Possible bug in v.6...

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
sami heimola
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: kouvola finland

Possible bug in v.6...

Post by sami heimola »

I installed v.6 and wanted to play June 1944 US Airborne vs German (attack/defence) battle. Map was Omaha Beach. I took 2 companies Airborne and couple of transport planes and thought that I'm dropping them behind Germans. As I started turn 1, all troops (expect planes) were in landing ships! And there was couple of LPT's (if I remember right) which were as tank icons! OK, my planes flew over German lines but they didn't included any troops! Seems that everybody were in those landing ships (or crafts?)... I tried same battle 2 times but result was same. Third time I got all-land map. So, seems to be something wrong in beach battles... Has anyone else noticed same?

Sami
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Using auto-deploy?
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
sami heimola
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: kouvola finland

Post by sami heimola »

Originally posted by Warrior:
Using auto-deploy?
Yes. I tried this twice but still there were landing crafts which included all troops! Planes just flew over Germans without any droppings... Strange, because I didn't notice this in earlier versions...
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

OK, you can't do it using auto-deploy. You must use Human Deploy, manually load the paratroopers into the planes and/or gliders, then designate their drop zones. The AI doesn't know you want those guys to fall from the sky unless you tell it, and since you had a beach assault, it supplied landing craft. I just set up your June '44 battle and had no problem with the paras.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

I had some problems in beach battle, was an online game, my opponent was assualting, he said his big naval guns showed up in the ocean as 4.5 inch rockets, DEPLOYED IN THE OCEAN!! yes i even saw them there, also half his troops were missing landing craft.

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Voriax
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland

Post by Voriax »

Another bug..or a feature...who knows.

This appeared in earlier versions also.

When an infantry unit has the movement rate set to zero for some reason (scenario designer's choice etc.) the unit will not be able to turn.

By allowing the infantry to turn in such cases would greatly enchance their defensive value...then the scenario designer could create ambushes, defensive positions as he likes without havibg to fear that the AI orders those carefully positioned troops to wander about...and simple bypass/destroy from behind would not work in such cases.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
User avatar
David Heath
Posts: 2529
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 5:00 pm

Post by David Heath »

Please remember this game is a memory HOG! if you play a big battle you better have the ram.
sinner
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Post by sinner »

What do you mean by a memory hog?

How much RAM do you recommend?
Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"
sami heimola
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: kouvola finland

Post by sami heimola »

Originally posted by Warrior:
OK, you can't do it using auto-deploy. You must use Human Deploy, manually load the paratroopers into the planes and/or gliders, then designate their drop zones. The AI doesn't know you want those guys to fall from the sky unless you tell it, and since you had a beach assault, it supplied landing craft. I just set up your June '44 battle and had no problem with the paras.

OK, but do I have to unload them from crafts first? And then to planes? I didn't noticed any inf icons on water... AI loaded them all to crafts but planes were empty :(...

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Don
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Elk Grove, CA (near Sacramento)

Post by Don »

Sami,

Auto-deploy is horrible and I wouldn't use it. In fact I'd like to see it removed from the game! Try loading the planes yourself and see what happens. I don't think the game is smart enough to recognize that you want certain troops in those planes! :)
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
troopie
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Post by troopie »

I never use autodeploy. It invariably lines everyone up in a whacking long line, and puts my infantry far away from their transport.

troopie
Pamwe Chete
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Sinner from the Prairy:
What do you mean by a memory hog? How much RAM do you recommend?
I don't know about anybody else, but I would say 128Mb RAM is minimum and 256Mb is better (that's what I have).
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Posted by Sami: "OK, but do I have to unload them from crafts first? And then to planes? I didn't noticed any inf icons on water... AI loaded them all to crafts but planes were empty ..."

Yep, either start the whole thing over or go to Human Deploy, double-click a landing craft and unload. Then select the unit and load it into a plane. If you're also hitting the beach with troops, put the ones not paratroopers back into the landing craft.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Mumdaan
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Mumdaan »

Was reading this and saw you mention 4.5in rocket launchers auto-deployed in the middle of the water...

It happened to me as well and if i remember right i found there wasnt a landing craft able to mount them. Carry cost was 255 i think and the largest landing craft avail was 254 capable. Probably a bug but maybe as intended.
sami heimola
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: kouvola finland

Post by sami heimola »

Well well well... Very strange... I tried once again same battle (US attack vs German, June 1944, Omaha Beach) and I was very amazed as I noticed that US had not transport planes at all (this time) :(!!! I checked Encyclopedia and there were transport planes. Why they doesn't show in unit screen? So, do I have to choose "air support" in Preferences, let's say "1", before I can choose transport planes? If I remember right, earlier this air support option doesn't affect it... Am I in wrong?

Another bug is LPT which seems to be tank (T-54 I suppose?). Picture is right but wrong icon. I checked this from Encyclopedia and there was same thing too...

Sami
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

To be sure your air is available, the weather must be clear (1). If the computer generates a bad weather/night battle, no air will be available. The default in Player Preferences for air sections is "XXX," so computer chooses. Set it to a number to be safe. Of course, the computer may also give air to the enemy unless you set them to zero.

Report the tank thing to the Oob Forum, they're working on things like that.

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”