USN air combat data from Office of Naval Intelligence

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

OOPs...,FORGOT SOMETHING.

Post by Mike Scholl »

Mike Scholl wrote:Your post of multiple results in a controlled set of circumstances is what
I'd hoped Mogami would come to. He never quite got there. From what you
report, it would seem the Zero's advantage is somewhat higher than it should
probably be. I would have expected something closer to 1 : 1.25 or so in the
Zero's favor just as aircraft (at 10,000 feet). But at least it's a usable set
of numbers for comparisons. Have you run any others? Be nice to have some
more comparisons. And thanks for the effor.
I MISSED SOMETHING! There is a variable we ought to look at in those
numbers. ALTITUDE. I don't suppose you would consider running some
additional rounds of the test above at say 25,000 feet? See if the F4F's
improve? Someone earlier posted some very usefull comparisons showing
the change in performance in these two aircraft as the altitudes increased.
Maybe that IS factored into the equasions. Be a useful thing to know.
Drongo
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:03 pm
Location: Melb. Oztralia

Post by Drongo »

mdiehl wrote:Well, on reflection that is a very good question. I don't know that they could be assumed to be able to deal effectively or more effectively based on their prior combat experience. But hasn't that sort of assumption been the general thrust of the widely recognized or assumed phenom that a little bit of combat experience really goes a long way towards improving a pilot? Or are we just wondering about how much EXP gain comes from a particularly impressive experience?

Maybe so. So how does one implement it. How much gain from the information vuirus? And how does this in-the-field virus differ from gains realized by rotating veteran Allied pilots into training areas? If they're different, then probably there should be some sort of viral model for Japanese learning as well. Just not one that trickles very strongly into the rear areas where training occurs (because of absence of pilot rotation).

No, no no! That's precisely my point. Was this typical of engagements between P38s and Oscars I doubt it but do not know for sure. Anyone got data? More importantly, if P38 drivers ran into Oscar pilots that were not so skilled, would they learn the sort of impressive lesson that these guys (may have) learned by ecnountering a very skilled Oscar pilot? I guess what I'm driving at is that if the Oscar pilots weren't so skilled then there's no compelling experience to drive new thinking on how a P38 deals with an Oscar. Until the P38s have encountered this particular phenomenon it may seem like there's no particular problem there to be solved.

Fair enough. I tend to have a different POV on the plane vs pilot thing anyhow.. I tend to think of pilot skill being less a "continuous" variable than one with a few strong modes. IMO, an "adequately trained pilot who is comfortable with and knowledgeable about his plane" will usually defeat a "highly experience pilot (who is comfortable and familiar with his plane)" if the merely "asequate" pilot has a vastly superior plane. We can imagine that P38s encountered maneuverable Oscars so maybe ought to have solved some of this problem before the anecdotal incident occurred. Of course, if lots of Oscars didn't know that deflection shooting was easier in a P38 (because one did not have to deal with wing-gun convergence) then maybe it took a while for Oscar pilots to know just how reactive they had to be.

Well, OK. But shouldn't that imply that 30 Zekes fight about as well as 20 F4Fs or something roughly LIKE that?

Yeah. And it's a puzzler to me too. Kido Butai flew with radios and good discipline in 1941-1942. 25th AF did not do so well. What's the deal? Better maintenance techs on Japanese CVs than for land based units? More frequent trips home thus more access to spare parts or replacements?
Sorry if the above looks like you've gone insane but I haven't quite got the hang of the me quoting you quoting me bit.

Anyway,
Do you always have to start off by making a post with a "brook no arguements", "this is how it should be" style and then only be prepared to talk the real deal in later posts, after someone has taken the bait?

As a brief response:
We agree that both sides could have viral learning but each would occur differently due to their unique approach. I also think that the Allies were better able to institutionalise these lessons by their method of training, pilot rotation, etc. I assume you do as well.

The basic lessons of air combat, learned through training and experience are vital for survival in the environment but how effective a pilot/airgroup will be beyond that is influenced by a whole host of other factors as well (leadership, environment, a/c differences and whether or not they can be utilised in a particular engagement, individual pilot qualities, etc). I feel that air combat is way too complex to point to a particular factor and say "this happened and therefore this will be the result (ie sufficient experience to handle the same situation next time)". I do agree that any air combat experience that is survived should be of some benefit but I certainly can't quantify that benefit except by guessing.

P-38s vs Oscars with pilots of varying skills? There are so many different possibilities, situations and explanations that I'm not going to try to start discussing it in detail. As far as I'm concerned, when pilots were equal, the P-38 would dominate an engagement in the majority of possible situations. I have no definitive view on how to measure pilot skill against aircraft qualities. All I know is that those 2 seperate engagements mentioned earlier happened and therefore I would assume a probability (reduced or not) most likely exists that it will happen again.

The other examples you asked about. Maybe I should've qualified my 'I know' with 'because I once read' an official account of what was a minor scandal (for want of a better term) in 1943 where several P-38 squadrons were roughly handled by the JAAF (primarily Ki-43s) in their initial encounters despite solid combat training in doctine/tactics and despite experienced leaders and a small core of experienced fliers in each group. This went beyond the normal problems of introducing new or transitioned squadrons to combat. While their losses weren't that bad, they were bad enough for the time and situation (allied air dominance) to be called embarrassing. I'll see if I can get hold of the account again (it wasn't online unfortunately).

30 Zekes fight about the equivalent as 20 F4Fs? You mean viewing them as 10 tactical units apiece? Only if you are ignoring the Shotai's ability to absorb a loss without completely ceasing to exist. This (effectively) inbuilt redundancy was wasteful but still brought benefits. My own view is that 27 A6Ms were required to give the same tactical flexibility as 24 F4Fs. This comparison will hold only as long as each side maintains cohesion at each tactical level (division, flight, section).

On cohesion, as mentioned before, my view is that the IJN pre-war trained pilots would not lose co-ordination any faster than the best of the USN formations but the down side is that it has to be accepted that it took more training to keep a Sentai/Chutai/Shotai's together in combat than the US tactical units (workable radios were a big help here).

While on radios, my understanding is that the carrier based A6M squadrons weren't really better served by their radios than their land based compatriots but rather that they kept them because using the radio to follow a signal was often the only way they could be sure of finding the carriers again. The real problem with the A6M and its radio was poor placement and shielding, the resulting static usually making them near useless for voice communication.

Cheers
Have no fear,
drink more beer.
Drongo
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:03 pm
Location: Melb. Oztralia

Post by Drongo »

Mike Scholl wrote:I MISSED SOMETHING! There is a variable we ought to look at in those numbers. ALTITUDE. I don't suppose you would consider running some additional rounds of the test above at say 25,000 feet? See if the F4F's improve? Someone earlier posted some very usefull comparisons showing the change in performance in these two aircraft as the altitudes increased.
Maybe that IS factored into the equasions. Be a useful thing to know.
Mike, I did run a set of tests with the F4F-4s having a 5,000 ft advantage. It made no discernable difference to the 10 tests. This is not to say the effects of having superior starting altitude is not in the current alpha or that it will never be in the game. All the time I was playing UV, I was never able to see any proof that one side having a higher altitude translated to them getting an advantage from it. I think Mike Wood is the best person to comment.

As to other remarks posted in the forum about the test set,

1) If people wish to compare the overall test kill ratio with that Mdiehl's figures (or any others) for Gudalcanal, allow for the fact that the Japanese were not flying 560 miles to engage the F4Fs. It would have a big impact on their fatigue at the point of combat.

2) Loss consistency - The A6M tended to consistently do better. This is in line with their current game stats vs those of the F4F. What needs to be noted is that there were extreme results in the test batch (0 for 5, 1 for 7, etc) and that these results naturally tended to favour the superior a/c, thereby possibly exaggerating the final differences. As far as I can tell, these extreme results are resulting from those situations where the A6Ms are getting what Mike Wood described as "the advantage" several times in one combat. This is a tester observation only, not a 2x3 fact.

3) Loss % - I fell asleep during TIMJOTs analysis of the figures but I think he stated that a loss of 4 a/c represented 17% of the force involved (which would mean 24 a/c). The actual forces involved were 36 a/c each side, each combat. They came from 2 x 24 squadrons each (not all were committed). Four a/c lost in that situation would represent 11% of the total aircraft involved and 8.3% of the total forces available (48) to each side.

4) I was going to run P-40Es vs A6Ms through a test set at some point over the weekend but if there is a particular set of tests people wish to see run (that is in line with the simple test environment as given), feel free to make suggestions.

Cheers
Have no fear,
drink more beer.
HMSWarspite
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:38 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Post by HMSWarspite »

Drongo wrote: 3) Loss % - I fell asleep during TIMJOTs analysis of the figures but I think he stated that a loss of 4 a/c represented 17% of the force involved (which would mean 24 a/c). The actual forces involved were 36 a/c each side, each combat. They came from 2 x 24 squadrons each (not all were committed). Four a/c lost in that situation would represent 11% of the total aircraft involved and 8.3% of the total forces available (48) to each side.

Cheers

It wasn't TIMJOT, it was me, and you are right, I didn't read properly. You can pretty much ignore my thoughts on the rate of losses in that test.

Note to self: READ THE QUESTION! :(
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, The 2.30 version of the Beaufighter is a result of Forum poster requests (Aussies)
The bombload was 2x250lb bombs in early versions. Later versions had wings strengthed for 1000 lb bombs but the engines for this were not available.
You don't know what you're talking about. The only "wing strengthening" the Beaufighter was treated to was in its original design and that was to take up the increase in vibration caused by the change of engines from the Beaufort (Taurus) to the Beaufighter's Hercules. This problem the designers got around by moving the engines forward, away from the front surface of the wings, and to compensate for this new stronger and more flexible struts were built. With the engine vibration effectively dampened, a new problem arose: unfortunately this move forward of the engines caused the c.g. to shift forward as well and so more engineering thought had to be invested, with the end result the Beaufighter ended up with a "nose job." (In retrospect the same question of balance might well have been solved even more elegantly, simply by providing for, instead of a single .303 Vickers or Browning in the dorsal a twin-.50-caliber arrangement--this would probably have added to the plane's gross weight but then speed and climb rate were never this plane's forte anyway and the latter armament would have put out a helluva lot more lead.)

As for the engines: the power necessary for 2,000-pound missions was already there. Throughout the war the ongoing series Rolls-Royce Merlin engines enjoyed ever-increasing power output through the simple expedient of adding large amounts of of tetra-ethy lead to up their octane ratings. As it turned out, the Bristol Hercules line for whatever reasons did not enjoy the same upgrade path with regard to increased engine performance and by the time the Beaufighter Mark VI was in production the Bristols had pretty much seen their best power-output specs.

In late 1941 the Beaufighter did see a suspension of shipments of the Hercules engines (these were transferred to the Shorts Stirling project) and so was forced to use Merlins instead, but the intervening models were experimental only and with the introduction of the Mark VI the Beaufighter once again found itself powered by Hercules.

In any event, the Beaufighter never received any engine upgrades after its Mark X series was introduced and the Mark VI very much most definitely ain't no doubt about it and I don't care what the Aussies in this forum believe was rated for a payload of not 500 pounds and not 1,000 pounds but a full ton, or, should you prefer, 2X454kg bombs.

There are references to the wing machine guns needing to be removed in order to fit the rockets but I can't run this down in any more detail. If anyone else can it might prove helpful to the project.

In any event. the Beaufighter normally was used as a torpedo-bomber and on ASW patrol (with its thimble-nosed AI which proved quite effective in this role) and this plane's range in the UV database is also completely screwed up, indeed, screwed up by an amazing factor of .50.

The Beaufighter's range needs to be D-O-U-B-L-E-D. And that's W-I-T-H torpedo loads.
The Beaufighter did operate at night in the Pacific but as a strike aircraft. (If you have data on night fighters in Pacific post that so it can be used)
As a matter of fact I don't have that data but I'd be interested to see it, either way, mind you. Most Beafighters in the Pacific were flown by Australians, New Zealanders and British--only a few went to USAAF units. I am not a "Beaufighter advocate" or particular fan of the airplane in any manner, Mogami, I just want to see the database corrected. But I've only so much time to run this stuff down and besides, WWII isn't even my primary area of interest.

Do some research yourself. These details ought to have been gotten right the first time. And were not. (To be off anywhere by a factor of 2 suggests whoever did do it might well be incompetent.)

For sure and for certain when a Beaufighter went up at night it was equipped with AI. What role it might have been used in while "up there" by whomever I don't know.

As long as we're on night-fighters, though: the two P-38s equipped with radar assigned to the Solomons during the Guadacanal campaign for night-fighter coverage are not in the UV database, either. Now I understand Gary probably left these out intentionally for the reason UV isn't articulated to employ single planes in the interception role but rather has to use entire squadrons. For this reason it'd be a good idea to put on the old WitP wish list the ability not to be able to break down squadrons into three parts but rather by individual planes, for in fact this is quite often what a night-fighter CAP patrol consisted of--one plane. This would also help with allocation of patrol assets on outlying islands for both the Japanese and Allied sides.
Back to durability of P-47's again heh?
Look, the P-47 could very well have been the most durable plane of any description up until that point in history, probably was, and might well be the most durable plane ever up to the advent of the Warthog. It was built like some impossible tank with wing growths and nobody who's anybody in aviation with experience in the P-47 and its contemporary aircraft disputes this.

To rate a "Betty" (of all planes! :)) anywhere near a P-47 in terms of DURABILITY is just plain s-t-u-p-i-d. But then the UV database is chock full of s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y so why should anyone be surprised?

Of course the designers can always rely on you to both apologize for this s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y and try to shout me down simultaneously while they dutifully copy all this s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y over to WitP in an effort to keep the Aussies on this board sweet, or so you've told me, and I guess that's what passes for enlightened game-development management philosophy these days.

Good show all around. :)
You still don't know if Japanese durabilty is the same as allied durability.
Now there's intelligence. :)
(The designer knows the weaopons effects better then you do and assigns durabilty based on things you know nothing of. You might as well post "P-47 and Betty are both given 2 wings"

In combat the P-47 has a much better survial rate compared to Betty. That is purpose of ratings. If Allied weapons (4 or more .30cal or .50 cal weapons ) are compared to Japanese weapons (2x7.7mm 12.7mm 20mm) And these rating are what decide durabilty your argument falls flat on its face.

I have a hard time finding fault with things I can see. I can't see you don't have the same problem. You don't know what the numbers mean or how they interact. Yet still here you are blowing your horn to the same old tune.

Why don't you go take a long nap and then buy the game when it is released.
(You are the one person I am certain can't wait to get his hands on WITP just to tear it apart) So just take deep breaths and wait. Someday you can log on and proudly proclaim "See I told you, it sucks, see I was right, see" Only everyone will be off playing and having a great time.
Whatever, Mogami. Happily march to your grave a stupid, ineffective and obstructionist man--yet a "hero" on these boards--and don't forget to collect your free copy of WitP for your trouble.

For my part, I'll continue to point out how factually balled-up this project is, point out why it's factually balled up, point out how it might become something factually better in spite of your involvement.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

mdiehl wrote:I guess I just don't give a rip about UV.

I see that Mogami has posted "alpha test" results from WitP that seem, to me, to be in the ballpark. We can call the collective specs in the data tables the "Peanut Butter and Jelly Factor" and give the Zeke 63 of these and the F4F eleven, and attribute the difference to simultaneous capture of a particularly infamous warehouse full of USDA peanut butter in the basement of the American Embassy in Japan and an outbreak of legume leaf-blight in Georgia. If I see long-term early war loss ratios on the order of 1:1 to 1.3:1 favoring the Japanese in engagements vs land based F4Fs under rather typical operating conditions, I'll be content with that.

If the ratios favor Japan 1.5:1 then, if in most other respects the model works well, I may yet buy the game. If I see something really bizarre, I won't.

If I see AARS where the Allies gamely ante up their F4F groups, go two months of daily or bi-weekly combats with a consistent mean loss ratio of 1.3:1 favoring the Japanese, and at the end of those two months there are not rather sudden reverals in the loss ratio owing to the growing scarcity of talented Japanese pilots, I probably won't buy it.

If I see that the optimal strategy for the Allied player is to never risk CVs in head to head encounters with an equal number of Japanese CVs beginning on 7 December 1941 because the American can expect to lose, something that isn't a very accurate model IMO, I'll definitiely avoid it.

Well, all that's fair enough with regard to FvF engagements but the game is about more than just that and I'm telling you flat out it's royally screwed up in just about all possible areas. There simply isn't time to get into it all in sufficient detail.

As for what results you're likely to see from FvF engagements in WitP, who could say? This game system seems to be subject to some strange sort of "new five-year plan every three years review-by-committee" syndrome so while I certainly wish both you and I the best my counsel would be not to hold your breath.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Improvements

Post by mogami »

Hi, Well I tried to show that durabiltiy had to measure how much damage any aircraft could absorb.

If a 7.7mm does 1 point of damage when it hits and Japanese ac carry 2 7.7mg then a P-47 would need to be hit 20 times before it was destroyed.

If a .303 or.30 cal does 1 point of damage and Allied aircraft carry 4 mg then a Betty would only need to be hit 10 times to be destroyed. The Betty would only be half as durable.

I know we could then argue both ac are in fact taking the same amout of damage but since the model tries to simplify things the actual fact is still the Betty is not as durable. It is both slower and less manouverable so it is much easier to hit. Then add in the fact that many Allied aircraft are armed with 4-8 .50 cal machine guns (and they inflict more damage then 303 .30 7.7mm) The Betty is even less durable compared to a P-47. So in fact allied durabilty is not the same as Japanese durability. Because the designer incorperates the effects of the weapons that will be used to inflict damage. (If the Japanese had armed their ac with .50 cal then the P-47 durabilty would have been raised to 100. (or something higher then a Betty)

I believe aircraft can also be destroyed by a single hit. If the hit is on the pilot or fuel tank. Armor is both protection for pilot and self sealing fuel tanks.
Lack of armor on Betty allows it to be destroyed by single hits while the P-47's armor greatly reduces this chance.

As a result of other factors the P-47 remains much more durable when compared to the Betty dispite their having the exact same rating. It is because of this I say you cannot critise the database without understanding everything that goes into assigning any rating.

This does not mean ratings will not be altered before final version.

I'll let the Beaufighter experts disscuss the various reasons why the Beaufighter appears in UV as it does. (It was orginally a medium bomber (torpedo) but changed to Fighter Bomber by request)

The programmers and designers believe that the final product should make the end users happy. When enough people make a single request the product changes. So I admit this sometimes replaces what was orginally intended. But the product is a game not a military conflict simulator. The end users can also alter anything they want. The database is not being hard coded.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, My last Coral Sea air to air results were 7 Zeros, 1 F4F 9 SBD 1 TBF shotdown in air to air. (total for both sides in battle) (The USN escorted with 26 fighters and kept 12 on CAP) (USN had 2 strikes 1 with 9 F4F other with 17 F4F)
All combat was in PM phase weather prevented AM strikes

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/06/42

Air attack on TF at 61,98

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 28

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9
SBD Dauntless x 36
TBD Devastator x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged
TBD Devastator x 1 destroyed


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 61,98

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 17
SBD Dauntless x 36
TBD Devastator x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 3 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 29 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 13 damaged
TBD Devastator x 5 destroyed
TBD Devastator x 7 damaged


Air attack on TF at 60,99

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29
D3A Val x 45
B5N Kate x 48

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 3 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged
D3A Val x 18 destroyed
D3A Val x 34 damaged
B5N Kate x 14 destroyed
B5N Kate x 39 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 damaged


The combat report text is as usual inflated in both Air to air and AA loss reports.
Again: this is wrong and one of the more pressing problems with the system. You can't have all these attacking aircraft swarming in at one time on a CV TF's CAP and expect realistic results. It didn't happen that way and this extremely false mechanic is one very large reason why battles are too bloody and the early-war results, especially in those incredible scenarios #17 and #19, tend to be generally skewed in favor of the Japanese.

There are other issue as well, but super attacks of bombers is the most critical.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:I know we could then argue both ac are in fact taking the same amout of damage but since the model tries to simplify things the actual fact is still the Betty is not as durable. It is both slower and less manouverable so it is much easier to hit.
The model "simplifies" things all right.

The "Betty" was not only less maneuverable and larger and so easier to hit but ALSO VERY MUCH INDEED LESS DURABLE on top of that. In fact it often went BOOM!!! when hit with a .50 caliber or .30 or much of anything at all. For all I know they went BOOM!!! just because of a bad hair day. One thing is sure: a lot them went BOOM!!! while not very many P-47s did.

You could shoot at a Thunderbolt all day and all night with .30 and do nothing more useful, as a rule, than uselessly expend your ammo.

If DURABILITY doesn't really mean DURABILITY then what the hell's it in there for to begin with?

The model's confused from A to Z and the ratings plugged into it are, from what I can tell, off by truly amazing factors in all too many cases. The resut of that has to be, as it is, very bad results.

Why are you surprised with this, why do you keep denying it?
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

Post by Nikademus »

Tristanjohn wrote:
Look, the P-47 could very well have been the most durable plane of any description up until that point in history, probably was, and might well be the most durable plane ever up to the advent of the Warthog. It was built like some impossible tank with wing growths and nobody who's anybody in aviation with experience in the P-47 and its contemporary aircraft disputes this.
The P-47 has oft been described as possibly the most durable single seat fighter (or plane). The difference is subtle but signifigant. Not sure myself, the Stormovik might have something to say about that.

To rate a "Betty" (of all planes! :)) anywhere near a P-47 in terms of DURABILITY is just plain s-t-u-p-i-d. But then the UV database is chock full of s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y so why should anyone be surprised?

Of course the designers can always rely on you to both apologize for this s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y and try to shout me down simultaneously while they dutifully copy all this s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y over to WitP in an effort to keep the Aussies on this board sweet, or so you've told me, and I guess that's what passes for enlightened game-development management philosophy these days.
The secret's out......Matrix is rulled by Aussies. ****...someone talked!

It could also be suggested that to not consider that DUR can also include a plane's size and the resultant redundancy of it's systems is an examle of I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E. :)

I've no doubt that inch for inch, a P-47 is better protected and more DURable than a G4M, however a G4M is much larger, has more crew and has two engines vs one and thus even unarmored, can potentially soak up alot of bullets before going down. The lack of self sealers is of course it's biggest weakness, but more on that below.

I'm sure you'll find plenty here to object too.....but evidence from Guadalcanal would support this theory. The G4M has oft been characterized as a "flying Zippo" easy to destroy with a single burst. I had no problem with this myself but one quote from a man who would know disturbed me. His name was Joe Foss, and in an interview he stated that he didn't consider the G4M a "zippo" or an "easy mark"

Richard Frank's and John Lundstrom's books would seem to confirm Foss's eyewitness remarks......even in the most heavy air engagements, one did not see G4M's falling like leaves in the Autumn after slashing F4F passes. While damaged and suffering crew casualties no doubt, often the planes kept flying though a good # with the limp of damaged property.

In the largest single air battle over G....a whopping 3 G4M's went down. hardly sounds like a "Flying Zippo" to me. Dont misinterpret me now......a B25 or better a B-17 would have far greater survival mainly because its self sealers all but gurantee no fire and fire is the greatest danger to an aircraft. (i consider self sealers even more important than armor) However the Betty and Nell remain medium bombers, i.e. big bombers, not tactical bombers or fighters and thus unless you quickly hit a vulerable area with sustained fire, it could prove resistant. Whether or not it becomes a write off after the battle is another question. (and many G4M's did)

As far as the "game" is considered. Well, i dont know what results you are getting but i've yet to see a situation where G4M's (or G3M's) do not suffer well from Allied attacks unless they have a good sized escort. In short, i see no evidence of a great ahistorical inaccuracy inherrant in UV regarding the Betty and the Nell. They are potentially dangerous but require heavy escort unless one wishes to suffer 20-40% attrition per engagement and Japan as is well known has only so many decent pilots. Gee....maybe the DUR rating of the G4M is fine after all.
For my part, I'll continue to point out how factually balled-up this project is, point out why it's factually balled up, point out how it might become something factually better in spite of your involvement.
Have you been? I hadn't noticed. Usually all i see are insults, usually aimed at Mogami, but then again maybe he has also come under the influence of.........The Aussies

:D
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:I'll let the Beaufighter experts disscuss the various reasons why the Beaufighter appears in UV as it does. (It was orginally a medium bomber (torpedo) but changed to Fighter Bomber by request)
From what I see there are no "Beaufort experts" on your team but rather a pack of "well-meaning amateurs" who in spite of their devotion to the WitP project continue to botch their work.

Well, meaning well but then botching your work anyway at end of day doesn't cut it. Mathematical models are either right or to varying degrees wrong. And when someone (and I mean anyone) points out a factual error then a reasonable response would be to politely acknowledge this error and make every effort to correct it ASAP.

As that has not been the feedback I've recieved to date I take this project to be run by unreasonable (and not so well-meaning afterall as it turns out) men.

That's my reasoning and if you can find a flaw in it please point this out to me.
The programmers and designers believe that the final product should make the end users happy.
I've no interest to make the "Aussies" and "Axis fanboys" and "Gee, it's good enough for me"-types on this board "happy." I only want to get the model right, or as close to right as possible. My further contention is that these "others" will buy it just as fast if it's right as if it's wrong, so why not make it right instead?
When enough people make a single request the product changes.
Oh, I see. It doesn't matter if someone points out an actual error, "enough people" need to point it out or that just doesn't count.

Brilliant! :)
So I admit this sometimes replaces what was orginally intended. But the product is a game not a military conflict simulator. The end users can also alter anything they want. The database is not being hard coded.
That's nothing but sheer bs.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Nikademus wrote:The P-47 has oft been described as possibly the most durable single seat fighter (or plane). The difference is subtle but signifigant. Not sure myself, the Stormovik might have something to say about that.



The secret's out......Matrix is rulled by Aussies. ****...someone talked!

It could also be suggested that to not consider that DUR can also include a plane's size and the resultant redundancy of it's systems is an examle of I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E. :)

I've no doubt that inch for inch, a P-47 is better protected and more DURable than a G4M, however a G4M is much larger, has more crew and has two engines vs one and thus even unarmored, can potentially soak up alot of bullets before going down. The lack of self sealers is of course it's biggest weakness, but more on that below.

I'm sure you'll find plenty here to object too.....but evidence from Guadalcanal would support this theory. The G4M has oft been characterized as a "flying Zippo" easy to destroy with a single burst. I had no problem with this myself but one quote from a man who would know disturbed me. His name was Joe Foss, and in an interview he stated that he didn't consider the G4M a "zippo" or an "easy mark"

Richard Frank's and John Lundstrom's books would seem to confirm Foss's eyewitness remarks......even in the most heavy air engagements, one did not see G4M's falling like leaves in the Autumn after slashing F4F passes. While damaged and suffering crew casualties no doubt, often the planes kept flying though a good # with the limp of damaged property.

In the largest single air battle over G....a whopping 3 G4M's went down. hardly sounds like a "Flying Zippo" to me. Dont misinterpret me now......a B25 or better a B-17 would have far greater survival mainly because its self sealers all but gurantee no fire and fire is the greatest danger to an aircraft. (i consider self sealers even more important than armor) However the Betty and Nell remain medium bombers, i.e. big bombers, not tactical bombers or fighters and thus unless you quickly hit a vulerable area with sustained fire, it could prove resistant. Whether or not it becomes a write off after the battle is another question. (and many G4M's did)

As far as the "game" is considered. Well, i dont know what results you are getting but i've yet to see a situation where G4M's (or G3M's) do not suffer well from Allied attacks unless they have a good sized escort. In short, i see no evidence of a great ahistorical inaccuracy inherrant in UV regarding the Betty and the Nell. They are potentially dangerous but require heavy escort unless one wishes to suffer 20-40% attrition per engagement and Japan as is well known has only so many decent pilots. Gee....maybe the DUR rating of the G4M is fine after all.



Have you been? I hadn't noticed. Usually all i see are insults, usually aimed at Mogami, but then again maybe he has also come under the influence of.........The Aussies

:D
The simple point is the "Betty" wasn't as durable as a P-47. If you want to argue otherwise, be my guest.

As for what you see: if you had an ounce of sense and altrusitic bent and integrity you'd "see" that I've busted my butt trying to point out some of this game's more obvious flaws and along the way I've also suggested intelligent ways to improve matters.

Now how about if you just take a long walk off a short pier, and while you're all wet out there be sure to say hello to your good pal Mogami.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

Post by Nikademus »

Tristanjohn wrote:The simple point is the "Betty" wasn't as durable as a P-47. If you want to argue otherwise, be my guest.

As for what you see: if you had an ounce of sense and altrusitic bent and integrity you'd "see" that I've busted my butt trying to point out some of this game's more obvious flaws and along the way I've also suggested intelligent ways to improve matters.

Now how about if you just take a long walk off a short pier, and while you're all wet out there be sure to say hello to your good pal Mogami.

I'VE BEEN INSULTED!!!!

I MUST RESPOND!



no i dont...... :p


Thanks for proving my point. :D
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Durabilty

Post by mogami »

Hi, Only a complete idiot would continue to argue that in the game's play and results the Betty is as durable as a P-47 (even with the on the surface same ratings)

Hello? The proof is in the pudding. The Betty is much easier to shoot down then the P-47 DURING THE EXECUTION OF THE GAME. Just close your eyes to the ratings YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN OR HOW THEY WORK. Just look at the results. The data base and formulas are there to produce the results. When the Betty out survives or matches P-47s in combat you can post your shrill cries of "Foul" As long as Betties suffer the extreamly higher combat loss I think the model is working. The game is not about assigning numbers in database. It is about producing results.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

Post by Nikademus »

Mogami!!!!

I thought you had taken that long walk off the short pier! Me, i forgot my swim trunks anyway. :D

results??????? we don need no stinkin RESULTS!!!!!

the models WRONG!!!!

FOUL!!!!!

AXIS FANBOYISM!!!!!!

BOOGA BOOGA!!!

:D :rolleyes: :D :eek: :eek:
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Axis fan boyism

Post by mogami »

Hi, What is really funny to me is being called Axis Fanboy. I play 50 games as Allies for every 1 game I play as Japan. I just don't want to cheat the little weinners out of anything.

If they had it, give it to them
If they could have done it, let em

I don't care. I know the Allies are bigger and meaner and can run circles around whatever the Japanese try to do. The only thing is the Allies can never try to play the same game. (Before late 1943)
The fun for the Allies (read USN) before 1943 is out foxing the Japanese. Be where the Japanese think can't be. Not to fight where and when the Japanese want to fight. And finally ambushing the Japanese. This does not have to be with CV. You can ambush the Japanese by having 200 aircraft where he thinks only 50 are present. Or having 2 divisions waiting where he thinks a RCT is the max present.

After you give the Japanese a bloody nose you grab hold of their ears and just start kneeing their face. (Lock them in a air battle for several weeks/months)

The USN has to absorb a certain amount of loss getting the IJN reduced to a nonfactor but after that its all gravey.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, Only a complete idiot would continue to argue that in the game's play and results the Betty is as durable as a P-47 (even with the on the surface same ratings)

Hello? The proof is in the pudding. The Betty is much easier to shoot down then the P-47 DURING THE EXECUTION OF THE GAME. Just close your eyes to the ratings YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN OR HOW THEY WORK. Just look at the results. The data base and formulas are there to produce the results. When the Betty out survives or matches P-47s in combat you can post your shrill cries of "Foul" As long as Betties suffer the extreamly higher combat loss I think the model is working. The game is not about assigning numbers in database. It is about producing results.

I've looked at the results and I've "felt" how how the game plays real time and my impression is it's phoney as a three-dollar bill.

If and when the formulas are released so this "peoples wargame" might be more closely analyzed with respect to its combat mechanics then perhaps some progress might be made with regard to how modifiers are arrived at with regard to their raw values and how these mysterious things are then actually plugged into those formulas with an eye to making things better there, too. And I say "perhaps" for the reason there's no guarantee even then that Gary would bother to listen or wouldn't just allow some other idle "Aussie request" down the road to ball it up all over again.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

LOL

Post by mogami »

"If and when the formulas are released so this "peoples wargame" might be more closely analyzed "


:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL stop it, I blew beer out my nose and all over my keyboard and moniter....


LOL I'm crying,,,,,,help me I've fallen and I can't get up (more beer blowing out my nose) LOL LOL

He wants to analyize the formulas LOL LOL LOL



You slay me.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

Post by Tristanjohn »

Mogami wrote:Hi, What is really funny to me is being called Axis Fanboy.
I didn't call you (necessarily--actually I don't think you happen to be) an Axis fanboy but those types do populate these boards and add their collective voice to the cacophony of idiotic noise which exists in this forum.
I don't care. I know the Allies are bigger and meaner and can run circles around whatever the Japanese try to do. The only thing is the Allies can never try to play the same game. (Before late 1943)

The fun for the Allies (read USN) before 1943 is out foxing the Japanese. Be where the Japanese think can't be. Not to fight where and when the Japanese want to fight. And finally ambushing the Japanese. This does not have to be with CV. You can ambush the Japanese by having 200 aircraft where he thinks only 50 are present. Or having 2 divisions waiting where he thinks a RCT is the max present.

After you give the Japanese a bloody nose you grab hold of their ears and just start kneeing their face. (Lock them in a air battle for several weeks/months)

The USN has to absorb a certain amount of loss getting the IJN reduced to a nonfactor but after that its all gravey.
I see. In your view it's more "fun" if the game plays more like Battleship. :)
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Sig

Post by mogami »

Hi, Can I suggest a new sig line for you TJ?

"Fair and balanced"
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”