Notre Dame
Moderator: maddog986
RE: Notre Dame
As I see it Billionares seem to be generous offering of their money to rebuild, they could have not offered anything at all. Everyone has the tendency to greed not just the rich. Really need to break the dangerous movement to vilify people who have money. Besides you don't have any idea what other things(charity) they do. So you are judging them.
Everyone's greed is a contributor to the worlds trouble. I see multiple reasons for the route of the worlds ills. Power grabbing, Killing, Stealing peoples property, breakdown of the family unit. And on and on.
Everyone's greed is a contributor to the worlds trouble. I see multiple reasons for the route of the worlds ills. Power grabbing, Killing, Stealing peoples property, breakdown of the family unit. And on and on.
RE: Notre Dame
Hate seeing history destroyed.
Anyone know if Quasi got out?
Anyone know if Quasi got out?
RE: Notre Dame
Paddies Wigwam it used to be called.
Before it was built one man wanted a proper looking cathedral and actually starting building it before they came up with this!
I will say though inside is rather lovely.
Funny, in starch contrast the C of E cathedral in Liverpool is a foreboding gothic design.
Both of them very, very new compared to the normal age of cathedrals in UK. Some going back to 12th and 13th centuries. Exeter and York cathedrals are my favourite s I've been too. With their tomes containing Knights and other historical figures centuries old!
Before it was built one man wanted a proper looking cathedral and actually starting building it before they came up with this!
I will say though inside is rather lovely.
Funny, in starch contrast the C of E cathedral in Liverpool is a foreboding gothic design.
Both of them very, very new compared to the normal age of cathedrals in UK. Some going back to 12th and 13th centuries. Exeter and York cathedrals are my favourite s I've been too. With their tomes containing Knights and other historical figures centuries old!
ORIGINAL: GaryChildress
Let us pray to the heavenly father that when they do restore all that eloquent and meticulous detail it doesn't end up looking like the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral.
They just don't build things like they used to:
![]()
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: GaryChildress
Let us pray to the heavenly father that when they do restore all that eloquent and meticulous detail it doesn't end up looking like the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral.
They just don't build things like they used to:
![]()
800 years from now I wonder what people will think of it
- TulliusDetritus
- Posts: 5581
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
- Location: The Zone™
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
Saddened, yes. I love architecture.
The 800 year old version died.
The news said a part of the roof was from the 1200s (original) and the other from the 1870s. Many accidents may happen in eight centuries. And I'm sure they happened, so we could end up very well with renovations from the 1400s, 1500s, 1700s and so on.
I suspect this has to be true for every ancient monument (especially when there's wood).
Karnak and Stonehenge are still there though (stone).
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
- MrsWargamer
- Posts: 1653
- Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm
RE: Notre Dame
Comments following my post, yes, good points.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
RE: Notre Dame
It took a hundred years or more to build such great cathedrals. They often had collapses due to weather or structural weakness. It's amazing how many of them are still extent.ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
Saddened, yes. I love architecture.
The 800 year old version died.
The news said a part of the roof was from the 1200s (original) and the other from the 1870s. Many accidents may happen in eight centuries. And I'm sure they happened, so we could end up very well with renovations from the 1400s, 1500s, 1700s and so on.
I suspect this has to be true for every ancient monument (especially when there's wood).
Karnak and Stonehenge are still there though (stone).
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris for some background.
RE: Notre Dame
Again...did Quasi get awzy????!!
- MrRoadrunner
- Posts: 1323
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: Zap
As I see it Billionares seem to be generous offering of their money to rebuild, they could have not offered anything at all. Everyone has the tendency to greed not just the rich. Really need to break the dangerous movement to vilify people who have money. Besides you don't have any idea what other things(charity) they do. So you are judging them.
Everyone's greed is a contributor to the worlds trouble. I see multiple reasons for the route of the worlds ills. Power grabbing, Killing, Stealing peoples property, breakdown of the family unit. And on and on.
Amen Zap.
When the brush is broad the strokes attack the innocent? Which was probably not the intent. Even the poor can be greedy? And, the rich can be generous?
Ed
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
-
ringoblood
- Posts: 438
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:05 am
- Location: USA
RE: Notre Dame
May God Bless the French and May the people rebuild.
Beta Tester:
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
1. The Bloody First
2. Warplan
RE: Notre Dame
When the poor get greedy it involves an apple. Maybe even an automobile or a television and at most a handful of people are affected. When the rich get greedy the economy of the entire planet collapses and billions are hurt. I'd say that's a significant difference. IMO. But afterwards the rich are richer and the poor are poorer. That isn't an opinion.
It is nice to see folks with money coming forward to fix a historical building. It appears the most important structural portions of the building survived the heat.
It is nice to see folks with money coming forward to fix a historical building. It appears the most important structural portions of the building survived the heat.
ne nothi tere te deorsum (don't let the bastards grind you down)
If duct tape doesn't fix it then you are not using enough duct tape.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein.
If duct tape doesn't fix it then you are not using enough duct tape.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein.
RE: Notre Dame
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RE: Notre Dame
From the photo I would say he was on his way to a barbie and his automobile ran out of gas. [;)]
ne nothi tere te deorsum (don't let the bastards grind you down)
If duct tape doesn't fix it then you are not using enough duct tape.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein.
If duct tape doesn't fix it then you are not using enough duct tape.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein.
-
danlongman
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm
- Location: Over the hills and far away
RE: Notre Dame
At least the rich folks virtue signalling by publicly pledging money
are forwarding something a little more useful than good old
"thoughts and prayers".
Glenn Beck is already talking about deep dark secrets.
are forwarding something a little more useful than good old
"thoughts and prayers".
Glenn Beck is already talking about deep dark secrets.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
-
GaryChildress
- Posts: 6933
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
- Location: The Divided Nations of Earth
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: Lecivius
And now, the inevitable [8|]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ma ... ck-n995701
Holy crap! The guy was a doctoral candidate and adjunct lecturer at CUNY? What the heck is going on with people in our universities? We've had the unibomber, the kid who shot up a movie theater showing batman and now this guy, all prospective Ph.Ds.
-
danlongman
- Posts: 584
- Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:36 pm
- Location: Over the hills and far away
RE: Notre Dame
It is clearly a result of the communistification of academia in the United States.
All of them university folks is Marxist/Leninist/Trotskyites and that means arson.
It is clearly time to round up all the doctoral candidates and show Moscow that the
USA isn't just a conveniently corrupt republic of money laundering tools!!!
All of them university folks is Marxist/Leninist/Trotskyites and that means arson.
It is clearly time to round up all the doctoral candidates and show Moscow that the
USA isn't just a conveniently corrupt republic of money laundering tools!!!
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
RE: Notre Dame
What's disturbing, is what came out from rich people helping in the rebuild effort. To them being accused of greed. Where does that come from? I don't see that as helpful to the discussion. Billionaires, can and do affect positively (the economy) billions of people from their good actions. They are people too and should not be used as straw men for the ills of the world. Suffice to say, With more power comes more responsibility.
-
GaryChildress
- Posts: 6933
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
- Location: The Divided Nations of Earth
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: danlongman
It is clearly a result of the communistification of academia in the United States.
All of them university folks is Marxist/Leninist/Trotskyites and that means arson.
It is clearly time to round up all the doctoral candidates and show Moscow that the
USA isn't just a conveniently corrupt republic of money laundering tools!!!
Not what I said, but whatever... [8|]
-
GaryChildress
- Posts: 6933
- Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
- Location: The Divided Nations of Earth
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: danlongman
At least the rich folks virtue signalling by publicly pledging money
are forwarding something a little more useful than good old
"thoughts and prayers".
Glenn Beck is already talking about deep dark secrets.
Maybe, for people who don't have a lot of wealth to give, "thoughts and prayers" are at least something? What's wrong with extending wishes of good will?
- MrRoadrunner
- Posts: 1323
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm
RE: Notre Dame
ORIGINAL: Lobster
When the poor get greedy it involves an apple. Maybe even an automobile or a television and at most a handful of people are affected. When the rich get greedy the economy of the entire planet collapses and billions are hurt. I'd say that's a significant difference. IMO. But afterwards the rich are richer and the poor are poorer. That isn't an opinion.
It is nice to see folks with money coming forward to fix a historical building. It appears the most important structural portions of the building survived the heat.
When the poor get greedy it is greed.
When the rich get greedy it is greed.
You are correct in that; when the poor do evil it mostly effects a relatively small sample. When the rich do evil it can affect many more.
Yours may not be an opinion. More a perspective?
I think all people rich and poor may be giving what they can. But, that is speculation on my part. We do know that the rich have made pledges. I do not know if any of the "poor" have done the same.
I did like the second part of your comments.
RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations





