How do you purchase SPWaW?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
User avatar
Knavery2112
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:12 pm

How do you purchase SPWaW?

Post by Knavery2112 »

I can't find a link anywhere on it...
Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

SPWaW is free! I don't think you can purchase it, only download it. :)

It comes bundled with the MC's, MegaCampaign Watchtower is available for purchase, IIRC.

OTOH, there are plenty of people here who can help you with a CD copy if your bandwidth is limited. Les has a good offer... ;)
Image
Got StuG?
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

In spite of the game's age (it is a few years old now), you can still actually buy some of the original retail versions of Steel Panthers interestingly enough.

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/49pres.htm

Although Steel Panthers III Brigade Combat is the only version that doesn't have some sort of free downloadable option.

But as was mentioned, yep, I routinely provide access to all that is the best of Steel Panthers for a lousy 5 bucks Canadian when paid in advance (money order is the means I employ).

Some of us just don't own a cd burner or have access to a high speed connection.

This is my standard offering if you feel inclined or need assistance.

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/showthre ... eadid=7276
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

Knavery: SPWAW is free....Go to DOWLOADS top of this page, click, at TRUE UPDATES, last box bottom row, click on same, in Downloads, 1st one SPWAW ver 7.1. If you have a fast connection, if not, repost. Welcome to the fold.


:) :cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Hmm not having had to actually download it recently, I have not ended up in the download zone recently.

I think others will agree Matrix Games has finally made the download process simple and easy.

The previous set up was problematic annoying and often made you go through 3 or more pages to actually get the ball rolling.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

Les: Yeah big improvement ....only have to go through 2 pages now.:rolleyes:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Well granted Chief a person actually has to hit the "Downloads" link at the top of the page, and granted a person actually has to then go into the Steel Panthers page before they get to the link.

But those two pages don't count in my counting. I don't expect to find the Steel Panthers download page outside of its own page.

What I was referring to, was when you got to the Steel Panthers page where they had the link. It sent you to one page, then another page, then another page just so you could find a link that was no where near Matrix Games in the first place, it was at Games Domain.

And that was complicated by the fact the links rarely functioned for a while (something in the process had gone astray).

Now when you click on the link it begins downloading right then and there.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

Aye Les, sees what you mean, just a point of where you start counting. Yes I remember that go around that your refering to.
I did like the system MATRIX had where you went to Home page, clicked on version or patch and away it went. Now that was a bit of allright, but you didn't have all the ads and they do help pay the bills.

resp. Chief:cool:
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Hope you have broadband...or your type of person you doesnt need the phone for 4 days....
User avatar
Knavery2112
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by Knavery2112 »

Of course I have cable. It's probably not a very popular commodity with hex grognards however. Military wargames aren't exactly processor intensive that would cause lag over a 56k connection.:)
Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura
User avatar
chief
Posts: 1617
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haines City FL, USA

Post by chief »

Knavery after you download and install 7.1 go back to same page and a little further down (last item) get patch for 7.1. After that check and see if the OOBs in THE MAIN FOLDER are dated 4/07/02. Ignore the txt OOB files.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Unless he is ultra picky I would not be to obsessed with getting in an absolute fuss over last and best OOBs although there was an OOB file that represented the latest fixes a while back.

Currently the game is using the 8.0 OOBs here in the team developing the latest MC, its just a matter of a short wait, and the new OOBs will hit the scene for everyone.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

Post by Twotribes »

I have given up trying to download it. I have cable and the connection still takes 10 plus hours. And then after all that time, it wont work.

Maybe when I am in more of a quandry for something to do I will let Les send me a disk.

Humm, can it be moved whole cloth from one machine to another? Or does it have hidden files in different directories that will prevent that. The down side to buying a new computer (
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Twotribes
Humm, can it be moved whole cloth from one machine to another? Or does it have hidden files in different directories that will prevent that. The down side to buying a new computer (


No problem with that. Just cut and paste the whole folder and it will work without any problems whatsoever. At least with XP. :)
Image
Got StuG?
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Two Tribes, with cable the standard SPWaW file download is about a 90 minute process.
If it takes longer than that by a substantial margin, my advice is to check out your connection and ensure it is actually giving you bonafide cable download speeds, because with cable you should NOT be taking 10 hours period.

If my service was giving me that level of performance, I would be contacting my service and requirng an explanation at the very least.

Regarding the files, what most might not realise, is Steel Panthers as a game is a full file dump when it is installed.
So if you have it in a folder on the computer, you have the whole thing on the computer. When moving the folder from point A to point B, all that is lost is some Windows qualities like desktop icons and start menu bar arrangements.

The files we behave exactly as they should regardless, but you would have to rebuild any desktop shortcuts and start menu bar conveniences.

The one thing that has plagued Steel Panthers, is it can get fussy about further installs if the user is not familiar with the process. The most notable being the installation of Mega Campaigns. The game has a well established reputation for insistence on going exactly where it wants and not listening to re directs during installation.

All that said, for the cost of 5 bucks I offer on cd the convenience of the whole Steel Panthers file inventory (no I don't offer free copies of Mega Campaigns, that is obvious but I had to mention it).
What is cool, is I don't just send SPWaW, I send all the other versions of the game as well. Makes a heck of a cd.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”