Ground support and tactical air force

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Post Reply
User avatar
SaintEx
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: Near Paris

Ground support and tactical air force

Post by SaintEx »

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug, but it's April 1944 in the 43-45 campaign and for several turns now, I can't get anyone to fly ground support in Italy. Also, I can't transfer anyone to the tactical air force, including changing bases to the tac air HQ.

Problem 1) When I try to change an HQ for any air unit or air base, the tactical air force simply doesn't appear. For units already in tac air, I can assign them missions and they fly normally (except for ground support, see below), and the air force appears in all the screens, I just can't assign anyone new to it. I've been transferring FBs from RAF tac 2 south, but putting them in the Malta AF, as well as new units from reserve.


Problem 2) No one ever flies ground support. I know I can only have one ground support mission per unit, the weather has been slightly rainy, but last turn it was fine. I tried redoing the last turn a number of times, with different AD mixes for both the tactical air force and the malta air force (and of course, I've moved everyone to front line bases). No matter what I do, or what I assign, no one ever flies ground support, even if I assign specific squadrons to specific ground units via the division counters. All other ADs work fine.

Help!
User avatar
loki100
Posts: 11708
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Utlima Thule

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by loki100 »

obvious issue is to check the ranges. One problem with GS is it will assign (notionally) any plane that is able to fly. This can be misleading.

Its one reason why its worth fussing over your airbase allocations etc. What I sometimes do is to create a ground attack mission and select the hexes that I think I will attack. I then do the rest of my air allocation, come back to this mission and cancel it. Create a GS mission and the planes 'available' will be the batch you just freed up (and you know they can hit your likely targets).

Other option is to click on the airgroup and that will take you to the airbase on the map - the little blue circle will show the range they can cover.

It sounds like you've covered this so check the global settings. It may be you need to reduce the % needed. This is a bit of an odd concept, the computer will decide it only wants to fly a particular mission if it has say 50 planes. If you've set this at 200% then it will only happen if it has 100 planes (this can work to your advantage when you want to concentrate your effort), if you set it to 50% then the mission will happen with only 25 planes.

You can't give GS at the divisional level, the lowest HQ level you can assign it for is the corps?
User avatar
Helpless
Posts: 15788
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:12 pm

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by Helpless »

Problem 1) When I try to change an HQ for any air unit or air base, the tactical air force simply doesn't appear. For units already in tac air, I can assign them missions and they fly normally (except for ground support, see below), and the air force appears in all the screens, I just can't assign anyone new to it. I've been transferring FBs from RAF tac 2 south, but putting them in the Malta AF, as well as new units from reserve.

Hard to tell what is missing without looking at save. P
Problem 2) No one ever flies ground support. I know I can only have one ground support mission per unit, the weather has been slightly rainy, but last turn it was fine. I tried redoing the last turn a number of times, with different AD mixes for both the tactical air force and the malta air force (and of course, I've moved everyone to front line bases). No matter what I do, or what I assign, no one ever flies ground support, even if I assign specific squadrons to specific ground units via the division counters. All other ADs work fine.

First thing to check if global GS setting is not off (GS-on/off on the top menu). One thing to remember is that GS can be called off if estimated odds are either too good or too bad.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2/CS-2 Development
User avatar
SaintEx
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: Near Paris

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by SaintEx »

Holy moly - there's a hotkey that turns off GS! I must have accidently brushed the x key at some point and turned off ground support. I feel very stupid.

In terms of my tactical airforce problem, I'm going to assume it's just as stupid, but it's still annoying and I can't figure it out. I'd attach the save but I have to admit ignorance - can't find how to do that.

Thanks, guys!
vonKotze
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by vonKotze »

Hey,

I'm just gonna tag on to this old thread.

I just don't get any ground support in my scenario. As Ally I am trying to attack Messina in 1943. As far as I know all the planes are in range, I have lowered the percentage number in the air doctrine window, and I have turned ground support on with the hotkey. Still no one taking off.

I can upload a savefile here, if you tell me how (it only seems to allow jpeg and txt?)
cfulbright
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 11:12 pm

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by cfulbright »

If you look at the top center of your screen, does it say, "GS-On" or "GS-Off"? See screenshot. If it says "GS-Off", hit the "x" key to turn it on.

To upload a save game, you have to put it in a Zip file first.

Cary

Image
Attachments
GSOff.jpg
GSOff.jpg (460.48 KiB) Viewed 395 times
User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33775
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by Joel Billings »

You can create a new thread in the tech support area where you can attach a zip file if you're still not seeing ground support and can't understand why. If you do, be sure to attach a save before an attack and tell us what hex to attack and with what units.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
vonKotze
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:10 pm

RE: Ground support and tactical air force

Post by vonKotze »

I've created a new thread in tech support
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”