Originally posted by TIMJOT
When you say dived on do you mean by divers or ROV's. I assumed they must have went down in pretty deep water. Curious how the UK still holds jurisdiction. If in Malaya waters I would think they would hold juridiction. If in international waters are they not in therory fall under international salvagers laws?
POW and Repulse are not that deep, POW is upside down and Repulse is on her side at about 60 meters (180 feet or thereabouts for us metric system challanged Americans) and both can be dived on with special air mixtures.
I am not a diver but I think 120 feet is as far as a recreational diving can go without the special equipment.
Found some Repulse images here
http://www.seimoa.com/Repulse_Article.htm
The jurisdiction issue is interesting, as best as I can remember all USN war wrecks are still the property of the USN (AKA US Government) for eternity by international treaty as "War Graves" The same applies to the cemeteries in France and Belgium. I assume that UK has something similar worked out.