Random but persistent CTD

Strategic Command WWII World at War Tech Support
Post Reply
fluidwill
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Random but persistent CTD

Post by fluidwill »

Getting a seemingly random but increasingly noticable CTD.

I usally have 2-4 PBEM games on the go so play a couple of turns per night on average and it happens (subjectively) a couple of times per week.

I use the Iron Cross Mod (map and counters) but otherwise vanilla and possibly it seems to do it more on the second/third turn of a session (i.e. doesn't seem to do it on the first turn so maybe have to completely exit game between turns?)

Any ideas?

Tends to work fine when I re-enter the game and if I didn't play exclusively PBEM I wouldn't care too much but I do get a bit of a hot flush incase my ops think maybe the reloads aren't entirely inoccent.
User avatar
Hubert Cater
Posts: 6123
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am
Contact:

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by Hubert Cater »

Sorry to hear the trouble. Can you provide any extra info on the CTD? Is it the same error message? Different messages? Any indication on what the error messages would help as well.

If you can send over the contents of your ERROR folder to support@furysoftware.com that would help as well.

This is typically found in the USER folder of your PC, e.g.:

\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - World at War

You can use WeTransfer to send the files over as well.
fluidwill
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by fluidwill »

Error file sent as requested - seemingly it hasn't been updated since November and I definitely had a crash this morning - I don't get an error message - game just disappears and am left looking at the little menu screen with "Play" "Manual" an advert for another Matrix game etc.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - thanks for your prompt response
fluidwill
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by fluidwill »

Should also mention that I validated my files with Steam (last week) and found 8 errors but that didn't cure it.
User avatar
Hubert Cater
Posts: 6123
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am
Contact:

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks for the errorlog file and off hand this is a strange one as there is no error message and I haven't been receiving any other similar error reports. Often this leads me to believe it might be system specific and I wonder if perhaps your AI is shutting things down arbitrarily?

Perhaps worth trying to whitelist the game with your AV software to see if this helps?
fluidwill
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 pm

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by fluidwill »

I'll give that a go - thanks Hubert.
USGrant1962
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 pm

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by USGrant1962 »

I'm having the same issue. 3 or 4 CTDs over the last month that seem to be immediately after a player-turn combat resolution. It happened again last night. Unfortunately, I looked in the error folder and that CTD is not recorded. The last updates in ERROR were the "common draw unit layer" bug that last hit me 5 days ago. But that bug is not CTD, it has a pop-up.

EDIT - and I'm just using Windows built-in AV.
USGrant1962
User avatar
Hubert Cater
Posts: 6123
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:42 am
Contact:

RE: Random but persistent CTD

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks for the report, the latest patch will fix a few things and hopefully it addresses this issue here as well.

If you do find that you one of these errors is eventually recorded to the ERROR folder, please do let me know and I'd be happy to take a look.
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”