Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli


Fuel: 2,322,572 - 18.1 month supply for the economy. I figure half gets used on ship and wastage so figure 9 months.
Oil: 1,986,277 - 8.6 month supply
Resources: 17,547,613 - 13.1 month supply

Supply: 2,090,394 - No clue if this is good or bad. Pax, what do you think?

Ok, percentage of my Empire's stuff that is in the Home Islands:

Fuel: 68.2%
Oil: 87.0%
Resources: 86.9%
Supply: 54.0%

Higher than I thought. Interesting...
So, 9/43 and you have 4M supply empire wide. I think you are on target, prolly a bit ahead. My drop dead min target for 6/44 is 6M.
270 days to get 2M more is only 7500/day saving. I suspect you are saving more than that.
The catch is that the operational tempo picks up now so it gets harder to hit that saving target. Still, I bet you beat the 6M number easily.

Pax
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lokasenna »

Depends on what your daily +supply number is.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Ok, time to catch up on the turns.

3 Sep 43

Sub War

The I-35 took out the other xAKL headed to Dutch Harbor. I wonder why he's using xAKLs to supply Dutch Harbor, and only 2 of them....

Just off Shanghai, on of those puny patrol craft, the CHa-33, hit the Seal twice with DCs. Yay for shallow hexes!

The I-8 was caught by the PC-776 and took minor damage including some damaged torpedo tubes. She's short on torpedoes so she'll head home for repairs.

5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

Nothing too exciting today. Just the 200+ Allied bomber sorties spread around the usual suspect bases.

I do see some ships sitting at Namatanai. I'm sending CL Yubari and half a dozen DDs to see if they can sink something.

It is interesting that the US division that was heading north toward Kavieng has stopped. I don't understand that. If he only knew there's basically a platoon of infantry left in the SNLF blocking the way and less than a company in Kavieng itself. Will he invade? I hope so. That could be fun for my carrier pilots. Last I saw of his remaining operational carriers, they were at Milne Bay.

Namatanai has finally built a level 1 airfield. I suspect he's working on the port too, but it's not done yet.

SRA
Burma


Nothing to report.

China

I'm ready to attack, but there's a supply shortage in the army at Chungking. So I wait...

I did kill an errant Chinese corps in the countryside. Those troops will wander over to the next one.

Other Stuff

Reinforcement: RO-42, headed to Truk.

I got confirmation that the DD Carmick was sunk by a Judy on 8/6/43. She was part of the CVE TF that got trashed.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

4 Sep 43

Sub War
5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

I screwed up with the placement of the Yubari/DD TF. Somehow, I sent them too close to Buka when setting them up for their run on Namatanai. They were within range of SBD-5s. Does the -5 have a longer range? Anyway, Yubari took a 1000lb bomb. She actually isn't in too bad shape at 16-4-0-0, but she's headed back to Truk escorted by a DD to join the long list of damaged ships there. That leaves 5 DDs to go in. I debated a lot over whether or not to do it, but I decided to go for it. What's the worst that can happen, right? [:D]

Other than the Allied bombers, nothing happened.

SRA
Burma


Nothing to report.

China

Still waiting for the supply to arrive.

Other Stuff

The Ki-43-IV R&D advanced to 2/45 (will become operational 2/44).
The Ki-84r R&D advanced to 6/45 (will become operational 2/44).

I got confirmation that the old CL Concord sank from a Judy on 8/7/43 near Buka. She was also part of the CVE TF that was trashed on 8/6/43. Here's what I have confirmed as losses:

CVE TF:
CVE Anzio
CVE Santee
BB New Mexico
CL Concord
DD Carmick
DE Edward C. Daly
DE Gilmore

CV TF:
CV Saratoga
CA New Orleans
CA Wichita

Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Zorch
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:21 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

4 Sep 43

Sub War
5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

I screwed up with the placement of the Yubari/DD TF. Somehow, I sent them too close to Buka when setting them up for their run on Namatanai. They were within range of SBD-5s. Does the -5 have a longer range? Anyway, Yubari took a 1000lb bomb. She actually isn't in too bad shape at 16-4-0-0, but she's headed back to Truk escorted by a DD to join the long list of damaged ships there. That leaves 5 DDs to go in. I debated a lot over whether or not to do it, but I decided to go for it. What's the worst that can happen, right? [:D]

Other than the Allied bombers, nothing happened.

SRA
Burma


Nothing to report.

China

Still waiting for the supply to arrive.

Other Stuff

The Ki-43-IV R&D advanced to 2/45 (will become operational 2/44).
The Ki-84r R&D advanced to 6/45 (will become operational 2/44).

I got confirmation that the old CL Concord sank from a Judy on 8/7/43 near Buka. She was also part of the CVE TF that was trashed on 8/6/43. Here's what I have confirmed as losses:

CVE TF:
CVE Anzio
CVE Santee
BB New Mexico
CL Concord
DD Carmick
DE Edward C. Daly
DE Gilmore

CV TF:
CV Saratoga
CA New Orleans
CA Wichita
Davy Jones has a pretty good fleet.

Any more info on the Namatanai ground force?
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

5 Sep 43

Sub War

Four hexes south of Tokyo, a new ship on a training cruise, the E Wakamiya found and hit the Amberjack with a depth charge.

Most people say that Japanese ASW ships are torpedo magnets. I view them differently. For me, their primary job is to be targets. The torpedoes usually miss, but they do cause the US subs to expend their torpedoes more quickly and have to head home. I'll take that.

5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

The 5 Japanese DDs made a midnight run at a pretty large surface TF composed of 6 CA, 4 CL and 6 DD. Oh yeah, the Japanese were surprised. I got very lucky. The Shimikaze took 4 shells, 2 each 6" and 5" and the Ushio took a 5". In return, the DD Reid (a survivor of the trashed US CV TF) took a Long Lance and went down and three of the CAs took a few shells. Here's my damage:

Shimikaze: 23-2-4(1)-0, does she have armor?
Ushio: 21-0-6(1)-0

They'll make Truk tomorrow and add to the growing list of damaged ships.

Guess what? Allied bombers visited my airfields!

The US division two hexes south of Kavieng is still sitting there. Yay!

I did a night attack on Namatanai with some Betties. You can't attack ground troops at night so I hit the airfield. There were P-47s on the ground, so the paradrop is off the table. Too bad.

SRA
Burma


Nothing to report.

China

Still a shortage of supply so the Chungking attack waits again.

Other Stuff

Reinforcement: 66 JNAF AF Unit, Southern Army
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by zuluhour »

armor is a relative term.[;)]
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

Finally registered on the forum and posting.

This topic has been my Holy Bible when I was learning the game (and I am currently doing!). I am quite happy to write my first post here.

Thank you again for this game and greetings from Italy!


Regards,

Francesco

Welcome to our madness.[;)]

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

There were P-47s on the ground, so the paradrop is off the table. Too bad.

Say it isn't so mike.[:D] Was looking forward to this little op. Thought it had such potential to throw another monkey wrench into Ted's plans. No chance for a sweep? A naval bombardment? Followed by the paras? Awe, I never get to have any fun.[:D]

Well OK, you must do as you feel best.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
There were P-47s on the ground, so the paradrop is off the table. Too bad.

Say it isn't so mike.[:D] Was looking forward to this little op. Thought it had such potential to throw another monkey wrench into Ted's plans. No chance for a sweep? A naval bombardment? Followed by the paras? Awe, I never get to have any fun.[:D]

Well OK, you must do as you feel best.[:)]

The nearest operational airfield is Truk. Also, there's a surface TF of 6 CA, 4 CL and 6 DD sitting in the hex, so no bombardment by ships is happening. I was looking forward to that op as well. Also, that division was moving. That little arrow wasn't showing. I guess when there's only 3 survivors, they can't see much. [:D]

I just sent back the 7 Sep turn and the division is in the hex with the SNLF remnants. 2 squads, 3 guns and a few support. I'm having them bombard. [:D]

Off to cut the grass before it rains. I'll upload then.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

... before it rains.
I've heard of this phenomena, but it has been so long since I have actually seen it that I've starting to think that it is all just fake news.

[:D][:D][:D]
Pax
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

... before it rains.
I've heard of this phenomena, but it has been so long since I have actually seen it that I've starting to think that it is all just fake news.

[:D][:D][:D]
Stop exaggerating. We has 0.06 inch only a week ago.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

Well, when Hurricane "Bob" blew through last week we were supposed to get 'doused'. I got just enough at my house to form the dust into concentric rings on my windshield. Last rain at my house was last July … so 11 months now and counting … hoping for a successful monsoon this year … [;)]
Pax
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Pax, where the heck to you live?! I'll gladly send some of this rain your way. Been trying to fill in an old pond that we didn't want any more. Damn thing keeps filling up with water.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

6 Sep 43

Another day of relative quiet before the storm.

First off, I heard sinking sounds, and it wasn't my ship. [:D] Probably a YMS. [8|]

Only about half of Ted's bombers flew. Probably a rest day.

My Ki-67-Ia R&D factory finally completed repairs. I'll get that model a couple months early, 2/44.

Like I said, not much happened.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

7 Sep 43

Sub War

The I-173 was hanging out SW of Milne Bay hoping to get a shot at the US CV TF but instead found an ASW TF. She took a depth charge and he heading home with moderate damage.

A line of RO class subs had formed to the NE of Buka, in case something headed north toward Kavieng. A different ASW TF found the RO-104 and hit her once also. She is also headed to the barn with moderate damage.

5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

The troops at Kavieng took a fair number of Allied bomber sorties. The rest visited Manus' airfield.

The US attack force finally reached the SNLF remnants. They'll attack tomorrow, I'm sure. It's composed of 1 Marine Division, 18 Combat Engineer Regiment and I US Amphibious Corps HQ. Talk about overkill!

SRA
Burma
China


Other Stuff

I got confirmation that the Whale was put down at Dutch Harbor on 7/31/43 during a surprise naval bombardment there.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

8 Sep 43

Sub War

The I-173 was hanging out SW of Milne Bay hoping to run into the US CV TF but instead found an ASW TF. She took a DC and moderate damage and is heading home.

A line of RO class subs was to the NE of Buka hoping to intercept anything moving toward Kavieng but the RO-104 ran into an ASW TF. She took a DC and is also heading home with moderate damage.

5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

The 2 SNLF squads tried valiantly to hold off the 1 Marine Division.....and failed. [:D]

Ted must have seen my fast transport PB dropping off supply at Manus and sent 188 bomber sorties after the port there. [:D]

I spotted the US CV TF (see below). It's allegedly heading NW. If it heads north out of land based cover, I'll send my carriers down there:

KB
Shokaku (36 A6M5, 18 D4Y1, 18 B6N2)
Zuikaku (36 A6M5, 18 D4Y1, 18 B6N2)
Soryu (27 A6M5c, 18 D4Y1, 18 B6N2)

MKB
Ryujo (36 A6M5, 12 B6N2)
Shoho (21 A6M5, 9 B6N2)
Hosho (12 A6M5, 6 B6N2)

The idea is to have KB 9-10 hexes away from the US carriers and MKB 11-12 hexes away. That'll give me 54 Jills hauling torpedoes and 27 Jills hauling 250 kg bombs and be out of range of the US Dauntlesses and Avengers. The A6M5cs will only fly CAP and the A6M5s will use drop tanks. MKBs CAP will have 2 hex range to support KB. Should I be successful, KB will swoop in to finish off the ships with Judys and Jills. My carriers are sitting in port and won't even form a TF unless he moves north.

I think Ted figures most of my carriers are damaged to some extent (Akagi, Kaga and Hiyo are). I don't think this will happen, but I'm ready, just in case.

SRA

I have a 15 kt and 18 kt convoy leaving Singapore headed for the Home Islands hauling 111k fuel, 57k oil and 34k resources. There's a lot more loading that will head out in the next few days.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

I'm attacking Chungking again tomorrow. The supply finally made it to my army. Current AV is 5144. Lets see how well the 3 Tank Division does....

Other Stuff

Today I got confirmation that the Wasp went down on 8/7/43! Woo Hoo!!!

The D4Y3 R&D advanced to 12/43. It will become operational 11/43, same as the D4Y2.

A few days ago, Ted got CVL Cowpens. That makes 2-5 operational CVs (Enterprise, Lexington and Essex should be about repaired) and 4 CVLs operational.


Image
Attachments
SEFleet.jpg
SEFleet.jpg (128.15 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Bif1961
Posts: 2014
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:52 pm
Location: Phenix City, Alabama

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Bif1961 »

Good luck carrier hunting putting a hurt on these would change his calculations about future operations requiring carrier support if you can put a few down in the next few days.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Pax, where the heck to you live?! I'll gladly send some of this rain your way. Been trying to fill in an old pond that we didn't want any more. Damn thing keeps filling up with water.
Valley of the Sun - Phoenix area
Pax
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Pax, where the heck to you live?! I'll gladly send some of this rain your way. Been trying to fill in an old pond that we didn't want any more. Damn thing keeps filling up with water.
Valley of the Sun - Phoenix area
I am in over watch in the high country, to keep Pax on the straight and narrow! [:D]
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”