Campaign AAR

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by lnp4668:
Hi Bryan, enjoyed your campaign so far. I just obtained two books about Stalingrad (Enemy at the Gates and Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943) Have not finished reading them, but they don't seems to have a lot of information about unit compositions of the battle. Do you knows any good sources?
Try these web site out:
http://stalingrad.ic.ru/main.html http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/

these may help you locate what you are seeking. :D
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

Got a DV on the attack against collective farm (have to use one of my stug to crash through the last objective hex in a stone building since none of my infantry could reach it in time)

Also a DV on the advance to support the town (Verkhne-Kumski) held by German infantry. Lost my first stug to enemy tank fire (they seems impervious to frontal shot by enemy tanks so far :( ) However, the elite commander with 20+ kills survive :) )

It is now December 9th and I must breaks through to Stallingrad to rescue the 6th army. I guess somehow my battalion was left out of the encirclement and now is attached to the 6th Pz Divison. I sure hope that Manstein will be able to rescue my comrades trapped inside that infernal city.

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: lnp4668 ]
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

Once more we have had success. We've been pulled off line and refitted. The scout platoon's halftracks have been upgraded to SPW 250/10s. This model adds a small cannon to the track, giving it limited anto vehicle capacity. In addition we no longer have attached snipers. We now, however, have 3 LaS 762 tank destroyers. Each of these will be directly attached to one of the engineer platoons. We are down one scout team. I've been happy to award the Iron Cross First Class to Cpt. Briel


Battle Eleven:

Date: November 11, 1942
Location: Downtown Stalingrad

Mission: Apparently Army elements have not been able to exploit my last success and so we are going back into the Red Barricades area. While we hold most of what we took before, we now have new objectives. We must retake the Commissar's House. We must also take the manufacturing hall, and a number of enemy strongpoints.

Support: 1 flampanzer section

Aux: 3 rifle companies, 1 engineer company, 4 MG sections, 1 FO, 1 81 mm mortar platoon, 4 STuIG 33Bs, 1 105mm battery, 2 sturm companies.

The plan: Typical urban assault. Find them and push them out of thier holes.

Turn One: Heavy enemy contact. Limited progress made. We kill 5 squads and an ATR team and lose 1 squad and 2 MG teams.

Turn Two: More general fighting and slow advancing. The enemy loses 5 squads and we lose 1. Our artillery kills an enemy ATG position.

Turn Three: We push forward making some progress. 11 enemy squads fall. We lose a flampanzer due to carelessness. We also lose Lt Krause's mobile flak gun while it is engaged in infantry support. Some of the crew get out. *** Two enemy tanks are spotted. (Apparently, AI tanks can drive on walls without getting stuck :)

Turn Four: The advance continues as we, perhaps briefly, take a strongpoint. Our forces destroy 2 bunkers. We also drive an ATG crew away from their gun. We kill a MG team and a squad. Lt Krause and his crew survivors have remounted thier flak gun. It's immobile but is still functional.

Turn Five: We advance. We kill 4 squads, 1 MG team and an ATG, but lose a flampanzer. Our advance takes 2 more strongpoints. *** The enemy kills a StuIG with a molotov projector.

Turn Six: More advancing. 4 enemy squads and a MG team fall. A bunker is destroyed. We push into the manufacuting hall. We also take a strongpoint. We lose a squad. *** The enemy contests the advance everywhere. We lose 5 squads and they lose a tank and a MG team and retake three strongpoints.

Turn Seven: We try and advance. We lose a squad but destroy 3 enemy squads and a T-34. We also retake one strongpoint. *** We lose six more squads to the enemies one as they counterattack with force.

Turn Eight: More fighting. We take a strongpoint. We kill a MG team and two tanks and lose one of the new LaS's *** The enemy retakes two strongpoints. We lose five more squads and they lose 2 tanks.

Turn Nine: We are stalled everywhere. We're out gunneed, out numbered, and have only 4 platoons over half strength. In order to save as many men as possible, I order a withdrawl. We lose two squads as we start to break contact. *** Enemy pursuit costs us three squads and costs them a tank.

Turn Ten: Lead elements of recon platoon withdraw. We lose a squad. *** The enemy pursues and retakes all objecectives. They lose two squads and we lose three.

Turn Eleven: We lose 2 squads and they lose a tank.

Turn Twelve: Briel's platoon, the mobile flak gun, 3rd Platoons LaS, recon's last vehicle and three mortar tracks withdraw.

Turn Thirteen: We lose one squad.

Turn Fourteen: Half of Stotz's platoon and the last mortar track withdraw.

We end in a draw: 3467 to 1628.

Losses: 571 men and 5 AFVs. (Ger) 752 men and 5 AFVs (USSR)

While there were a lot of things I did not like about this scen, I'm not gonna make any excuses or complaints. I got my butt kicked plain and simple.
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

So what will be your next battle? I hope you will not be stuck in Stallingrad because operation Uranus have already began.
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by lnp4668:
So what will be your next battle? I hope you will not be stuck in Stallingrad because operation Uranus have already began.

Should be resting and refiting in a quiet sector where the thunder of Russian Artillery can be heard off in the distance - somewhere - out there - where the Rumanains reside ;)

That will determine the effects..

Note - I may have a Text error on last Winter Storm Battle. If you win a decieve - you should read that you saved Paulus. If anyone gets that far - let me know if you see the text that states that you saved Paulus and the 6'th Army.. on a decisive win.

Last Winter Storm Battle should be easy :D
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

I just finished the last battle of operation Winter Storm at Myshkova river with a DV (7121/11) and the text said that we must withdrawn (historically accurate but very disapointing :( )

I even compile an AAR, but not wishing to steal Alexandra's thunder :), I'll wait to read her instead.

I was thinking it would be really cool if someone could manage to stay in Stallingrad and present it from the 6th army's POV, maybe actually lets Thunder Clap occur while another present it from the Winter Storm's POV. Too bad I overwrite my saved game. :(

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: lnp4668 ]
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

I even compile an AAR, but not wishing to steal Alexandra's thunder :), I'll wait to read her instead.

Don't worry about stealing any thunder. I'm so frustrated by the first two turns of my next scen - and the campaign as a whole, that I'm shelving it for now. I may, or may not, go back to it.

Alex
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by lnp4668:
I just finished the last battle of operation Winter Storm at Myshkova river with a DV (7121/11) and the text said that we must withdrawn (historically accurate but very disapointing :( )

I even compile an AAR, but not wishing to steal Alexandra's thunder :), I'll wait to read her instead.

I was thinking it would be really cool if someone could manage to stay in Stallingrad and present it from the 6th army's POV, maybe actually lets Thunder Clap occur while another present it from the Winter Storm's POV. Too bad I overwrite my saved game. :(

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: lnp4668 ]

Thanks and I'll see what happened to the correct text file. I will add an update to this Campaign that will include Thunderclap as well as be an overall longer Campaign. Due to posting deadline I was not able to add these. Please give me some ideas on what you would like to see? A branch that involves the drive to the Caucus Mountians and Oil Fields? Several what if branches?

Alex - I can send you a save file of campaign battle so you can move on and have fun and not become so frustrated.

Sorry :(

Please email me.

Alex, hope you did not end up in Stalingrad as the only way to win in that branch is to lose (a) battle and KPG Commander becomes wounded and flown out of the cauldron while maintaining high win ratio as end text file states for that branch. Rather realistic and fustrating at the same time.
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

Originally posted by Alexandra:
I even compile an AAR, but not wishing to steal Alexandra's thunder :), I'll wait to read her instead.

Don't worry about stealing any thunder. I'm so frustrated by the first two turns of my next scen - and the campaign as a whole, that I'm shelving it for now. I may, or may not, go back to it.

Alex
I have been doing a lot of reading on the battle of Stalingrad, and your frustration probably reflect a lot of German generals' frustration with Stalingrad during that time. Your decision to stick with historical force composition also probably contributed to the difficulty level of the campaign. Just think of it this way, if the best army of the third reich could not win the battle; you aren't doing too bad. ;) So hope you will continue and just have fun no matter what the result.
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

Originally posted by BryanMelvin:
[QB]


Thanks and I'll see what happened to the correct text file. I will add an update to this Campaign that will include Thunderclap as well as be an overall longer Campaign. Due to posting deadline I was not able to add these. Please give me some ideas on what you would like to see? A branch that involves the drive to the Caucus Mountians and Oil Fields? Several what if branches?
QB]
Would be great if you could add more to this campaign. I think that historians are still debating if Paulus have ignore Hitler and lets the 6th Army retreat, will he saved the army or be wipeout like Napoleon. So a great branching point would be if you can not obtain victory against the SO in Stallingrad, you will have to decide whether to break out early or wait for more reinforcement and gets surrounded.(sounds like a MC :D )

A branch toward the Caucasus probably dilute the effect of following 6th army's path, but how about Manstein ignore the collapse of the Italian on his flank and push on to rescue the 6th Army? Or what if he started Winter Storm at the closest point to the entrapped army and have to face stronger opposition (SO 5th tank army) but less distance to cover?

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: lnp4668 ]
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

I have been doing a lot of reading on the battle of Stalingrad, and your frustration probably reflect a lot of German generals' frustration with Stalingrad during that time. Your decision to stick with historical force composition also probably contributed to the difficulty level of the campaign. Just think of it this way, if the best army of the third reich could not win the battle; you aren't doing too bad. ;) So hope you will continue and just have fun no matter what the result.[/QB][/QUOTE]


Firstly, 6th Army was by no means the German's best army, at least IMO. Next, I'm not frustrated by results, I think result wise I'm doing fine. It's a lot of design things that are annoying me to no end.

Alex
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

I think that historians are still debating if Paulus have ignore Hitler and lets the 6th Army retreat, will he saved the army or be wipeout like Napoleon.

Not possible. The historians who claim that are the same ones that say Rommel coulda got to the oil fields of the mid-east. In both cases they ignore logistics. After the successful Operation Saturn, and the creation of the kessel, 6th Army lacked both the strength and the fuel to break out. That was why Manstein had to get so close, before OKH would give the breakout order. It was doubtful if 6th Army could go twenty miles on it's own.

A branch toward the Caucasus probably dilute the effect of following 6th army's path, but how about Manstein ignore the collapse of the Italian on his flank and push on to rescue the 6th Army?

Then it's a bigger Kessel, and a greater German disaster. A better what if might be - what if the 1st SS Panzer Corps had been given to AG South as a reserve, and had been committed to stop the initial attacks on the Rumanians.

Alex
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by Alexandra:

Firstly, 6th Army was by no means the German's best army, at least IMO. Next, I'm not frustrated by results, I think result wise I'm doing fine. It's a lot of design things that are annoying me to no end.

Alex
Game engine design or bugs? What is it you are seeing?
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

Originally posted by Alexandra:
I think that historians are still debating if Paulus have ignore Hitler and lets the 6th Army retreat, will he saved the army or be wipeout like Napoleon.

Not possible. The historians who claim that are the same ones that say Rommel coulda got to the oil fields of the mid-east. In both cases they ignore logistics. After the successful Operation Saturn, and the creation of the kessel, 6th Army lacked both the strength and the fuel to break out. That was why Manstein had to get so close, before OKH would give the breakout order. It was doubtful if 6th Army could go twenty miles on it's own.Alex
I think that if Paulus have realized the extend of Uranus, he should have attempt to hold off the encirclement at Kalach instead of waiting for the circle to close. It was Hitler's order to hold on to Stalingrad at all cost that trapped the 6th army and slowly drain its strength so that by the time Little Saturn begins the 6th Army no longer have the strength to break out.

Originally posted by Alexandra:

A branch toward the Caucasus probably dilute the effect of following 6th army's path, but how about Manstein ignore the collapse of the Italian on his flank and push on to rescue the 6th Army?

Then it's a bigger Kessel, and a greater German disaster. A better what if might be - what if the 1st SS Panzer Corps had been given to AG South as a reserve, and had been committed to stop the initial attacks on the Rumanians.

Alex
Agree with you there. The German overextend themselves, and by the time Manstein took over, 6th Army is pretty much a sacrifical lamb to hold the 6 SO Armies so that Army Group A could escape from the Caucasus. I think it was the German's needs to rely on the satellite countries' troop who was not adequately prepared for armors defense that was the ultimate reason for its defeat.
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

Originally posted by BryanMelvin:


Game engine design or bugs? What is it you are seeing?
Scenario design. I'll email you privately, if you like about them.

Alex
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
User avatar
Alexandra
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by Alexandra »

Hmm, it wouldn't let me quote your first part :) I think you bring up good points there. 6th Army may have been able to withdraw prior to the encirclement. They also may have been too beat up from the heavy city fighting to pull it off. I don't think that question can ever be answered :)

Agree with you there. The German overextend themselves, and by the time Manstein took over, 6th Army is pretty much a sacrifical lamb to hold the 6 SO Armies so that Army Group A could escape from the Caucasus. I think it was the German's needs to rely on the satellite countries' troop who was not adequately prepared for armors defense that was the ultimate reason for its defeat

I think it was choice rather than need. The Germans looked down on the other nations abilites to fight, but it was more often equipment and not ability that made the diff. I think SP doesn't reflect that well, but that's a side issue. If the Germans had given the Italians and Rumanians decent AT capability I think that they could have held the flanks. But, if all I had to stop KVs were 45 and 47mm ATG's, I'd run too!

Alex
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by Alexandra:


Scenario design. I'll email you privately, if you like about them.

Alex
Email me by all means..
lnp4668
Posts: 493
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
Contact:

Post by lnp4668 »

Originally posted by Alexandra:
Hmm, it wouldn't let me quote your first part :) I think you bring up good points there. 6th Army may have been able to withdraw prior to the encirclement. They also may have been too beat up from the heavy city fighting to pull it off. I don't think that question can ever be answered :)
Alex
Well, we armchair generals have 20/20 vision of hindsight, and our arguments don't affect thousand of lives, so it is easy to second guess what they should have done :rolleyes:
Originally posted by Alexandra:

I think it was choice rather than need. The Germans looked down on the other nations abilites to fight, but it was more often equipment and not ability that made the diff. I think SP doesn't reflect that well, but that's a side issue. If the Germans had given the Italians and Rumanians decent AT capability I think that they could have held the flanks. But, if all I had to stop KVs were 45 and 47mm ATG's, I'd run too!

Alex
Yes, many of the Rumanian and Italian fought bravely, but was overun by SO tanks. And the German in the Kessel also ran from the tank when they run out of AT ammo. I just point out the German's reliant on these armies to protect their flanks while not bother to equip them.
"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators."

Les Miserables
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”