Beta has expired???

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Post Reply
Dalwin
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 pm

Beta has expired???

Post by Dalwin »

When launching the game, as soon as I get to the screen with the map in the background, I get a message saying that "Beta has expired." It then drops back to the desktop.

At no point have I ever downloaded any version of beta for this game. I am playing the Steam release default version.
User avatar
Uxbridge
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:16 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by Uxbridge »

Dalwin
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 pm

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by Dalwin »

Thanks. I joined in on that thread.
guggy
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:32 pm
Location: París, FRANCE

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by guggy »

Pretty sure everyone will end up in this thread today [8|]
User avatar
Franciscus
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Portugal

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by Franciscus »

With the open beta (08U1) this seems to not occur.
I suppose this may have to do with Unity engine

Hope Alvaro and Matrix launch a hotfix ASAP...
Former AJE team member
MorningDew
Posts: 1145
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 pm
Location: Greenville, SC

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by MorningDew »

Getting the same - and I updated using the Launcher.
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Im on it. Must of forgot to turn off the beta flag.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
PanzerMike
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 am

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by PanzerMike »

Alvaro,why build in a beta expiration flag at all??
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by AlvaroSousa »

It is to protect the work of an indie developer. To put a scope on this with all the hours I have put in till today I have made around $9 an hour for my time after expenses. So any nefarious wrong doing by someone openly spreading the game to players would be really damaging.

This is my opinion. The money from developing wargames comes from royalties over time. The first game is the toughest because it takes so long to do. You learn new ways to do things easy and reuse them in future games. Like pathfinding, or a hex map system that were developed and improved during the first run. In today's case making sure I have a text that says "this is a beta version" so I don't make this same mistake again. Then games after the 1st one become easier and easier and the money catches up. I estimate it will take about a decade before things catch up with 3-4 games under my belt and a steady middle class income. Which is great for working in my pajamas.

If someone pirated my 1st game. That would be catastrophic. Civil court won't help.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Steam .72 is up.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I am going to walk my dog. I just tested the .72 and it works. So keep checking the Matrix updater.

One thing you will find is a new yes/no for saves
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
sillyflower
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Back in Blighty

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by sillyflower »

I am confused (again) because I don't have the beta - just the .07 patch + the hotfix, but I'm still being told that a beta I do not have (because I don't know how to install betas in this game) has expired.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
User avatar
Franciscus
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 pm
Location: Portugal

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

I am confused (again) because I don't have the beta - just the .07 patch + the hotfix, but I'm still being told that a beta I do not have (because I don't know how to install betas in this game) has expired.


Don't worry.

Just grab patch .072, either from file downloads or via the Matrix updater and all will be good.


Cheers
Former AJE team member
User avatar
Manstein63
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 pm

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by Manstein63 »

It should be up in the updater shortly just upgrade as you £I’d for the earlier patches
ORIGINAL: sillyflower

I am confused (again) because I don't have the beta - just the .07 patch + the hotfix, but I'm still being told that a beta I do not have (because I don't know how to install betas in this game) has expired.
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
MorningDew
Posts: 1145
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 pm
Location: Greenville, SC

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by MorningDew »

Is it working from the updater? Mine still shows expired and the launcher says I have the more recent version.
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I PMed you Andrew
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
sillyflower
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Back in Blighty

RE: Beta has expired???

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz

Is it working from the updater? Mine still shows expired and the launcher says I have the more recent version.
I had the same problem and even trying to reinstall the game kept failing to reinstall. I just got my steam code and installation was hassle-free, so I can now play once more, and Alvaro will get another positive steam review as soon as his cheque clears[:D]
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Post Reply

Return to “WarPlan”