Return to the Valley of the Sun: Condor (USN) vs. Quark (IJN)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

ahem

Post by Attack Condor »

A few days missing from the AAR due inability to access the forum over the weekend. I have the CRs and intentions, - I'm trying to glean the high points from the days missing. Suffice to say, the 3rd division is extricated from the deathtrap at Cairns, and all troops are bound for TV. The Navy's carrier based aircraft are gone from Oz (with the exception of 2 SBDs getting repaired at Brissy), and the Marine F4F-4s and SBDs are in place, and scored against the AP fleet supplying at the port of Cairns. Level bombers actually closed Cairns, scoring 63 damage to the airbase on a night raid, but maintenance strikes keeping the base closed didn't fly for two straight nights, and - when I switched to daytime strikes - CT was closed due to weather.

I actually caught Kaga and Akagi in the same night with subs, but both were Tambor class IJN sympathizers. Pickerel attacked Kaga with stern tubes, so only 2 torpedoes were fired - both missing. Grenadier attacked Akagi - 'nuff said. 6 more torpedoes litter the bottom of the Coral Sea.

I used three S-boats to help evac Innisfail. I also used FT TFs made of Gridley and Mahan class destroyers. Elements of all three 3rd division Bdes are at TV. I really wanted to use the Tambors to move the troops, but they were interdicting the line between GG and Cairns, and the S-boats were in a feeding frenzy at Cairns. (I wonder if Quark would trade an I-boat straight up for a Tambor - I'd probably have to include a draft pick).

I moved the B-17s from CT to RH. Their normal range of 20 is exactly the distance from RH to Cairns. This leaves more space for the 2E bombers at CT, and will help keep morale up for the Fortress crews.

In Noumea, I sent the 7th Seabees north, with an eye to begin development of Wunpuko - only to have I-168 torpedo the AP 150 miles out of Noumea. I have re-routed the damaged ship to Efate, where the engineers can assist with fortifying the base there, while I decide whether or not to try moving north yet. I have the feeling the torpedo attack was a sign I began moving too early.

My first team ASW TF (5 Benson class destroyers) made their first sonar contact since being assigned as a team, and Mahan scored her first kill.

I'll review the events, and add anything relevant. More IJN ships sunk, will update that total shortly. No Allied ships sunk :D

More to come...
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Back with a vengenance

Post by Attack Condor »

Today’s action:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/20/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
DD Hatsushimo, Shell hits 29, and is sunk
DD Shirakumo, Shell hits 18, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 2
AP Hinko Maru
AP Kyosei Maru
AP Josho Maru
AP Kenryu Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
AP Kenyo Maru
AP Muko Maru
AP Taian Maru
AP Yamagiri Maru

Allied Ships
DD Mahan
DD Cummings
DD Drayton, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Case
DD Preston, Shell hits 1
DD Dunlap, Shell hits 1, on fire
DMS Southard

Jackpot number two. I was hoping Quark would think the DD TFs were merely picking up troops from Innisfail (which they did for two turns). Recon showed nothing larger than a destroyer at Cairns. With his CV TF gassing up at GG, I gave the order to hit at the transports with the Mahan and Gridley class destroyers. If nothing else, his ASW capabilities just shrunk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
DD Shirakumo, and is sunk
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
AP Hinko Maru
AP Kyosei Maru
AP Josho Maru
AP Kenryu Maru, Shell hits 13, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kenyo Maru
AP Muko Maru
AP Taian Maru
AP Yamagiri Maru, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Blue, Shell hits 1
DD Helm
DD Jarvis, Shell hits 1
PT 38

Even the decoy force gets hits. Shirakumo sunk from the damage she took in the first attack. Kenryu Maru reported sunk right after the engagement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 8,55

Japanese Ships
APD 39

Allied Ships
SS Pickerel

The APD actually fired two spreads on Pickerel and all were near misses. Amazing – I guess if a sub can’t hit anything, then nothing is allowed to hit it, either
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
AP Muko Maru

Allied Ships
SS S-37

Standard attack and miss – until S-37 realizes there aren’t any escorts afloat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 37

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 37
B-25D Mitchell x 26
B-26B Marauder x 29
A-20B Havoc x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 6 destroyed
B-25D Mitchell x 5 damaged
B-26B Marauder x 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder x 2 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 3 destroyed
A-20B Havoc x 1 damaged

PO2 B.Oda of AI-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 6

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 183
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 52

Attacking Level Bombers:
0 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
3 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
11 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
0 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
9 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
1 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
0 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
0 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
0 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
8 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
2 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
3 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
0 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
0 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
0 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
0 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
9 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet

Cairns should be well and properly closed now. Since I can’t get a night strike to fly, I’ll go in the daytime.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
AP Muko Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS S-37

This was a surface attack. Torpedo accuracy improved dramatically.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Irau

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Irau base !!!


Another piece of coral for the IJN collection
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

70 IJN vessels sunk now, compared to 68 Allied :) We're getting there.


Intentions follow…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

8/21/42

Thunderstorms today.

The weather is starting to work against me now that I have my assets in Oz in place. Also, the IJN seems to be leaving. The high number of transports which I assumed were bringing transports in may in fact be evacuating his troops. Recon now shows 2 ENG units and only 4 INF units. No AA units at all (none fired on my air raid yesterday).

I’m going to switch to port attacks, if this rain will ever let up.

Wasp and Lexington are 15 days from Noumea. I think I’ll wait for them to arrive before any thoughts of northward expansion become reality.

Destroyers are due in to PH, at which time, the North Carolina and Washington should form up and sail west as well.

(I’m still very confused about Cairns. Is he in fact pulling out? If so, a heck of a lot of ships and men lost for nothing. Or, perhaps a feint to draw forces from the other Oz bases to retake Cairns, while the IJN assualts TV, RH, or Birissy? I don't know what's going on, and I don't particularilly like not knowing)

More raids into Cairns planned, trying to add to his ship loss total, cause more damage at the base and see just what the heck is going on there.

Another B-17 squadron (the 72nd BS) is due into Noumea in 2 days. In a couple of weeks, two more B-17 squadrons are due into Brisbane. I think I’ll have enough planes in Oz then until I’m ready to re-take PM (If he leaves the Oz bases undefended, I still have the paras available at CT to quickly re-take them as well.

Time to re-supply Luganville (it’s below 100K). On this trip, I’m also sending three units. The 14th Seabees to assist with fortifications there, and to be ready to move to Wunpuko when the CV TF arrives; HQ III Amphib Corps, and the 2nd Marine Regiment (2nd Marine Division). I have most of the 1st Marine Division entirely in place (except for the paras) at Noumea, and I’m not inclined to move them anywhere for a while. Once I get ready for Guadacanal (and more ground troops arrive at Noumea), they’ll be #1 on the list to go.

More to come…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Revenge of the Quark

Post by Attack Condor »

<g>

Yesterday’s combat:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/21/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
PG Keijo Maru
PG Nikkai Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
PG Seikai Maru
PG Choko Maru #2, Shell hits 2, on fire
PC Toshi Maru #3, Shell hits 1
PC Ch 4
PC Ch 5
PC Ch 18, Shell hits 2
PC Ch 24
PC Ch 29

Allied Ships
DD Mahan
DD Cummings
DD Case
DD Preston, Shell hits 1
DMS Southard, Shell hits 1

So far, so good. But the ASW TF scatters and the destroyers walk right into a trap
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Kawakaze
DD Usugumo
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
DD Blue, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
DD Helm, Shell hits 25, and is sunk

Where in the heck did that cruiser come from???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Kawakaze
DD Usugumo
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
DD Gridley, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD Craven

The word to scatter gets garbled, lost in transmission, whatever. When it finally reaches these ships, it is too late
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Kawakaze
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 1
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
DD Mahan
DD Cummings
DD Case
DD Preston, Shell hits 1, on fire
DMS Southard, Shell hits 1, on fire

Fortunately, these destroyers were able to get out of the harbour relatively unscathed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
CA Maya, Shell hits 1
CL Kuma
DD Hayashio
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 2
DD Usugumo
DD Yukaze

Allied Ships
DD Gridley, Shell hits 15, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)
DD Craven, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Now I know why the last group of destroyers was able to escape. Maya was too busy peeling Gridley and Craven apart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In Noumea, the troop transport ship Westralia also sunk, while she was docked. I disbanded her in Noumea, but she was still unable to be saved.

Salute to Quark, who turned the tables on me in Cairns. Well done!

Now, back to plotting his destruction with appropriate maniacal cackling sound effects.

Intentions follow.
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

8/22/42

Yesterday proved another lesson about underestimating my opponent’s capabilities while overestimating my own. I’ve taped a sticky note to my monitor: “After a surprise that works, don’t stick around patting yourself on the back.” After all, the methodology of a hit and run campaign is to occasionally “run” once in a while.

CT did not launch aircraft yesterday (due to the weather, I imagine – fatigue and morale well within limits), so they are still ready to hit Cairns as soon as they can. I’ve added 1 B-26 to attack the airfield, and a B-25 to strike the ports. Both additions are night raids. I have both night and day raids planned for today.

Ground (assault) strength in Oz as follows:

TV = 432
RH = 542
Brisbane = 244

Brisabane is a little weak, but in 9 days, the 16th and 17th Bdes of the 6th Aus Inf Division arrive, inflating the assault strength at Brisbane to a respectable 478. Once these infantry units get in place at Brisbane, that’s it for a while. I’ll sit tight in Oz and begin to concentrate in the SOPAC area.

Fifteen days till the two additional carriers arrive. 3 destroyers are in PH, with another 5 due within a week. The CL Helena and the CA San Francisco are also due to PH within 9 days. The battleships should sail west by then.

Meanwhile, we wait. The 3rd Division infantry units are south of Innisfail, (30 miles short of pavement) and on their way to TV. The 3rd Div HQ and BF are 90 miles NW of TV, on the pavement.

My only two DMs in theater have repaired to acceptable SYS damage levels (5 and 7) and are assigned to mine TV. Retirement is set to off for now – once I’m close enough to TV, I’ll set it back to on and allow the DMs to lay the mines at night and slip out by morning.

With OZ secured from all but a massive IJN invasion – even bigger than the one at Cairns, I’ll begin my expansion in SOPAC to the north. With the troubles Quark had massing the shipping necessary and coordinating their orders, and the cost to him in men, materials, planes, and ships; I’m not sure he has the desire to mount another large scale invasion into Oz.

The offensive strategy:

When forces are available and in place, expand north building fighter CAP bases on Wunpuko and Gavigamana in preparation for an invasion of Irau. I’m tempted to overbuild Wunpuko and set a few squadrons of B-17s there to bomb Irau, but supplying a level 0 port isn’t something I envisage, even if I overbuild if to a level 3. we’ll see how that goes.

After Irau, then Lunga, the Shortlands, and then Rabaul, encircling NZ and finally cutting it off.

All of this is predicated on the fact that Quark will try to maintain Nz. I’ll sub-recon places like Lea-Lea, etc. and sniff around. If he’s weak or seems to be abandoning the bases, I’ll re-evaluate.

Earlier, I said “To hell with his carriers”. That was when I was on the defensive. Now that I’m planning for offensive moves (probably mid-Sept is when moves would commence), I can’t afford that luxury.

I keep thinking back to the opportunity lost when I shot at and missed two first-line carriers with my subs. That would have made the job so much easier.

I can’t worry about that. I have to concentrate on the future…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Mike_B20
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Mike_B20 »

Hi Attack Condor, great AAR.
I noticed in your report of 8/12/42 that you had Wirraways on naval attack at 17000 feet.
Have you tried using your Wirraways and Aircobras in the naval attack role at 100 feet?

I've found them extremely effective at that altitude in that role, almost as effective as Dauntlesses.
I have never been impressed by their results as fighter escorts.
Never give up, never surrender
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

MikeB20, thanks for the post. Nice to know who's getting a belly-laugh over my antics :)

On the twelfth, I was under a delusionary belief that Wirraways were dive bombers :rolleyes:

I do use the FBs at 100 ft for both CAS and Naval Attack (see the CR for the day before - the 11th). The Hispano and 37mm cannons slice through destroyer's armor quite nicely, aerating the cramped quarters. And having the occasional 500 lb bomb drop isn't a bad extra ;)

I've begun to adopt the FBs in what I believe are their best roles (stated above). I'm sure they can CAP very nicely against unescorted Bettys, but that's probably about it.

When I start the offensive in SOPAC, I'm thinking of replacing the VMF squadrons in Oz with the Kittyhawks as they become available, sending the VMFs to CAP bases as they island-hop northward. I think a "2 Kittyhawk to 1 Wildcat" replacement plan would be optimal, but I'll see if I have that luxury.

As always, thanks for the input! Glad you're enjoying the read :)

More to come (assuming the visiting in-laws don't get in the way ;) )
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
wobbly
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:27 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by wobbly »

I understand "visiting in-laws" enjoy "visiting" local landmarks and such. As a local to the city of your home you are not required to visit said "local landmarks", especially when you have UV homework to complete :o
[center]
Image
[/center]
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Back on track

Post by Attack Condor »

(thanks Wobbly, I may try to use that one)

Yesterday’s report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/22/42

Weather: Rain

Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 57

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 28
A-20B Havoc x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-26B Marauder x 5 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 2 destroyed
A-20B Havoc x 3 damaged

LTJG F.Morita of AII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 4

Japanese Ships
DD Yugumo, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 59
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 15
Port hits 3
Port supply hits 2

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
9 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
5 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
4 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
6 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet

Against 57 Zeroes, the results here are surprisingly good. 7 bombers lost, and for that cost they extract 2 Zeroes, airbase and port damage, and a hit on a docked destroyer, all in broad daylight. I’ll take it. How fatigued are the Zeroes??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese Ships
PG Keijo Maru
PC Ch 4

Allied Ships
SS S-37

This is almost as bad as attacking a barge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Bia

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 26 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Bia base !!!


Why not?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Very satisfied with the results of the strike. Only 2 aircraft left at Cairns, time to work over the ports some more. With good weather projected, time for the B-17s at RH to get some work in at Cairns.

More to come…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

The cost of doing buisness

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s action:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/23/42

Weather: Clear

Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56


Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 3
B-26B Marauder x 6
A-20B Havoc x 4


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 4

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-25D Mitchell at 7000 feet
6 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
4 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet

The night raid out of CT keeps Cairns closed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6


no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 5

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 11000 feet

Practice begins for the B-17 pilots out of RH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
A6M3 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 22
A-20B Havoc x 12

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-26B Marauder x 2 destroyed
B-26B Marauder x 2 damaged
A-20B Havoc x 2 destroyed
A-20B Havoc x 1 damaged

PO2 J.Fujiwara of BII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 3

Japanese Ships
DD Yugumo, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 87

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 6
Port hits 5
Port supply hits 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
6 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
7 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
2 x A-20B Havoc at 7000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet
4 x B-26B Marauder at 7000 feet

The daytime CT raid, going after both port and airbase facilities
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
A6M3 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 41
SBD Dauntless x 14
Wirraway x 21
P-39D Airacobra x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 6 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 2 damaged
Wirraway x 14 destroyed
Wirraway x 2 damaged
P-39D Airacobra x 7 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra x 2 damaged

PO2 H.Ikeda of BII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 9

Japanese Ships
PG Seikai Maru
PC Ch 5, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

30 aircraft lost, for an attack on some overblown yachts. What a waste
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Cairns at 7,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 21
A6M3 Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 29
SBD Dauntless x 10
Wirraway x 11
P-39D Airacobra x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged
Wirraway x 2 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra x 6 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra x 1 damaged

PO2 H.Ikeda of BII-1 Daitai is credited with kill number 10

PO1 D.Nagaishi of BII-1 Daitai is KILLED

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 4, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)
PC Ch 5, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)

More waste
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


With the success of the 2E bombers against the LRCAP at Cairns, I’m going to take the FBs and DBs out of the attack rotation. The LRCAP against them is simply way too much for such little return.

Thunderstorms tomorrow. I actually welcome them this time :(
More to come…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/24/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Sub attack at 51,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-166

Allied Ships
SC 646

Less torpedoes the sub has to use against more valuable ships – a victory for me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Another IJN AP reported sunk - the Cuba Maru sunk due to damage in Cooktown harbor.

Intentions for 8/25/42

The Marine pilots were hit, and hit hard by the IJN LRCAP at Cairns. They weren’t prepared for that. They have a long memory, however, and they will have their day.

I am going to make a small, but fundamental change to my LBA strategy in Oz. I’m going to use TV and CT as my level bomber bases. The FBs will retire to Brisbane, and the SBDs will operate out of CT, ready to assist in repelling an invasion fleet. I’m not sure how long I’ll even keep the Marine bombers there. We’ll see.

Lexington and Wasp are 8 days out of Noumea. 5 DDs are in PH. The San Francisco will join the assembling TF in 3 days. I expect the battleships Washington and North Carolina to sail within the week.

The first inklings of a strike to throw the IJN off balance is beginning to form in the vacuum of my mind…

Time to get a pencil and pad of paper out and sketch out requirements…….

More to come.
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday's combat report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/26/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 24,76

Japanese Ships
SS I-169

Allied Ships
DM Montgomery


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56


Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 11


no losses

Port hits 3
Port supply hits 2

Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x B-25D Mitchell at 20000 feet
6 x B-25D Mitchell at 20000 feet

No opposition....... something seems wrong...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Russell Islands

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 19 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Russell Islands base !!!


Another base for the IJN's conquest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Intentions follow........
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

8-27-42

The IJN CV TF has moved away from Cairns, heading NE towards GG. I had three subs (S-boats this time) surrounding the carriers - none were able to close for an attack.

A lack of activity at Cairns is puzzling. Two IJN vessels are reported in port. No IJN troops appear to be at the base. I was very tempted to FT about 400 troops from Townsville to Cairns in an attempt to capture the base and claim the vessels, but I will send level bombers to recon both Cairns and Cooktown.

I need answers. Has the IJN abandoned Cairns?

Further moves within my level bomber re-alignment. Since there appear to be no worthwhile targets at Cairns, I have brought 34 B-17 Fortress forward to TV.

The distance from TV to GG is 20 hexes. Time to look north for my targets.

If the IJN has indeed abandoned Oz, then I have a lot of 2E bombers with nothing better to do than search and perform ASW duties. I wouldn't expect much from them, but at least they'll have a chance at increasing experience.

IJN recon aircraft flew over TV, RH, and Luganville today. No doubt, trying to see which of the three would be the easiest to target for an Auto Victory.

The 2nd Marine Infantry Regiment has unloaded at Luganville, along with the 14th Seabees and HQ III Amphibious Corps.

3 APDs are en route to Luganville. They will ferry the Seabees' men and equipment to Wunpuko.

I wanted to send my #1 ASW DD TF to Luganville, but Efate is probably a better option for them. Luganville is within the protection sphere of the Benson class sub hunters, and still further away from IJN LBA that must surely be stationed at Lunga.

6 days until the arrival of my two additional carriers. Saratoga can certainly use the help. 18 days until the arrival of my BB TF.

No serious invasion can be contemplated until the battleships appear, as my cruiser force is as thin as wet tissue paper, and destroyer "bombardments" are irritating, at best, to a dug in enemy.

The 6th Australian Infantry Division arrives in Brissy in 5 days (2 INF BDEs and 1 HQ). They were scheduled to defend Brisbane, and that's what they will do.

I smell a trap in SWPAC. Opening the door in Oz may be an attempt to have me dilute my defenders by moving them from the Auto Victory bases. PM seems undefended, with an AA unit apparently the only ground force there.

Patience is the order of the day. Superiority will be mine soon. Quark cannot win a protracted engagement. Expansion will be done incrementally.

If the IJN wants to win, he will have to come to me.

Patience.....

More to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s combat report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/27/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on Cairns , at 7,56


Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 24
SBD Dauntless x 14
P-39D Airacobra x 9
A-20B Havoc x 28


no losses

Japanese Ships
DD Yugumo, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
12 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
2 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
6 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet
3 x A-20B Havoc at 6000 feet

Apparently, the destroyer has been abandoned. Recon flights confirm Cairns is deserted. Bombing operations have been suspended.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Intentions follow.
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

8-28-42

The first B-17 raid on the ports at GG is planned for today (altitude will be 15,000 feet). I have also sent the Hudsons to TV and plan to use them at the limit of their range for nighttime harassment raids from 20,000 feet.

Recon shows both captured Oz bases have been abandoned. E-mail intercepts confirm this, with claims the IJN was ready to commit an assault force of 1200+ against one of the remaining Oz bases, but a lack of transports to supply the bases forced the withdraw.

My subs have been re-deployed to interdict GG. For the past two turns, PBYs have been ferrying supplies to Misima, which will be used as a sub re-supply point.

The first of the two 6th Australian infantry BDEs is in PM. The second is due tomorrow, with the HQ due in two days after that.

With the IJN withdrawing, the next question is what will he do with his large force? Will he strike at Luganville, or will he deploy the units to form some kind of defensive line, hoping to win on points? (The Intentions department leans towards the latter option, with reference to a “reaction force” alluded to in intercepted e-mail transmissions)

With Cairns and Cooktown open, I have dispatched two DDs to carry about 400 troops to re-claim Cairns, and then Cooktown. I will dispatch a single engineer unit and a single BF unit to repair the damage to the base. I will not commit a large force to hold the bases, but I will take back the 1405 points in the balance (IJN losing 1550 points, and the Allies gaining 155).

Wunpuko has had one load of supplies dropped there via PBY, and the three APDs have unloaded their AA unit they brought to Luganville, and will load the Seabees – transporting them to Wunpuko to begin its construction. An additional Marine F4F-4 unit has been transferred to Luganville to provide CAP for the transports while they are exposed on the north side of the island. Once Wunpuko has an airfield, C47 supply runs can be made until port facilities are created, facilitating the unloading of transports.

More to come…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s combat report:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/29/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Sub attack at 50,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-166

Allied Ships
DD Jarvis, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Jarvis was one of the wounded destroyers in the 2nd raid on Cairns (where the IJN cruiser Maya was lying in wait for them) headed back to Noumea. All 4 ships in “TF Cripple” had SYS damage of 40+. Jarvis now has SYS damage of 62, FLT damage of 20+, and 12 Fire damage. She’s 120 miles WSW of Noumea, and definitely out of the war for a few months.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Cairns

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 466 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Cairns base !!!

At least I got some of my points back. Now the question is how seriously do I want to keep it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

August 30, 1942

With Cairns back in the Allies’ control, clean-up of the base will begin as soon as engineers arrive. I’ll limit the ground force presence to one BF unit each at Cairns and Cooktown. This way I can keep the advantages of the airfields for harassment of the IJN in NG, while maintaining my defensive values at TV, RH, and Brisbane.

Two IJN ships were spotted leaving Cooktown. They were reported as a cruiser and a transport, but the “cruiser” is more likely a destroyer. Whatever they are, with no CAP for them, I have set all CT aircraft to Naval Attack. It’s a hodge-podge of aircraft including level bombers, FBs and DBs; but I want those two ships. And if it is the Maya trying to slip away, so much the better.

3 PT boats are also headed back to Cairns for a bit of fuel. Some should be delivered by tomorrow.

One B-17 squadron and two Hudson squadrons are set for a night raid on the airfields at GG. GG looks like the base where Quark relayed his invasion force to.

My subs are moving north to interdict shipping in the Solomon Sea. One sub will keep an eye on PM.

I am re-forming Saratoga’s air wing. I was trying to keep continuity of squadrons, but while the F4F-4s get refitted and the TBDs await upgrade to TBFs, I’ll use the best planes/pilots for the carrier and leave the others on the beach.

More to come…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s action:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/30/42

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42

Japanese aircraft

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 6
B-17E Fortress x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell x 1 destroyed


Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
6 x Hudson at 6000 feet

Very satisfactory, indeed. A level bomber destroyed on the ground, and airbase damage to boot. All from a 9 aircraft raid. I think I like this night bombing concept
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I'm sure Quark has posted how his HQ unit mysteriously found itself shanghaied by my press gang and is swabbing the decks of my APD Little. He has agreed to the ransom, and the hostages...um..."guests" will be delivered, unharmed to Basilaki.

Intentions follow...
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Intentions.....

Post by Attack Condor »

August 31, 1942

Cairns is getting cleaned up. I've sent the FBs at CT back to RH and Brissy. I'm reducing the need for AS at CT, enabling me to use the 2 RAAF Dakota transport squadrons to airlift the 102nd BF to Cairns. The 117th BF will remain at CT for now. I debated sending the 117th to Cairns, and have its radar meet it there (being shipped from RH), but if I need to evacuate, I don't want to waste time loading radar onto a transport.

I'll poke my head out at Cairns, and use the 2E bombers to search closer to PM, and - if in range, start bombing there as well. Should Quark decide he's had enough of that and head back south, I can leave quickly.

On the other hand, Quark's transports did take an old fashioned "behind the woodshed" whipping on his last venture to Oz, he may have had his fill of that.

I can't (and won't) discount the possibility, however.

The IJN DD Yugumo has been spotted trying to escape back to GG from Cooktown. It moved out of port, only to move back again this turn. I'm sure it's crippled, and I'll be suprised if Quark doesn't scuttle it rather than letting my Marine SBDs have a shot at it.

The night raids of GG continue. I have 3 squadrons of B-17s at TV, but only one is flying north, the others have morale values in the high 50's and low 60's. If all continues to go well, once they get to mid 60's for morale, I'll let them fly the night missions as well.

The 14th Seabees will be totally in place on Wunpuko by tomorrow. I anticipate a level 1 airstrip there ee days, at the latest. The 7th Seabees is also landing there via transport ship - slow as molasses at a level 0 port. 2 F4F-4 squadrons from Luganville flying LRCAP over the transport while it's a** is hanging out off-loading at Wunpuko.

Mre to come....
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Attack Condor
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:33 am
Location: Chicago

Post by Attack Condor »

Yesterday’s combat results:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/31/42

Weather: Clear

Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42

Japanese aircraft

Allied aircraft
Hudson x 10
B-17E Fortress x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 2 damaged
H6K Mavis x 1 destroyed


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 11

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 5

Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x Hudson at 6000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
4 x Hudson at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet

E-mail intercepts have the IJN staff complaining loudly about the night raids and the damage they have wrought already. Two more vaunted Zeroes destroyed on the ground, as well as one of those troublesome recon planes. (The squadron @ 20,000 ft. went along in an effort to improve its morale). More airbase damage. If this keeps up, I’ll push his long-ranging aircraft into even longer range missions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 22

no losses

Allied Ships
AP Harris, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

Ever get the feeling you’re on a busy streetcorner, you’re pants are down around your ankles, and the concept of undergarments isn’t something you’ve bought into? Chalk another passenger up for the stupid express, although I didn’t think he could (or would want to) get that far south. The next air raid, however, is a bit more satisfying for me
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 3 damaged

Allied Ships
SC 648
SC 644

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
2 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

3 of his long range bombers damaged in an attack where the pilots can easily confuse the ships for the whitecaps on the ocean. I hope all of the damaged birds flew into the sea!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Wunpuko at 51,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 42
G4M1 Betty x 14

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty x 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AP La Salle, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)
AP William P. Biddle

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

At least the fighters got one bomber before being chased off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 6 damaged

Allied Ships
SC 648
SC 645, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage (sunk)
SC 641

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
3 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

6 more Bettys damaged while they score a kill on a ship worth the same VP amount as a Betty. I’ll live with that trade.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thunderstorms tomorrow :(

Intentions follow…
"Shouldn't we be leading the shark into shore...instead him leading us out to sea?"
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”