Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

27 Apr 42

38 Zeros sweep a hex near Kweilin. A hex that was bombed without escorts yesterday and without sweeps. I put some I-16s on LRCAP there, and they didn't have a chance. 4 are lost. Sometimes Aurorus gets me, sometimes not. Today he did.

But near Hengyang, I moved some Hurri IIs to the area and did a 3 range LRCAP of Chinese troops running for the hills. 21 Lilys showed up, with no escort, and no sweeps. 16 Hurris intercepted...and then the raid was overhead, with no engagement. Got there too late I guess. The raid was spotted 34 miles out, and but was only at 2,000 feet. Unfortunately, the Hurris were at 20k. That probably didn't help.

In Burma, 16 B-17s from Calcutta hit Lashio's airfield. I have had regular recon of Lashio from a nearby Chinese base, from when I was watching where the troops would go. Just 3 enemy units remain, and they look small, so the division is gone. I did notice no fighters and no bombers but a bunch of other planes, so I hit the airfield. Moderate airbase damage, and 5 Thalias and 1 MC-Sallys destroyed on the ground. Planes were here either to supply advancing troops in the jungle, moving toward India, or to prepare to drop some paras. Akyab is minimally defended, but Cox Bazar is empty, and Aurorus knows it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop there. I think I have everything covered in India near the Indian border though.

Christmas Island IO (near Java) is invaded. I have no defenders.

The daily artillery attack at Noumea. No change in order of battle.

The surprise of the day was at Bandoeng, Java. The enemy attacks.

Ground combat at Bandoeng (50,100)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 26425 troops, 236 guns, 278 vehicles, Assault Value = 917

Defending force 17173 troops, 174 guns, 37 vehicles, Assault Value = 165

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 1417

Allied adjusted defense: 397

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Bandoeng !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
746 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 86 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
17777 casualties reported
Squads: 208 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 720 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 236 (236 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 52 (52 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 19

Assaulting units:
33rd Division
2nd Tank Regiment
38th Division
4th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
Mobiele Battalion
I Landstorm Cdo
2nd KNIL Regiment
I Marechausse Cdo
1st KNIL Regiment
Roodenburg Cdo
A-III-Ld AA Battalion
KNI Zeemacht
KNI Leger
ML-KNIL
VLG-III Sup Groep
VLG-V Sup Groep
VkA-3 Sup Afd
ABDA
Andir ML Base Force
HQ I KNIL Division
VkA-1 Sup Afd
A-I-Ld AA Battalion
VkA-4 Sup Afd


I was surprised to see it fall with just one attack. The massive artillery bombardments steadily wore down the defense, and that made the difference. I still have over 20k supply here. Time to wonder where these divisions will go.

Today I moved 3 fighter squadrons to Noumea. All of them will sweep Koumac. I want to wear down the enemy and encourage an enemy strike on Noumea tomorrow. That will of course be escorted by Zeros, Zeros that aren't on CAP at Koumac. Many bombers will hit Koumac from Australia. Maybe wishful thinking, but that's the plan.

In Australia, I noted that Cloncurry got enemy recon today for the first time. There have been a bunch of indications that there could be an expanded enemy operation in NE Australia. SigInt has shown multiple units prepping for NE Australian bases, although none prepping were bigger than a regiment. A sizable unit is at Katherine, with an armor unit there, and another at Daly Waters. There's Bettys and Oscars in the Darwin area too. Could be a ruse, but maybe not.

Cloncurry and Normanton have some defense. It is weak, but more than what starts there, which I believe is nothing.

2 turns today! Very unusual but greatly appreciated. Aurorus' other game may have slowed down.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

28 Apr 42

In a nuisance diversionary move, DD Le Triomphant runs into Woodlark Island and bombards the base.

Night Naval bombardment of Woodlark Island at 104,133

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Le Triomphant

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 8
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1


Nothing significant but some Zeros were damaged. Sometimes a small attack highlights some vulnerabilities and causes some added defenses when none are really needed. Defenses that could be used elsewhere. Now that I've justified the move, it was just a fun little raid. I really like DD Le Triomphant. It's a nice destroyer with a great crew.

West of Vava'u, CL St. Louis and DD escorts run over I-17, and get a couple of good depth charge hits on the sub. The US ships are catching up to the armada to the west.

The enemy continues to unload at Broome. Port Hedland is invaded.

My heavy fighter sweep of Koumac was bloody, but it did down some enemy planes. That could be important in the next few days. 2 P-400 and a P-40E squadron fly sweeps. Total losses are 17 Zeros, 17 P-400s, and 13 P-40Es. Bloody, but it's obvious that those Zeros pilots are experts. They must be destroyed and that will take some losses to do so.

Near Norfolk Island, an Allied cargo TF is spotted and attacked. Some P-39s fly limited LRCAP from Norfolk at range 4.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Norfolk Island at 115,167

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
G4M1 Betty x 22

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
AM Echuca, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL White Wing
xAKL William McArthur, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Fiona, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Carlisle, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Island Mail, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp


The cargo ships are carrying supply for Noumea. Hate to lose any ships, but with a major operation going on, some xAKLs are the least important ships to lose.

More enemy bombing in China. It's becoming obvious that the Chinese corps in the "pocket", shown on a recent map, are not going to escape. They'll continue to try, but when they are trapped, they'll hold out in the woods and make the enemy come to them, to at least buy some time. China is looking uglier by the day. I feel like I'm botching the defense in the south. This is my first Allied AE game where the opponent is aggressive in China. I'm learning, but at a cost.

Time to spill the beans on what I've really been up to. If you remember, I had a big operation to invade the Northern Marshalls. That operation was cancelled (really postponed) when KB came running from the Koumac area. The fleet went to Pearl Harbor and everything upgraded that could upgrade. Carriers, cruisers, and destroyers upgraded. When most of the fleet was upgraded and repaired, it set sail to the South Pacific, along with all of the nice AP transports.

I had decided to reinforce Noumea after all. With the heavy enemy concentration at Noumea, my plan became to bring in the rest of the 2nd Marine Division, and the Americal Division, along with some artillery and the 1st US Naval Construction Battalion. And importantly, I am trying to land a bunch of supply.

All of the US carriers and 2 British carriers are involved. 3 slow battleships are participating, and just about all of the US cruisers and destroyers. There has been no sign of enemy ships for quite awhile. I'm hoping to get in, unload in a couple of days, and get out. Supply ships may remain, but with fighters now based at Noumea and with the airbase fully repaired, they may be protected.

It's important to not lose carriers or the nice APs. But they are in harm's way, with lots of Zeros and Bettys expected.

And note that I don't expect to be able to kick the enemy out of Noumea. The Japanese have 2 infantry divisions, some artillery, and some armor. I will have much the same. I want a stalemate. I want the enemy to decide between bringing the fleet back and try to defeat even more US troops, or withdraw.

It would have been nice to invade La Foa or Koumac behind the lines, but the units weren't prepped for that. That may happen down the road. I want Noumea to become our Guadalcanal, but one on steroids. Lots more troops. This would be a nice place to hold the enemy's attention and stall for more time. With each week, more troops are arriving. If the enemy is still here, it isn't somewhere else, like New Zealand or Australia or India.

That's the plan. Things are been fairly quiet, other than the China collapse, for quite awhile. Now it's time for a few tense turns.


Image
Attachments
28Apr42..CROPPED.gif
28Apr42..CROPPED.gif (249.56 KiB) Viewed 493 times
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20769
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by BBfanboy »

Good luck with your new "Guadalcanal"! You are earlier than historic to slug it out with the Japanese, but he is further away from home than the real Guadalcanal battle, and you are closer to your LOC.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

29 Apr 42

Sub Saury fires 4 torpedoes at DD Kasumi but misses. Then Saury reattacks and fires 4 torpedoes at huge xAP Husimi Maru, and gets a hit, but it is a dud. Saury gets hit with a depth charge in the shallow water and will retire to Perth. Another US sub is in the area and is vectored in to go after that big transport.

Cocos Islands is also invaded and lost. Port Hedland is lost also.

Most of the Allied TFs near Noumea are spotted, and the enemy attacks from Koumac.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Isle of Pines at 116,161

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 35
G4M1 Betty x 30

Allied aircraft
Fulmar II x 9
Martlet II x 19
F4F-3A Wildcat x 45
F4F-3 Wildcat x 27
F4F-4 Wildcat x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 16 destroyed


No Allied losses

B-17s and LB-30s bomb Koumac's airfield and port. CAP is heavy and so is the flak.

Morning Air attack on Koumac , at 113,156

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 16
LB-30 Liberator x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 12 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
SS RO-67, Bomb hits 1


8 B-17s bomb Luganville's airfield. There is no CAP. Minimal airbase damage.

In the afternoon, another enemy strike from Koumac, with fewer planes.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Isle of Pines at 116,161

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
G4M1 Betty x 6

Allied aircraft
Fulmar II x 9
Martlet II x 10
F4F-3A Wildcat x 29
F4F-3 Wildcat x 14
F4F-4 Wildcat x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Martlet II: 1 destroyed


Allied carrier aircraft did well and was sufficient for what they had to handle. It helped that the carriers were not spotted until today, and Koumac wasn't as loaded up as it could have been. And still may be.

Total air losses are 41 Bettys, 16 Zeros, and 3 Jakes, for the cost of 4 F4F-3As, 2 Martlet IIs, and 1 Fulmar. A good day in the air for the good guys.

Today reinforcements will arrive at Noumea, and a garrison for Isle of Pines will be unloaded. Noumea's defense will go right to the 35,000 men limit. Lots of supply will be unloaded.

My concern is that Aurorus will move the spotted small TF into Koumac to draw a naval strike into a large CAP. I could range limit my carrier aircraft to 4 to avoid that, but that could also prevent a strike on enemy carriers if they show up. I decide to sweep Koumac with a squadron from Noumea and a carrier squadron, to hopefully do their work before any naval strike might occur. Noumea CAP will help cover the leading BBs, the CVs, and the ships at Isle of Pines, as well as Noumea. Carrier CAP will do the same.

Image
Attachments
29Apr42..CROPPED.gif
29Apr42..CROPPED.gif (217.22 KiB) Viewed 493 times
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

30 Apr 42

I had to laugh when I saw the first attack in the replay today. I-23 surfaces at Noumea to shell and torpedo xAKL White Wing. White Wing was the sole survivor of the xAKL TF hit by Bettys, sinking 5 xAKLs and the small escort. White Wing tried to make it to Noumea, forcibly unescorted. With all of the ships at Noumea, all more important than an xAKL, I-23 found the one unescorted ship.

As I said yesterday, I expected a heavy CAP at Noumea with enemy ships brought in, possibly drawing a naval strike into the heavy CAP. That's exactly what happened. I expected a heavy CAP, but not 109 Zeros. First, carrier F4F-3 swept, then P-39s from Noumea. Then a naval strike from my carriers went after a cruiser group at Koumac:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Koumac at 113,156

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 89

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 45
SBD-3 Dauntless x 54

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 destroyed, 8 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Nowaki
CA Kinugasa, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
CA Kako, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
DD Urakaze
CL Jintsu, Bomb hits 2, on fire


B-26s from Norfolk Island bombed enemy troops at La Foa, doing very little damage. It found the 16th Army HQ, the 146th Infantry Regiment, and the 148th Infantry Regiment. There's more units there too.

B-26s in China bomb the 3rd Division near Hengyang in clear terrain, causing almost 200 casualties. Aurorus will have to start some CAP instead of always using sweeps to find my CAP.

Liuchow is lost in China. It was mostly evacuated.

Total air losses are 19 F4F-3s, 9 P-39s, and 7 SBD-3. No enemy losses. At least I hit some ships.

There is little doubt that KB is on the way from the Tulagi area. I believe that the ships at Koumac were rushed there to do 2 things: be there, in case I was invading there today, which was possible from where my ships were, and to draw a naval strike into the massive CAP. Expecting KB, judging from the D/L to my subs, I have to leave Noumea. All APs will leave. 95% of the troops have unloaded. Very little supply has unloaded, and it is vital that I get more supply into Noumea. The cargo ships will risk staying another day. CAP at Noumea will be only from Noumea. A small cruiser force and a DD force will stay at Noumea. See the map for details.

Let's hope that my subs can find a carrier, and the KB doesn't make it into range of Noumea for another day. I need that supply.

It is interesting to note that there is movement from La Foa to the north. The graphics are unclear at Noumea. There could be movement there to the north, I'm not sure. Maybe Aurorus thought I was coming to land at Koumac. There's enough US troops at Noumea now that it will not fall. Not unless it I run out of supply, and the enemy can bring many naval bombardments. I will do what I can to defend Noumea, but I will not risk my carriers unless the conditions are absolutely right.

Koumac has 18 units, with 20860 men, 153 guns, and 24 vehicles. Probably a division there.

Image
Attachments
30Apr42..CROPPED.gif
30Apr42..CROPPED.gif (236.72 KiB) Viewed 493 times
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

1 May 42 - Part One

The fast Dutch minelaying ship that I keep speaking highly of is actually a British ship, Abdiel. I like it a lot. It is very fast. I've been using it on high speed runs to drop mines in very dangerous positions, and run back out to a safe range by daylight. A few days ago it dropped mines at Balep Island, next to Koumac. Today, finally, success:

TF 76 encounters mine field at Belep Islands (112,155)

Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu, Mine hits 1, heavy damage

Image
Attachments
minelayer.gif
minelayer.gif (90.73 KiB) Viewed 493 times
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

1 May 42 - Part Two

Near Norfolk Island, I-26 spots 4 APDs headed south, and torpedoes APD Humphreys, sinking her. Near Isle of Pines, I-8 fires 2 torpedoes at DD Aylwin but misses.

Battleships West Virginia and Maryland, with CL Adelaide and DDs bombard enemy troops at Noumea, causing 58 casualties. Battleship Revenge then did the same, causing 37 casualties. Nothing significant, but it's time to leave, so they might as well contribute. Then I-22 spots Revenge and escorts, and fires 8(!) torpedoes at Revenge, getting one hit. I guess that I'm lucky that only one hit. I've said it before, but those old slow battleships are just torpedo magnets. Revenge is SYS 17/FLOT 10-3/ENG 31-3/FIRE 0, so it will be ok, barring any more unfortunate encounters. Another big ship with a long trip to the shipyards.

Near Efate, sub S-44 is spotted by a TF with BB Kirishima, CA Chikuma, CS Nisshin, and DDs. No hits on the sub. Then S-44 is spotted by another big TF, with BBs Hiei, Haruna, and Kongo, CA Maya, CL Oi, and 9 DDs. Again no hits on the sub, but no torpedoes fired either.

RO-62 torpedoed the one cargo ship at Isle of Pines, xAK Don Isidro. The ship is badly damaged and a bit on fire. It will try to make it to Noumea, where it will certainly meet its final doom shortly.

With daybreak, 34 Oscars sweep Noumea from Luganville. P-39s and P-40Es are on CAP, and more enemy are downed than friendly lost. Then 13 Nells arrive, with 68 Zeros either escorting or on LRCAP. The Zeros do well, but the Nells miss with all torpedoes.

Then the fireworks really get started. As feared, KB has gotten within range of Noumea, setting up at Aurorus' favorite range of 7.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 115,160

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 119 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 44 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 54
B5N1 Kate x 18
B5N2 Kate x 51
D3A1 Val x 35

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
PC Pulaski, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAKL Sinabang, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Witte de With
AM Kalgoorlie, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Durban, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
xAK Era, Bomb hits 1
xAKL Sipirok
xAKL Luzon, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Dunlap
CL Dragon
xAKL Meroendoeng, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Van Ghent
xAK Diamond head, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Cardross, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Mulubinda, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Tuscaloosa City, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Preston


Then another morning raid:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 115,160

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 105 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
B5N1 Kate x 6
B5N2 Kate x 26
D3A1 Val x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Mormacrey, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Durban, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
KV Dundas, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL St. Louis
CL Dragon


And another big raid in the afternoon:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 115,160

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 115 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 49 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 81
B5N1 Kate x 33
B5N2 Kate x 89

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
xAK Goulburn, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Boelongan, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CL Dragon, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Witte de With
CL St. Louis, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
xAK Tuscaloosa City, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Ulooloo, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Elisavet, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAKL Corrimal
xAKL Silindoeng, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Evertsen
DD Van Ghent
DD Drayton
xAKL Escalante, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Preston
xAK Aroona, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Siberoet
xAKL Lepus, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Crown City
DMS Chandler, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAKL James Cook
DD Cummings
xAKL Soerabaja, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Fanning


A lot of ugliness here. Sunk ships include a light cruiser, an APD, a PC, an AM, 8 xAKLs and 8 xAKs. 2 badly damaged light cruisers (one US) disbanded at Noumea and will presumably be lost. Same for another xAKL and an xAK. I had decided to take the risk in order to get supply into Noumea, which was down to 4,000. It is now at 11,000. That is not great, but better than before. I won't say that the tradeoff was worth it, but it was necessary, in my opinion. A well defended Noumea isn't well defended with no supply.

I do see enemy troop movement out of Noumea.

Here's some damaged ship conditions. Revenge already mentioned.
CL Durban SYS 17/FLOT 98-60/ENG 17-14/FIRE 0 Disbanded Noumea
CL St. Louis SYS 7/FLOT 78-51/ENG 17-16/FIRE 0 Disbanded Noumea
DMS Chandler SYS 22/FLOT 77-45/ENG 2-1/FIRE 0 Disbanded Noumea
KV Dundas SYS 18/FLOT 20-11/ENG 2-0/0 Escorting cargo ships



Now the dilemma.

My first decision was whether or not to try to defend all the cargo ships still at Noumea, almost 30 of them. They are currently 7 hexes from KB, and the fastest can only move 6 hexes per day. KB will move 8 hexes at normal speed. This means if KB moves directly towards Noumea, these cargo ships cannot get out of KB's range no matter which direction they go.

I could decide to let the cargo ships go on their own and hope for the best. I had said that I cannot lose my carriers. KB is danger close, but my carriers are far enough away that they can run to safety. My worry is that KB just came from Tulagi, and is undoubtedly nearly full of fuel. If I were the Japanese, I'd jump at the chance to chase down the Allied carriers. I'd run them full speed south and maybe catch the carriers, and certainly catch everything else seemingly running south.

So I'm doing the unexpected. My cargo ships at Noumea will flee due west. Some will move 4 hexes, some 5. Allied carriers will boldly (or stupidly) move NW to cover these ships. They will be 5 hexes west of Noumea. If KB moves next to Noumea, we're going to have a carrier battle. If KB moves next to Koumac, and it's extra CAP, we're going to have a carrier battle. I'm guessing that KB is going to move south and stay out of range of a carrier battle. However, with this move, I'm accepting that a battle is very possible. If KB stays out of range, it's possible that a bombardment force could hit Noumea and then retire to Koumac, where it would be target for my carriers.

Anything could happen tomorrow. It's going to be a sleepless night at Allied headquarters.

Image
Attachments
1May42N..CROPPED.gif
1May42N..CROPPED.gif (225.31 KiB) Viewed 493 times
User avatar
CaptBeefheart
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:42 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by CaptBeefheart »

[Popcorn Icon]. Good luck!

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

Thanks!

I do have 5 US carriers and 2 Brit carriers, so it's no small force. I've replaced 2 of my TBD squadrons with extra SBDs. I've limited my TBDs to range 4, limiting them to using their torpedoes or not flying. The pilots are poorly trained in bombing. The Brit carriers could bounce a few bombs on the armored decks. And I've done the first refits for my carriers, cruisers, and destroyers. A bit better AAA, not great like later in the war, but better than at start.

On the down side, the enemy is moving many battleships with the carriers, and they could soak up a lot of my SBD bombs. And the enemy pilots are much better than mine.

All we can do now is wait and see.
User avatar
Bif1961
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:52 pm
Location: Phenix City, Alabama

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by Bif1961 »

Operation scatter let his KB air groups go after everything else while your carriers are behind them and when he has spent all his planes in attacking the thundering herd you planes with have but one target, unlike hi s going after dozens of low value targets.
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20769
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by BBfanboy »

That first strike was detected at 115 miles and only four fighters went up to meet it???! What happened there?

As per RL Guadalcanal, the strategic game here is to bleed the best Japanese pilots from their inventory by making them fight over your base, so keeping up CAP and repairing the airfield are extremely important. And the USN et al should make a show once in a while when reinforcements and supply are brought in but basing ships there is too dangerous. IMO CL St. Louis was too valuable a ship to leave at Noumea for KB's strike, which would have gone for any old bomb fodder.

As it stands, CL Durban is doomed with 98 float damage so I would scuttle it to save any port repair points for St. Louis. Or as an alternative to scuttling put Durban in a TF and send it toward KB (so it does not auto-disband again) to try and get KB to send another naval strike instead of port strike.

Meanwhile, you are getting a heavy punch with your carriers so with a bit more training and experience you can have your own field day! Good Luck!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

There was an Oscar sweep in the morning before the naval strike intercept. St. Louis was with a combat TF, prepared for a bombardment that didn't come.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

2 May 42

I-24 takes some damage from US APDs at Norfolk Island. Messages seemed to indicate that it may have dropped a midget sub. The APDs later attack again, doing more minor damage to the sub.

At Noumea, battleships Kongo, Haruna, and Hiei, with cruiser Maya and 8 destroyers show up at night. They find already burning xAK Don Isidro, which moved from adjacent Isle of Pine and didn't quite get disbanded into port. A few big shells sink the cargo ship quickly. Surprisingly, the enemy task force does not bombard.

Northeast of Darwin, sub Pollack spots 2 xAPs, 2 APDs, and 2 DDs. Escorts do very minor damage to the sub.

The enemy battleship task force retired to Koumac. KB is not seen. Allied carrier aircraft sortie, and find a huge CAP at Koumac.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Koumac at 113,156

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 109

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 71
SBD-3 Dauntless x 48

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 12 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-3 Dauntless: 15 destroyed, 19 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Hiei
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
8 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb


It was not pretty to watch. Total air losses for the day were somewhat less than I expected from the replay. I lost 28 F4F-3s and 26 SBD-3s. 23 Zeros were downed, half of which from ops. Not a single bomb hit, and most targeted battleships anyhow.

I was actually happy how this turn played out. I did not have to engage KB. I lost some F4F-3s, but I've been saving up the new F4F-4s, with over 50 in the pool. So fighters won't be a problem. The SBD pool is rather low though, but I do have other squadrons that could be used.

All in all, mission accomplished. I risked the carriers to save 30 or so cargo ships, and did so without ship loss. I'll leave the area for the time being. Noumea is somewhat safe from ground attack. The enemy has air superiority, but I'll keep some fighters there to appear to have some strength. At least, I need to CAP the damaged light cruisers in Noumea's port. Probably a hopeless cause, but I have to try. St. Louis can only move 1 hex a day right now, so it's pointless to leave, but if I can get the flotation damage down some, maybe I can make a run to safety and hope for bad weather.

Aurorus seems to have kept KB near Luganville, possibly pulling it back a bit. I expected a bold move to the south to chase the Allied carriers. He's being careful. He is a careful player. He tries to maximize his odds in any given situation. I haven't seen what I'd call a bold move yet. His opening in the game was strategically bold, but his implementation was careful. He is constantly minimizing losses while hunting down every possible squad to kill, i.e. Borneo, Java, Samatra. I don't know if this is a desire to maximize victory points, or just his style. Regardless, he is risk averse.

In other news, battleship Prince of Wales has finished repairs at Pearl Harbor, and has been joined by 4 US light cruisers just out of refit. They start to head to the South Pacific to augment the carriers.

SigInt says that the 30th Infantry Regiment in planning an attack for Clark, and the 1st Independent Field Artillery is planning for Bataan. 33 Division is at Soerabaja. It was just victorious at Bandoeng. A US sub will be patrolling east of Soerabaja soon, hoping to catch transports with troops aboard.

In summary, no carrier battle, some carrier planes lost, but the reinforcement of Noumea is complete. More supply will be needed in the future, but not immediately.

Image
Attachments
2May42N..CROPPED.gif
2May42N..CROPPED.gif (206.73 KiB) Viewed 497 times
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by zuluhour »

This is exciting. I like the white knuckle times.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

3 May 42

Sub Sailfish is spotted by an AK and DMS near Tavoy in the Indian Ocean. Sailfish escapes unscathed in the shallow water.

With an enemy light cruiser having hit a mine at Balep Island near Koumac, enemy minesweepers arrive to clean the remaining ones up. It only works once, but I'm happy that it did work this time.

At Norfolk Island sub I-16 spots an xAK and a DMS. The sub fires 2 torpedoes at xAK Johanne Justesen, hitting the ship once. The ship doesn't sink immediately, but does sink later in the day. It was unloading an anti-aircraft unit at Norfolk. Most of the unit had unloaded, but some guns were lost. This wasn't listed on the combat report as the ship sank later in the day. I-16 is hit once with a depth charge. Messages indicate that a midget sub may have been launched at Norfolk also.

I-172 is hit with a depth charge, also at Norfolk Island. PC Onondaga is on ASW duty there.

I-174 fires 2 torpedoes at APD John D. Edwards well south-east of Noumea, but misses. The APDs are on a fast transport mission carrying supply for Noumea. Having been spotted, and still just out of range for a fast run-in to the base, I abort the intended mission and redirect the task force to unload at Norfolk Island, and then retire to Auckland. The dozen or so APDs are not worth risking for the small amount of supply they carry, given that they were spotted.

13 B-26s bomb the 40th Division near Ichang, which is in clear terrain. 180 casualties. Just a nuisance raid.

Cargo ships that are being escorted from Noumea by the carriers will now head toward Sydney. The Allied carriers will break off and head to Auckland. I've grounded all of their search planes to try to get to New Zealand unseen. The previous routing looked like all of the Allied ships were headed to Sydney.

More new SigInt for Luzon. 1st Infantry Regiment is planning for Manila, as is the 57th Infantry Regiment. Still no divisions planning for Luzon, or for Australia, for that matter. 65th Brigade is at Cagayan, which I knew. I knew it was going to Butuan, which it did, and unloaded. It's heading to the inland mountain base that is still holding out.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

4 May 42

The enemy clears the rest of the mines at Belep Islands.

SE of Noumea, APDs do minor damage to I-174 after the sub fires 4 torpedoes at APD Bulmer, but misses.

Near Lord Howe Island, I-21 fires 4 torpedoes at DD Van Ghent, but misses. The destroyers are escorting cargo ships to Sydney from Noumea. In a followup attack, I-21 is damaged a bit more from the DDs.

Some minor enemy bombing in China. I have few Chinese units still in clear terrain.

Allied carriers broke from escorting cargo ships to Sydney, and are now headed to Auckland. A task force of US cruisers arrived at Auckland after finishing refit at Pearl Harbor. They will augment the carrier defenses.

In Burma, with all bases in enemy hands except for Akyab and Cox Bazar, the enemy does not appear to be moving north in the jungle. The enemy is doing extensive recon of the Allied line forming near the Indian border. The division that feinted toward Chittagong headed SW toward Akyab. More recon will tell if it is continuing that way. Akyab is held by a very minor unit, and will be evacuated if the division approaches. The line is just south of Chittagong.

From detection levels, it appears that KB has continued to the north, and is now west of Nauru Island, possibly heading to Truk. I may want to force more supply into Noumea sooner rather than later.

Turns were completed earlier in the day than usual. There's a chance of another.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

5 May 42

Near Rekata Bay, NW of Tulagi, Dutch sub O23 spots a big task force with CA Tone and 2 CS, and many DDs. Could be one of the CV task forces. 4 torpedoes are fired at DD Kazegumo but miss.

Just NE of Balep Islands, sub Swordfish spots a mixed task force, with CA Kako and CL Jintsu, 2 DMS, and 5 DDs. 2 torpedoes miss DD Hayate. This task force is notable because CL Jintsu is reported to be heavily damaged. It is the ship that hit a mine at Balep last week. The task force is undoubtedly north bound.

SW of Kwajalein, sub Grayback spots an xAK and a PB. 2 torpedoes are fired at PB Nanrei Maru, getting a hit, but it's a dud.

Reduced strength squadrons of P-40Es and P-39s sweep La Foa for the first time. No CAP is spotted. B-26s from Norfolk Island hit the airfield, as does B-17s from Suva. Moderate damage is done.

Enemy carriers are suspected to be NW of Tulagi and/or SW of Tulagi. My gut feeling is that they are moving for some kind of offensive operation, something other than New Caledonia. They were used little recently, and shouldn't need to rearm or refuel. Allied carriers are known to be in the South Pacific, and yet the enemy carriers have gone north.

Maybe we'll see if the SigInt for attacks in NE Australia are true. Or if there are serious plans in the Indian Ocean, the enemy carriers would have to go there. Just speculation on my part. Their movement north has helped make up my mind to force more supply into Noumea soon, and possibly move in the parts of Americal division that didn't land already. Supply is priority one though. I've restarted building forts, airbase, and port at Noumea. The port will soon become level 4, which will help with unloading.

The 2 slow US battleships are back at Sydney. The 2 slow Brit battleships each took a sub torpedo in recent operations. Their only contribution was guarding the armada at Noumea for a turn, then doing a weak bombardment of enemy troops there. One battleship is already on the way to the West Coast for repairs. The other made it safely to Auckland, where it will do some repairs in preparation of following the other battleship east.

US carriers make it to Auckland today. We're about to get the first US CLAA in Panama.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

It's quite possible that Aurorus could leave those CS's there, causing high detection level, while the carriers go off to some other operation. I can't rule this out. Not to mention, I don't think I saw all of KB in my last "almost" carrier battle.

Imperial Guard Division has been at Singapore for a long time. Then 3 divisions were freed up when Bandoeng, Java fell. One may have already come to Koumac, but I don't know. So there's a number of divisions unaccounted for, with a good deal of SigInt for NE Australia and for Luzon. However, no divisions were mentioned in any of that SigInt.

I'm not seeing a rush through the Burma/India border. Quite the opposite. Burma was conquered and the divisions stopped and/or went south. It's that part of the war where we see if there is going to be a big step beyond historical moves. (Of course, Luganville and New Caledonia is already beyond. Skipping Luzon allowed that.
User avatar
apbarog
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 6:54 am

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by apbarog »

6 May 42

Dutch sub KXVIII fires 2 torpedoes at DD Mikazuki but misses. Also spotted are 3 heavy cruisers, a light cruiser, and other destroyers. This is near Lunga.

LB-30s and B-17s again bomb La Foa's airfield. I'd intended to rest them after bombing yesterday, but forgot. Luckily, no CAP. Very minor damage to the airfield in the rain.

Minor enemy bombing in China near Kweilin.

High sub detection levels today near Munda and south of Guadalcanal. Either carriers lurking or seaplane carriers lighting up everything they can on search.

Something to note from the recent activity around Noumea: Aurorus makes heavy use of night naval search, definitely from ships, and possibly from land. My task forces were lit up well at night. This can really help subs find a night target, or help with combat ships set up to patrol and react. Something to remember.

Sigint for today: Etorofu has the 63rd Infantry Group. Maybe defensive. Etorofu has had some heavy activity recently. There's been absolutely no activity in the Kuriles or Aleutians for either side so far. That may change.

The first CLAA appeared in Panama. BB Warspite is about to arrive in Panama from Capetown. The CLAA (I think San Diego) will join Warspite on a trip to the South Pacific.
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Wedge Donovan Wins the War: Apbarog(A) vs Aurorus(J) DBB-B

Post by zuluhour »

Kido Butai can only dominate so long and that amphibious bonus should be gone now. I hope you can keep your lodgement and his attention. It could
cost him if you get enough ground based naval air and sandwich him with your carriers here. Bagging a division or two in the late summer or fall here
could slingshot you on the offensive. I fought my best carrier battles in late '42 with ample naval air land based supporting the fast TFs. I think I made
out 3:2. Never saw KB again.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”