Some questions for JFBs
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Some questions for JFBs
If you have those production factories set to Yes on "Upgrade" in the industry screen, then on 4/2/1944 they will upgrade to the D4Y2.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to advance your D4Y1 production factories to the D4Y3 until at least 4/1/1944 when the D4Y2 becomes available unless you have Realistic R&D set to Off (in which case you can change your D4Y1 production factories, if fully repaired, back to R&D). But any R&D factories that you set for the D4Y3 could of course be allowed to enter production whenever it arrives.
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to advance your D4Y1 production factories to the D4Y3 until at least 4/1/1944 when the D4Y2 becomes available unless you have Realistic R&D set to Off (in which case you can change your D4Y1 production factories, if fully repaired, back to R&D). But any R&D factories that you set for the D4Y3 could of course be allowed to enter production whenever it arrives.
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.
-
Uncivil Engineer
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.
Wow! How many factories do you have researching?
RE: Some questions for JFBs
3 or 4. I think 4.
- Jorge_Stanbury
- Posts: 4345
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
- Location: Montreal
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
The general consensus is that the IJA early war single-engine bombers are all rubbish. Of the lot, the Ann is the best for combat usage. The meta with Japan is to convert the frontline/ASW squadrons to 2E airframes and keep a cadre of squadrons flying the single-engine bombers for training purposes. You can use the single-engine planes for ASW, but it tends to be the 250kg bombs (found on most IJA 2E bombers) that kill or seriously wound subs.
1E bombers are good when flown from small (level 2&3) forward bases, they work well during early offensives, when air support and supply are limited in the forward areas.
I also used them in China, to train "green" pilots since bombing there has lower risk due to limited AA and air threats
RE: Some questions for JFBs
I'm playing Scenario 1, so the Tojo is taking some engines, which to date I've under-produced as I didn't previously contemplate building so many Helen's.
Good, so in this case the Helen is a no brainer.
The Lily line should not be neglected however - the Lily dive bomber is a massive boon to the IJN!
I neglect this aircraft habitually, but that's me. I see its small light bomb-load to be the problem. I find that using my twin engine bombers trained in lownav to be useful. Understand losses will be high, but its the results that I'm finding that make it worth it. Don't think two small bombs would give me the same bang for the buck. YMMV.
I stay Sally, but later the Helen get MAD.
No personal experience with it, but from what I've read here MAD is not much help. In addition to that its only the Helen-1a that gets the MAD, and the Sally is a better plane than that one. There are many other ASW aircraft that will do a much better gob.
Just my thoughts....
I always listen to and respect Pax's thoughts. He'e one of the best here.
Judy 1-C and 2-C: Granted they are CV capable,
I like to have some around to place on my CV's. Good range, not as limited by weather as float planes, fast, and can be added in small numbers as an additional air-group over and above the CV's limits (10%?). Check those limits to be sure.
Use of 1-engine bombers for ASW, their 1 bomb load (Ida, Ann, Mary, Sonia) and short range, gives those planes something to do,
You seem to be passed the early game, but in the future keep in mind that these planes can be very useful in that early game. They'll operate well from small forward airbases. After that I tend to use them in training.
Betty 2-L: Same range as Mavis 5 and Mavis 4-L, but only 57% of the load capacity.
Don't get too hung up on % load capacity. When transporting supply its one point supply per 2000 points of load capacity (one if less than 2000). For the most part for Japan that means one supply point per plane.
I changed the R&D to Mavis back on Dec 7. Ditto Hickory.
I don't R&D such aircraft, I let them come naturally. Too much other need, too few R&D slots. I know it doesn't seem like that, but trust me.
One that note I'll start another post.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Armor, as per my understanding, only increases survivability of your pilot if plane is shot down
News to me, not sure about that one.
To boost the R&D for the Judy, i had to produce more than 500 Aichi Ha-60 to get the engine bonus,
I wouldn't produce that many Ha-60, I find about half to be sufficient. You can still get the first Judy early '43. I got it in Jan. '43, using four R&D sites from the beginning of the game.
I dont produce Ki-48 Lily : it has a too light bomb load
Same here.
other light bombers are only good for training duty
Yes, but see above.
Ki-57 Topsy, using the Ha-5 engine pool available at the start of the campaign
Don't miss this, you can get a bunch of Topsy-I's with out building engines. Just drain what's already in the pool.
Besides using one engine less than the Irving, the Judy C's have fantastic range with droptanks, but the main attraction of them is to enable you to turn the IJN land-based recon squadrons into land or carrier based long-range recon/naval search platforms. Japan has a lot of ocean to seach and too few patrol planes to do it.
I still like the Irving. Isn't the Judy C-1 still an SR3 aircraft? At any rate use of drop-tanks still has some drawbacks. One thing for sure, Japan does in fact have a lot of ocean to search and needs aircraft like these.
The general consensus is that the IJA early war single-engine bombers are all rubbish.
Meh, to a degree. Again see above.
keep a cadre of squadrons flying the single-engine bombers for training purposes.
Yes, with one small caveat. Understand that these pilots will lose a small amount of experience when shifting to twin engine aircraft. Its really not much, but I just wanted you to know in case you were unaware.
Yes, I realize you can "unlock" a squadron in a restricted command by flying it onto a carrier; but in the spirit of paying PP's to reassign restricted LCU's, shouldn't you also be required to pay PP's to "unlock" a restricted squadron. I'm playing against the AI so I can do whatever the hell I want and the AI doesn't object; I'm thinking in terms of a PBEM game.
I pay the PP's, and would expect the same to be done in a PBEM. There are those that are permanently restricted though, and you can do the same thing with these. In that case I would expect the player to accept the responsibility to keep track of and not move the unit out of the restricted area. I know its a pain, but that's just me.
Can you upgrade a squadron directly to Judy 3 from Judy 1 without going through Judy 2? The SR 3 on the first 2 Judy's is the only reason to accelerate the Judy 3, as the other parameters are identical (unless I missed something).
A lot of folks here object to skipping when it comes to R&D. I'd check with my opponent before I'd do so. Yes, you did miss something WRT the Judy-3, its the first one that will carry an 800kg bomb. Boom, big boom.[:D]
Can I assume that the upgrade to Judy 2 in Apr 44 is "free", meaning the factories come online fully repaired?
Not 100% sure what your point is here, but if you advance the R&D within the same line all factories will begin research on the next aircraft in line 100% repaired and ready to go. This will advance the 'available' date for said aircraft and you'll get it before April '44.
Judy 3 to reduce SR from 3 to 1.
Yes, SR3 aircraft can be difficult to keep in the fight, but remember when used as a CV plane these actions tend to be short and furious. With that in mind the SR rating of a CV plane is somewhat less of a consideration. Doesn't mean you should ignore it though. Just sayin'.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.
Wow! How many factories do you have researching?
Like Lokasenna I too had four. Got mine Jan. '43. So with some possible differences in approach and die rolls you can see it may vary. I didn't have any engine bonus though so I don't know if that's a factor here.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Some questions for JFBs
1E bombers are good when flown from small (level 2&3) forward bases, they work well during early offensives, when air support and supply are limited in the forward areas.


It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: ElvisDaKing
Armor, as per my understanding, only increases survivability of your pilot if plane is shot down : it does not make plane more resistant to damage , for which you have to consider the Durability of the plane
Armor does make an airframe tougher and harder to shoot down in addition to increasing pilot survivability. I think they lump things like self-sealing tanks into armor, but the pilot not getting shot in the back with a 50cal bullet will also mean the plane is more likely to stay int he air. [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
-
mind_messing
- Posts: 3394
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Herein lies the beauty of playing as Japan, ask five JFB's a question and they'll give you fifteen different answers.
The Lily IIb/c is a dive bomber, so you'd train NavB.
I get that only having two 100kg bombs is a downside, but it's a dive bomber...for the IJA. What else is there for the IJA bomber force to do in the late-game when the Allied flak stacks force all bombers above 18k?
The rest of the IJA airplanes need to try LowNav or regular NavB attacks, while the Lily IIb/c's get to hurtle down from 15000ft. Amusingly enough, they've the best chance of getting through Allied flak, given that they've the highest durability and only armoured IJ dive bombers. I'll take two 100kg holes in a CV than any number of 800kg misses.
I think you shouldn't neglect this plane so much
It gives you the best anti-shipping platform for the IJA long before the Peggy T - that in itself is massive: it's effectively doubling the Japanese ability to mount land-based anti-shipping strikes.
Both Judy recons are SR 2. The Judy can go 21 hexes on droptanks, the Irving 22. That's one more hex for twice the production cost.
The Judy recon's are better value for money, and as a discount you can slap them on your CV's.
I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?
Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.
I neglect this aircraft habitually, but that's me. I see its small light bomb-load to be the problem. I find that using my twin engine bombers trained in lownav to be useful. Understand losses will be high, but its the results that I'm finding that make it worth it. Don't think two small bombs would give me the same bang for the buck. YMMV.
The Lily IIb/c is a dive bomber, so you'd train NavB.
I get that only having two 100kg bombs is a downside, but it's a dive bomber...for the IJA. What else is there for the IJA bomber force to do in the late-game when the Allied flak stacks force all bombers above 18k?
The rest of the IJA airplanes need to try LowNav or regular NavB attacks, while the Lily IIb/c's get to hurtle down from 15000ft. Amusingly enough, they've the best chance of getting through Allied flak, given that they've the highest durability and only armoured IJ dive bombers. I'll take two 100kg holes in a CV than any number of 800kg misses.
I think you shouldn't neglect this plane so much
I still like the Irving. Isn't the Judy C-1 still an SR3 aircraft? At any rate use of drop-tanks still has some drawbacks. One thing for sure, Japan does in fact have a lot of ocean to search and needs aircraft like these.
Both Judy recons are SR 2. The Judy can go 21 hexes on droptanks, the Irving 22. That's one more hex for twice the production cost.
The Judy recon's are better value for money, and as a discount you can slap them on your CV's.
Yes, with one small caveat. Understand that these pilots will lose a small amount of experience when shifting to twin engine aircraft. Its really not much, but I just wanted you to know in case you were unaware.
I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?
Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: rustysi
ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I typically have the D4Y1 arriving in October 1942.
Wow! How many factories do you have researching?
Like Lokasenna I too had four. Got mine Jan. '43. So with some possible differences in approach and die rolls you can see it may vary. I didn't have any engine bonus though so I don't know if that's a factor here.
I always have engine bonus.
I'm OK with producing 500 of the models that use it, or if not... it's just HI. The engine begins producing much earlier than the plane R&D factories are even fully repaired.
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?
Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.
It is a thing, actually.
Train up some pilots using TBs and then drop them into Netties.
-
Uncivil Engineer
- Posts: 1293
- Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 pm
- Location: Florida, USA
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Herein lies the beauty of playing as Japan, ask five JFB's a question and they'll give you fifteen different answers.
+1
-
mind_messing
- Posts: 3394
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am
RE: Some questions for JFBs
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
I was under the assumption that the different airframe type didn't apply to the bomber category (light, medium, level, heavy bombers). Do you have a source for that?
Not that I doubt the sincerity of what you're saying, but there's an abundance of myths and inaccuracies pedalled around the forum that they become gospel.
It is a thing, actually.
Train up some pilots using TBs and then drop them into Netties.
No, I know that moving pilots across airframes caused an EXP hit, but I was under the impression that light, med and heavy bombers were lumped into the same category and so didn't incur the EXP hit. That's what I was wanting the verification for.
TB pilots are different as the game treats them as thier own catagory, along with DB.
A better way to phrase it would be would a IJA pilot trained on an Ida incur an EXP hit moving to a Helen?
- Jorge_Stanbury
- Posts: 4345
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
- Location: Montreal
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Alfred wrote a great explanation on the topic of training pilots; in case you have the time to search it
from memory:
- EXP loses only when the pilot's experience is high; moving 40s exp trainees won't hurt
- Light, med, hvy bombers are all the same "bombers" for the purpose of exp so moving from Ida to Helen is OK
- Moving from float plane to DB will incur penalty
from memory:
- EXP loses only when the pilot's experience is high; moving 40s exp trainees won't hurt
- Light, med, hvy bombers are all the same "bombers" for the purpose of exp so moving from Ida to Helen is OK
- Moving from float plane to DB will incur penalty
- Jorge_Stanbury
- Posts: 4345
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm
- Location: Montreal
RE: Some questions for JFBs
From Alfred:
tm.asp?m=3706882&mpage=1&key=pilot�
1. Pilot "type" has no impact on game play. Pilot performance is completely dependent on pilot stats.
2. The only thing which is slightly worth noting of pilot "type" is that moving a pilot from one type of aircraft classification to another is that pilot experience, but not the skills, will suffer a slight drop. The drop is usually only about 3-4 percentage basis points.
3. There are only 5 ingame pilot pools visible to the player. You manually select veteran pilots from these pools, so whatever you see from Tracker is irrelevant.
The 5 pools are:
fighter, bomber, patrol, transport, recon
moving pilots from pool "x" to pool "y" will incur a small exp loss
moving between TB, Level light, med, hvy, DB, etc won't because they are all bomber pilots
From Koniu (same link):
EXP needs to be 50 or higher (no penalty if below 50)
EXP loss only if you manually select the pilot, using transfer "x" pilots button won't trigger the penalty
tm.asp?m=3706882&mpage=1&key=pilot�
1. Pilot "type" has no impact on game play. Pilot performance is completely dependent on pilot stats.
2. The only thing which is slightly worth noting of pilot "type" is that moving a pilot from one type of aircraft classification to another is that pilot experience, but not the skills, will suffer a slight drop. The drop is usually only about 3-4 percentage basis points.
3. There are only 5 ingame pilot pools visible to the player. You manually select veteran pilots from these pools, so whatever you see from Tracker is irrelevant.
The 5 pools are:
fighter, bomber, patrol, transport, recon
moving pilots from pool "x" to pool "y" will incur a small exp loss
moving between TB, Level light, med, hvy, DB, etc won't because they are all bomber pilots
From Koniu (same link):
EXP needs to be 50 or higher (no penalty if below 50)
EXP loss only if you manually select the pilot, using transfer "x" pilots button won't trigger the penalty
-
mind_messing
- Posts: 3394
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Cheers Jorge, that was exactly what I was meaning.
RE: Some questions for JFBs
This is a better thread on the subject of pilot transfers.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=2&key=experience�
Alfred
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3847055&mpage=2&key=experience�
Alfred
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Yes, you did miss something WRT the Judy-3, its the first one that will carry an 800kg bomb.
This is wrong. I checked last night and its only the Judy 4 that will carry the 800kg.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: Some questions for JFBs
Isn't the Judy C-1 still an SR3 aircraft?
The answer to this is, no. Its an SR2.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb



