Mg's and movement

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
String
Posts: 2661
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: Estonia

Mg's and movement

Post by String »

Okay, I understand that the game turn is about 1-2 minutes right?
then why cant any of the MG's shoot after they have moved. The german mg42 with a bipod can get ready to fire in less than 10 seconds.. I have personal expierience with it from the army and it took me about 6-7 seconds to get down, assume firing position, aim and fire.
And that was the first time i had ever used the weapon in combat (well in combat excercises :P) Anyways IMHO light machineguns should be able to fire when on the move.

I do understand that with tripods it would take considerably more time to ready a MG but with bipods its a lot easier.
Surface combat TF fanboy
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

They Can in the H2H verison :)

Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

String wrote: Anyways IMHO light machineguns should be able to fire when on the move.

They can. _Light_ mg's are integrated into infantry squads. Those independent mmg or hmg teams are those that are equipped with tripods/optical sights/extra ammo boxes and such.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
User avatar
String
Posts: 2661
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: Estonia

ok

Post by String »

ok thanks for clearing that up for me
Surface combat TF fanboy
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Actually, the estimated time frame of a turn is more like 5 minutes, or it was originally.

I agree. The MG unit is already penalized with a reduced move factor and then to be unable to fire on the turn that it moves seems too much.

Voriax has a good alternative for LMGs. Medium machine guns should not require that much time but then you can't have half a turn in the game.

The only way I compensate in the games I design is to give LMG and MMG units the same move factor as the infantry they support.

Someone correct me on this if I am in error. In the many hours of testing the scenarios for the Screaming Eagles Mega Campaign, I think I have seen MMG such as the US .30 Cal. machine gun, IF it moves only one hex, able to fire its main weapon. Was I delusional or is that part of the game now. The one move only permits firing of the main weapon.

I guess I could go check it out in a test scenario, couldn't I? ;)

WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
drdespair
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:45 am

Post by drdespair »

Screaming Eagles Mega Campaign is that the next one we are waiting for? ;)

Will that be released with the SPWW 8.0? (PS... when is that coming out.. I thought I heard something about it already being delivered to Matrix, awaiting approval... would be nice to know if we will see it soon)

DrD
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Although the body of the MC-SE is ready, some of the artwork and the sound files are not.

Once I have those, it will require some final testing. We as a team want to be very sure that this one works as well as a MC can work within its limitations.

So, without fixing a date, don't look for it as it stands now until some time in November.

It will come. We've worked far too hard to let it go now.

So DrD...she is a beaut! Man, you are going to feel like a paratrooper when you get through with this one! I can say that without hesitation!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
Bernie
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:18 am
Location: Depot HQ - Virginia
Contact:

Post by Bernie »

drdespair wrote:Screaming Eagles Mega Campaign is that the next one we are waiting for? ;)

Will that be released with the SPWW 8.0? (PS... when is that coming out.. I thought I heard something about it already being delivered to Matrix, awaiting approval... would be nice to know if we will see it soon)

DrD


The thing that some folks aren't aware of is that while the 8.0 OOB's have been submitted, there was also a revision of the mech.exe that was being considred. If that is still being done (and I've heard nothing to indicate either way) then that would explain the delay so far. Seems like Matrix might be intending to release everything together, the MC, the new OOB's and a new mech.exe.
What, me worry?
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”