*sigh* I hate my PC
Moderator: maddog986
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
*sigh* I hate my PC
Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
Fallschirmjager:Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
I feel your pain.
A few years ago I was having real problems with my PC. It would crash; I would get the blue screen of death, etc.
I kept having to take it back to the shop where I had it made, but all their efforts seemed to come to naught.
I was one frustrated gamer
Then one weekend my PC started acting up again, I called the shop, but they said it would be several days before they could see my computer.
So, left with no choice I decided to format my hard drive myself (and we are talking about a real PC novice), then re-install all my hard ware piece by piece.
Well, it took me an entire day. And you know something? I haven't had a problem with my PC since then. That was 3 years ago, and I still have the same PC - a WIN '98, PII 350 (ya, I know, don't laugh).
So, for 3 years I have had a problem-free PC. I haven't formatted my hard drive for 3 years. All I do once a week is run spybot, scan disk, and defrag.
So there is hope. And it may be just around the corner. . .
Cheers!
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
-
Wallenstein
- Posts: 91
- Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:41 pm
- Location: Austria
What are your system specs?
Which graphics drivers do you use?
Did you have the problem from the beginning on or did it occur after a certain event, software or hardware installation?
If you´ve given up and you want to formate your drive and reinstall Windows(XP?), here´s one way to do it:
Insert the Windows CD, restart your PC, but make sure you have booting from CD enabled in the BIOS.
The Windows installation sequence will begin, you will be asked to format your drive there.
Just follow the instructions and wait...
Getting the newest drivers for your hardware would also be a good idea...
Which graphics drivers do you use?
Did you have the problem from the beginning on or did it occur after a certain event, software or hardware installation?
If you´ve given up and you want to formate your drive and reinstall Windows(XP?), here´s one way to do it:
Insert the Windows CD, restart your PC, but make sure you have booting from CD enabled in the BIOS.
The Windows installation sequence will begin, you will be asked to format your drive there.
Just follow the instructions and wait...
Getting the newest drivers for your hardware would also be a good idea...
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
Try downloading some of the speed tests and benchmarking programmes for your PC to compare with others.
I had this problem on my old PC and the tests showed a poor hard disk performance.
I sold my PC not long after to a freind cheap (he knew all the probs) not long after the hard disk went completely.
If your hard disk aint working properly this will definatly slow your system down. A lot of people forget to look there, but it may be worth a shot.
Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
Try downloading some of the speed tests and benchmarking programmes for your PC to compare with others.
I had this problem on my old PC and the tests showed a poor hard disk performance.
I sold my PC not long after to a freind cheap (he knew all the probs) not long after the hard disk went completely.
If your hard disk aint working properly this will definatly slow your system down. A lot of people forget to look there, but it may be worth a shot.
- Raindog101
- Posts: 202
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:10 pm
- Location: Hole-in-the-Wall
It's probably the CPU. You need to upgrade every 3 years, to play the latest 3D games.Fallschirmjager wrote:Some of you may remember my problem of my PC slowing down to unplayable framrate on 3-D games
Well....the problem hasnt gotten any better
And it makes my best system all but unusable for gaming
I have no idea what the problem is and have tried anything and am unable to fix the problem
This problem is really annoying and means I cant play games on this system anymore
At Best Buy you can get a PC that will play any game on the market today for a paltry $800.00. If it breaks, just throw it away and go buy another one.
You are going to need a new PC to play "Call of Duty"
That demo is truly amazing.
One thing I was told was to never install windows over itself. I tried that several years ago, and I still had problems. Doing this may cause you to use up even more disk space and memory.Fallschirmjager wrote:![]()
I installed windows back over itself...and still have the problem
Im just going to reformate the **** thing
How do I do it?...and whats the easiest way to do it?
Im using windows xp pro
The best thing I found was to reformat my hard drive and simply get rid of all the garbage it had accumulated.
I don't have XP pro, so I would follow Wallenstein's advice here.
Even do a google for formatting and re-installing for XP pro. Then carefully re-install all your hardware devices (it's actually easier than we think), and make sure you get all the latest drivers for your hardware.
The way I look at it is you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing this.
Hope it all works out
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Alright
Im off to do this
Lets hope this cures the problem
The problem started after...
My original system hardrive died and they sent me a replacement
My original was a 40 gb IBM
They sent me back a Hitachi 40 GB
Does anyone know the if their are any problems with this model? Or could you look it up for me?
If so....Ill call Alienware and give them hell until they send me an IBM back
The model is a: Hitachi-DK23EB-40
Anyways...The problem is not me needing an upgrade
I have a P4 2.2ghz
512 mb DDR ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 7500
So my system is capable of running anything on the market
Ok..im off to reformat
If im not back by tonight assume the worst
Im off to do this
Lets hope this cures the problem
The problem started after...
My original system hardrive died and they sent me a replacement
My original was a 40 gb IBM
They sent me back a Hitachi 40 GB
Does anyone know the if their are any problems with this model? Or could you look it up for me?
If so....Ill call Alienware and give them hell until they send me an IBM back
The model is a: Hitachi-DK23EB-40
Anyways...The problem is not me needing an upgrade
I have a P4 2.2ghz
512 mb DDR ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 7500
So my system is capable of running anything on the market
Ok..im off to reformat
If im not back by tonight assume the worst
-
Wallenstein
- Posts: 91
- Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:41 pm
- Location: Austria
IBM´s storage division has been sold to Hitachi last year, so all former IBM drives now have a Hitachi label. Your hd may not be the latest piece of art, but I think it fits well in a common home system.Fallschirmjager wrote:Alright
The problem started after...
My original system hardrive died and they sent me a replacement
My original was a 40 gb IBM
They sent me back a Hitachi 40 GB
Does anyone know the if their are any problems with this model? Or could you look it up for me?
If so....Ill call Alienware and give them hell until they send me an IBM back
The model is a: Hitachi-DK23EB-40
Anyway, good luck with the new setup!
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Belisarius
- Posts: 3099
- Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
- Contact:
If you want to erase the whole drive and make a fresh install, do away with the recovery disk. Grab your OS disk (W98/2000/XP/Mac/Linux/...) and flip it in. You will then be asked if you want to format the drive prior to installation of the OS.Fallschirmjager wrote:Ok...back for help
When I use my recovery disk it only wants to reinstall over itself...
How do I make it delete my current install and make a fresh one?
Try This
Falls>>>>>Before I do anything I go here and post my question on the appropriate forum http://discussions.virtualdr.com/ its kept me on the air for quite a while and has cured lots of problems. Its free and usually fast, in fact your problem may already be answered. Good luck guy.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
I did a google and here are a couple of sites that may be of assistance:Fallschirmjager wrote:Recovery desk is my OS disk
It asks me if I want to replace....but it simply reinstalls over the old install
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:tyS ... n&ie=UTF-8
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwb ... 70935.html
Don't worry, the new usage of "google" as a verb, rather than as a noun, will soon be in the next version of dictionariesJoe 98 wrote:You “did a Google”???
The advent of the internet is not an excuse for poor grammar
I googled; he googled; we all googled. . .
We googled all night long. . .
Cheers!










