ny59giants, you should open a ticket. Matrix can change your unified user name to what you prefer.ORIGINAL: Lowpe
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
I bought TOAW4 (The Art of War 4) recently from Matrix. There is new way to have just one user ID and PW. The unexpected result is the "MatrixForum" being attached to my ny59giants. My AE opponent, Gen Patton, was a play tester for it. One thing I like is the manual is twice the size of the AE manual and hardcover.
Curious about that, too, Mystery solved.[:)]
Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
KB - you may need to recombine and keep her in a position that is a full speed run away a launch position of 7 or 8 hexes away from DS or whatever TF you are targeting in the future.
KB's TBs - I train up in NavT and then NavB. Now, while I'm waiting I'm going for a third skill, ASW. One is to prepare for potential very heavy Allied sub presence. Another reason is that with limited use of those pilots in combat, I have some with experience only in the mid-50s. This third skill will raise it to mid-60s. I would micro-manage your KB pilots once KB returns to port overall. Get the 'best of the best' in there as you may get only one good shot in.
That's what I try to do with my TFs. And yes, I usually train KBs bombers (both flavors) in ASW. Just about all of KBs bomber pilots are at experience 70+. MKB is usually lower. I do have too many pilots in some of the units. I am going to lower the total per daitai to max size +3 pilots, 1 per plane. I have 5-6 elite pilots in the fighter units and 0-1 in the bomber units. The elite pilots in the bomber units is always (or just about) the commander.
I've had extraordinarily low carrier pilot losses so far.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Here's my carrier fighter experience:


- Attachments
-
- Fighters.jpg (111.57 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Dive Bombers:


- Attachments
-
- DiveBombers.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
and Torpedo Bombers:


- Attachments
-
- TorpedoBombers.jpg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Marshalls & Gilberts: What are your troops levels look like at bases like Mili, Makin, Ailinglaplap, and other potential size 5 AFs? They usually have SL of 10k or more which allows more troops when I capture them as Allies and then for BFs and Air HQs. As Allied player, I want them to be able to base my B-24s.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
What's your Jill production numbers? I worry that your slow Kates and Vals will cause uncoordinated strikes with so many different speeds for your aircraft. Look at the cruise speed of your Zero, Jill, Kates, Vals, and Judys. I could see one main strike coming in followed by your slower Vals and Kates coming in after without any escorts getting slaughtered.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
I haven't converted any xAKs to AKs.
Michael was referring to xAPs, I'm sure.
I haven't read anything after this yet, but want to get it in before I forget. So if someone else has addressed this...
Mike the reason I bring this up is that xAP's work just like xAK's when unloading over the beach, 250 points per ship per turn. AK's unload at a rate of 600 points. The only thing you have are maybe a couple of LSD's which unload at a true assault rate, 3000 points.
See 6.3.3.3.2.1 'Over the beach', p128.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
What's your Jill production numbers? I worry that your slow Kates and Vals will cause uncoordinated strikes with so many different speeds for your aircraft. Look at the cruise speed of your Zero, Jill, Kates, Vals, and Judys. I could see one main strike coming in followed by your slower Vals and Kates coming in after without any escorts getting slaughtered.
Could be a big factor for you as ny59giants says.
I've noticed the speed deltas some time ago, and is why I've planned to get Judy/Jill at about the same time with same production numbers. Hopefully by the time I get to your time frame in the game I'll have them all converted. Then again I've had your experience to guide my decisions in my current game, which is about 8 months behind you. Thanks.[;)]
Sorry Mike, you've been a good mentor. Even though you may not realize it.[&o][&o][&o]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
Marshalls & Gilberts: What are your troops levels look like at bases like Mili, Makin, Ailinglaplap, and other potential size 5 AFs? They usually have SL of 10k or more which allows more troops when I capture them as Allies and then for BFs and Air HQs. As Allied player, I want them to be able to base my B-24s.
Troop levels aren't very good. Here's the potential size 5 airfields in the cent pac:
Mili: 3123/30k
Makin: 1490/30k
Kusaie: 2537/unlimited
Ponape: 2993/unlimited
Ailinglaplap: 0/30k (I've never even looked at this place before.)
Tarawa: 2480/30k
I'm not even sure where to find troops to stick in any of them. [:(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
What's your Jill production numbers? I worry that your slow Kates and Vals will cause uncoordinated strikes with so many different speeds for your aircraft. Look at the cruise speed of your Zero, Jill, Kates, Vals, and Judys. I could see one main strike coming in followed by your slower Vals and Kates coming in after without any escorts getting slaughtered.
You're not going to like my production numbers. [:D]
IJA Fighters:

- Attachments
-
- IJAFighters.jpg (113.18 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
IJN Fighters:


- Attachments
-
- IJNFighters.jpg (107.82 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Dive Bombers:


- Attachments
-
- DB.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Torpedo Bombers:


- Attachments
-
- TB.jpg (83.36 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16743
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: rustysi
What's your Jill production numbers? I worry that your slow Kates and Vals will cause uncoordinated strikes with so many different speeds for your aircraft. Look at the cruise speed of your Zero, Jill, Kates, Vals, and Judys. I could see one main strike coming in followed by your slower Vals and Kates coming in after without any escorts getting slaughtered.
Could be a big factor for you as ny59giants says.
I've noticed the speed deltas some time ago, and is why I've planned to get Judy/Jill at about the same time with same production numbers. Hopefully by the time I get to your time frame in the game I'll have them all converted. Then again I've had your experience to guide my decisions in my current game, which is about 8 months behind you. Thanks.[;)]
Sorry Mike, you've been a good mentor. Even though you may not realize it.[&o][&o][&o]
No problem, Rusty. [:D] I've never gotten close to this far in this game. It's all brand new territory for me. I (obviously) never realized the significance of different speeds and their implications in flying missions. I'm going to need some more Jills. Yikes.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
IJA Fighters - The Oscars will be your long range escort planes and some use the IV models as kamikaze planes. From what little I know, your going to use Franks and more Franks as your best fighters. The Tojo is good until mid-44 mainly due to their SR1. Cannot say anything about Tony as I'm producing only 30 per month (the factory has a relative of yours running the place so the numbers are kept low [:D]).
IJN Fighters - Looks like you are behind on the Sam which is what you will need to face the 2nd gen Corsairs on your CVs. Reading Canoerebels AAR, he is doing very well with the Corsairs sweeping in '45.
DBs - I would increase them to 90/month. The 3rd gen gets you to SR1 with 500kg bomb, The 4th gen come with those nasty 800kg bombs. You need to replace the Vals where ever they are being used, IMO.
TBs - Only 30 Jills per month?? Really?!? I have to go up to 90/month. You get extra range carrying a TT besides the speed increase. Kates just for use around Japan in ASW groups and training.
You need to treat KB like the USN did towards the SSBNs I worked on in late 70s and early 80s. Nothing was too good for those subs. She is your samurai sword.
Looking even farther ahead, you will need the fastest bombers to get to DS and use as kamikazes. So, look at your R&D efforts there.
IJN Fighters - Looks like you are behind on the Sam which is what you will need to face the 2nd gen Corsairs on your CVs. Reading Canoerebels AAR, he is doing very well with the Corsairs sweeping in '45.
DBs - I would increase them to 90/month. The 3rd gen gets you to SR1 with 500kg bomb, The 4th gen come with those nasty 800kg bombs. You need to replace the Vals where ever they are being used, IMO.
TBs - Only 30 Jills per month?? Really?!? I have to go up to 90/month. You get extra range carrying a TT besides the speed increase. Kates just for use around Japan in ASW groups and training.
You need to treat KB like the USN did towards the SSBNs I worked on in late 70s and early 80s. Nothing was too good for those subs. She is your samurai sword.
Looking even farther ahead, you will need the fastest bombers to get to DS and use as kamikazes. So, look at your R&D efforts there.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]-
mind_messing
- Posts: 3394
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
Marshalls & Gilberts: What are your troops levels look like at bases like Mili, Makin, Ailinglaplap, and other potential size 5 AFs? They usually have SL of 10k or more which allows more troops when I capture them as Allies and then for BFs and Air HQs. As Allied player, I want them to be able to base my B-24s.
Troop levels aren't very good. Here's the potential size 5 airfields in the cent pac:
Mili: 3123/30k
Makin: 1490/30k
Kusaie: 2537/unlimited
Ponape: 2993/unlimited
Ailinglaplap: 0/30k (I've never even looked at this place before.)
Tarawa: 2480/30k
I'm not even sure where to find troops to stick in any of them. [:(]
Don't bother, it is a pointless exercise. Troops out here only serve the purpose of preventing paratroopers from seizing territory and forcing the Allies to make a serious effort to take the island rather than a shoestring OP. Anything more than 100 AV is a waste: if it's not systematically bombed and bombarded to dust prior to the invasion, it will be bypassed and ignored.
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Look at the max and cruise speeds along with the normal range (7 to 10) to carry a torpedo. This is why you need to crank up production. [:)]


- Attachments
-
- KatevJill.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 717 times
[center]
[/center]
[/center]- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
The few drawbacks of the earlier Judys are the SR3. Not until the 3rd gen does it drop back to SR1. You can use drop tanks to increase their range, even on CVs. However, you will have to micro-manage them on your CVs to ensure they are using them. Again, the speed differences are the reasons why you upgrade.


- Attachments
-
- ValvJudy.jpg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 717 times
[center]
[/center]
[/center]RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
I actually wouldn't bump up Judy production any farther unless you absolutely need to. Once you get the D4Y3 (or 4 if you're going that far on R&D), I think production of even the 150 you have allocated now is too much. They simply don't see much action aside from KB strikes.
You absolutely need more Jills. I would bump to 60 for now. With the number you have allocated to R&D, I'm not sure I'd R&D the Grace.
Don't listen to nygiants about the Oscar-IV. Don't give in. It's not a good plane for 1944+.
For Corsair sweeps, I've found Jacks/Georges/Franks do OK as long as you have the right settings (usually low/mid altitude). Unfortunately, the Corsair is one of the planes the Allies can afford to sweep with simply to attrit your numbers - they get a lot of them, starting with the -1D model. So even if you're killing a lot of them, there are always more...
You absolutely need more Jills. I would bump to 60 for now. With the number you have allocated to R&D, I'm not sure I'd R&D the Grace.
Don't listen to nygiants about the Oscar-IV. Don't give in. It's not a good plane for 1944+.
For Corsair sweeps, I've found Jacks/Georges/Franks do OK as long as you have the right settings (usually low/mid altitude). Unfortunately, the Corsair is one of the planes the Allies can afford to sweep with simply to attrit your numbers - they get a lot of them, starting with the -1D model. So even if you're killing a lot of them, there are always more...



