Realistic Results: what are these things, what aren't they?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Kid wrote:I just want to make the point that there will never be a perfect game.

I think we differ in the way we look at games. I base my opinion on how much fun I had playing them and how long they held my attention. My all time favorite is MOO II, I still play it. Next would be UV (I’ve been playing for over 20 months now and still look forward for that turn to come in) and then Gettysburg by Talon Soft (actually I enjoy all the Battleground games). I also loved UFO Terror from the Deep but I can't get it to play on the newer machines. Note that they are all turn-based games. When its RTS, I don’t even bother to try the demo.
I understood your question to encompass only historical simulations, which by definition are bound to be held to a higher standard of expectation. At least here. Should you throw the competition open to all comers of every kind then the three games I've mentioned might take a drop in the standings.

Gettysburg by John Tiller was of course plagiarized from Richard Berg's excellent Terrible Swift Sword. I understand Tiller's eagerness to hit the street with a winning game system, and he sure chose good one, but stealing is stealing and it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Having said as much, not a lot's been done with the core system over the years, to the point where's it's now being called shovelware near and far across the hobby. I think the system saw its hey-day with the third-party scenarios for Prelude to Waterloo. Those can be awful fun to play--you need a PBEM opponent, of course, as Tiller's concept of AI is one of the worst found anywhere.

I never did get around to MOO. Talk over on the CGOnline boards a few years ago was that the first game was never quite matched by its sequels. You apparently see that differently. Again, I just don't know.

As for 'fun," I agree recreational software ought to be. I guess that's why we don't call it work software. Nevertheless I'm all for getting it--whatever it is--the best we can. My overall message in this forum is that Gary doesn't seem to be knocking himself out in that regard. Most of the problems I've mentioned have to do with game issues dating back more than a few years.

Now you might disagree again but I happen to have more respect for Gary's ability. It's already a fun system, so imagine how much more fun it could be to play if he'd just get it right.

I do wish he would try.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Best Games

Post by mogami »

Hi, Phew thats a tough question. (all time favorite games.)
I've liked so many of them over the years.
I really liked Battles of Napoleon wish it had a campaign feature. It was a pain in the but setting up my div and corps every battle. (I wanted to keep my units).

I've liked every game by Gary and SSI. Never played any he did for other companies. If I had a nickle for every hour I've spent on Second Front, Easy Front, West Front, Pac War, UV. Guadalcanal Campaign, Bomb Alley, Kampfgruppe, Steel Panthers, Carrier Strike. blah blah blah.

Of course I've never found a game without problems. Some of them have killed my interst in what was otherwise a fantastic game. (I had to stop playing Civil War Generals II online because of the leader/limbered arty cut off thing. (1 General with a staff of 20 or 30 guys could force 2000 infantry to surrender.)

WITP could not have even been attempted 15 years ago. Before I added more memory it crashed my machine all the time.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

Post by denisonh »

Tristanjohn wrote: [snip]
My overall message in this forum is that Gary doesn't seem to be knocking himself out in that regard.
[snip]
......
I do wish he would try.
My understanding is that GG and company are busting thier butts on WitP.

WitP is a massive undertaking in terms of scope, level of detail, and sheer complexity. The release has been delayed because of the amount of progamming required to implement the UV engine on this scale while fixing some inherent flaws in the engine.

I believe they are overloaded.

And you are telling me that because GG is not catering to your 'requests', he is not trying?

OK
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

denisonh wrote:My understanding is that GG and company are busting thier butts on WitP.

WitP is a massive undertaking in terms of scope, level of detail, and sheer complexity. The release has been delayed because of the amount of progamming required to implement the UV engine on this scale while fixing some inherent flaws in the engine.

I believe they are overloaded.

And you are telling me that because GG is not catering to your 'requests', he is not trying?

OK

Well of course they're busting their butts. You don't get a fun game (or any game at all) for nothing. My point is that Gary's not trying awful hard to pick up mistakes dating way way way way back, possibly before you ever got into the hobby.

He's not trying to please me, or anyone with my demands. He apparently is trying to please those who either can't tell the difference and/or will not bother to complain about it. That, of course, is always easier from the standpoint of the designer/developer but not necessarily better.

As I have seen very little feedback from this forum of a sensible nature--feedback which in any event does not often touch on issues I know to be critical to any substantial improvement of the simulation--I've chosen to exercise my right of speech (thank you very much Matrix) to let my thoughts on the subject be known.

And who's to say Gary will not break down and toss me a bone, who's to say he will not fix one of two small things I've mentioned along the way? You?

Should he, then regardless of any other consideration we would all stand to benefit. Now isn't that so?

Sounds to me as if you can only win from this deal. What are you complaining about? :)
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
denisonh
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Upstate SC

Post by denisonh »

Tristanjohn wrote:Well of course they're busting their butts. You don't get a fun game (or any game at all) for nothing. My point is that Gary's not trying awful hard to pick up mistakes dating way way way way back, possibly before you ever got into the hobby.

He's not trying to please me, or anyone with my demands. He apparently is trying to please those who either can't tell the difference and/or will not bother to complain about it. That, of course, is always easier from the standpoint of the designer/developer but not necessarily better.
I believe there is another group that you did not mention: Those who do not share your assesment of the problems with UV. Simply calling them Chumps or Sheep and treating them with contempt does not make you any more right.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
CommC
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:48 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by CommC »

There shouldn't be any IJN CD guns on Guadalcanal in August 42 (or ever). They just weren't there. There may have been a couple tubes of small arty, but by the time the transports got within range, the marines were on the beach and the guys manning those guns were running for their lives, not taking pot shots at the transports.

If there is something wrong with the UV model, I think its more on the over-abundance of IJN supply rather than the air to air combat model. By August of 42, the Japanese had extended their empire to such an extent that they did not have enough shipping (civilian cargo ships) to supply all their far-flung outposts, much less supply the Japan homeland with enough food or iron ore to meet the needs of the war-time construction industry. This flaw in the model is easily corrected with scenario design and supply settings. No need to spend a lot of time tweaking the core code.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

denisonh wrote:I believe there is another group that you did not mention: Those who do not share your assesment of the problems with UV. Simply calling them Chumps or Sheep and treating them with contempt does not make you any more right.

I may be wrong about a lot stuff, to include my direct method of dealing with people. A friend of mine once typified me as "not prime material for the state department" and I guess he was right.

However anyone views that business, I am not mistaken about the problems I've identified with the model. Neither is it the case a person needs to be an intellectual elitist to see these problems. It only takes casual knowledge of the subject and the will to be critical. These problems are, afterall, obvious.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
TIMJOT
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:00 am

Post by TIMJOT »

(quote)
----------------------------------
Almost all of that is at best a horrific oversimplification and at worst outright incorrect. The Japanese in the first half of 1942 rarely outfought a unit that had first line air craft in air to air combat. They shot up lots of stuff on the ground (PI), lots of Brewsters, Fokkers, and a handful of hurricrates in the Singapore area. In Indonesia, it is entirely possible that Dutch pilots in P40s shot down more Zekes than they lost in air-to-air combat. But the a/c did not last long ANYHOW because many of them were used in ground attack... too many jobs, not enough a/c.
----------------------------------



Hi Mdiehl,

Although I agree mostly with your overall premise, you too sometimes can be guilty at best of oversimplification and at worst outright exageration, IMO. ;)

For example; contrary to common myth, the FEAF was not destroyed on the ground on Dec 8, 1941. In fact only 10 P-40s were destroyed on the ground at Clark along with 1 P-40 destroyed on the ground at Iba that first day of the war. Nine P-40s were destroyed in air to air combat against 3 confirmed Zekes shot down. On the 10th Dec. another 11 P-40s were shot down in air to air combat, which compelled USAFFE to cease interception ops for the duration.

Regarding the handfull of Hurricanes. The Brits had sent 50 Hurricanes to Singapore with vetran pilots against which the 22nd AirFlot never had more than 25 zekes of the special "Yamada Unit" in the Malaya theater.

Regarding the Dutch pitifull airforce you get no arguement from me, but I am curious of what information you might have on those Dutch P-40s. I have seen them sited briefly in some accounts but as yet have not been able to confirm they had existed much less had flown against Zekes. I think it entirely possible some sources may be confuseing them with Curtiss P-36 Hawks. Any info you might have on them would be greatly appreciated.



(quote)
-------------------------------------
The only places where I can find lopsided Japanese victories over P40 equipped units or USMC/USN pilots are single instances where the Japanese had overwhelming air superiority in numbers (Midway vs. VMF there) or by pure luck (18 August at Cactus, PM in March, Darwin raid and one instance in Indonesia) where the Japanese arrived suddenly and without warning. That tells me that any sustained advantage that the Japanese enjoyed in early 1942 had nothing to do with prior experience, training or aircraft. Instead, the primary factor was the quality (in many cases, absence) of Allied early-warning systems and the general advantage that goes with the person who has the initiative and is launching the attack (concentration and timing of effort).
-------------------------------------


You are forgetting August 7th, 1942 when the USN lost 9 F4Fs in air to air combat while shooting down the loss of just 2 IJN Zekes of the Tinian Air Group. The USN CAP had plenty of warning and altitude. Of course This doesnt mean that the IJN was 5:1 better. I agree the USN F4Fs vs the IJN Zekes were basically equal in 1942 , but with occasional lopsided encounters on both sides.

I also agree that undoubtly the lack of even a rudimentry early warning system anywhere in either the SRA or the PI was a major factor, but then shouldnt that be somehow modeled in the game? Also if you do not like expirence as a modifier in the early going in WitP then I think there will be a need for a whole lot of other modifiers added to correctly simulate all the handicaps the allies were fighting under in those first few months.

Regards
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

CommC wrote:There shouldn't be any IJN CD guns on Guadalcanal in August 42 (or ever). They just weren't there. There may have been a couple tubes of small arty, but by the time the transports got within range, the marines were on the beach and the guys manning those guns were running for their lives, not taking pot shots at the transports.
I'm not sure there was anything on Guadacanal to shoot from the shore other than a mortar or a machine gun. The CDs in my example were shipped in from Shortland and Rabaul, presumably. The question is how ought these assets be modeled wherever they're found.

We know, for whatever reason, that Japanese shore batteries were not effective in the war. In UV I've found shore batteries to be very effective, and worse, the system is so poorly conceived and constructed with respect to the makeup of TFs and the interaction of various TFs within any given hex, most especially base/beach hexes, as to render CDs even more effective insofar as there really is no efficient way for the attacker to fire back.

So, typically for Gary's system, it's a double whammy of bad design and generally pro-Japanese: 1) these guns prove to be ahistorically effective 2) it isn't easy to develop counter-battery fire in order to silence them.

There's also the issue of "scale," or "how many of these CD angels might be placed on the head of a beach pin"? As far as I can tell there is no limit. Is it easier to hit five CD angels than only one?

Let's call that a third bad hit.

See how fast a model can fall apart? And it all begins with bad premise (CDs are effective, or more probably "CDs are in the game so let's make them do something" was the line of reasoning employed), then is made worse with lack of adequate testing. That, or indifference and/or ignorance on the part of the testers as to the results they must have experienced for themselves.

None of this could possibly have attained given a different design attitude coming in.

Why model gross mistakes into an historical simulation? Is that supposed to buck up the old "fun" factor? Is the statement "inaccuracy is more fun than accuracy"? Is this just one more example of the designer's overall attempt to balance the "scales" in order that the Tanaka wannabes will buy the game, too?

What's going on?
If there is something wrong with the UV model, I think its more on the over-abundance of IJN supply rather than the air to air combat model. By August of 42, the Japanese had extended their empire to such an extent that they did not have enough shipping (civilian cargo ships) to supply all their far-flung outposts, much less supply the Japan homeland with enough food or iron ore to meet the needs of the war-time construction industry. This flaw in the model is easily corrected with scenario design and supply settings. No need to spend a lot of time tweaking the core code.
I think you're right in general, but the case is complicated due to the generic nature of "supply" in the model. The Japanese had lots of some kinds of supply but lacked other more critical stuff to make some (many) components of their greater war machine 100% functional. As I doubt supply will be all that much more closely defined than it already is I'd suggest yet again the installation of "switches" to control certain mechanics throughout the model. This would effect both the Japanese and Allies at various junctures, by the way, though on balance the Japanese would surely take the hardest hit.

For the Allies, one certain ordnance item to be "switched off" (well, not completely off but greatly reduced) would be torpedoes in 1942. Sub commanders were under orders not to fire spreads in the early going after the loss of the torpedo stockpile in the Philippines.

For the Japanese it gets tougher: how many spare parts for plane engines, just for instance, were they short and how soon did this shortage affect operations? How about spare parts for ships?

Or.

Do Japanese troops suffer attrition from malaria to the same extent as the Allies? Should they? Probably not but I don't know for sure. Does anyone? And if anyone does know how should this be spread across the breadth of the entire war? Did this situation ever improve for the Japanese?

I know three things. There need be no end to interesting questions; intelligent answers are more difficult to find; Japanese CDs shooting the crap out of Allied invasion fleets which are for all intents and purposes prevented from effectively firing back is not an example of an intelligent answer, was in all likelihood the direct result of not having asked an interesting question to begin with.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

CD

Post by mogami »

"We know, for whatever reason, that Japanese shore batteries were not effective in the war. "

Hi, Put the counter fire ships in the transport TF. Don't use AP's. (AP's are for unopposed landings)
The Allies did not land on Japanese bases with CD's Just like Japan avoided landing on allied CD. On islands where the USMC did land (Tarawa) The Japanese were very effective. (And almost impossible to destroy via naval gunfire or air attacks)

There is only so much beach front in the Lunga hex. But for a hex like Tarawa its easy to place the guns where they have effect. (The island is so small)

If you think it's pro Japanese try landing Japanese troops on a hex with allied CD.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
IronDuke_slith
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by IronDuke_slith »

I think the CDs issue just illustrates how difficult it is to simulate somethings. It may be one thing to say they are too effective, but unless you can illustrate exactly why they were less effective in real life, you're not going to reproduce it.

Using the Tarawa example. The 8" guns opened up at 5.07 at the transports. These were close in and more vulnerable because of the currents and their poor charts (how do you simulate that?) They don't seem to have hit much (which you could try and simulate by giving the crews low experience) and were silenced by US battleships (high experience?), but as Mogami suggested, you'd simulate this by including them in the invasion fleet in UV.

Next up were the 140mm and 80mm guns which in a target rich environment could only manage "a long series of near misses". Again, I'd argue you can't simulate this. If you decide there's a 10% chance of these weapons hitting something each time they fire, you're going to hit something at some point if you get off enough rounds. Therefore, no invasion of Tarawa is likely to be historic, because these weapons couldn't be that ineffective.

The destroyer Ringgold was eventually hit twice, but both rounds turned out to be duds. Again, unless you can show catastrophic ordinance problems for IJN 140mm weapons, any simulation is going to decide one or both of those shells hit home.

As the marines came in the Japanese started firing airbursts which were so overladen with high explosive that the intended shrapnel shower never materialised because the warheads were vapourising. How do we simulate the chance of that happening?

All you can do here by way of simulation of CDs is say these guns have a % chance of hitting, dependent on crew experience, the number of ships on suppressing fire and maybe weather , and their ordanance will do a % amount of damage when it hits depending on target armour, and the simulated hit point etc. Mogami mentions the size of the hosting island, which is another good factor. If there are fewer beaches, I'd increase the effectiveness. Few of the reasons behind poor performance at Tarawa could really be simulated and I wouldn't blame the model for not trying.

If I had one suggestion for CDs, it would be to follow up on something Mogami said concerning a Japanese preference to hold fire until the Marines were in the landing craft or on the beach and looking to move inland. If memory serves, Iwo Jima also supports such a preference. At Tarawa a number of Marine landing craft (at least a dozen in the initial waves, I think) were hit whilst in the water. I'd be tempted to allow CD units the option to hold fire until the landing starts and subject to experience, the weather, and the other usual factors, be allowed to fire at the landing craft instead of the transports. Since landing craft are not simulated as such, the simulation would have to judge how many were hit and deduct a number of troops from the number landed to simulate the losses. If they were heavy you could also give the invasion troops a hit on morale and disruption.

Re realism in general, no game is going to really give us that. I'd also argue we wouldn't want it. A number of things that cannot be simulated (Error, a single individual's incompetence, indecision, fear, and plain old luck) play a part in most battles. If they were simulated, we'd stop playing. As has been pointed out, the Japanese are more coherent (in the hands of a good player) than they were in reality because we're not simulating the Japanese High command. You could argue the US forces are the same because they're not simulating the differences between McArthur and Nimitz. Try and simulate these, and I think it would stop being fun.

All you can ask is that the simulation makes a decent stab at simulating the equipment and conditions, and then let us get on with it. In my Very humble opinion, UV manages that. Yes, there's room for a tweak or two, and I hope the improvements to Land Combat Mogami has alluded to help as I think this is UV's biggest failing, but by and large I don't think it's too far away.

Please note that all ramblings are mine and mine alone, and the numerous errors of opinion and fact are also my responsibility. I'm off to sink one of Raver's carriers.
CommC
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:48 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by CommC »

Perhaps the UV and WiTP air and CD model could be improved with some tweaking, but I think both of these are minor issues compared to some of the other problems.

As has been rehashed at length in other posts, UV and WiTP lack two features that really hamper gameplay:

1. A loss tolerance setting for air groups on naval attack. There should be at least three possible settings: 1)do not press attacks into heavy cap 2)attack into enemy CAP only if escorted or 3) attack into enemy CAP regardless of losses.

2. A ship type priority setting for air groups on naval attack. They should always attack enemy carriers if detected (this is already in UV) then they should attack other (spotted) ship types according to the player's setting. Sometimes the priority should be supply ships, sometimes tankers, sometimes troop transports and sometimes surface combat ships. This setting is essential for the player to execute his strategy and was clearly spelled out for commanders by their superior officers historically.

Without these settings, the game is nearly unplayable, or at least it is very difficult to execute a coherent strategy.

We really need these features in WiTP.... 2by3, please consider including them.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

CommC wrote:Perhaps the UV and WiTP air and CD model could be improved with some tweaking, but I think both of these are minor issues compared to some of the other problems.

As has been rehashed at length in other posts, UV and WiTP lack two features that really hamper gameplay:

1. A loss tolerance setting for air groups on naval attack. There should be at least three possible settings: 1)do not press attacks into heavy cap 2)attack into enemy CAP only if escorted or 3) attack into enemy CAP regardless of losses.

2. A ship type priority setting for air groups on naval attack. They should always attack enemy carriers if detected (this is already in UV) . . .
This is not already in UV per my post a week ago on the action off Irau. Thank you.

It should be the case, though. (If you didn't read that post my planes on Irau went for unimportant transports (which were empty--leaving Lunga not arriving) for two turns in a row instead of the enemy's CV TF parked just four hexes off Irau which had been spotted by everything in the area two days running, this to include scout planes from the USN dive-bomber squadrons which nevertheless hit those transports instead.

What the designer is trying to model with this sort of action is the "fog" and "friction" of war, but the implementation is so capricious that the result often leaves the player with a saccarine taste in his mouth.

This problem rears its ugly head because of the poor AI. My idea is to ditch the AI except in those few cases where it is absolutely necessary to rely on it. The developers seem to feel the game is more "fun" to play when these sorts of ridiculous actions ensue.
. . . then they should attack other (spotted) ship types according to the player's setting. Sometimes the priority should be supply ships, sometimes tankers, sometimes troop transports and sometimes surface combat ships. This setting is essential for the player to execute his strategy and was clearly spelled out for commanders by their superior officers historically.

Without these settings, the game is nearly unplayable, or at least it is very difficult to execute a coherent strategy.

We really need these features in WiTP.... 2by3, please consider including them.
I most certainly agree that the CD issue is of relatively minor importance compared to some of the other problems that plague the model. But that's a sad story in its own right.

Your suggestions re a hierarchy of air-attack commands are interesting. I wonder, though, if Gary's AI is capable to implement these. Good ideas all, though.

Re coherent strategy: I agree again. The simulation plays so hit and miss now that you might as well just be flipping a coin turn to turn for the results.

My newest PBEM partner, playing the Japanese, had a flight of his Bettys veritably slaughtered when they attacked my TF on Tulagi from Rabaul without a single Zero as escort, just for example. These torpedo-bombers were met by my carrier Wildcats on CAP from one hex out and they didn't stand much of a chance. That was, however, the worst defeat I've seen for Japanese air assets, escorted or no--in my experience a few Bettys usually "leak through" somehow and score.

This AAR is from that same game--I received it this morning. I haven't saved the previous AARs though I suppose I could retrieve them if necessary. This is the fourth turn out of five Tulagi has been the recipient of night attacks out of Rabaul. My night CAP is usally a couple of squadrons strong, one P39s the other P-40s set to 8000 feet (the Bettys at night always fly in at 6000 feet). Thus far I haven't done much damage to these bombers but the bombers have done plenty of damage (superficial but damage nevertheless) to my ships at anchor--these are the transports and DDs and such which were mauled by the CDs on Guadacanal three weeks prior in the game.

I can't prove it but there seems to be a bug in the code whereby a squadron set to long-range CAP at night gets switched over to Sweep with a setting of 90% CAP at its base. I've seen this three times now. At first I thought I must have hit the wrong button when assigning orders, but I'm watchful for that now so it's probably the game screwing up afterall.

Finally: I've mentioned that long-range CAP does not accrue the same fatigue hit as regular CAP. The planes in question above (this last turn I had four squadrons flying night CAP over Tulagi out of Lunga) seem to have accumulated no fatigue at all from these missions, indeed, might have actually dropped some fatigue along the way--they all stand at 9-12 fatigue with the exception of a P-39 FBS which ran up to 25 fatigue after its defeat--this squadron I transferred back to Irau and replaced with another fresh Wildcat FS off a carrier stationed at Segond Channel.

Anyway, fatigue in general is a joke and night fatigue seems more screwed-up still.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 08/30/42

Weather: Rain

Air attack on Tulagi , at 38,39 (Note: night attack.)


Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 3


Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 12
F4F-4 Wildcat x 33
P-39D Airacobra x 13


Japanese aircraft losses

G4M1 Betty x 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty x 1 damaged


Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged


Attacking Level Bombers:
2 x G4M1 Betty at 6000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Air attack on Tulagi , at 38,39


Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 54
G4M1 Betty x 12


Allied aircraft
P-40E Kittyhawk x 26


Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty x 4 damaged


Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Kittyhawk x 4 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 5 damaged


LTJG W.Murakami of F2/Tainan Daitai is credited with kill number 2

SLDR L. Jackson of No. 75 Sqn RAAF is KILLED


Allied Ships
AP Zeilin, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Port hits 1


Attacking Level Bombers:
6 x G4M1 Betty at 15000 feet
6 x G4M1 Betty at 15000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Tulagi , at 38,39 (Note: these "Zeroes" flew escort--all 42 of them!--for an "Irving" on recon and they ended up conducting a sort of "sweep" against my P-40s on CAP.)


Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
A6M3 Zero x 18
J1N1-R Irving x 2


Allied aircraft
P-40E Kittyhawk x 29

no losses


Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Kittyhawk x 5 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 damaged


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Air Combat

Post by mogami »

Hi, The Zeros did not escort the recon. They conducted a mission with the recon arriving at the same time. (If the weather had been bad over the target only the recon would have arrived.)But fighters do not escort non-offensive missions.
Non-night fighters set to night CAP are not very efficent.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

IronDuke wrote:I think the CDs issue just illustrates how difficult it is to simulate somethings. It may be one thing to say they are too effective, but unless you can illustrate exactly why they were less effective in real life, you're not going to reproduce it.

The Japanese CD units were ineffective in real life for the reason they didn't hit anything. Whether that was due to bad ammo or bad sights or bad gunners is immaterial to a model of this scale. The bottom line is Japanese CD was not particularly effective in WWII no matter how you "model" it detailwise.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Japanese CD

Post by mogami »

Hi, What are you basing your opinion that Japanese CD was ineffective? On the 1500 out of 5000 men made casualties on day one of Tarawa? (Where else did the Japanese oppose the landings?)( Iwo where it caused a large portion of the 26,000 casualties.) CD are not just guns. And they do not just target ships. They target the troops landing. CD are one of the main Japanese defensive units. Any unit that can fire out to sea or on the beach is a coast defense unit.
Or on the fact the the USN/US Army by passed the strongest enemy bases? (something that hints CD are very effective.)

In PacWar it was easy to land on bases that historically were avoided. (No CD) in WITP the Japanese will not want to vist the US West Coast (bristling with CD guns)

WITP CD units contain infantry, guns, AA, MG.

In UV player like to use them to prevent bombardment missions. The Japanese should pile them on Rabaul and Truk to help prevent landings.
The allies have many more CD units. (and once they are deployed on a base the Japanese are going to lose many AP trying to land troops)
(Of course there is no example of this from History)(Wake?)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, What are you basing your opinion that Japanese CD was ineffective? On the 1500 out of 5000 men made casualties on day one of Tarawa? (Where else did the Japanese oppose the landings?)( Iwo where it caused a large portion of the 26,000 casualties.) CD are not just guns. And they do not just target ships. They target the troops landing. CD are one of the main Japanese defensive units. Any unit that can fire out to sea or on the beach is a coast defense unit.
Or on the fact the the USN/US Army by passed the strongest enemy bases? (something that hints CD are very effective.)

In PacWar it was easy to land on bases that historically were avoided. (No CD) in WITP the Japanese will not want to vist the US West Coast (bristling with CD guns)

WITP CD units contain infantry, guns, AA, MG.

In UV player like to use them to prevent bombardment missions. The Japanese should pile them on Rabaul and Truk to help prevent landings.
The allies have many more CD units. (and once they are deployed on a base the Japanese are going to lose many AP trying to land troops)
(Of course there is no example of this from History)(Wake?)

This is pointless, Mogami.

Please take the time to read several competent histories of World War II. Then get back to me re CD.

Your well-nigh universal ignorance regarding this war, especially with regard to the details of "how" and "why" as they must impact this simulation's model is nothing short of astounding. You just say anything you want, regardless of whether it makes an ounce of sense, and then repeat it over and over as if that might upgrade its veracity. The result of this dubious input of yours is to sow confusion forumwide.

I don't mean to be cruel. I realize you wish to be helpful. But you're not--because you don't know what you're talking about.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Post by mogami »

Hi, Your well-nigh universal ignorance regarding UV/WITP, especially with regard to the details of "how" and "why" as they must impact this simulation's model is nothing short of astounding.

Why don't you stop posting on WITP. You nothing about it. Why don't you learn how to play UV before posting about bugs.

What do you know about Japanese CD units? I don't mean to be cruel but you keep spreading hog wash about the game and it's system. Then I have to follow along behind you with a pooper scooper cleaning up the mess.
In UV USN subs do not fire torpedos at barges. If they are doing so in your game it is a bug and reports for bugs have a forum (This one is not it)
My posts quoting your statements are not directed at you. I gave that up a long time ago. I just do not want people unfamilair with you or the products to think you know what you are talking about.

If you have bug reports please also send a save. Posting a bug report without a save is pointless. There might be a problem with your hardware. Certain items that are reported as bugs only occur on certain machines.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

Post by Nomad »

Could the two of you be talking about two, similar, but different things here?

Coastal Defense Guns were by defination large guns implaced mainly to fire at ships supporting a possible landing.

Coastal Defense Units were units designed to defend a beach area. They would have had infantry, mortars, machine guns, and light artillery.

It seems to me that Mogami is talking about the Coastal Defense Unit and TristanJohn is talking about Coastal Defense Guns.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, Your well-nigh universal ignorance regarding UV/WITP, especially with regard to the details of "how" and "why" as they must impact this simulation's model is nothing short of astounding.

Why don't you stop posting on WITP. You nothing about it. Why don't you learn how to play UV before posting about bugs.

What do you know about Japanese CD units? I don't mean to be cruel but you keep spreading hog wash about the game and it's system. Then I have to follow along behind you with a pooper scooper cleaning up the mess.
In UV USN subs do not fire torpedos at barges. If they are doing so in your game it is a bug and reports for bugs have a forum (This one is not it)
My posts quoting your statements are not directed at you. I gave that up a long time ago. I just do not want people unfamilair with you or the products to think you know what you are talking about.

If you have bug reports please also send a save. Posting a bug report without a save is pointless. There might be a problem with your hardware. Certain items that are reported as bugs only occur on certain machines.
You are determined to be part of the problem. As you represent the developers to the extent that you've tested the post-release version of UV at some stage and are part of the alph test team for WitP this probably speaks volumes as to why UV v2.30 is not better rendered even at this late date, and it is also probably the case (unfortunately) that your further involvement in the WitP project will only help to lead it down the same misguided development path.

I have nothing against you personally, Mogami--other than your penchant for ad hominem remarks in response to me at times (though I'm convinced you didn't even know you were actually making that mistake) and then of course this sort of reply, but even here I think I understand--as you apparently imagine I'm here to just make fun of you.

In that you're mistaken again.

My only purpose in this forum is to light a medium-sized fire under Gary, if possible, something which obviously has not been done to date and will certainly not be accomplished by the happy-faced warm-and-fuzzy "loyal" support group he's chosen to surround himself with. The designer of this game does not need positive feedback in the nature of "Wow! That's a really neat feature, Gary!" What he needs, what every designer needs is critical feedback, especially with regard to just how well all those really "neat" features actually fit into the greater scheme of the simulation.

I almost fell over backward yesterday or the day before when the head playtester delivered himself to the curious opinion that a large wall-mounted laminated map marked up all over the place with a grease pencil was just the ticket for keeping track of the WitP spotting information, but hell, by now one might suppose nothing I heard from "your group" would surprise.

Whatever. I'll continue to point out mistakes in the model, both in terms of detail and how these mistakes diminish the simulation's equilibrium of historical play, and you'll continue to find reasons why these mistakes aren't really mistakes at all but only more really "neat" features that I'm just not smart enough to comprehend. You see I know you and I are bound to go through these motions, and this is because I know you and I entertain radically different agendas.

I want a simulation that functions as well as possible; you merely want a really "neat" game.

Different strokes for different folks.

I can live with that. Can you, Mogami?
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”