Favorite Mega?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
TF-M
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:48 am
Location: United States

Favorite Mega?

Post by TF-M »

I am thinking about purchasing a mega. I do not own any of them. Which was you favorite and why if possible?
Mike

Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

It depends, TF-M. What part of the war interests you? You have a choice between the deserts of North Africa, the steppes of Russia and the jungles and swamps of Guadalcanal.

Do you enjoy East Front fighting? Are you into the Pacific Island war? Does the thought of open desert with fleets of tanks appeal to you more?

Naturally, I am biased. The "Lost Victories" MC is a masterpiece, done by Brent Richards and his team.

My personal preference is actually the Pacific, though I love the swash-buckling advances and cunning defenses of the Desert Fox too!

All three are good investments in gaming. You have to decide which one you think you would enjoy the most.

Which one is best. Without trying to sound arrogant, my firm opinion is that they are ALL the best. I think any serious minded SPWAW gamer should have all three.

And wait! The best one is yet to come! Mega Campaign-Screaming Eagles! Now this one is the fruit of my experience with heading up the teams on Desert Fox and Watchtower. I learned from that and tried in incorporate what I learned into this newest one, due out in November of this year.

Screaming Eagles has SO MUCH. And its biggest value is its replaybility. Read the posts on just how this campaign works and I think you will agree that it has a lot of "bang" for the buck.

That, plus new icons, graphics, map features, OOBs make it almost a new game!

Now if I were to recommend one, it would be that one, Mega Campaign-Screaming Eagles.

But don't wait. Grab one of the existing ones now and get going. You'll have fun and it will better prepare you for that which is to come.

Anyone who enjoys this game should have and play all FOUR mega campaigns!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

As Bill has said, each one sure delivers what it delivers.

Desert Fox has lots of tanks.
Lost Victories is good in combining tank and infantry combat.
WatchTower has some great infantry fighting.

And of course MC-SE gives you all those tense airborne actions.

You can't just pic one really. You definitely will want all 4.
Your only choice is which one first.

I have found Watchtower to perhaps be the most underused ground for wargaming though. The Pacific always seems to be low down on lists.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
drdespair
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:45 am

Post by drdespair »

The Lost Victories and the Desert Fox are available as download purchases, WatchTower is not (is it because it includes SPWAW??) I hope 101st Screaming Eagles MC will be for download also, it doesnt make sense to pay shipping charges that equal the cost of the game to get it in Europe ;)

D.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

All of the MCs had the core game included. It's a free program, so the sale of an MC is never about the core program, you are only paying for the MC when you buy one.

Of course each MC was produced with the core program that was currently available at that time.

Watchtower is I believe still in stock in cd form (where as I think the first two have gone out of supply in it's originaly disk form). The downloadable forms are a concession to the jophnny come latelys that still wish to get the earlier MCs.

Watchtower will some day sell out of physical stock, and then it might to become a downloadable item as well.

I think though, it is unlikely MC-SE will be introduced as a downloadable initially.
But hmmm, as I am not David Heath, my comment only has limited weight hehe :)

I can say this much though. If you were holding a reasonable expensive game in your left hand, and MC-SE in your right, which came out as same expense by the time you got it to you, I would definitely say to think seriously on getting MC-SE.
But then again, I have an advantage, I have played it intensely for 2 plus months now :) I know it's worth the cash.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Good thoughts, Sarge. You expressed it well. What I like about Watchtower and Desert Fox is the playing time to finish them. Plus there are some very "unusual" scenarios in them, such as stealing Matilda tanks from the British tank laager, or an amphibious invasion on Tobruk from the coast, or rescuing POWs, a raid on Malta, and that is just in Desert Fox.

Same is true in Watchtower. The ill-fated Goettge patrol immortalized in the movie Guadalcanal Diary is recreated, plus protecting aircraft at Henderson Field from being destroyed...exciting to see those landed Dauntlesses and Wildcats get taken out by Japanese attacks. Or there is the scenario of rescuing the Coast watcher, the Japanese assault on the two tanks on Tanambogo, or the duel with US artillery and Japanese warships on Red Beach..on and on I could go.

And MC- Screaming Eagles has some very unique scenarios, far beyond the range of the normal attack-defend situation.

One thing about them, they are NOT dull. Some very good imaginative fights that require hard decision making of you as the commander..

WB
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
TF-M
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:48 am
Location: United States

Post by TF-M »

I appreciate the feed back...unfortunately I am only in the market for 1 :( right now but if I am impressed...(I here good things) there is always the man in the red suit!! ;)

Any one else with comments feel free...
Mike

User avatar
Goblin
Posts: 5418
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:57 pm
Location: Erie,Pa. USA
Contact:

Post by Goblin »

Hold out and get Screaming Eagles!!

Goblin- A Goblin is biased ;)
User avatar
Jim1954
Posts: 1295
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Dallas

Post by Jim1954 »

Ditto, MC-SE. One of the things that I like most about this one is the length of the battles. You do not necessarily have to commit 3 consecutive weeks of playing every night in order to finish a battle. Quite a goodly number of them are fast paced and quick playing. There are longer ones included, too, and for some , longer is better.

For instance, while Lost Victories is a superb campaign, grinding out a 25 turn marathon assaulting Ft. Stalin with the equivalent of almost a couple of battalions can get pretty time consuming.

My solution was to get all of them and when I get a little worn down with one, I'd just switch to a different one.
Image
Jim1954
KMC/T
User avatar
Orzel Bialy
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2002 5:39 am
Location: Wisconsin USA
Contact:

I'm Biased Too...

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Hold out for MCSE 44-45. That way you get all the new toys in one neat package! Image

After that you can download the others when the time comes...but this way you will have all the new terrain tiles and the new 8.0 OoB's to start with. Not to mention one Hell of great MC...that as stated here already, is something of a new breed in MC's! Image
Image
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

Post by Fallschirmjager »

If you play one your going to want to play them all

So just randomly select one...because you will end up buying them all
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Without a doubt. They are addictive. Play one, you'll want more. They are so much fun!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”