P-70 Nightfighter
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
-
fcooke
- Posts: 1158
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:37 pm
- Location: Boston, London, Hoboken, now Warwick, NY
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Gents - methinks your mixing up the P-61 black widow with earlier night fighter the P-70 Havoc. The P-70s may never have taken anything down but I would be shocked if the Widows did not.
- pontiouspilot
- Posts: 1131
- Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 pm
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Night bombing of anything but a city should be a fool's errand but in my game as Japan it certainly isn't. The massed allied 4 eng bombers are deadly, causing endless damage to airfields and troop concentrations even in face of significant night fighters. My opponent and I decided it was silly and banned it. I'm in DBB 28, July '43.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
I would be shocked if the Widows did not.
IIRC a Widow was credited with the last kill of the war.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot
Night bombing of anything but a city should be a fool's errand but in my game as Japan it certainly isn't. The massed allied 4 eng bombers are deadly, causing endless damage to airfields and troop concentrations even in face of significant night fighters. My opponent and I decided it was silly and banned it. I'm in DBB 28, July '43.
TBH, I'm with you. It was no easy task during WWII to hit anything other than a city at night. Even that proved difficult enough for quite some time.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
- Gridley380
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:24 pm
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
ORIGINAL: fcooke
Gents - methinks your mixing up the P-61 black widow with earlier night fighter the P-70 Havoc. The P-70s may never have taken anything down but I would be shocked if the Widows did not.
The P-61's did get kills (though not a whole lot); there was even a P-61 Ace.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Probably my mix up -
I stand corrected on the plane ....
My opinion / concurrence with Ranger Joe stands
I stand corrected on the plane ....
My opinion / concurrence with Ranger Joe stands
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
The P-61's did get kills (though not a whole lot);
I think the reason for that was by the time they came on the scene there just weren't too many axis planes up there at night.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
The P-61 Black Widow was very effective in Luzon. On the raid on the POW camp at Cabanatuan, it distracted the guards while the Rangers crawled up to the camp in daylight. At night, it patrolled above the roads to attack Japanese forces. In fact, the Rangers and POWs had to cross a couple of roads and there was no Japanese road traffic. While that may not have been the primary mission for the plane, it did you essential work to help make the raid an outstanding success.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
My goof on thinking P-70 was the model reference for the Black Widow! Thanks for the correction on that!ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
The P-61 Black Widow was very effective in Luzon. On the raid on the POW camp at Cabanatuan, it distracted the guards while the Rangers crawled up to the camp in daylight. At night, it patrolled above the roads to attack Japanese forces. In fact, the Rangers and POWs had to cross a couple of roads and there was no Japanese road traffic. While that may not have been the primary mission for the plane, it did you essential work to help make the raid an outstanding success.
And thanks for that interesting tidbit of history Ranger Joe! I can imagine that 4 x .50 cals and 4 X 20mm would clear a road pretty fast!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
ORIGINAL: latosusi
Which squadrons are available to be upgraded to this airplane?
Thank you in advance
If you intend to use it in night combat, don't bother. the NF interception routine is borked.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Bother, it will disrupt night bombers.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot
Night bombing of anything but a city should be a fool's errand but in my game as Japan it certainly isn't. The massed allied 4 eng bombers are deadly, causing endless damage to airfields and troop concentrations even in face of significant night fighters. My opponent and I decided it was silly and banned it. I'm in DBB 28, July '43.
See this thread were the above fact is proven again:
tm.asp?m=4672727
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
ORIGINAL: fcooke
That's been my exp as well. RJ does make a point about creating disruption. Japan 'seems' to have better luck at night than the Allies do. But it is perception - no hard data to back it up.
Not my exp, I am playing as IJ PBM and Allied AI. The Allied 4Es in the PBM have mounted 2 smaller night raids (not a hundred planes mind you) which took out 2 air units on the ground (a Nick and Judy recon unit) and damaging 2 other fighter units.
Oth, the Japanese AI does also send in some smaller night raids vs. my Allied fields I never bothered about them as they perhaps damage 1 or 2 planes on the ground. Also did not bother to do night bombing as Allies. However I now may try it out...
I also think that night actions just another level of micromanagement, when there is already quite a bit of this for both sides without night attacks.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Anti-aircraft artillery fires at night as well, ground radar helps it. Fortification levels also help barrage balloons.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
- CaptBeefheart
- Posts: 2627
- Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:42 am
- Location: Seoul, Korea
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
In my experience, night fighters get very few kills, but they do seem to reduce the effectiveness of night raids by quite a bit. Even 1/3 of a squadron of something without radar (Buffaloes or Mohawks, for instance) is useful.
Cheers,
CB
Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Yes, even just a few. I like to divide the Blenheim IF into thirds. Some of them have even damaged enemy planes with not much experience or skill. In the beginning, the HQ air are nice for this.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
RE: P-70 Nightfighter
Don't waste too much time as the Allies on NFs.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.





