Dear Sir,
ORIGINAL: Joe D.
Weren't you required to read Orwell's "1984" in school?
I was.
I am sorry, I still don't really get you. We didn't go to the same school, nor did we learn this trade in the same language. Pardon my inexperience and ineptitude, for I am a non-native speaker dealing with a foreign topic.
If by this remark you meant, seemingly in a rather unpleasant way I might say, that my argument regarding torpedoes doesn't make sense, I'll be glad to be enlightened [&:]
Even if them submariners had had a gun that could do the trick (which wasn't the case for most fleet subs in 1941, as pointed out by another contributor), they wouldn't have used it as long as they trusted their torpedoes to do what they were made for. You can't expect a submariner to revert to a gun if he doesn't know his torpedoes are faulty in the first place, can you...? [&:]
There were near to no subs operating from PH in December. Submarines use diesel in relatively small quantities that is easily replaced. Unreliable torpedoes are the main cause explaining the US subs lack of efficiency in the first half of 1942, which means that the few patrols that *might* not have taken place in case of a highly hypothetical complete shortage of Diesel fuel aboard ships at PH and ashore wouldn't have impacted the conflict in any meaningful way.
And there were more subs at other US bases that would soon be operating out of Pearl.
I do not dispute that, and you'll be happy to see that I just provided the numbers in my previous post, together with my sources. But as underlined by the data, strangulation of Japan certainly has happened - just not from the Pearl Harbor submarine force in the first half of 1942, which is the whole point of this debate, isn't it...?
Anyway, if you are not familiar with some of the words, the concepts, the acronyms I pick, or the history I (mis)quote, which might lead to some further mutual misundestanding, please feel free to ask, I'll be happy and honored to be of assistance.