A couple of questions
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- Hoplosternum
- Posts: 663
- Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:39 pm
- Location: Romford, England
A couple of questions
After a while away from WITPAE I have started to PBEM once more. But I appear to have forgotten quite a few things so thought I would ask some questions. I did try search but as usual didn’t get any useful hits [:(]
I cannot find a list of plane ranges (transfer or combat/extended) in a downloadable format. The information in Tracker on aircraft does not have (any) range values - in hexes or miles that I can see. Tracker does give me the endurance and cruise speed values and I vaguely remember that the range was a formulae of that? But that is then complicated by drop tanks...
Is there any such download? Or any such formula? Excel / spreadsheet / text file something like that is what I am after.
Secondly something wired happened in one of my games. The map changed [X(] after I accidentally pressed mouse buttons (possibly several) while putting my elbow on the keyboard pressing numerous keys. The map then had lots of little Es, SWs, S, N etc one in each hex! And I could not seem to get rid of them. I am hoping these will have gone by the time the turn comes back [;)] but just in case it happens again does anyone know how to get rid of these?
Cheers
I cannot find a list of plane ranges (transfer or combat/extended) in a downloadable format. The information in Tracker on aircraft does not have (any) range values - in hexes or miles that I can see. Tracker does give me the endurance and cruise speed values and I vaguely remember that the range was a formulae of that? But that is then complicated by drop tanks...
Is there any such download? Or any such formula? Excel / spreadsheet / text file something like that is what I am after.
Secondly something wired happened in one of my games. The map changed [X(] after I accidentally pressed mouse buttons (possibly several) while putting my elbow on the keyboard pressing numerous keys. The map then had lots of little Es, SWs, S, N etc one in each hex! And I could not seem to get rid of them. I am hoping these will have gone by the time the turn comes back [;)] but just in case it happens again does anyone know how to get rid of these?
Cheers
RE: A couple of questions
You can get range in game database, also in tracker it shows the range in aircraft , so i think you are missing something
Regarding the buttons click in "M" key to verify keyboard hotkeys.
Regarding the buttons click in "M" key to verify keyboard hotkeys.
RE: A couple of questions
1) I don’t think there is an aircraft range list for download.
You don’t need that anyway. Use your range circles. Hot Key F3.
There is a Japanese Wire Chart with range Info in it. I don’t think there is an Allied one but I could be wrong.
fb.asp?m=2769286
2) You hit a hot key by mistake. It happens to me sometimes.
Learn the Hot Keys:
fb.asp?m=4462798

- Attachments
-
- CatTurn.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 738 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
RE: A couple of questions
See this post for a method by which you can easily insert a Hotkey screen into the game (accessible by the click of a button). Very helpful.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: A couple of questions
I have Hanzberger's Japanese Aircraft Wire Chart printed out and I consult it more than anything else. There are a couple of errors in it. The Rex is colored green as though it is IJA not IJN. No biggie. He doesn't list speeds for bombers, so I've penciled them in, where desired. It's not mentioned that the Seiran is a float plane, just as a torpedo bomber. That's really flipping important, but you can pencil it in.
- Hoplosternum
- Posts: 663
- Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:39 pm
- Location: Romford, England
RE: A couple of questions
Thank you all so much.
Especially the Japanese wire chart. That looks really useful.
Especially the Japanese wire chart. That looks really useful.
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: A couple of questions
My cat hasn't peed on my wire chart, yet. But you never know. She considers me to be a piece of furniture with a brush.


- Attachments
-
- lillyincuffs.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 738 times
RE: A couple of questions
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
RE: A couple of questions
ORIGINAL: Kull
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
Ha ha ha ha....GP
IntelUltra7 16cores, 32gb ram, NvidiaGeForceRTX 2050
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team
"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team
"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: A couple of questions
ORIGINAL: Kull
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
Happened to me. He's long gone, but I had a 4' x 8' game board with the battle of Austerlitz going. He got up there and outperformed General Mack considerably.
Oh, I guess it is of some signifigance. His name was Muffling.
RE: A couple of questions
The easiest way to see aircraft range is to look in the editor. I don't use the ".csv" spreadsheet editor, but I suspect that will give it to you in specific columns in the aircraft data file.
On the hot keys - Edit - already answered.
"I am Alfred"
- HansBolter
- Posts: 7457
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
- Location: United States
RE: A couple of questions
ORIGINAL: Kull
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
Many years ago I had taken in a very sick stray cat that suffered from chronic diahrea (sp?).
I had set up a multi-player strategic European theater game that belonged to a friend in a spare bedroom that I endeavored to keep my many cats out of (I'm the neighborhood cat man).
Unfortunately, the sick stray found her way into the game room and deposited a load of very watery defecation directly in the middle of the game map.
I, of course, had to buy a replacement game for my friend.
In spite of that unpleasant experience, I remain to this day a true cat lover who has dedicated his life to caring for stray and injured cats.
My stories a couple of years ago about losing and recovering little Jojo in the aftermath of hurricane Irma were an example of how far I go in looking out for them.
In the past two years I took in two dying cats and provided hospice care for them because their owners wanted neither to deal with the emotional nor financial strain of shouldering that responsibility.
Wargaming is a hobby, but caring for cats is my life's work.
Hans
- Gridley380
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 pm
RE: A couple of questions
ORIGINAL: Kull
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
Had a cat many, many years ago who ate an armored division (can't remember what game it was from - some Avalon Hill title). We joked thereafter that he had a cast-iron stomach.
He was also a suspect in the chewing of several spotting markers for Avalon Hill's Midway. Of course since those markers were also used for the Coral Sea expansion he clearly just wanted to join one of the PBY night squadrons.
I got into the habit of using the box top and bottom to cover as much of the active board as possible. I progressed to ensuring that I weighted them with rule books and other items.
No idea why cardboard counters were so appealing...
RE: A couple of questions
I have a plaque that says:
"O.C.D.
Obsessive Cat Disorder"
I had a cat that comforted [:)] me - three weeks after she died. [:(]
"O.C.D.
Obsessive Cat Disorder"
I had a cat that comforted [:)] me - three weeks after she died. [:(]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: A couple of questions
When I was young enough to be able to spend time on plastic models, I built a small fleet and my most prized was a recently-completed BB Richelieu, in 1/400 scale by Heller. Very expensive for my Lt. pay scale at the time.ORIGINAL: Gridley380
ORIGINAL: Kull
There's probably a few old cats still doing hard time at Al-cat-raz for board game counter demolition.
Had a cat many, many years ago who ate an armored division (can't remember what game it was from - some Avalon Hill title). We joked thereafter that he had a cast-iron stomach.
He was also a suspect in the chewing of several spotting markers for Avalon Hill's Midway. Of course since those markers were also used for the Coral Sea expansion he clearly just wanted to join one of the PBY night squadrons.
I got into the habit of using the box top and bottom to cover as much of the active board as possible. I progressed to ensuring that I weighted them with rule books and other items.
No idea why cardboard counters were so appealing...
So my brother goes on vacation and asks us to look after his cat. How can you say "No" even though I knew the cat to be cantankerous and spoiled beyond belief (they let it jump up on the kitchen counter while food was being prepared or sliced). Sure enough, it started clawing up furniture and curtains even though I had built a scratching post for it. When I was home I would shoo it off of high shelves where there were delicate things on display. One of these was the shelf that had my BB Richelieu model. One day I came home to find it on the shelf chewing on the delicate masts and rigging that was the hardest part of the model to build (had to melt plastic sprue and extrude it to get thin "wires" for the antennae).
I chased the cat off the shelf and around the house, seeking to shut it in a small room for a while as punishment. It ran into the basement and into the duct work. I left it there thinking it would come down when it got hungry/thirsty. It took days for it to finally reveal itself! Neither of us liked each other after that! I tolerate cats that are just doing normal climbing and checking out hiding spots, but I do not let them have their way in the kitchen or around things that can break easily.
My brother's cat ...

- Attachments
-
- cat2type..fpeople.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 740 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: A couple of questions
I’m a cat lover as well. I’ve taken in stray cats all my life.
I’ve never tried to own one, they choose me.
Cats are great buddies for men. They are natural hunters and mechanics.
What I’ve never figured out is why women like cats.
Cats lay around and are lazy all day, avoid work, they can wander off for long periods of time.
They get in fights, hunt, won’t come home and copulate with any female cat they can find.
Everything a woman loves about a cat she despises in a man.
Go figure!
I’ve never tried to own one, they choose me.
Cats are great buddies for men. They are natural hunters and mechanics.
What I’ve never figured out is why women like cats.
Cats lay around and are lazy all day, avoid work, they can wander off for long periods of time.
They get in fights, hunt, won’t come home and copulate with any female cat they can find.
Everything a woman loves about a cat she despises in a man.
Go figure!
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
RE: A couple of questions
ORIGINAL: Trugrit
I’m a cat lover as well. I’ve taken in stray cats all my life.
I’ve never tried to own one, they choose me.
Cats are great buddies for men. They are natural hunters and mechanics.
What I’ve never figured out is why women like cats.
Cats lay around and are lazy all day, avoid work, they can wander off for long periods of time.
They get in fights, hunt, won’t come home and copulate with any female cat they can find.
Everything a woman loves about a cat she despises in a man.
Go figure!
Men are too stupid to do what cats do: recognize that the woman feeds them and suck up often!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth








