When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
User avatar
rjord2021
Posts: 2019
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:47 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

Post by rjord2021 »

After a lot of modding this past weekend, I suddenly got into a situation that took 2 days to resolve.

During testing of the mod, I started off by building a small base. Once that was complete, I built an exploration ship...... and then bang!!!! the game crashed to desktop.

I checked the error logs and it was coming up with an error in my Star Wars mod about something happening specifically with the Galactic Empire files..... however, the error message did not say what the problem was.

I checked my mod and there were no issues..... all I could see was that the error had something to do with pirates..... which I was not playing as.

I went back to backups from several months ago..... each one crashed..... this was making no sense.

I deleted the file Distantworlds.exe and got Steam to rebuild it .... the game still crashed seconds after building a ship.

It became frustrating because I couldn't see where the problem was.

Then I tried something different ..... instead of running the game from the desktop icon I started it from the game folder..... no more crashes.

I could have cried..... the problem was somehow related to the desktop shortcut itself that I have being using for 6 months or more.

So.... if anyone is having issues with Distant Worlds Universe crashing or coming up with one error or another, try running the game from the folder and not from the desktop..... it could save you days of frustration.
elvendeathknight
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:58 pm

RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

Post by elvendeathknight »

Thanks for the tip
User avatar
rjord2021
Posts: 2019
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:47 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: ArchMike

Thanks for the tip


The crazy thing is that now the desktop link runs the mod without crashing..... I am wondering if the issue may have been resolved when I logged out of Windows and logged back in.....
ElanaAhova_slith
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:53 pm

RE: When Distant Worlds Universe Crashes to Desktop

Post by ElanaAhova_slith »

Did you reset the registry items DW:U used? With many games (although I don't know if DW:U is one of them) left over registry items from a previous install (or mod) sometimes screws up the now install.
Do as you would be done by.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”