The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
AndrewPZ
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:01 pm

The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by AndrewPZ »

Evening Grogs, Is it possible to save the two ships in the title by getting them docked in Singapore (CAPs there) for a few turns and then running to Australia or South Africa and then if this works bring them back to smash the IJN.
DConn
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by DConn »

Definitely possible to save them, depending on how badly damaged they get in the first attacks. They are useful later, but don't expect them to turn the tide against the Japanese!

--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by geofflambert »

They can't smash the IJN but they are the only battleships available that can keep up with the US flattops. For that reason they are a prime target. There is a way in this game that the Japanese player can guarantee nothing escapes from Singapore, period (a whole lot of things on top of terrible weather would be have to go badly wrong for such an escape). Sacrifices are necessary to ensure that.

User avatar
btd64
Posts: 15211
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 am
Location: Lancaster, OHIO

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by btd64 »

Or you can turn off Historical First Turn [;)]....GP
IntelUltra7 16cores, 32gb ram, NvidiaGeForceRTX 2050
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
AndrewPZ
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:01 pm

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by AndrewPZ »

Thanks guys, I forgot you could turn off the HFT. When I said to smash the IJN I did not mean they would do it alone, I intend to place them in a TF with the American flat-tops and so many Destroyers that if they all drop anchor and moor up side by side you could walk from Okinawa to Wake. Aaaand that's the Wine talking so I best be off :)

Thanks for the replies - so much to learn.. I had a basic understanding of WITP but there seems to be more nuance to AE.
User avatar
Randy Stead
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by Randy Stead »

ORIGINAL: AndrewPZ

Thanks guys, I forgot you could turn off the HFT. When I said to smash the IJN I did not mean they would do it alone, I intend to place them in a TF with the American flat-tops and so many Destroyers that if they all drop anchor and moor up side by side you could walk from Okinawa to Wake. Aaaand that's the Wine talking so I best be off :)

Thanks for the replies - so much to learn.. I had a basic understanding of WITP but there seems to be more nuance to AE.

I missed one or two iterations of this game lineage. The only one in the series I have played before finding Admiral's Edition during the Christmas sale was Pacific War in the good old DOS days. One week turns, with giant furball air melees.

When ships got hit you would see various numbers of asterisks, which indicated different levels of damage. First time I saw asterisks in AE was when my ASW was hammering a sub. I saw sub rattled **** and thought, Wow, this guy is dead. Then I came to find out the **** mean nothing in terms of damage inflicted.
Dan1977
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by Dan1977 »

Andrew, Yes, get Force Z out of Singapore to the south at full speed until they reach south of Palembang. Keep them out of Betty-torpedo range. The Japanese air is set for naval attack for several turns at the start, so it is dangerous to hang around outside the port. I sent the British surface units to Java to refuel, then around south of Borneo, to refuel again and head over to the southern parts of the Philippines to intercept Japanese invasions. Also if you have enough Political Points, change the Force Z commander to a better leader.
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12864
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: AndrewPZ

Thanks guys, I forgot you could turn off the HFT. When I said to smash the IJN I did not mean they would do it alone, I intend to place them in a TF with the American flat-tops and so many Destroyers that if they all drop anchor and moor up side by side you could walk from Okinawa to Wake. Aaaand that's the Wine talking so I best be off :)

Thanks for the replies - so much to learn.. I had a basic understanding of WITP but there seems to be more nuance to AE.

BB PoW is best "flak ship" of early war. Both it and BC Repulse are good additions to any CV TF before US fast battleships arrive in 1943.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: The Prince Of Wales and Repulse.

Post by RangerJoe »

To change the Force Z commander for free, just disband it then reform it.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”