Viking (US) vs. Vathailos (GE)
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
KingTigers have been spotted, one in overwatch on a large hill in the center. On his side of the map. Another in the woods near the front. The Kingtiger was guaded by a RCL105mm As the US troops pick through the wreckage on both they do remake on their fine engineering.
There are many German snipers out there:p
There are many German snipers out there:p
Alibi
Oh geesh. I think I am 1/2 to blame for the confusion. I played your turn 11, sent it back to you, received same file in return, then I sent back your own turn to you instead of my turn 11 play.
I've finally realized what the heck is happening (after you were forced to re-play your turn 11 - with much better ending placement for you I might add
), and I've sent the correct turn (MY turn 11 play) back to your in-box this morning.
This should fix things.
We'll get there, won't we Viking?

I've finally realized what the heck is happening (after you were forced to re-play your turn 11 - with much better ending placement for you I might add
This should fix things.
We'll get there, won't we Viking?
Turn 11 GE
Much action this turn in the North. The DUK carrying an Airborne squad that assaulted/killed the King Tiger (after the KT missed point-blank, fitting punishment for poor gunnery I say) has been destroyed, a Sherman in overwatch killed by 105mm recoilless, and Quad .50 killed as well (if I remember correctly). A Greyhound is shot at, but not killed.
Nothing much in the center of the map, a sniper gets the last member of a M9 Bazooka team. One recon AC gets a lucky shot on a Greyhound there and damages its main gun, then runs and hides.
But to the South, a 57mm AT gun has had a heyday with my reconnaissance assets there. I can’t spot it, and it sees even my two-man teams as they move and lights them up. It takes out a recon AC with OP fire. We spot and destroy one Ranger squad in our AO that’d just called in a massive artillery barrage on our mortars in the South.
Nothing much in the center of the map, a sniper gets the last member of a M9 Bazooka team. One recon AC gets a lucky shot on a Greyhound there and damages its main gun, then runs and hides.
But to the South, a 57mm AT gun has had a heyday with my reconnaissance assets there. I can’t spot it, and it sees even my two-man teams as they move and lights them up. It takes out a recon AC with OP fire. We spot and destroy one Ranger squad in our AO that’d just called in a massive artillery barrage on our mortars in the South.
Turn 12 GE
In the North, the US lays down smoke in a possible effort to screen an attack. We hope he decides to test our defenses there
, I believe from the shelling he’s already spotted a few of our Tigers. A crewman takes on one of our snipers up close, and dies (possibly turn 11).
In the center, the enemy is moving snipers and recon teams forward to spot our larger units and trying to take them out with his massive artillery. A Panther moves to engage the injured Greyhound in a thick farm field. The first 75mm shot misses, and the Greyhound retreats.
Still not sure how he did it, but in the South, there are fireworks the likes of which we’ve not seen yet. I moved all those units after I’d killed his Ranger squad, but an even larger artillery strike lands on moving Jagedpanthers and their recon escorts. None of the TDs are injured, and move out in the first real advance of the game.
Part of our recon screen forward of the TDs contacts the enemy. An Airborne squad opens up on a MC squad, killing two and forcing them to retreat. A 234/1 with them rolls forward to be greeted by an M9 Bazooka team in ambush. The US team misses, eats direct 88mm fire from a Jagedpanther, and the 234/1 destroys them once suppressed. It then tries to check the opposite side of the hill only to find a waiting Hellcat which turns and fires at them (barely missing). The Panzerfaust team it was carrying quickly dismounts and fires upon the Hellcat, only to find that their range is too short! (Arrrg! these are 30’s, not 60’s, and only fired a rifle!). The return fire from the Hellcat kills one of the team members, and the other retreats. The 234/1 rallies and puts a single HE volley in the open turret of the Hellcat from two hexes away, and it explodes!
We will see how Colonel Viking reacts to this latest development…
One thing is certain, his gun tubes are red-hot right now.
In the center, the enemy is moving snipers and recon teams forward to spot our larger units and trying to take them out with his massive artillery. A Panther moves to engage the injured Greyhound in a thick farm field. The first 75mm shot misses, and the Greyhound retreats.
Still not sure how he did it, but in the South, there are fireworks the likes of which we’ve not seen yet. I moved all those units after I’d killed his Ranger squad, but an even larger artillery strike lands on moving Jagedpanthers and their recon escorts. None of the TDs are injured, and move out in the first real advance of the game.
Part of our recon screen forward of the TDs contacts the enemy. An Airborne squad opens up on a MC squad, killing two and forcing them to retreat. A 234/1 with them rolls forward to be greeted by an M9 Bazooka team in ambush. The US team misses, eats direct 88mm fire from a Jagedpanther, and the 234/1 destroys them once suppressed. It then tries to check the opposite side of the hill only to find a waiting Hellcat which turns and fires at them (barely missing). The Panzerfaust team it was carrying quickly dismounts and fires upon the Hellcat, only to find that their range is too short! (Arrrg! these are 30’s, not 60’s, and only fired a rifle!). The return fire from the Hellcat kills one of the team members, and the other retreats. The 234/1 rallies and puts a single HE volley in the open turret of the Hellcat from two hexes away, and it explodes!
We will see how Colonel Viking reacts to this latest development…
One thing is certain, his gun tubes are red-hot right now.
The Hellcat will be missed
The AC pays the price a M4 takes it out, it took several shots:eek:
Fire on a Japapanther in overwatch on a hill leads to it being disabled, normally the Japapanther does not fear the sherman at all, but with no turrent. The disable Jadapanthers crew starts scrabling to get out but its too late. The crew in the M4 miss their buddies in the hellcat but feel a little better now.
My opponent loves snipers and has lots of them, so hunting them has become a priorty
The AC pays the price a M4 takes it out, it took several shots:eek:
Fire on a Japapanther in overwatch on a hill leads to it being disabled, normally the Japapanther does not fear the sherman at all, but with no turrent. The disable Jadapanthers crew starts scrabling to get out but its too late. The crew in the M4 miss their buddies in the hellcat but feel a little better now.
My opponent loves snipers and has lots of them, so hunting them has become a priorty
The Jadapanther force push foward, into a smoke sceen, previously put down by Germans, in the smoke Rangers were hiding assaulting and killing a Jadapanther. Halktracks and Jeeps appear behind the other Jadapanthers. As they spin quikly to fight off the possible assaults. A 3inch AT gun, that was ordered not to fire dis-spite the 57mm AT guns to his flanks got pounded by the Jadapanthers last turn. Opens fire killing two Jadapanthers.
A Hellcat races in and gets side/rear shot kills on two other Jadapanthers.
Last turn German forces captured the Vhexes in the south, a Panther is still on the Vhexs, atry is called to that location, killing the Panther with a bottom hit ? ( don't know how that works)
More German snipers keep being found in the south and north.
A US recon squad tries to get a better look at the forces in the south gets cut to peices by a MG42
A Hellcat races in and gets side/rear shot kills on two other Jadapanthers.
Last turn German forces captured the Vhexes in the south, a Panther is still on the Vhexs, atry is called to that location, killing the Panther with a bottom hit ? ( don't know how that works)
More German snipers keep being found in the south and north.
A US recon squad tries to get a better look at the forces in the south gets cut to peices by a MG42
Bowing out...
That was... well. I don't know what to call that. The smoke blocks my vision, but the US shoots straight through it? Magically appearing infantry? Many Jagedpanthers (7 fire control?), not significantly supressed, only 2 OP-fire and miss with everything from two hexes?
I had 7 Jagedpanthers, with recon (MC, AT, Sniper) among them, that had just rolled behind a low hill on the far south of the map.
There was very limited visibility to their fronts, but they had spotted two 57mm AT guns that had just there moved the turn prior (there speed was like 19mph), and engage them. Each was shot with three 88mm HE shells, and (I thought) supressed.
Then, a jeep appears out of nowhere to their rear, and both Jagedpanthers miss it with everything. They did not have high supression, they were not fired upon prior.
Somehow, an airborne (the VCR said Airborne I thought, not Ranger) squad appears directly behind one Jagedpanther. It spins, and shoots them, causing two casualties, and they withdraw to behind another Jagedpanther. Which they successfully assault and kill, then kill the crew?! Rally, rally, rally, rally... and so on I guess.
Now that the Jagedpanthers have exposed their rears to the enemy, M4's and Hellcats pop over a small rise and light them up. Then through the smoke a 57mm kills two more?!
On the subject of smoke, in the low center of the map, I'd just taken 4 VH's, and popped smoke ("D") with two Panthers AND a MC squad that drove there, at the end of my turn, prior to e-mailing it. At the beginning of the enemy's turn, he shoots right through it??!!! WTF over? I can't sight him through smoke or fog of war after three turns? How come my smoke dissipates so quickly?
I'm new to PBEM SPW@W, but this stuff never happens against the AI. Is what just happened normal? Does this stuff happen frequently?
I'm sorry, but using historical crews, I don't see a half track, airborne squad, and 60mm jeep taking out 6 Jagedpanthers that aren't supressed and are in a relatively good position tactically (behind a rise and smoked in).
If this is typical of PBEM engagements, I'll have a lot more learning to do. I couldn't have won this game with 50 Kingtigers with this kind of interraction.
I don't play the US too often, can Airborne infantry just pop up out of nowhere without a plane going over? They don't infiltrate do they? And even if they do, that'd have to be some SERIOUS timing to get them right behind those Jagedpanthers the turn they moved there. I replayed that earlier turn, with the "*" on and my rearmost Jagedpanthers were NOT seen by the enemy. To me that indicates that there was not a squad hiding in sight of them. Am I correct?
Not at all pleased.
Matter of fact, view the last turn sent back to me to play in which all this transpired. My password was "victory" as the Germans.
Here's the turn:
I had 7 Jagedpanthers, with recon (MC, AT, Sniper) among them, that had just rolled behind a low hill on the far south of the map.
There was very limited visibility to their fronts, but they had spotted two 57mm AT guns that had just there moved the turn prior (there speed was like 19mph), and engage them. Each was shot with three 88mm HE shells, and (I thought) supressed.
Then, a jeep appears out of nowhere to their rear, and both Jagedpanthers miss it with everything. They did not have high supression, they were not fired upon prior.
Somehow, an airborne (the VCR said Airborne I thought, not Ranger) squad appears directly behind one Jagedpanther. It spins, and shoots them, causing two casualties, and they withdraw to behind another Jagedpanther. Which they successfully assault and kill, then kill the crew?! Rally, rally, rally, rally... and so on I guess.
Now that the Jagedpanthers have exposed their rears to the enemy, M4's and Hellcats pop over a small rise and light them up. Then through the smoke a 57mm kills two more?!
On the subject of smoke, in the low center of the map, I'd just taken 4 VH's, and popped smoke ("D") with two Panthers AND a MC squad that drove there, at the end of my turn, prior to e-mailing it. At the beginning of the enemy's turn, he shoots right through it??!!! WTF over? I can't sight him through smoke or fog of war after three turns? How come my smoke dissipates so quickly?
I'm new to PBEM SPW@W, but this stuff never happens against the AI. Is what just happened normal? Does this stuff happen frequently?
I'm sorry, but using historical crews, I don't see a half track, airborne squad, and 60mm jeep taking out 6 Jagedpanthers that aren't supressed and are in a relatively good position tactically (behind a rise and smoked in).
If this is typical of PBEM engagements, I'll have a lot more learning to do. I couldn't have won this game with 50 Kingtigers with this kind of interraction.
I don't play the US too often, can Airborne infantry just pop up out of nowhere without a plane going over? They don't infiltrate do they? And even if they do, that'd have to be some SERIOUS timing to get them right behind those Jagedpanthers the turn they moved there. I replayed that earlier turn, with the "*" on and my rearmost Jagedpanthers were NOT seen by the enemy. To me that indicates that there was not a squad hiding in sight of them. Am I correct?
Not at all pleased.
Matter of fact, view the last turn sent back to me to play in which all this transpired. My password was "victory" as the Germans.
Here's the turn:
Ok I'm not sure whats going on, but the Airborn squad was in the smoke it move one foward spotted three Jadapanthers. The squad took one more step and thats when the Japapanther shot and chased them away they rallyed and assaulted the 3rd Jadapanther and killed it. What you did not spot was the other AT guns that where set to very low range and had spotted your tanks as well. I didn't fire thought smoke you were at the edge of it. The 57mm that shot you you shot the turn before.
The smoke you moved into was on its second turn, the higher the vis the quicker the smoke clears. Your did suppress the 57mm AT gun both of them. one of them rallied. The Jadapanthers in question had no infantry support and had gone through two turns of 155mm arty fire.
The halftrack ( which was trying to bring more troops to assault ) was acctually behind the Jadapanthers to start with. Two hexes above and one to two behind the Jadapanther. Right where the crew shot at your sniper. The US crew and the two man recon squad had no line of site foward past 3 to four hexa so the halftrack and jeep drove on the crest of the ridge.
The last two turns I was concentrating on you infantry support, those MC's and knowing that just about every vehical I had engaged so far had snipers riding on them, I assumed you had snipers down there as well. Thats why I kept throwing arty down there. If arty falls close to your troop it reduses their spotting ability. And its not just the speed of your units that go into it they are spotted size has allot to do with it. Jadapanthers are big. Those 105RCL where lighting me up up north and I never saw them. Its because there size is 1.
Now as far as the Panther in the Vhexs. I could not see it from the front. But a recon squad sitting on a 20 height hill almost parallel to the Panther spotted it when I clicked on them.
This was a close "cat and mouse game" you had a bad turn you knew it when you sent the last turn to me there could be trouble and you were in a bad position. I was a good game, I thought you were playing well and the game was fairly even. So I don't know why your bowing out we can switchs and I can paly the Germans if you wish.

Two answer the question AT guns and a TD took out all your Jadapanthers save one, which was assaulted by the Airborn squad. The jeep was brought in to kill the crews
The smoke you moved into was on its second turn, the higher the vis the quicker the smoke clears. Your did suppress the 57mm AT gun both of them. one of them rallied. The Jadapanthers in question had no infantry support and had gone through two turns of 155mm arty fire.
The halftrack ( which was trying to bring more troops to assault ) was acctually behind the Jadapanthers to start with. Two hexes above and one to two behind the Jadapanther. Right where the crew shot at your sniper. The US crew and the two man recon squad had no line of site foward past 3 to four hexa so the halftrack and jeep drove on the crest of the ridge.
The last two turns I was concentrating on you infantry support, those MC's and knowing that just about every vehical I had engaged so far had snipers riding on them, I assumed you had snipers down there as well. Thats why I kept throwing arty down there. If arty falls close to your troop it reduses their spotting ability. And its not just the speed of your units that go into it they are spotted size has allot to do with it. Jadapanthers are big. Those 105RCL where lighting me up up north and I never saw them. Its because there size is 1.
Now as far as the Panther in the Vhexs. I could not see it from the front. But a recon squad sitting on a 20 height hill almost parallel to the Panther spotted it when I clicked on them.
This was a close "cat and mouse game" you had a bad turn you knew it when you sent the last turn to me there could be trouble and you were in a bad position. I was a good game, I thought you were playing well and the game was fairly even. So I don't know why your bowing out we can switchs and I can paly the Germans if you wish.
Two answer the question AT guns and a TD took out all your Jadapanthers save one, which was assaulted by the Airborn squad. The jeep was brought in to kill the crews
Reviewed
Weather: Clear
Visibility: 20
I still don't know how that smoke disappeared between the end of my turn (when I popped it) and the beginning of yours, but that Airborne squad of yours North of my Panthers could see the lead one clear as day.
Also, I didn't see a HT back behind my Jagdpanthers. Two turns before, they were there carrying an Airborne squad. But when I looked at your side (thanks for your PW btw), they were where my kubelwagon had spotted them, before you killed it
. They were parked (empty) behind those two buildings to my TD's North. In the VCR replay, my Jagdpanthers didn't OP-fire your HT as it came in until it was right behind them, but I think that was because your jeep ran at them first, IIRC.
But all my TD's had pushed up into the "ambush" point, and the only unit you had to the East of them was a lone sniper, and he was actually not able to sight them because he was Northeast of them, and the ridge blocked them. I think you may have picked up that 12-man squad that shot up the MC squad two turns earlier. If you open up my turn, and look at the supression on my Jagdpanthers, you'll see they'd rallied pretty well. They had quite a disappointing OP-fire, deserved what they got I guess.
I won't buy many of them in the future, that's for sure.
Thanks for the lesson though. I had no idea so much could go wrong in one turn
.
If you'd like a rematch, I'm game. I might not be so easy next time
.
Visibility: 20
I still don't know how that smoke disappeared between the end of my turn (when I popped it) and the beginning of yours, but that Airborne squad of yours North of my Panthers could see the lead one clear as day.
Also, I didn't see a HT back behind my Jagdpanthers. Two turns before, they were there carrying an Airborne squad. But when I looked at your side (thanks for your PW btw), they were where my kubelwagon had spotted them, before you killed it
But all my TD's had pushed up into the "ambush" point, and the only unit you had to the East of them was a lone sniper, and he was actually not able to sight them because he was Northeast of them, and the ridge blocked them. I think you may have picked up that 12-man squad that shot up the MC squad two turns earlier. If you open up my turn, and look at the supression on my Jagdpanthers, you'll see they'd rallied pretty well. They had quite a disappointing OP-fire, deserved what they got I guess.
I won't buy many of them in the future, that's for sure.
Thanks for the lesson though. I had no idea so much could go wrong in one turn
If you'd like a rematch, I'm game. I might not be so easy next time
heheheheheee DWUK's M10's Magically appearing Airborne hmmmm where have i seen that before
"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which
