Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

After Action Reports
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 64
19th July 1941


And the Allies get a double turn. Reinforcements and replacements continue to move to the front, all air units not 'dark green' are placed on rest (air units are now up to sixteen). This leaves the turn to consist of bombardment at Tobruk and also the reinforced 9th Indian Brigade attacking the German Oasis battalions.

For this latter operation the Duke of York Cavalry Regt. and the 5th Fusiliers have been sent west to Wahat Girba to cut off supply to the German units. Meanwhile the three battalions of the 9th Indian Brigade have got into position to attack the company furthest east. The 144th Field Artillery softens up the defenders.

The 3rd Battalion, 12th FFR Regt. then makes an attack that forces the surviving Germans to the northwest, and at the same time the DOY Cavalry Regt. moves down the track to El Al Thed to assault the western most company of German troops.

The Indian Cavalry succeed in pushing the Germans out of position and they retreat to the north, hotly pursued by the Indian troops. Unfortunately the Fusiliers to the northwest are unable to assist.

Meanwhile an attack by the entire 9th Brigade, against the surviving Germans to the east, pushes the enemy further back, splitting the German force into three.

The turn ends at that unfortunate moment - I should have attacked one round earlier.

Image
Attachments
Untitled4.jpg
Untitled4.jpg (326.46 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: DanNeely

ORIGINAL: warspite1

MMmm I'm struggling to decide how to play this now. The AI is doing some pretty dumb things (see below), but I don't want to just sit and wait forever - there's limited fun in that.

So I think I will just continue on with the relief of Tobruk (hopefully). I have counted at least two German panzer regiments and plenty of Afrika Korps artillery so I will need to be careful.

Let Operation Crusader begin!

FWIW the odds are against Elmer responding better if you wait. The Italians you killed the previous few turns were probably everything assigned to guard the eastern flank, the German's will remain fixated on Tobruk until/unless a fall back trigger is reached.
warspite1

Wow you were right about that! Moving two small weak commando units west of Tobruk has caused the AI to go into a panic and sent a billion troops to sort it out! The good news is that those HQ and tank units that were placed in front of my lines have retreated to investigate commandos.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 64 - Axis Turn
16th July 1941


Interesting. The AI turn consisted precisely of this:

Image

Presumably this is because so many artillery units were withdrawn to deal with the commandos to the west. There was no attack either against the LRDG.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


Well that is more than a little disappointing....The various units I expected to be withdrawn have been (including the 9th Indian Bde - so that brings the Battle of Siwa to a close!), but so too have the 18th Australian Brigade and they were not earmarked to be withdrawn.

So without any notice I've just lost 3 Infantry Battalions, a Cavalry Regiment and a Field Artillery Regiment from Tobruk????
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
devoncop
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by devoncop »

Still following avidly but two things seem evident

1) The PO still has issues over a longer Campaign

and

2) You seem to now be much more familiar with mechanics so it would be great to read an AAR of the same scenario (or even a different one) with you playing an MP game ....the style you have is very engaging and you would not have to deal with a suicidal PO....

What do you reckon?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


Well that is more than a little disappointing....The various units I expected to be withdrawn have been (including the 9th Indian Bde - so that brings the Battle of Siwa to a close!), but so too have the 18th Australian Brigade and they were not earmarked to be withdrawn.

So without any notice I've just lost 3 Infantry Battalions, a Cavalry Regiment and a Field Artillery Regiment from Tobruk????
Are any of them being withdrawn in place of destroyed units?
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


Well that is more than a little disappointing....The various units I expected to be withdrawn have been (including the 9th Indian Bde - so that brings the Battle of Siwa to a close!), but so too have the 18th Australian Brigade and they were not earmarked to be withdrawn.

So without any notice I've just lost 3 Infantry Battalions, a Cavalry Regiment and a Field Artillery Regiment from Tobruk????
Are any of them being withdrawn in place of destroyed units?
warspite1

I don't think so - I haven't had that many actually destroyed and so assume this is part of the same problem as I had with 6th Australian Division earlier in the game.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Still following avidly but two things seem evident

1) The PO still has issues over a longer Campaign

and

2) You seem to now be much more familiar with mechanics so it would be great to read an AAR of the same scenario (or even a different one) with you playing an MP game ....the style you have is very engaging and you would not have to deal with a suicidal PO....

What do you reckon?
warspite1

I wouldn't mind an MP game - although with two caveats a) I can't promise I won't embarrass myself against a real opponent, and b) I need someone to explain in plain English how I get from the Play Online button to actually being able to play online. I tried create log in but it doesn't want to know [:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
devoncop
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by devoncop »

Well I finally took the plunge and purchased the game this afternoon, partly down to your excellent AAR so will be hitting some tutorials to make sure I have the basics sorted (also thank you Oberst Klink btw!) . I will check out the MP procedure. The PBEM++ system I have found very easy with FOG2 and Pike and Shot and I am an IT Neanderthal but if I can answer your MP query I will PM you.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: devoncop

Well I finally took the plunge and purchased the game this afternoon, partly down to your excellent AAR so will be hitting some tutorials to make sure I have the basics sorted (also thank you Oberst Klink btw!) . I will check out the MP procedure. The PBEM++ system I have found very easy with FOG2 and Pike and Shot and I am an IT Neanderthal but if I can answer your MP query I will PM you.

warspite1

The question is; which one of us is going to be the dastardly Hun?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


The news that half the garrison of Tobruk has suddenly departed for Egypt without warning overnight has sent the Tobruk garrison into a state of absolute blind panic (below right). Meanwhile Lt-General Morshead re-arranges his forces (below left). Cunningham ensures that the 22nd Guards Brigade HQ and the 149th Anti-Tank Regt. are ferried into the port as quickly as possible so that Morshead can move two battalions of Polish troops into the western strong point.

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
devoncop
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by devoncop »




[/quote]warspite1

The question is; which one of us is going to be the dastardly Hun?

[/quote]

More than happy to play Axis but will need a bit of time to catch up with your experience as I, like yourself have played a lot of WW2 strategy games and precisely no games at all of TOAW system [:)]
I will PM you and we can maybe get an MP game going. Then we just have to decide which of the hundreds of scenarios we want to play [;)]
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

The question is; which one of us is going to be the dastardly Hun?

devoncop

More than happy to play Axis but will need a bit of time to catch up with your experience as I, like yourself have played a lot of WW2 strategy games and precisely no games at all of TOAW system [:)]
I will PM you and we can maybe get an MP game going. Then we just have to decide which of the hundreds of scenarios we want to play [;)]

[/quote]warspite1

Okay no problem, take your time and tell me when you fancy it - but as for the scenario it should be either this one or (more fun for the Axis) this one but the version that starts with the Italian invasion of Egypt.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


The Desert Air Force is now up to 18 units with the addition of two more new South African squadrons. Half of these are on rest in preparation for the big one.


Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 65
23rd July 1941


The Commandos have done their job - they caused large-scale diversion of Axis forces - and then disappeared into the desert.

There are just two bombardments this turn, causing 6% and 5% losses.

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (163.76 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 65 - Axis Turn
23rd July 1941


Four attacks on Tobruk yield 10% losses, but an attack on the fleet yields predictably bad results for the Luftwaffe.....

13% this time - pressure starting to build

Mmmm now its getting serious - 14% against the western strong point alone. At least 7 artillery (six German) launched that barrage....

A similar result is achieved, although this time spread over three attacks.

Two attacks but without loss to either side this time

After that brief lull the Germans are back up to 21%. Time for Crusader me thinks....

But then the next three attacks give just 2%, and the final round 0%.

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (170.36 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 66
26th July 1941


Efficient work from from the Royal Navy and the troops assigned to dock duty at Tobruk; more reinforcements flood in to the port. The 1st South Staffordshire infantry battalion and the 1st Polish Anti-Tank Regt. reinforce the beleaguered troops within the perimeter.

Operation Crusader is postponed once again however, and a quick look at the status of the New Zealand Division confirms why....

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 66
26th July 1941


With supplies running low, the Euryalus group head for Egypt and are replaced by a new group of four ships, including two cruisers Arthusa and Naiad.

The results are considered acceptable.

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 66 - Axis Turn
26th July 1941


I have a nasty feeling the Axis will attack this turn and that the western strong point will be the target.....

There are five attacks on Tobruk - the Allied air forces come out slightly worse 11 vs 10 aircraft downed in an attack against the escort vessels. An equally bloody encounter follows against the main fleet - 41 Axis aircraft loss for 19 in return. The land bombardments yield 12% losses in total.

The third round gives 9% vs 3% in the Axis favour.

The fifth round is something of a damp squib - 5% losses over three bombardments.

Things don't get appreciably better for the Axis in round 6 - 8% over four bombardments.

6% from two barrages - my feeling of foreboding may have been thankfully mis-placed.

5% vs 2% in round 8 gets worse - 4% vs 3% in the final round.

Image
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (157.25 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Campaign For North Africa 40D-43

Post by warspite1 »

Turn 67
30th July 1941


Operation Crusader is finally launched!

My previously stated plan was not to attack HQ that the AI had unwittingly put in harms way, however where those HQ's are very much in my way then I have no choice.

The 9th Australian and 2nd Armoured Divisions attack along the coast road. Wavell has concerns as both divisions are under-strength (three battalions of Aussie infantry are in Tobruk), while 2nd Armoured lacks tanks, infantry, artillery and anti-tank - but is otherwise up to the maximum T+OE.

The New Zealand 6th Brigade combine with 7th Armoured to try and clear the Trigh Capuzzo, while the 5th NZ Brigade engages Italian armour south of El Adem. The 4th Brigade begin an envelopment manoeuvre toward 'Knightsbridge'.

To the south the sole brigade of the 4th Indian Division (supported by the 3rd Motor Brigade) watch for any Italian incursion toward Bardia. Wavell curses the South African troops unpreparedness as he would ideally have liked to push the Indians further west to try and block reinforcements to the Tobruk perimeter.

Image
Attachments
Crusader 1.jpg
Crusader 1.jpg (350.7 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”