A couple questions on the game if I may?

A military-oriented and sci-fi wargame, set on procedural planets with customizable factions and endless choices.

Moderator: Vic

Post Reply
kicktothehead
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by kicktothehead »

First off -the game so far is my top GOTY - I am loving it. 3 days and 30+ hours in already :)

So I am on game 3 (first 2 were disaster learning experiences after watching Wade Star and Das on You Tube)

I am on round 99 - I am having trouble trying to find out how many hexes my aircraft can fly.

This is the most frustrating part for me so far. Each round I click an aircraft and click x or y - and then right click everywhere wondering where it will go! Sometimes it can get 10 hexes - sometimes it cant even get 3 hexes. It's maddening trying to plan my turn.

Is there a way to see how may hexes they can go?

I have 6 of them (different designs) so I don't recall how I designed them - I was hoping there was an area I could just see "distance 6 hexes" or something each turn?
I know supplies and readiness factor into AP - but how much AP is worth a hex?



Thank you

User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Sieppo »

REP from the top -> models overview -> find the model and the info is there. And pretty much all info you might need.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Soar_Slitherine
Posts: 603
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:33 am

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Soar_Slitherine »

You can also get the same information by clicking on the aircraft subunit in the units tab of the bottom bar. Hexes that the currently selected unit can move to or conduct an air mission to (depending on the selected order mode) are highlighted on the map - the same with aircraft as with ground units, though aircraft can only move onto airbases unless they have vertical takeoff and landing capability.
Not affiliated with Slitherine. They added it to my name when they merged the Slitherine and Matrix account systems.
kicktothehead
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by kicktothehead »

Thank you both. Somehow I never noticed this! ARG !


also - if I am not at war with a major faction -

How come they are allowed to slowly eat into my territory - but if I click on a hex of theirs it wants me to declare war?
Destragon
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Destragon »

Operational range is the range aircraft can do missions at. Movement range is double that.
Your ranges will be reduced if the aircraft doesn't have enough action points though. Porbably because of not enough readiness or not having gotten all the supplies they requested.

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

REP from the top -> models overview -> find the model and the info is there. And pretty much all info you might need.
I strongly recommend going into the Management screen and clicking on the model tab there instead. It's the same info, just organised in a way more readable format.
User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Operational range is the range aircraft can do missions at. Movement range is double that.
Your ranges will be reduced if the aircraft doesn't have enough action points though. Porbably because of not enough readiness or not having gotten all the supplies they requested.

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

REP from the top -> models overview -> find the model and the info is there. And pretty much all info you might need.
I strongly recommend going into the Management screen and clicking on the model tab there instead. It's the same info, just organised in a way more readable format.

What about strategic movement? I've been able to move aircraft with it also.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Destragon
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Destragon »

Strategic movement works the same as with any other units. You can move them as far as your logistics points can carry it. The amount of logistics points used up per tile is the weight of the unit.
User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Strategic movement works the same as with any other units. You can move them as far as your logistics points can carry it. The amount of logistics points used up per tile is the weight of the unit.

But they cannot take off and fly to the nearest airport, if I move them strategically unto a point where there is no field?
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
Destragon
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by Destragon »

If you move them somewhere where there's no airbase, then their readiness will be 0.
PaulAllen1982
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:51 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by PaulAllen1982 »

ORIGINAL: kicktothehead
also - if I am not at war with a major faction -
How come they are allowed to slowly eat into my territory - but if I click on a hex of theirs it wants me to declare war?

In my experience, territory of major regimes can't be violated without a war declaration and that works both ways.

Minor regimes, when you first meet you can both freely absorb each others territory without a war declaration UNTIL you either accept a request from them to fix borders or you play a strategem card on them to "establish contact" or "propose peace" and they accept.
I think the above 2 cards are the ones that can do it anyway, I'm not 100% sure.
zgrssd
Posts: 5105
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: PaulAllen1982

ORIGINAL: kicktothehead
also - if I am not at war with a major faction -
How come they are allowed to slowly eat into my territory - but if I click on a hex of theirs it wants me to declare war?

In my experience, territory of major regimes can't be violated without a war declaration and that works both ways.

Minor regimes, when you first meet you can both freely absorb each others territory without a war declaration UNTIL you either accept a request from them to fix borders or you play a strategem card on them to "establish contact" or "propose peace" and they accept.
I think the above 2 cards are the ones that can do it anyway, I'm not 100% sure.
You also can not violate a minors borders without war, if you know a enemy unit is there.
If you do not know they are there, you run into a ambush without war declaration and then know they are there.
kicktothehead
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:16 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by kicktothehead »

Thank you!
KarisFraMauro
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:36 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by KarisFraMauro »

I've been fiddling a little with diplomacy and notice that whatever success I have with trade or scientific strategems, the next turn everything reverts to zero. Not sure if it's some kind of glitch or, more likely, I'm missing something. The relations are generally high but cold. Do they have to be friendly? Seems a bit pointless to allow strategems in circumstances where they get nullified before having any effect.
User avatar
jimwinsor
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 pm
Contact:

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by jimwinsor »

The major is taking action on the following turn to nullify your recently signed agreement. You can usually see a listing of that action in the second tab of the Reports. And yeah, it does make getting those agreements in the first place kinda pointless.
Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
KarisFraMauro
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:36 pm

RE: A couple questions on the game if I may?

Post by KarisFraMauro »

Interesting. And, a little disappointing... Thanks for explaining! :)
Post Reply

Return to “Shadow Empire”