Is Strategic Command good?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
User avatar
Knavery2112
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:12 pm

Is Strategic Command good?

Post by Knavery2112 »

I read some good things about this. I'm wondering if this would be a good beginner game to TOAW...
Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura
User avatar
NefariousKoel
Posts: 1741
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:48 am
Location: Murderous Missouri Scum

Post by NefariousKoel »

Not bad.
It's on a larger scale than most TOAW scenarios but it's much more simplistic. Good beginner wargame. Good for some laid back gaming too.
Kung Karl
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:54 pm

Post by Kung Karl »

SC is a realy easy wargame that is not so advanced BUT it plays like WW2 and is extremly fun and addictive. Like he said, it is good for som laid back gaming. It is agood game for beginners to hex-based games but it can be played by anyone from novice to hardcore. Just download an interface mod from http://ww2n.com/schq/gfx/face.htm to make it look more like a wargame.
I recommed the mod SC: elite edition.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

The SC Strategy Guide is a must download along with the game.

SC shines best when you don't get upset that your opponent pulled a fast one on you. The game has numerous "Gambits" that the hardcore have uncovered during repeated playings of the game.

This has generated a handfull of "houserules" to make it so people will refrain from using them.

Personally, I am an old Advanced Third Reich grognard, and we never had houserules to prevent brutal strategies.
I have also never heard of a houserule preventing 3 move checkmate either.

SC is a game you can load up and start playing with no need to even read the manual. Of course your first game will likely make you look like an unimaginative buffoon too hehe (mine did).
I don't suggest the not read the manual option if you are playing any of the crowd from the SC forum at Battlefront.
Unless you actually enjoy being beaten up hehe.

SC is beer and pretzels all the way, the Panzer General of grand strategy gaming.

The game has it's share of patches, I strongly suggest that you play the game with the attitude it is a stable design, but prone to it's share of open ended what if peculiarities once you gain skill in playing.
You won't likely figure out the Rome Gambit on your first game eh.

Playing the right Campaign also helps. Playing nothing but the start of the war in 39 will mean you don't experience the feel of Barbarossa often. And odds are you won't see many Overlords either.

SC is a wargamers wargame. It isn't mired in eye candy. It is simple to learn and a challenge between skilled players.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Fredflak
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:20 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by Fredflak »

I played the demo. It's good. I tried playing it without really reading the rules. France was a tough nut to crack, wasnt sure the best ways to inflict casualties.

Been thinking about buying it, but havent yet.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Playing the SC demo would have to be like going to the bar and seeing all the gals you want to take home.

You buy em a drink have a couple of dances, then she leaves suddenly and it's closing time.

Similar thing with the SC demo I found, just gets you wound up then ends hehe.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Fredflak
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:20 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by Fredflak »

Well I wasnt that impressed with it. Probably because I only tried it very quickly, and didnt read the rules.

But the thing I didnt like that much is how combat is done. Didn't like how the units took factor losses. Seemed to take too much forces to take out a unit, and because of that my attack dragged slowly. I kinda approached it with Third Reich in mind.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Third Reich it most certainly isn't of course.

But it requires a player be as good at their game as TR did.

The game not allowing stacking of any sort was a major surprise to me. I am not overly fond of that, but it is just a design element to master really.

The game has its own dynamics, you have to know when to attack and with what and how often. You have to know where to place air units and how to use naval forces.

The player has to know when to rebuild and when to disband. You need to know how much effort is needed on new units and when research is better.

Playing with HQs requires some thought. A person ignoring HQs gets stomped basically.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Fredflak
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:20 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post by Fredflak »

Yeah, i'm gonna try it again tonight probably. And this time i'll read the manual and see howcombat really works.

I liked how there seems to be very little limitations on the things you can do. I like to play historical wargames, but its always fun when a game doesn't force you to play like they did in history.

Like when I play Third Reich , even tho a lot of things keep players from breaking history. I love to put my starting russian fleets up north and go for a soviet invasion of Sweden and sometimes take Norway right after if the Axis hasnt yet. Most poeple ignore Russia at the start of pretty much every strategic wargames. Expecting it to mostly concentrate on getting its troops up for defense.
User avatar
NefariousKoel
Posts: 1741
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:48 am
Location: Murderous Missouri Scum

Post by NefariousKoel »

I agree about the lack of stacking Les. In conjunction with traditional wargame ratios needed in an attack - 3 to 1 or better is just fine, but when you can't stack??? And when one hex is around 300 miles or so??? It makes the hex play a bit screwy. That's the only hang-up I had with it.

Maybe it's just my old habits....:confused:
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Old habits sums it up perfectly actually.

Most wargamers are so used to certain design elements, that they can be a burden to break away from.

The omission of stacking in SC ranks right up there with the RTS mode of a lot of wargames.

No stacking wasn't a game killer in my opinion, just very different to get used to. But it's easy to master once you look at it from the right angle.

I have not and will likely never enjoy the RTS mode though.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
Knavery2112
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by Knavery2112 »

I ordered SC. I think it would be a good beginning hex game. I also bought Korsun Pocket and TOAW: Cow, but it may take some time to get into those. Just for fun however, I loaded up a first person shooter tonight to kill some Nazis. I needed the eye candy and brainless fun for a change. Anyone play RtCW?
Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”