Tristanjohn wrote:That's right. The penalty begins at above 10,000 feet, running up, in increments of a thousand feet, to 20,000 feet. Point is this reflects doubly-confused thinking on the matter as it doesn't recognize the "Zero's" own deficiency's as altitude increased above 12,000 feet while completely botching the P-39's flying characteristics with regard to its own actual issues with altitude.
It's a gross error by any barometer.
On May 20 we fought the highest air battle in our history, when CDR Nakajima led 15 Zeros into the enemy zone at Moresby at a height of 30,000'. It took us an hour and 20 min. to reach Moresby from Lae. We relied on our height to give us the advantage of suprise, and were astonished to encounter an enemy formation several miles ahead of us at the same altitude.
I was doubtful of the Zero's ability to perform aerobatics at this height. My personal record height witht the Zero was 37,720 feet, acheived with an O2 mask and an electrically heated jacket. At that height the plane was extremely sluggish at the controls, and refused to climb another foot. Consequently, it seemed unwise to fight with the Zero at a height of 30,000'(he isn't saying he would DIVE from 30,000 though

)
There were 10 enemy fighters, apparently P-39s of a new design(personally I think they may have been P-40s

). I led the attack and was at once engaged. The 14 other Zeros met the head-on attack of the remaining planes.
The controls were sluggish in the thin air. As the other plane came at me, I tried for an advantageous position from which to fire. We seemed almost to be moving in slow motion. I kept edging clser to the other fighter in a tight spiral, and maneuvered for a quick burst. I yanked the stick over hard--too hard!"
-----At this point Sakai's mask falls off and he blacks out. He doesn't pass out, he blacks out. Not unconciousness, but much like the intial stages of G-LOC when sight is lost. he regains his vision at 20k(keep this altitude in your back pocket)------
"...,I was at 20k, the plane still under control.
I snapped out of the turn instantly, for it was likely that the Airacobra had followed me down and was setting me up for the kill. but the other plane was also in trouble! Possibly the pilot had turned too sharply at that height and had spun out, or, perhaps he too, suffered from a lack of O2. Whatever the cause, there he was at 20k' with me, spiraling around slowly. I shoved the throttle forward and headed for him, even as he came out of his seeming stupor. the next instant his wing was up and around and the P-39 came at me with all guns blazing.
But the Zero was back in its element. I came out of a turn with the Airacobra above and to my right. One quick burst with my cannon and the plane broke in two." ---SAMURAI! Ch.18 p.167-8
v/r
Elf