Understanding my country eh

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Zovs
Posts: 9275
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 pm
Location: United States

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by Zovs »

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy35

ORIGINAL: Zovs

My understanding of Canadians and I could be wrong 😁is that they are the nicest folks around, drink lots beer, say eh a lot, play hockey and listen to Rush and Triumph a lot. What’s not to like eh?

Oh, BTW go Bruins go! Especially against the Haves or Leafs😃

There's a lot of nigh insufferable Leafs fans out there, that's for sure! [:D]

LOL Go Bruins!!!Go!
Image
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Tester for WDS games
User avatar
MrsWargamer
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrsWargamer »

The Leafs are an odd team. Even their fans spend most of their time hating on the team :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Will_L
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NYC-Queens

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by Will_L »

I'm not a fan of Alberta for some reasons, but the scenery, oh the scenery.

And no rats! Wish the NYC subway system had none. Seen some monsters and learned a few things about rats...
1. They have a vertical leap that would make Michael Jordan green with envy. Watched one jump from the tracks up onto the platform.
2. They can climb a cement wall like squirrel climbs a tree.
3. They squeak like a dog's chew toy when you accidentally step on them.
was Will_L for a while.
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Will_L
I'm not a fan of Alberta for some reasons, but the scenery, oh the scenery.

And no rats! Wish the NYC subway system had none. Seen some monsters and learned a few things about rats...
1. They have a vertical leap that would make Michael Jordan green with envy. Watched one jump from the tracks up onto the platform.
2. They can climb a cement wall like squirrel climbs a tree.
3. They squeak like a dog's chew toy when you accidentally step on them.

Rats are relatively easy to get rid of from a small area.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
ThomasJay
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 am

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by ThomasJay »

And I thought I knew everything I needed to know about Canada from Trailer Park Boys and the McKenzie brothers. And South Park.
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by wodin »

not liking how everything MrsWargamer is typing is being perceived as political. Yes been a couple of unfortunate posts but this one I feel was unfair to label it political straight away.
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by RangerJoe »

That is because they way that she states things. Not liking Alberta but liking the scenery means that she does not like other things about it because . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Curtis Lemay
Posts: 15411
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: Houston, TX

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Back in the early 60's I was a child traveling with my Mother on a flight from New York to Europe. Back in those days, that was too great a distance for a non-stop flight. The flight had to stop to refuel in Newfoundland.

While refueling in Newfoundland, the plane FROZE TO THE GROUND! We had to change to a new plane in order to continue.

Decades later, relating this tale to a Canadian collegue, he informed me that that experience encapsulated Canada to perfection and it was all I would ever need to know about our northern neighbor. [:'(]
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by RangerJoe »

Well, my understanding is that some Texan cattlemen settled in the Calgary, Alberta area . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I'm sure the US has some non-political funniness between their states.

I like to think of the US northeast as the Great White South. They get a lot more snow than I do.

The Appalachians are probably nicer than the Rockies. I've seen travelogues, and the scenery is plenty to brag about.

The northern middle states are a lot like southern Alberta and Saskatchewan. Big open, did I mention big? I'd probably want to hike the Appalachians and bike the northern states. I don't care for heat though, so I'd likely skip the US southern half.

MrsWargamer,

I'm not so sure that in the age of political correctness this joke will be seen as funny. But, being from Pennsylvania we used to have a joke about West Virginia and their close intermarriages.
It went something like this;

West Virginia guys have it made on Valentines Day. They only have to buy one card. It would read: To my sister, my mother, my wife. [8|]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
User avatar
MrsWargamer
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrsWargamer »

We have a town north of here, Kinmount.

I'm sure they had something else in mind with the name :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
User avatar
Zovs
Posts: 9275
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:02 pm
Location: United States

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by Zovs »

The closet I have ever seen a Canadian get angry and pissed off was during hockey games. In my first little game, we the US were playing some Vancouver little league game and not knowing any better I got away with slashing a Canadian kid and when he came around on the ice during the next play he brought three of his team mates. They slammed me into the boards and I foolishly high stick-ed the biggest guy in the head and broke my stick, the next thing I know my sweater was over my head and I was being pummeled to death by these three Canadians. After the ref thought I had enough of a beating (he was Canadian too, I am sure...) to add insult to injury, I got put in the penalty box for High Sticking, Slashing and Fighting, it was some ungodly amount of time in the box.

Did I mention I hate the Canucks? (the little league team had Canuck like sweaters, shorts and socks).
Image
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Tester for WDS games
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrRoadrunner »

You needed the Hanson brothers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbn5ss8j9c

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
User avatar
MrsWargamer
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrsWargamer »

To understand Canadian hockey, you need to remember, we can't really afford both a military and hockey. Sacrifices have to be made :)
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
User avatar
RFalvo69
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: Lamezia Terme (Italy)

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

To understand Canadian hockey, you need to remember, we can't really afford both a military and hockey. Sacrifices have to be made :)
Do you know how to stop a Canadian infantry platoon? You throw a disk and some sticks in their direction. [:D]

This comes from a Canadian guy I met when I was in the Navy, so I guess he was some in-joke between them. Never heard from the other part though. [:'(]
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

You needed the Hanson brothers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUbn5ss8j9c

RR

Two of those three are actual brothers, the third brother who was supposed to be in the movie was called up to play professional hockey. They are actually the Americans who the Hanson brothers were based on.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
Will_L
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NYC-Queens

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by Will_L »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

ORIGINAL: Will_L
I'm not a fan of Alberta for some reasons, but the scenery, oh the scenery.

And no rats! Wish the NYC subway system had none. Seen some monsters and learned a few things about rats...
1. They have a vertical leap that would make Michael Jordan green with envy. Watched one jump from the tracks up onto the platform.
2. They can climb a cement wall like squirrel climbs a tree.
3. They squeak like a dog's chew toy when you accidentally step on them.

Rats are relatively easy to get rid of from a small area.

When the building I work in was still under construction back in 2007 I used to hunt rats in the basement with a 2x4, get em into a corner and kill em with a thrust. Took me three weeks to wipe them out, eighteen total.
Last summer we had what was probably a single pregnant rat in the garden between the two buildings. It would dig a hole, hit the cement underneath the soil (12-24 inches down)and dig in another spot. We had over thirty holes in about a week. The board wanted to use snap traps but I convinced them that poison would be better and we put two poison traps out. About two weeks later the baby rats found one and consumed the poison, we found all six of them together near the trap. I guess the mother had returned to her own nest when the babies were old enough to look for food on their own since we haven't seen one since.
was Will_L for a while.
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

We have a town north of here, Kinmount.

I'm sure they had something else in mind with the name :)

I'm from a small town outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. About forty miles away is a town called Blue Ball and another called Intercourse.
I'm sure they meant what they named them. Before you get there is a town called Hellam. [:'(]

I guess the two towns were the next choice. [;)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
User avatar
MrRoadrunner
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

To understand Canadian hockey, you need to remember, we can't really afford both a military and hockey. Sacrifices have to be made :)

In the seventies, hockey games in Philadelphia were often mentioned as "I went to a fight and hockey game broke out".

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
User avatar
LarryP
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Carson City, NV

RE: Understanding my country eh

Post by LarryP »

I live close to Reno and Sparks, Nevada. They say that Reno is so close to hell, you can see Sparks. Truth.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”