The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's KB and the DEI. John can make a lot of noise down here...and he can inflict some hurt in my good transports. But my bases are strongly defended, so I'm just battening down the hatches to fight.

Meanwhile, KB is out of position...and, to get into position...it has to either steam towards the PI in plain view or go way, way around to ambush.

Image
Attachments
041744B..tandKB.jpg
041744B..tandKB.jpg (664.32 KiB) Viewed 190 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

In the PI, the Allies take Cebu today. With the KB threat eliminated, I'll move on Poilolo, the island east of Manila, tomorrow. Until KB is more of a threat, I'll be more active in this theater.

Image
Attachments
041744FunHouse.jpg
041744FunHouse.jpg (647.87 KiB) Viewed 190 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by bradfordkay »

"With a handful of my bomber squadrons temporarily out of commission, they'll upgrade to better aircraft. "

That is making lemonade when life hands you lemons!
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
Barb
Posts: 2503
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Barb »

Well, in my PBEM as Allies I am in a position of having pools and units full of planes while the new ones are coming online. My opponent is evading the fight in the SWPac, and we are out of close contact elsewhere, spare Burma. Yet there is also a little "ditch" between allied and Japanese forces. On the other hand I do hate to throw away missions just for the sake of flying. So we both have mostly defensive stance with occasional sting here or there, but nothing mayor. So I still have units equipped with Hurricane Is, P-40Es, Blenheims IV, etc. :D On the other hand the Japan just sits there and probably produce planes that are probably not needed.

When the time comes (which should be soon), we will probably burn them anyway... and any losses will be made good by upgrading to newer and better planes :D
Image
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In the PI, the Allies take Cebu today. With the KB threat eliminated, I'll move on Poilolo, the island east of Manila, tomorrow. Until KB is more of a threat, I'll be more active in this theater.


I dunno, how many bases do you really need? You have more than half a dozen now. Is Poilolo even worth the effort?
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
paullus99
Posts: 1671
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:00 am

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by paullus99 »

Canoe is thumbing his nose at John - the more he ignores these little "side-trips" that John seems to be bound and determined to attempt, the more likely it will be that John will ultimately get frustrated and do something really stupid.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

Poilolo has modest value of its own - I can use it but don't need it. But Poilolo in conjunction with the island or islands I'll take south of Manila might prompt John into rash action - it'll seem to him that I'm drawing a ring around Manila. Too, reconnaissance squadrons are probing empty islands to the north - the Bataan chain, etc. - so that should raise John's concern too.

IE, I can make use of the islands I'm taking, but mainly I'm trying to rattle John as he's off doing weird stuff far away.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
JohnDillworth
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by JohnDillworth »

he's off doing weird stuff far away
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'll tell you one thing I did - I moved half an army out of Burma more than a year ago. In January '43, the Allies were on the offensive in Burma. Things looked promising. I had one British division, one American division, two Australian divisions, and two or three Indian divisions involved in the assault. I withdrew the Americans and the Australians; those three divisions went to the USA and are now involved in the Pacific War. One or two Indian divisions eventually took their place on the front lines. So, January '43 = six or seven divisions; April '44 = five divisions, only one of which is a major power division.

Yeah but you want bigger forces from him in Burma, which suggests you want to land perhaps at CRB (or somewhere in this area) and cut the western IJ portion off. I am already in trouble in 7/42 vs. the Allies, but in 44 it must be scary for "JFB"s
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

4/18/44

Burma and the DEI:
John has the weight of his navy engaged in the Bay of Bengal and New Guinea. See map for details.

He's using his bombardment TFs to decent tactical effect, but if he isn't furthering a major operational or strategic benefit, this doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of the opening of Big Tent. As the Allied fleets were approaching the undefended DEI, John's BBs detoured to bombard Tarawa. And that was it. There was no larger componment to that bombardment. He was undoubtedly hoping to create worry about the Marshalls, but by then the Marshalls were irrelevant.

What he's doing in Burma and New Guinea have more merit than bombarding Tarawa did, but not a whole lot.

On the ground, the Japanese engaged in another costly shock (to them) shock attack on their west flank.

Image
Attachments
041844B..andDEI.jpg
041844B..andDEI.jpg (762.56 KiB) Viewed 190 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

The Fun House side of things.

Image
Attachments
041844FunHouse.jpg
041844FunHouse.jpg (686.81 KiB) Viewed 190 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by witpqs »

So maybe he is trying to lure your fleet back south?
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

Quite possible that's his plan. Perhaps he's thinking "Celebes" while I'm thinking "Tarawa."

For him to have a chance, he needs to pose a credible threat to the DEI. He doesn't.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

So maybe he is trying to lure your fleet back south?
Yeah, but he should know from the way Dan has conducted himself in the previous incursions that he won't be drawn away from his own purpose.

I know John has a tendency to succumb to the "Do something! Anything!" urge that hits you when the enemy is chewing up your strategic space and you do not dare confront directly, but he seems even less effective in the edge-nibbling department lately. I think he is over tasked and overtired in real life.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Alpha77 »

BBfanboy:

"I know John has a tendency to succumb to the "Do something! Anything!" urge that hits you when the enemy is chewing up your strategic space"

Always when I succumb to that urge I lose major ships [:@] [>:]
User avatar
MakeeLearn
Posts: 4274
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:01 pm

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by MakeeLearn »

He's calling out your carriers.....

Image
Attachments
GoodBadUglyTrio.jpg
GoodBadUglyTrio.jpg (209.23 KiB) Viewed 190 times






User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Lokasenna »

You guys and your funny base names. I'm pretty sure it's Polillo, unless your mod changed names on the map.
User avatar
BillBrown
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:55 am

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You guys and your funny base names. I'm pretty sure it's Polillo, unless your mod changed names on the map.

They are channeling their inner Greyjoy. [;)]
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

It took me 11 years to realize that Balikpan was actually Balikpapan.

You're talking to a guy who lost the first grade spelling be by spelling "who": "ho."

But then, the smartest person I've ever known couldn't spell a lick.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”