ORIGINAL: rustysi
Have there been any decent books on this particular subject?
I'd be interested in this as well. Payne's work has been on my radar, but I've been disciplined in buying books recently and a strong recommendation may tip me over the edge.
ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: rustysi
Been a bit quiet around here lately, so I thought some questions might lead to a discussion.
I know some items did come through Spain, in addition to some 'blockade runners' skirting the coast. What I'm wondering is, how often, and how much of what might have gotten through. Or just plain old Spanish items being bought into the Axis Empire.
About Turkey I've no idea, but I have the same questions.
Have there been any decent books on this particular subject?
warspite1
There was a discussion in the General Discussion thread recently in which it was fancifully claimed that Germany could have simply 'blitzed' through Spain and Turkey as part of a spiffing wheeze to win the war.
One of the great many things this completely ignored was that German imports of Tungsten (from Portugal and Spain) and Chromium (from Turkey) would have been, at best, disrupted, and at worst stopped completely.
I am not sure what other commodities Germany sourced from these countries, but these were key resources for their armaments industry.
I don't think it's fanciful at all that the Wehrmacht could have blitzed through Spain or Turkey.
The economic situation of Spain after the end of the civil war was grim - doubtful Franco could have maintained the military strength present at the end of the civil war, and at any rate it was far from what we would have considered as a modern European army for the time period -
an interesting article on the post-WW2 situation.
Granted, any German invasion of Spain would likely result in British forces being sent in support, but it seems likely to me that it would have ended up an echo of Moore's campaigning rather than Wellington.
As for Turkey, the military position seems likely have been even more advantageous to the Germans.
Regarding these operations winning the war for the Axis, what these commentators tend to forget is that Spain at the time was utterly dependent on foreign (i.e American) oil imports. If Spain was to be invaded (or to join the Axis powers), then Germany would have needed to provide sufficient oil to prevent a complete economic collapse.