What happened to the Zooks?!?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

TheOriginalOverlord
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: The Marines

Post by TheOriginalOverlord »

I found in the Army FM 23-22
"the AT rocket is used mainly for armored targets but can be used against infantry as the blast effects are slightly greater than a 60mm mortar shell"

I'm not sure "which" round they are reffereing to but since the manual was dated '49 I'm assuming it was the latest one (M9A3?)

If we get rid of the HE round how will that effect its use against Infantry/MG teams?

Personally I've never had much luck attacking Inf with it.

Your thoughts?
Semper Fi!

Jeremy

Image
Spellbinder
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Spellbinder »

**I found in the Army FM 23-22
"the AT rocket is used mainly for armored targets but can be used against infantry as the blast effects are slightly greater than a 60mm mortar shell"
I'm not sure "which" round they are reffereing to but since the manual was dated '49 I'm assuming it was the latest one (M9A3?)

If we get rid of the HE round how will that effect its use against Infantry/MG teams?

Personally I've never had much luck attacking Inf with it.

Your thoughts?
+++++++++++++++++++++++
I never had any luck vs. Infantry either and I always found it a waste of precious shots :(
It would be realistic (ahh, the bad word again!!!) to remove it, but I'm not sure if other players see it the same :D
Ciao
Klaus aka Spellbinder
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

IF you only have HEAT they do not afect infantry, so that would take away an historical aspect of the Bazooka.

The HE rounds give bazookas their historic capability as "poor mans infantry guns" in a pinch abstracting it with seperate HE rounds seems to be the only way to do that right now without messing things all up.
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
SO what I am hearing is the fix should be to take away the HE round altogether from the Bazooka?
NOOOOO!! I like blowing up enemy soldiers with bazookas! I always picture that scene from Rambo where he nails the bad guy with an HE shot from his trusty bow & arrow. :D
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Mark Ezra
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Jasmin Ranch, Acton CA

Post by Mark Ezra »

Thanks for the quick fix. I'll let my PBEM partners know about it and how easy it was to repair with SPEdit!
All Hail Marx and Lennon
Bonzo
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Peace River, AB, Canada
Contact:

Post by Bonzo »

Paul,

I make no request that the HE be taken away from the bazooka. Just answering your request for data. perhaps the HE slot can be used to simulate the willie-pete. The velocity, range, accuracy & overall weight of the WP round was the same as the HEAT. I'll let people with more experience discuss how 0.9 pounds of WP should compare with what size HE.

Also bear in mind the weight of 3.4 pounds per round when considering combat loadout for foot sloggers who are also carrying small arms, SA ammo & all the necessities of war. 10 rounds weighs 34 pounds The M9 'Zook weighs another 14.5 pounds Add spare batteries & such and your at 50 pounds for just the Bazooka.

Add 9.9 pounds each for M1 with bayonet Throw in some ammo at about 20 rounds to the pound (give or take). Take a few casualties or reduced squad, and something in their loadout has to go if the squad is going to be mobile.

Just a few thoughts that are probably better considered for CA/CL.
Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster
28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters
Main http://www.nwbattalion.com
E-mail
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

"As well as it's primary use as an anti-tank weapon, the Bazooka was soon found to be a useful method of opening up buildings and pillboxes which would otherwise have had to be attacked by a crawling man carrying a satchel charge. As an anti-personnel device the hollow charge warhead was too directional to be of much use, but this side of the question was taken care of later by providing a white phosphorus filled warhead which could be used for providing instant smoke or as an incendiary and anti-personnel weapon of considerable effectiveness."

So it appear that the HE round in the OOB for the Bazooka actually represents the white phosphorus round.

Quotes from "Grenades & Mortars" by Ian Hogg Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Violent Century, weapons book No 37.
TheOriginalOverlord
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: The Marines

Post by TheOriginalOverlord »

New info..

I just checked the FM on the Bazooka, (Feb '44) It only lists the HEAT round and the Practice round. The November '49 FM has the M10 WP round in it. So at least up till early '44 there were no WP rockets. So far I haven't been able to find out when this WP rocket was introduced into service.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Overlord ]
Semper Fi!

Jeremy

Image
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

Originally posted by Overlord:
New info..

I just checked the FM on the Bazooka, (Feb '44) It only lists the HEAT round and the Practice round. The November '49 FM has the M10 WP round in it. So at least up till early '44 there were no WP rockets. So far I haven't been able to find out when this WP rocket was introduced into service.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Overlord ]
Perhaps the lack of HE is the reason the new guy always ended up carrying the Bazooka.

:rolleyes:
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”