Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

I use them!! Then, there is the little button that has them follow the waypoints back to home port. I use it too! [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

I use them!! Then, there is the little button that has them follow the waypoints back to home port. I use it too! [;)]
Absolutely!
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Yes, I do use waypoints on CS convoys on occasion, but I'll be using it a lot more now.

Michael, that's a clever idea with the mines. Never thought of that. I have a decent pool of several of the different types of mines. Nice little mission for some of those little CMs that carry just a handful of mines.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
ITAKLinus
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Italy

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ITAKLinus »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
If you know where his subs are, but cannot drive them off, try laying mines in that hex even if its ocean and not a base. They may hit and freak him out of where you are placing mines.


Been there, done that.

It's amazing and really confusing for the allied player. I remember I had a mail from my previous enemy saying the game was bugged and many other complaints because a TK exploded in the middle of the ocean between SDiego and PH.

He didn't know I had spotted his sea lane and instead of being raped by ASW patrolling it, I placed a random line of mines.


Against subs it's very effective as well, especially in forced passages (I think about the shallow water hex between Hokkaido and Sakhalin for example).
Subs are somehow very prone to hitting mines and once they hit, they are usually forced to go surfaced. A random TF with a couple of DD can send them to God quite easily.
Francesco
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
If you know where his subs are, but cannot drive them off, try laying mines in that hex even if its ocean and not a base. They may hit and freak him out of where you are placing mines.


Been there, done that.

It's amazing and really confusing for the allied player. I remember I had a mail from my previous enemy saying the game was bugged and many other complaints because a TK exploded in the middle of the ocean between SDiego and PH.

He didn't know I had spotted his sea lane and instead of being raped by ASW patrolling it, I placed a random line of mines.


Against subs it's very effective as well, especially in forced passages (I think about the shallow water hex between Hokkaido and Sakhalin for example).
Subs are somehow very prone to hitting mines and once they hit, they are usually forced to go surfaced. A random TF with a couple of DD can send them to God quite easily.
Kudos! All of my mid-ocean mining efforts have so far missed.
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

The Allied subs are finding my coastal convoy routes now. Everywhere is becoming dangerous. I'm going to have to fine tune my routes to get past the known Allied sub concentrations and station some of my better ASW assets (both naval and air) to keep the subs spotted.

And Sept '43 is when all his torp problems disappear. IOW his dud rate is now at the minimum, IIRC 20%.
have plenty of ASW ships (especially those little CHa-xx fishing boats with the Type 95 DCs. They're still effective (somewhat) in shallow hexes.

Don't ya just love it when he fires a torp at one of these, and then it misses.[:D]
My best ASW aircraft are the IJAAF bombers that carry 250kg bombs.

I like to train the Mavis and Emily in ASW. Lotsa bombs and long range should combine for a destructive combo. Not to mention the second Emily will eventually get radar. Nell G3M3 looks good too.
If you know where his subs are, but cannot drive them off, try laying mines in that hex even if its ocean and not a base.

I was just about to suggest this. Every time I think I'm the most sneaky SoB out here someone comes along and proves me wrong.[:'(]
CS convoys

Want to talk about micro-management.

I've stopped using these, as it doesn't allow for where and when I refuel the TF. From what I can see its either on or off. Can't set it off as I'll have TF's running outta fuel all over the place, and on fully fuels everything and loads at what I consider the wrong place. Almost all fuel loading for me occurs closest to the source. IOW when a convoy leaves Singers it'll only refuel when it gets back. Now when it comes to warships in combat TF's all bets are off.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

Nice little mission for some of those little CMs that carry just a handful of mines.

Are you aware that there's one class of these that'll give you 'free' mines? It's the ones that'll convert from PB's to this that and the other. They're the 2100 ton guys that carry 20 mines each. The conversion process will take about 36 days, and you'll notice the CMc's will come back loaded with mines. Just don't convert them to ACM as they won't convert to anything else after that.

The whole thing was thought to be a bug at first, but that's not the case. Don't recall why it was instituted, but there it is.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
ITAKLinus
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Italy

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ITAKLinus »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
If you know where his subs are, but cannot drive them off, try laying mines in that hex even if its ocean and not a base. They may hit and freak him out of where you are placing mines.


Been there, done that.

It's amazing and really confusing for the allied player. I remember I had a mail from my previous enemy saying the game was bugged and many other complaints because a TK exploded in the middle of the ocean between SDiego and PH.

He didn't know I had spotted his sea lane and instead of being raped by ASW patrolling it, I placed a random line of mines.


Against subs it's very effective as well, especially in forced passages (I think about the shallow water hex between Hokkaido and Sakhalin for example).
Subs are somehow very prone to hitting mines and once they hit, they are usually forced to go surfaced. A random TF with a couple of DD can send them to God quite easily.
Kudos! All of my mid-ocean mining efforts have so far missed.

If I am not wrong (and I could be), mines decay in middle ocean is about 33% per-day. It means that you have roughly two days of effective minefield.
If you put a string of say 3 hexes mined (I operate mine layer SS together ALWAYS), you have a strong likelihood of hitting a cargo you know it will pass from there.

I used to deploy mines also as a way to finish crippled ships or escaping TFs in the first days of the war.


In my current PBEM I have been much less lucky and up to now I have actually crashed several ships on my own mines in front of Calcutta. Not wonderful when you see 2 xAP full of troops that struck your own mines.


They actually survived to tell the tale, thoguh. One DD, instead, sank immediately. I wanted at least to get the points for the kill since I have killed my own DD ahahahah
Francesco
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

If I am not wrong (and I could be), mines decay in middle ocean is about 33% per-day.

This doesn't mean the mines will be gone in three days. It simply states the the hex will lose 33% of what's left there each day. So 100=~67 on day two. 67=~55 on day three. 55=~35 on day four. Etc.

Yes, a big loss, but there's still something in the hex.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

They're the 2100 ton guys that carry 20 mines each.

Wrong again. That's what I get for going from memory. They have an endurance of 2100 and are 215 tons.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
ITAKLinus
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Location: Italy

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ITAKLinus »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
If I am not wrong (and I could be), mines decay in middle ocean is about 33% per-day.

This doesn't mean the mines will be gone in three days. It simply states the the hex will lose 33% of what's left there each day. So 100=~67 on day two. 67=~55 on day three. 55=~35 on day four. Etc.

Yes, a big loss, but there's still something in the hex.

Man I know it's a compounded calculation, still I am talking about effective minefield. And two days it's already rather optimistic talking about sub layed minefields

I find it also economically unsustainable since you don't have plenty of mines, so you can do that just to conufse enemy's mind
Francesco
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

ORIGINAL: rustysi
If I am not wrong (and I could be), mines decay in middle ocean is about 33% per-day.

This doesn't mean the mines will be gone in three days. It simply states the the hex will lose 33% of what's left there each day. So 100=~67 on day two. 67=~55 on day three. 55=~35 on day four. Etc.

Yes, a big loss, but there's still something in the hex.

Man I know it's a compounded calculation, still I am talking about effective minefield. And two days it's already rather optimistic talking about sub layed minefields

I find it also economically unsustainable since you don't have plenty of mines, so you can do that just to conufse enemy's mind

Well I like to use those 'free' mines I talked about in the other post I made. Five of those little puppies will drop 100 eggs. Not saying I've experienced much success with such an action, but it'll be one more thing for my opponent to think about. In addition to one more way to do some possible damage.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Hey guys, didn't forget about ya. Been busy and turning around turns instead of posting here. I just sent back the 21 Sep turn. Many of the turns have been relatively quiet but a lot is happening in the background. I'll get caught up in the next day or two.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Ok, work is over for the weekend and Ted has the turn. Time to catch up a bit...

14 Sep 43

Another of those quiet days. The I-23 put a torpedo into an xAK off San Francisco. Still unescorted convoys being found.

Most of the Allied 4 & 2E bombers hit Kavieng with a smattering hitting Hollandia, Weak and Talasea. About 200 sorties in all. I've been pulling out the important units (by air) from Rabaul, Gasmata and Kavieng because those bases are doomed and there isn't enough infantry to matter.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements:

502 Ku K-1, 27 Val, 13 Air Flotilla, training Kamikazes
Temp Flight Chutai, 12 Nate, 51 AD, training fighter pilots
7, 8 & 9 Tpt Chutai, 9 various transports each, 2 Air Division, training transport pilots
E W-29, convoy escort
RO-39, will be based out of Truk
CHa-66, ASW
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

15 Sep 43

Sub War

The RO-60 sank two LSTs at Manus hauling supplies.

The I-7 put two torpedoes into the BB Colorado, heavily damaging her, 3 hexes west of Vava'u. She was a part of the CVE TF that got trashed in early August, taking a torpedo and 3 bombs. I suspect she made Vava'u, but I'm keeping subs in the area to try and put her down for good. The I-7 took a depth charge in return. Her damage is 29-26(8)-8(7)-0. She's headed to Truk for temporary repairs.

5 Fleet
4 Fleet


Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

More bombing of the Japanese bases of Kavieng, Hollandia and Talasea, I suspect in preparation for eventual Allied invasions.

SRA
Burma
China


Nothing to report.

Other Stuff

I bought the 9 Division from Manchuoko to bolster the Chungking assault force.

I got confirmation that the DD Russell sank on 7/12/43 by KB near Buka. She was an escort for an APA/AKA TF that was trashed that day.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

16 Sep 43

Sub War

I had a TF of 5x Std-C tankers that was shipping fuel from Truk to Kwajalein. The Sealion found them and put two torpedoes into one of the full TKs, sinking her just off Kwajalein.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

A few days ago, a slice of the 3 Marine Raider Battalion had dropped on Canton Island. I'd been waiting for reinforcement and then an attack, but neither materialized. I decided to attack them with my small SNLF (24 squad type). The attack will go in tomorrow.

SE Fleet

With the loss of Manus, I want to slow down the inevitable build up of that base, specifically the airfield. Eventually, heavy bombers will be based there to go after Truk. While I have confidence that I can cause serious bomber losses to him there, eventually, the enemy bombers will negate Truk. I want to prolong that eventuality as long as possible.

I saw a fleet at Manus but was unsure of what it was. I think it's the LST TF that RO-60 hit yesterday, but could be wrong. My plan was to send in 4 DDs to clear out the TF. They were set on bombardment, just in case the enemy fleet left. Then, another bombardment TF of Mutsu, Nagato and 3 DDs would trash the base. I had heard that if more than one TF was raiding a hex, the lower numbered TF would hit first. I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it is not true. The DD TF was lower numbered but the BBs hit first. Note that the BBs were 7 hexes away (their 1 phase range) and the DDs were 9 hexes away (their 1 phase range). Anyway, the BBs found the enemy TF of 9 LSTs escorted by 3 DEs. All of the LSTs and a DE were sunk while the other two DEs were moderately damaged. The Mutsu took a single 3" shell. [:D]

Then, the DD TF bombarded followed by the BB TF. There was a little more damage caused than could be repaired. I consider that a success. In addition, about a dozen planes were damaged, including Corsairs, P-47s and Beauforts.

Later in the day, I heard sinking sounds. No clue what it was but probably an enemy xAK.

After my fun, an Allied TF of 6 CA and 4 CL bombarded Kavieng causing lots of damage to the airfield and port. I consider that a success too, because Kavieng will fall soon and the Allies will have to repair it.

About 110x 2E sorties hit all the usual suspect Japanese bases. He rested his 4E bombers today.

SRA
Burma
China


Nothing to report.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements:
73 Sentai (36 fighters), 51 Air Division, training fighter pilots
RO-44, will head to Truk

The Ki-43-IV R&D advanced to 1/45 (will become operational 2/44).
The B6N2a R&D advanced to 4/44 (will become operational 12/43).
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

17 Sep 43

Sub War

I had a line of RO subs south of Manus to intercept convoys headed to Manus. The RO-42, part of that line, was caught by an ASW TF and hit with a depth charge. She's now headed to Truk for repairs: 27-34(20)-1-0.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

The SNLF attacked the 3 Marine Raider Battalion slice at Canton Island, easily destroying it. 28 raider infantry steps: *poof* [:D] I think he invaded there hoping I didn't have any infantry there so he could destroy the support troops and take the place back.

SE Fleet

The 1 US Marine Division attacked and destroyed the remnants of the defenders of Kavieng: III/19 Naval Guard, 30 Engineer Regiment, 56 JNAF AF Unit. In addition, he has a trashed airfield and port.

The usual 2E bombing again. Also, he rested his 4E bombers for another day.

SRA
Burma
China


Nothing to report.

Other Stuff

Reinforcement: I-41, will base out of Kwajalein (for now). That base is rapidly becoming expendable.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

14 Sep 43
27 Val, 13 Air Flotilla, training Kamikazes

A bit skeptical, no? Not too early to start training these guys?[:D]
The RO-60 sank two LSTs at Manus hauling supplies.

The I-7 put two torpedoes into the BB Colorado

Nicely done. Who said the Japanese subs were useless after... whenever.[:'(]
I saw a fleet at Manus but was unsure of what it was. I think it's the LST TF that RO-60 hit yesterday, but could be wrong. My plan was to send in 4 DDs to clear out the TF. They were set on bombardment, just in case the enemy fleet left. Then, another bombardment TF of Mutsu, Nagato and 3 DDs would trash the base. I had heard that if more than one TF was raiding a hex, the lower numbered TF would hit first. I can tell you with 100% accuracy that it is not true. The DD TF was lower numbered but the BBs hit first. Note that the BBs were 7 hexes away (their 1 phase range) and the DDs were 9 hexes away (their 1 phase range). Anyway, the BBs found the enemy TF of 9 LSTs escorted by 3 DEs. All of the LSTs and a DE were sunk while the other two DEs were moderately damaged. The Mutsu took a single 3" shell.

That's it, keep punchin'.[:)]
Also, he rested his 4E bombers for another day.

I sense a maximum effort day approaching.[X(]


Thanks for catchin' us up!!![&o]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
14 Sep 43
27 Val, 13 Air Flotilla, training Kamikazes

A bit skeptical, no? Not too early to start training these guys?[:D]

Nah. I start my Kamikaze training program on December 8, 1941. [8D]
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Me too, CB. I did a quick count. I have about 1000 IJA and 300 IJN "inductees" so far. Lots more to go. My training regimen for them is 40 Exp and 60 LNav. What's yours, CB?

Just sent the 26 Sep turn back, so I'm still behind. My subs got another lick in, that you'll soon learn about. [:D]

Gotta hit the road for a couple hours. Then I'll work on the AAR if I don't have a turn in the inbox.

Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”