problem with PBEM

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
dwayne
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:43 pm
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

problem with PBEM

Post by dwayne »

HELPPP!

I have started a PBEM game with Vath. He began the game, send me the files, I played my turn, send him back files, he played his first turn and send me current save back. Than the problem occured. I copy files in correct folder, open SPWaW an try to load save. The game give me error massege: "Can not open files". :mad: :mad:

Does someone know where is the problem? :( Why can not I open pbem save?

thanks
dwayne
Image
Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Possibly Vath didn't give enough time for the program to write the save files, thus they are corrupted. Just my guess.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
dwayne
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:43 pm
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

time

Post by dwayne »

how can he be sure it is ok?
dwayne
Image
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

As a rule...

Post by Warhorse »

I always try to count to at least 30 seconds when ending turn, before I actually exit the game, or you listen till the HDD stops working, then you are safe to exit.

Warhorse
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
gnoccop
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Cento, Italy

Post by gnoccop »

Watch the date and time of your e-mail battle

Three of them must have the same date and hour.
If this is not true the game can't load the files...

All the suggestion in the precedent post are good.

Before save (i.e. end your turn) check your HD is not in stand by (your system energy saving setup can put HD in stand by after a while....); you can wake up your HD simply moving into some directory with Explorer (not Iexplorer)...
Hope this help you...
"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)
Vathailos
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon May 12, 2003 11:29 pm
Location: In a van, down by the river.

Post by Vathailos »

I didn't know the "wait while it saves" rule Dwayne and may well have corrupted it. I have a pretty fast processor and a 512K RAM, so I can't imagine it'd be my system hanging up the process, but who knows...

I also found another suggestion that may help us get it right. In another post, someone said that we both must have the "fast artillery" option turned OFF so that the games are compatible.

I sure hope we can get this going. I opened the very first turn again (where we purchased it) and sent that one to you last. I'd deleted all the subsequent turns because I thought those were the corrupted ones.

Would you me to re-generate/purchase the scenario and send it to you (in essence, start over with all this knowledge)? Just let me know and I'll do my best to do it quickly.

Thanks,

~Vath
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

Originally posted by gnoccop

Before save (i.e. end your turn) check your HD is not in stand by (your system energy saving setup can put HD in stand by after a while....); you can wake up your HD simply moving into some directory with Explorer (not Iexplorer)...
Hope this help you...


When playing an extremely long turn, I found an easier way to 'wake up' the HD: just go into the encyclopedia and move the cursor down the list of units. You should see your HD activity light come on almost immediately.
Jim NSB ImageImage
User avatar
Bernie
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:18 am
Location: Depot HQ - Virginia
Contact:

Post by Bernie »

I seem to recall, in another thread, gmenfan saying that it's usually the "vcr playback" that gets corrupted, and that you can delete it and get the turn loaded.
What, me worry?
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

Originally posted by Bernie
I seem to recall, in another thread, gmenfan saying that it's usually the "vcr playback" that gets corrupted, and that you can delete it and get the turn loaded.


I read that too, and had a chance to try it. It works 'as advertised', but not having a VCR playback of your opponents turn can be a bit of a handicap. The alternative would be re-playing the turn.
Jim NSB ImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”