spotting units during player 2 setup..a bug?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

spotting units during player 2 setup..a bug?

Post by Cicero »

Situation:
SPWAW ver5.3, German assault across a river to Polish Defence, september '39.

I am player 2, Polish. During my setup I was able to spot a few of my opponents units, It enabled me to lay down an immediate arty barrage with good effect...which i am not complaining about!! but, I am not sure whether this is supposed to happen or whether its a bug..I havent played anything other than 5.3 so I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. :)

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Cicero ]
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Lucky you. Blast them if you can see them, that'll teach 'em not to set their positions too close to the riverbank. While deploying for a river crossing, I always take one unit and "walk" it through every hex along the river to see if any of the enemy come into sight, than do just what you did - drop artillery on their heads. It's just a matter of visibility.

On the other hand, you should not be able to see enemy units that aren't in LOS.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Was this a scenario? If so, what can sometimes happen is when a scenario is saved from editor from player's two deployment setup -the game will expose units on map when game is played. It is important to save a designed scenario from editor from Player one's deploy phase so this will not occur.
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

It was a battle generator game, and the units were in line of sight.

I suppose In retrospect I would hesitate to call this a bug, but having said that, I cant see a rationale for it...am I missing something fundamental here :confused: ?

I must say I dont like the idea of "walking units" along the river bank to expose this kind of situation...seems a kind of "gamey" thing to do..so I wont be following that example. It was interesting to hear that some people do that but I hope it isnt a widespread practice...winning the game at all costs has never been my style. :D
MacCready
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by MacCready »

Look at it as just an aspect of recon in the game,I've noticed alot of opponents(e-mail /online)
tend to lay down an arty barrage right away just over my deploy line.(As if i'm going to set up like its a race)
Hide in woods,jungles,buildings,etc.

In Steel Panthers III the gunships/helo's
saw just about everything from high altitude in the deploy phase.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: MacCready ]
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

I hated that!!
pop up a helo to high altitude during deploy and see evrything...geez :mad:

User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Cicero:
I must say I dont like the idea of "walking units" along the river bank to expose this kind of situation...seems a kind of "gamey" thing to do..so I wont be following that example. It was interesting to hear that some people do that but I hope it isnt a widespread practice...winning the game at all costs has never been my style. :D
You call it "gamey," I call it scouting. And since the price my troops pay for not winning is dying, I shall continue to do my best to win. Want to try a PBEM with me? :D ;) :D
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Antonius
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Saint Arnoult en Yvelines FRANCE
Contact:

Post by Antonius »

Player 2 must always be aware that his units can be spotted by player 1 if they are in LOS.

Maybe the attacker should therefore be player 2 instead of player 1, at least in PBEM/on-line games.
Wargamo, ergo sum
Cicero
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Cicero »

Originally posted by Antonius:
Player 2 must always be aware that his units can be spotted by player 1 if they are in LOS.

Maybe the attacker should therefore be player 2 instead of player 1, at least in PBEM/on-line games.
Yes, that sounds like the solution...hadnt thought of that..will spoil Warriors "scouting" though. ;)

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Cicero ]
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Player 1 (whichever country) is always the attacker in the battles I've generated, and in the PBEM's I've tried. If there's another way to do it, I'm interested in learning how.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”