Another Q...

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Another Q...

Post by Belisarius »

OK, so I've got another maybe-not-so-important question for you:

FO vehicles - if the vehicle is disabled, the driver is just a "crew". Now, does that imply that it's the car itself that does the spotting? I'd like to see the bailed driver as an Observer. I mean, his observing skills can't be impaired because of him leaving his vehicle. Right?
Image
Got StuG?
DataKing
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by DataKing »

Greetings and salutations,

I think that the crew will still act as decent observers in this case, because (if memory serves) crewman keep their command abilities. Obviously, any FO team has a good Arty Command skill, and I think the same should apply for a Crewman group from a mobile FO.

The tricky part here is whether or not they will have a radio with which to call in their strike zones. I don't recall the radio rating for crewmen (I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd just load up and see), but I don't think its anywhere near as good as the 90 radio rating of any "normal" FO team.

I love artillery and have been looking for a way to get a good mobile FO group without having to use two units (1 for FO, 1 for transportation).

At any rate, this is all conjecture until I get home and take a look. I'm just killing time at work right now, waiting for quiting time. :D
"Welcome to the human race."
-Snake Pliskin
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Thanx for the explanation, DK.

I don't have the time right now to look it up, either, but if the bailed FO crew doesn't have as good radio rating, I guess one can assume the radio got shot to pieces along with the vehicle... :p
Image
Got StuG?
ruxius
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri May 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: ITALY

Post by ruxius »

HI boys, I had a dream...my FO Obs car went down behind the top of a hill..the crewmen
bailed out , and get on foot over the top..
they assign their orders of fire...when achieved the mission they drop into the car again and travel towards a new mission...
Yes a transport may do this as well... :)
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
DataKing
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by DataKing »

Greetings and salutations,

Well, when I got home last night, I loaded version 6.0 and took a look at the encyclopedia. I found that Crewmen had a radio entry of 0. Needless to say, this should pretty much negate the use of crewmen from a FO vehicle as adequate forward observers. Makes sense though. If you've got a nice radio in your vehicle, tank, etc., why bother with a portable one as well.

I've decided that I am not going to bother with additional transportation for my FO units. They usually stay relatively close to the action, depending on visibility, and since their carry cost is only 2, there should be room for them on one of the trucks or transports for whichever unit their travelling with at the time.
"Welcome to the human race."
-Snake Pliskin
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

Suggestion, get a transport for you A0 unit (A1) that is large enough to carry the A0 and your F0. Keeps the FO in command constantly because he's never far from the A0.
Oh what an alphabet soup this is. :D
AmmoSgt
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Redstone Arsenal Al

Post by AmmoSgt »

It is likely that the FO once he lost his vehicle in most armies would be out of contact , for some insight into the Forward Observer and some details on how some of the Major Powers in WW2 operated check the following web sites
http://www.peakpeak.com/~darylpoe/tanks/artillery/doctrine.html

and
http://members.tripod.com/~nigelef/id17_engagement_of_targets.htm
"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which
john g
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: college station, tx usa

Post by john g »

Originally posted by pbear:
Suggestion, get a transport for you A0 unit (A1) that is large enough to carry the A0 and your F0. Keeps the FO in command constantly because he's never far from the A0.
Oh what an alphabet soup this is. :D
Personally I don't use dedicated fo's except for the US ones. Why limit your call in ability to the general area of your A0? Since the A0 will call in arty just as well as an fo (with the exeption of US), keep them seperate and you can find twice the targets. With C&C on, very seldom will an fo need more than his 3 orders, or 1 per turn after his alpha strike.

Don't forget all those other ?0 units and scout units that can call in arty as well, if you run out of fo orders. They just have to be called in where the enemy will be not where he is to allow for the delay.
thanks, John.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”