Warplan The Navy

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Post Reply
User avatar
battlevonwar
Posts: 1233
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:17 am

Warplan The Navy

Post by battlevonwar »

The Navy is complex and I see a lot of people misplaying it as well as myself. Axis have fewer 'options' aside the early game so she is a little less of a headache there. I notice though with the Allies you best be on your game in this area. Axis can kind of camp a few coastlines depending on their strategy.
My questions pertains to players that played the Allies longer than me. I notice that separating CVs gives you more strikes, is that true? So having multiple CV Battle Groups would be superior? Or do the CV planes combine to do the same job, better?

Air interdiction on supplies as well as Air Interdiction on Transports, ships, amphibious units. This is automatic if the Air Unit has the strength to do so even without operational points left at the end of the opponents turn? I have not seen this much and I've not used the feature much. I find this abstraction most surprising and also a bit random.

I see a lot of players don't understand how the Naval System works and neither do I. With Destroyers out feeling they can hunt down Subs. How effective are subs as fleets, I see that they have quite a strike range? Also I notice that subs are vulnerable to air attack so it is best to put them way out there. Or is this pointless? they will get hunted no matter where they are?

I have fought numerous Naval Battles but I find that the results seemed to mostly benefit the defender? Or is this random?

So far interdicting amphibious units, transports seem a little bit tough. I will confess something I've yet to see it happen? It appears that things like Normandy, Egypt, Norway, Greece, German Baltic Coast can be easily defended this way? Or blocked/blockaded so to speak? The AI doesn't do this however...

I know these are pretty elementary questions but this aspect of the game is something I'm in the 3rd grade about. All and any answers are appreciated.
murdock762
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:19 pm

RE: Warplan The Navy

Post by murdock762 »

Best to specify if you are talking about PBEM or play vs computer.

Regarding tactics to counter subs, building escorts will damage the subs. So you wont sink them outright, but will cause Germany to have to cycle them back to port and then spend resources to rebuild. Not a decisive response but it does degrade Germany.

Yes I have found split up your CVs to maximize number of strikes is best plan, but 9 times out of 10 they will not find anything. However once in a while RNG smiles and you get one.

Also all bombers can be set to Naval Attack, so whenever possible keep planes in spots where you might have a target and use them. Computer is pretty good about keep subs out of this trap though.

So isnt one silver bullet to hard counter subs, you have to use all your tools and slowly degrade the German attacks.

My take is Navy isnt like other units where you constantly attacking, use them sparingly when you really need to support or stop an invasion. The main job for allies is to protect the vulnerable land and air units in transit. (and hunt subs)
Post Reply

Return to “WarPlan”