Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
steph25
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:28 am

Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by steph25 »

I know there's been a couple of topics about restricted HQs but I didn't find my answer... so here is another one.

After a couple of short trys in the last 10 years, it seems I am now well on my way along the Grand Campaign on the jap side (still in December '41 anyway [8|]).

I'd like to plan early enough for an invasion of the Northern Islands (Attu & Kiska) by moving some troops to Paramushiro-jima and organize the base.

Problem I face is that most of the IJA troops on the Northern Side are under restricted HQ conditions (Northen Army) with no other unrestricted army in the geographical that I could switch my units to.
On the IJN side there is the 5th Fleet with only a few ENGs available and a SNLF unit arriving during spring of 42.

However, if I look at the dedicated stock scenario, Paramushiro-jima, Attu & Kiska are full of Northern Army units without any kind of restriction.

Does it mean that someday the Northern Army will unlock, but then how to know when ?
Or did I miss something ?

Thanks in advance for your help !




GetAssista
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 am

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: steph25
Problem I face is that most of the IJA troops on the Northern Side are under restricted HQ conditions (Northen Army) with no other unrestricted army in the geographical that I could switch my units to.
On the IJN side there is the 5th Fleet with only a few ENGs available and a SNLF unit arriving during spring of 42.

However, if I look at the dedicated stock scenario, Paramushiro-jima, Attu & Kiska are full of Northern Army units without any kind of restriction.

Does it mean that someday the Northern Army will unlock, but then how to know when ?
Or did I miss something ?
Land units will never switch by themselves. You do it by spending political points.
If the unit command is yellow, you can switch it. There are always unrestricted commands available for the switch, since all of the commands are available for every switchable unit by default. It's just that sometimes you can spend 1/4 of full points if you switch subcommands inside the large command. But most of the time you have to pay full points

Sometimes it is possible to air transport restricted units, given that both source and destination bases are of the same command that encompasses the unit (sub)command
steph25
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:28 am

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by steph25 »

Many thanks for the answer.

Yes I know I can switch units using PPs.
Besides the fact that available unrestricted HQs are quite far from the Northern theatre of operations, my point was that in the 1.000 Miles War scenario, the Restricted Northern Army command seems to be no more restricted and therefore the question will it unlock sometimes in the Grand Campaign ?.

If not, there must be something I miss from the gameplay or the historical side...

User avatar
821Bobo
Posts: 2415
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Slovakia

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by 821Bobo »

I think these are scenario design decisions. Restricting HQs and units to prevent player packing and loading everything on ships on T1 and send overseas.
GetAssista
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 am

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: steph25
Besides the fact that available unrestricted HQs are quite far from the Northern theatre of operations, my point was that in the 1.000 Miles War scenario, the Restricted Northern Army command seems to be no more restricted and therefore the question will it unlock sometimes in the Grand Campaign?
It was a design choice for the 1000 miles scenario specifically, else Japanese player be severely restricted in his ability to shift forces locally
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by rustysi »

You know it doesn't matter to which HQ you reassign ground units that you buy out? Of course except that they're unrestricted. Myself when I buy out ground units they all get assigned to the Southern HQ.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12862
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by Sardaukar »

You get some logistic and combat benefits if your unit is within command radius of it's Command HQ. But it's not critical.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by rustysi »

You get some logistic and combat benefits if your unit is within command radius of it's Command HQ.

Not quite true. Ground units may get benefits if they are in within the command radius of any HQ, Command or not. Although certain benefits are limited to a Command HQ.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
GetAssista
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 am

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar
You get some logistic and combat benefits if your unit is within command radius of it's Command HQ. But it's not critical.
It does not matter if it is your HQ in range or some other, you get the same bonus. I'm sure devs commented on it at some point.
The only thing that matters is that HQy/HQc (army/corps) and HQ (command) effects are cumulative.
steph25
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:28 am

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by steph25 »

Thanks a lot for all your answers [&o]
Things are clearer now and in the meantime I discovered I can reassign IJA units to an IJN HQ (quite surprising I must say)... so I just have to decide now how many PPs I want to invest...
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by rustysi »

so I just have to decide now how many PPs I want to invest

Careful how you spend these, as there are lots to spend on, and PP's are very limited.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Ian R
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cammeraygal Country

RE: Did I miss something about restricted HQs ?

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: steph25

Thanks a lot for all your answers [&o]
Things are clearer now and in the meantime I discovered I can reassign IJA units to an IJN HQ (quite surprising I must say)... so I just have to decide now how many PPs I want to invest...

Your best option is often an unrestricted air HQ that reports to the same area command. Being in the same HQ chain reduces the cost to 25%. Not sure if that is what you mean by "IJN HQ" in this instance.

"I am Alfred"
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”