OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually. [:D]

With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.

You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually. [:D]

With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.

You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.
Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

If I had hands I could show one or two, but not in that case.

Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy




With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.

You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.
Ask Mick Jagger, who did at 73. And he's already a great-grand father.
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20768
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert



You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.
Ask Mick Jagger, who did at 73. And he's already a great-grand father.
Well, that's what Mick thinks anyway! I'd want some DNA testing of Junior if I was a father now![:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy




I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.
Ask Mick Jagger, who did at 73. And he's already a great-grand father.
Well, that's what Mick thinks anyway! I'd want some DNA testing of Junior if I was a father now![:D]
The baby's lips are a giveaway :-)
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

You're saying if the kid has the lips of a grouper he's Mick's? To tell you the truth, if somebody assigned a kid to me and said he/she was mine I wouldn't argue or ask for a DNA test. I'm old. I don't know any better.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

Want to say something about the best actor I ever saw. He's been in many movies with actors everyone would say are among the best they ever saw. He always gets surrounded with great actors beacause of how great he is. This guy has dumbfounded me my whole life. I think the first time I saw him, or noticed him was when he played Boo Radley.



Image
Attachments
boo800.gif
boo800.gif (491.19 KiB) Viewed 279 times

User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: geofflambert



You are correct. Many great, great people have died young, none so great as Curly Howard.

However, I wouldn't mind shaking Sammy Lee's wife Kari's something or other.

Are you saying he is Hagar the Horrible?

Qvack!

I believe that the shaking involving Sammy Lee's wife involves the shaking of the "Alimony tree" by his first wife, whom he divorced in 1994. The guy turns 70 this year (?!?) and has a 13 year old daughter by his second wife Kari. Anyone here (show of hands) want to father a kid at 57?

His current music projects include Chickenfoot with a 2011 album entitled Chickenfoot III. No relation.
Ask Mick Jagger, who did at 73. And he's already a great-grand father.

Yes. I know there are some nut jobs out there that think that fathering a child at 70+ is a good thing. But...it isn't. I was querying this group (of nut jobs) to see how many of *them* wanted to be a father at 57.
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Want to say something about the best actor I ever saw. He's been in many movies with actors everyone would say are among the best they ever saw. He always gets surrounded with great actors beacause of how great he is. This guy has dumbfounded me my whole life. I think the first time I saw him, or noticed him was when he played Boo Radley.

Lunatic.
Image
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by wdolson »

My father was 46 and my mother was 41 when I came along. It's more common now, but they went through hell raising a kid that late in life. My father started social security my first year in college.

Bill
WIS Development Team
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

A friend of mine's grandfather was born in 1863.
User avatar
wdolson
Posts: 7690
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Near Portland, OR

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by wdolson »

My family has generation stretched. All of my grand parents were born in the 19th century and I was born in the 60s. My mother's father's family is well documented back into the 1600s with more traces going back to the 1200s. Her grandfather was born in 1862.
WIS Development Team
dave sindel
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Millersburg, OH

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Want to say something about the best actor I ever saw. He's been in many movies with actors everyone would say are among the best they ever saw. He always gets surrounded with great actors beacause of how great he is. This guy has dumbfounded me my whole life. I think the first time I saw him, or noticed him was when he played Boo Radley.



Image

He is one of my favorites also. One of my favorite films of his is Secondhand Lions with Michael Caine.
User avatar
Lecivius
Posts: 4845
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 am
Location: Denver

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

My father was 46 and my mother was 41 when I came along. It's more common now, but they went through hell raising a kid that late in life. My father started social security my first year in college.

Bill

We did this. Mom & I didn't burn the candle at both ends, we nuked that sucker [:D] But we also were able to get a bit ahead job wise, so we could provide better. Now the kids off to college, and ma & I are looking to hang it up in a few years.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Chickenboy »

There are real advantages either way, aren't there? I can see both sides of the argument: getting ahead in a career to provide better for the young 'uns versus having kids while you're relatively young and able to keep pace with the craziness better.

It gets more difficult when you've got 12+ years of college / residency in the mix before you can start really earning in your given profession. It's even *more* difficult when your wife is in exactly the same position. Trying to thread that needle and squeeze out those pups before mom's biological threshold gets crossed out is a challenge.

Things worked out OK for us, but it-having kids in today's world-is no laughing matter, dudes.
Image
User avatar
btd64
Posts: 15208
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 am
Location: Lancaster, OHIO

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Things worked out OK for us, but it-having kids in today's world-is no laughing matter, dudes.

You got that right. When my kids were young we had them hold onto us in stores. If they where not holding on, they were in the shopping cart. You just have to be very careful with your kids and do the best you can raising them....GP
IntelUltra7 16cores, 32gb ram, NvidiaGeForceRTX 2050
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20768
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Things worked out OK for us, but it-having kids in today's world-is no laughing matter, dudes.

You got that right. When my kids were young we had them hold onto us in stores. If they where not holding on, they were in the shopping cart. You just have to be very careful with your kids and do the best you can raising them....GP
Abduction of kids is pretty rare, but the poison the druggies want to get into them are everywhere. That's my biggest fear for my grandkids.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rockmedic109
Posts: 2470
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Citrus Heights, CA

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by rockmedic109 »

I was 47 when we adopted our first of two {my wife had three from a prior marriage}. Yeah, it was hard. But I also had the maturity to look beyond the obvious. Like when things started to go missing and our daughter admitted {quite innocently} that she took them. We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind. Not sure I would've been able to look beyond the obvious if I had been 20-nothing years old.
User avatar
Lecivius
Posts: 4845
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 am
Location: Denver

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
We knew what it was and our daughter confirmed it when she told us that if she had our "things" we wouldn't leave her because we'd be leaving our things behind.

Stuff like this gets to me, and is why I still work in Boy scouts long after my son moved on. 99 kids go their own way, do their own thing etc. But then that 1 comes along that for whatever reason needs a rock. Not to hold onto, but just to use as a reference. And that makes all the time spent worth it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”