowoomba
AK Fomalhaut, on fire


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14778 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 19005 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



SLDR B.Okano of F1/Tainan Daitai bails out and is RESCUED
Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 2

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 30


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Efate Port Vila

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7815 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 2077 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 30

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 2347
Guns lost 24

He kills/captures the rest of my efate defense force.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 8456 troops, 101 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 10613 troops, 126 guns, 34 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 266
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 42

I have changed to defence. I still have 71 varied planes damaged on the ground here. I have to hold!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12145 troops, 120 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 20683 troops, 269 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 173
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 79

Another tranport TF has arrived in port, I can't compete.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

WE all take a breath - whew

Post by wobbly »

At last a lull in the action, we both sit back and lick our wounds.

His CVs are heading back to the west (from south Oz) and my fighters in Noumea go on alert in case they try and bomb the port. I have some DDs there defending Noumea against bombardment so enemy aircraft would be a bad look! Hopefully the rain that is forecast can help with guarding the place. I am so short on warships that if he tried another push it would be down to the army/marines! 7 DDs defend a port full of transport ships at Noumea! I can still scout much of his heavy steel battle wagons over this side.

Luganville still holds and my two other C-49 sqds arrive to ready themselves for the paradrop in the next turn. Air services are back to 10 damaged everything else fine - 11 planes flew out to Noumea this turn. Still 35 of the 36 dauntlesses off Lex are damaged at Luganville.

In Oz the carriers make port in Townsville and fill up their tanks - the enterprises F4F sqd converts to 4s! However, no replacements were taken for other sqds this turn. I will stay under ground-based aircover, as a TF, for one more turn - don't want him night bombing me here!
In regard to night bombing I keep the mediums at cooktown speced out for a night bomb of the PM port - they did not go last night, either due to moral or weather.

The Long Island loads the marine F4Fs back on board and they are returning across the ditch. Stragglers from the CV attack are making their way into Rockhampton - with luck I wont loose a single ship from that attack - the range he attacked from saved me there.

The Astoria is still afloat heading for Townsville worse the even money it makes it. I have put an antisub unit in the likely place for subs along the way - remnants of the escort that went to PM - 3 SCs in it with night experience of 58-60.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/10/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

not sure about this - I don't see the bombardiers and they don't damage anyone.

Air attack on Efate Port Vila , at 55,57


Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
A-20B Havoc x 14

no losses

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
9 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
5 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Sub attack at 18,43

Japanese Ships
CL Yubari, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-37

This guy is a straggler trying ot get home - he doesn't sink but must be feeling very ill.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14663 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18916 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 7

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 34

My troops are 6 Km out of PM and marching.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 8397 troops, 101 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 15679 troops, 162 guns, 34 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 26

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 21

I thought I changed these guys to bombard I make sure of it this round!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Another quiet day.

I think astoria will make port in Townsville, she will have to get rid of all the water and then limp further down the coast. Then of course it's the long trek back to Noumea.

The AK lunda (sp?) has to be scuttled - so Herbie's foray into the south does get him some rewards. All other ships should survive.

My troops at PM are slowly making their way to Lea Lea - he is harrassing them as they go without actually knowing they are leaving I think. Once they get there I am going to run in a supply Tf and then slowly withdraw them - it will take a very long time. I hope pearl releases some APDs.

No night bombing again but that is OK - my medium bombers really did need a bit of rest.

In the east Herbie's CVs continue north - they are still within strike range of Noumea but I have disbanded the TF in port there.
40 planes left at Luganville - at last some of the dauntlesses are repaired and return.
5 sqds are dropping in paras and the remains of the 164 RCT. The Jap troops located there still seem very fresh. It is a clear weather so they will take a pounding from any zeros.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/11/42

Weather: Rain

Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Air attack on 182nd Regimental Combat Team, at 53,53

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 15

no losses


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 11

Attacking Level Bombers:
15 x G4M1 Betty at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 7th Aus Brigade, at 9,39

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 23
G3M Nell x 8

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
8 x G3M Nell at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 18

harrassment of PM and Lea Lea troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14693 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18902 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 23


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14811 troops, 162 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 14478 troops, 128 guns, 0 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 10


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 6060 troops, 101 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 15673 troops, 162 guns, 34 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 41

He is slowly mustering more troops at Luganville - I really need my Cvs over to threaten his tranports. That will of course take time.
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

With the cessation of my attempts on PM, luganville has to take my prime attention. He attacked there this turn and managed 1-1 odds. He is moving the units he used successfully at Efate and Wunpuko over to help with the Luganville operation. Therefoer those odds will rise until he gets 2-1 and I will be lost.
I have 2 things on my side of the ledger - C-49s and that he hasn't bought any engineers. last turn I got the paratroops in, this turn I am trying to fly in the raiders. My engineers had managed to return Luganville to previous pristein levels of operation, only to get it pounded again. I have 1 level of fortification there and would like that to improve, that is difficult if they have to keep rebuilding busted complexes.

Future plans revolve around the carriers - I have nothing else to fight him with...

Therefore they are putting into Rockhampton this turn - I want them to replenish their air wings; then travel back across to Noumea.
I am going to put the Long island in a small group up by Townsville and parade it up by PM, along with a transport TF, Get him to scout them and make it look like I am making another attempt over there. Obviously this is a bluff to get him looking there more than over by Luganville. I somehow have to get the place to hold until I get more surface units - 16 days!
I have setup a FT unit from Noumea to Koumac with a newly released base unit - I need to start suppressing his troops at Luganville.
Another FT unit (made with the meagre remnants of the surface attacks at PM) are moving supplies into Lea Lea.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/12/42

Weather: Clear

Sub attack at 8,55

Japanese Ships
SS I-168

Allied Ships
SC 519

Made a small ASW unit with SCs and PGs - hardly capable - 3 SCs with exp above 55 though to try and get rid of the subs he has stationed around Cairns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Port Moresby , at 10,40


Allied aircraft
Hudson x 3
B-25D Mitchell x 8
B-26B Marauder x 11


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 19

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
5 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
6 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
8 x B-25D Mitchell at 6000 feet

No ships hit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Luganville, at 53,53


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 20
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 8
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

With all the stolen fuel and supplies he can so this forever!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Air attack on 7th Aus Brigade, at 9,39

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26
G3M Nell x 10

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
10 x G3M Nell at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Luganville, at 53,53


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 34

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 31

Luganville is still in reasonable shape however.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 11


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14707 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18872 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 2

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 23


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 15784 troops, 180 guns, 34 vehicles

Defending force 15641 troops, 139 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 180

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 158

A deliberate attack gets 1-1, touch and go what a shock atack will manage!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 6008 troops, 100 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 17819 troops, 245 guns, 34 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 7


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
User avatar
ADavidB
Posts: 2464
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by ADavidB »

"Future plans revolve around the carriers - I have nothing else to fight him with..."

Why not strip your carrier TF of cruisers and just leave a couple of DDs with the carriers? Your flak at this stage of the game is a joke anyway, so why worry about it?

Dave Baranyi
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Little accomplished again this turn. The more down time the better as far as I am concerned. The sub I had at Luganville that was trying to make it back to Noumea (after aerial attack) sank :(
I hear, via intercepts, that another of his wounded DDs has sunk. The DD Case is still limping back from PM. If I have cleared the subs away it is even money to make it - high SYS but medium float.
My CVs in rockhampton are not provisioned with aircraft - another turn I have to wait - there are heaps in the pool...
The Wasp is in Pearl - unfortunately there are only 2 DDs and 2 CLAAs to acommpany her - very unlikely she will be released, I'll have to wait a few more days for escorts.
My FT of the base unit for Koumac goes in tonight and I have set up a slow transport group to take the cavalry brigade. I have loaded enough ships to carry it in one hop so hopefully it will unload fast as well. My medium bombers rest in readiness for transfer to Koumac and bombing runs.
I am toying with sending the Lex air wing back into Luganville for a little surprise - he is not LRCAPing the ships there. Still 14 damaged dauntlesses on the tarmac there though.

A question to the knowledgable many out there who have played Allies: when do you start getting replacement B-17 fortresses for your sqds? Ever?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/13/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on Port Moresby , at 10,40


Allied aircraft
Hudson x 9
B-25D Mitchell x 6
B-26B Marauder x 8


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 15

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
6 x B-25D Mitchell at 6000 feet
5 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson at 6000 feet
6 x Hudson at 6000 feet

Frivolous - no ships being hit so I abandon this for the moment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40

Air attack on Efate Port Vila , at 55,57


Allied aircraft
A-20B Havoc x 12


Allied aircraft losses
A-20B Havoc x 1 destroyed
A-20B Havoc x 2 damaged

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
8 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on 230th Regiment, at 53,53


Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 8


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 17

Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Port Moresby, at 10,40


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 6


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14718 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18818 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 31


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 17811 troops, 245 guns, 34 vehicles

Defending force 16582 troops, 139 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 299
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 278
Guns lost 1

Now I had a fort level of 1 last turn - he doesn't remove any, he has no engineers - where did it go? I am out of easily air lifted units and supplies are down to 17K. I need to relieve Luganville and soon - bring on the battlewagons! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5832 troops, 99 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18311 troops, 249 guns, 34 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 17


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
Nasrullah
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Annapolis, Md, USA

Post by Nasrullah »

B-17 replacements start (if I recall correctly) on Sept 1,1942 at the rate of 7 per month.
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

The Lull continues. My supply FT group makes it to Lae Lae and out again.

Unfortuantely his Mavis's scout my CVs in Rockhampton - he knows where I am now and I have to stay there another turn to try and get some more aircraft. It can be infuriating when the government wont put out ;)

One of his minelayers hits one of his own mines (he has done a whole lot of that this game - one of my best weapons :) ) in the dot hex west of gili. DOes this mean he is also mining Lea Lea - I would - that will make surface FT misions a real pain!

In the east things have quietened down while Herbie brings up troops to finish Luganville. I notice I have no headquaters unit in Luganville. I will have to remedy that as my troops don't appear to be recovering properly. More troops that could be lost if he wins the place.

He has a transport TF in harbour at the moment - with most of my dauntlesses flying again - I move them back into Luganville! They are accompanied by marine dauntlesses, havocs and the torpedo sqd from the Lex - which has been converted to Avengers. They are all set to Naval intercept and hopefully will wake him up to me still being here!

As expected the Wasp is not released - 3 days for one more DD to Pearl, 3 CLAA's in port now though - my commitment level is set to high so once enough escorts are released I should get her.

I send 3 DD's, from the PM battles, back to Pearl. THe DD case is still afloat - 4 hexes out of Cairns...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/14/42

Weather: Clear

Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14760 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18808 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 20

7 miles to Lea Lea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2122 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 14740 troops, 142 guns, 34 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 8


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Nasrullah - I am looking forward to that - I have been neglectful of them - should really only use them as port/airfield suppressors.
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Herbie appears to be retreating from the East at the moment. That wont last I imagine, more like he is refueling ships and readying himself to come hard again.

My plan to show I still have teeth works well. I don't know how much good it will do but I killed a few Japs still in their boats.
I don't have alot of firepower in my MLRBs to supress his attack forces in Luganville. Since PM is a no go it may be a good idea to move some of the mitchells over to Koumac.

Fortifications are coming along nicely in Luganville - now the engineers aren't repairing.

My carrier force is again denied replacements. Despite being told, I don't understand why you get planes some time and not others - do I need to go back to Brisbane?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/15/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on TF at 50,52


Allied aircraft
TBF Avenger x 12


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Muko Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

My Avengers immediately show their power - this ship sinks - It is most likely retreating so is therefore empty - better than nothing though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 35
P-39D Airacobra x 16
A-20B Havoc x 8


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Yamura Maru, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hokuhi Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Shozan Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shinano Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Yamagiri Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 235
Guns lost 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet 2 bomb hits each for these guys - morale still at 68
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet

Couldn't just let him unload in peace - better in piece(s) - He is either unloading or loading either way men go swimming. I am going to keep the planes here for one more turn on naval and see if I can't sink the cripples.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14795 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 18808 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 27

3 Miles to Lea Lea
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2138 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 11766 troops, 95 guns, 34 vehicles



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Woops bit of a copying snafu.

lets try again.

My planes in Luganville manage to sink the rest of the transport units at Luganville. I can see DDs an BBs on a converison course with Luganville so I bug out with all of my planes.

2 Sqds of Mitchells and 1 of hudsons fly from Cooktown to Koumac. They will rest this turn, but I want to use them to help suppress Luganville. Thunderstorms this turn anyway.

C-49s are going to take in the Americal HQ unit to help at Luganville.


In the West all my PM units make it to Lea Lea. They ready themselves to attack the remnants of the units the japs have left here arfter trying to take the place about a month ago.

THe Long Island makes port in Townsville - I will make a Air Combat TF around it - as a bluff - if my CVs make it into Moumea unnoticed.

The DD Case makes it into Cairns - I don't know if it will sink or not - ~ 80 float damage.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/16/42

Weather: Clear

Air attack on 7th Aus Brigade, at 9,39

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
G3M Nell x 9

no losses

Attacking Level Bombers:
9 x G3M Nell at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 12
TBF Avenger x 12
P-39D Airacobra x 9
A-20B Havoc x 11


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Hokuhi Maru
AP Shinano Maru, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shozan Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet
1 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet
2 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53


Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 12


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Yamagiri Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shinano Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shozan Maru, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
1 x Beaufort at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 6000 feet
3 x Beaufort at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53


Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 31
TBF Avenger x 12
P-39D Airacobra x 12
A-20B Havoc x 8


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Shinano Maru, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Shozan Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hokuhi Maru, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet
4 x A-20B Havoc at 1000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 53,53


Allied aircraft
Beaufort x 8


no losses

Japanese Ships
AP Yamagiri Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x Beaufort at 6000 feet
4 x Beaufort at 6000 feet

All these ships of the trnasport TF are sunk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Port Moresby

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 14809 troops, 208 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 17656 troops, 158 guns, 5 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
Men lost 51


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 12659 troops, 123 guns, 34 vehicles

Defending force 16394 troops, 138 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 707
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 20

He tries a shock attack and it is repulsed - a bombardment beforehand may change things!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Luganville

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2130 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 11998 troops, 122 guns, 33 vehicles



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

WTF is a C-49?:p
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Sod all to report.

The Aussies in Lea Lea repulse the remnants of his troops sitting there. They only manage to get 2-1 odds so shows you know how sore they are.
I notice a large infantry unit travelling over the Kokoda track. He may try to come to Lea Lea to kill the boys, the problem with this of course is that I will be returning the boys to Oz and the ones left there will slowly get less capable at defending themselves.

Very little planned for this turn - recon of wunpuko and efate.

Dave, C-49 the mainstay of New Zealand domestic air travel 'til about 1995. Able to crop dust a field then crash into the opposing hill in single bound. Faster than a F-14 Tomcat - when it 's parked...

I thought we called them C-49s and Dakotas... like calling the Mustang a P51.
My Nomenclature sucks, I've been calling devastators vindicators. I've been calling regiments battalions (in fact I tried to right it by calling them brigades).

Unlike others on the boards I have no military service to my name. I get my "ten huts" mixed with my "fall outs". :D
[center]
Image
[/center]
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by wobbly
I get my "ten huts" mixed with my "fall outs". :D


Yeah it shows in your game play!:p ;) :D !!!!!






























Only joking mate !
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

Not alot of activity this turn either. Herbie has at last taken the dot hexes around Guadalcanal - he must be sick of running his ships into his own mines :) I tried to persuade him that I didn't mind him doing that but he has gone and ruined the party.

I have neglected the AVs I have in port in Noumea for FT duty - they are needed to get the aussies out of Lea Lea so are shipping across to the Western theatre.

I reconned Wunpuko and Efate this turn. I don't know what to make of the findings - if you believe my pilots - there is nothing at Wunpuko and 1 coastal batt at Efate. I have been burnt by their ineptitude so I don't know if I believe them. I think I will take efate to make sure he has to take it back when/if he comes at Luganville again. It will be better for suppressing the troops he has on luganville. Wunpuko can stay japanese held and be bombed to death by my green crews.

My carriers make port in Noumea this turn - hopefully they will release some aircraft for me here!!!

Have to agree with you on tactics Dave - the attack on PM was stupidity personified - wait one - didn't you bring that idea up :D :D

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/18/42

Weather: Rain

Air attack on 18th Aus Brigade, at 9,39

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
G3M Nell x 9

no losses


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 25

Attacking Level Bombers:
9 x G3M Nell at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Tassafaronga

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1059 troops, 4 guns, 32 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 15 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tassafaronga base !!!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Taivu

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1208 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Taivu base !!!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[center]
Image
[/center]
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”