The Ordnance QF 2-pounder ("Ordnance, Quick Firing"), or simply "2 pounder gun", was a 40 mm (1.575 inch) British anti-tank and vehicle-mounted gun employed in the Second World War.
With its tripod mounting which permitted rapid all-round traverse, this was the best AT gun in service in 1939. However, the loss of 509 2pdrs in France virtually eliminated the Army's stock of AT guns, and forced the British to give 2pdr production top priority for another year (thus delaying the development of the 6pdr). In the early desert fighting the 2pdr was entirely adequate, but as the Panzers acquired thicker armor it became less and less able to deal with them. Moreover, when the Germans would locate the position of a 2pdr, if possible they stood their Pz IV off beyond its effective range and leisurely shelled it into submission. By 1942 it was dangerously obsolete—but even so, it fought on until the fall of Tunis. Its usual transport in the desert was the 2pdr Portee (see British Vehicle Note 77). In the PTO the 2pdr remained in use throughout the war, though by the end of 1943 in India-Burma it was officially authorized only in the AA/AT regiment of light divisions.
2pdrs were used in AT regiments with four guns per troop, and from early 1942 began appearing in infantry and motor battalions in two or four four-gun platoons respectively. The AT troop of infantry recce regiments that fought in North Africa from late 1942 had six 2pdrs; later these were exchanged for 6pdrs. As a side note, HE did exist for the 2pdr, but was rather ineffective and apparently not widely issued. As with many other British guns, the 2pdr was named for the weight of the projectile it fired.
It was used in the Battle of France and during the North African Campaign. In its vehicle-mounted variant the 2-pounder was a common main gun on British tanks early in World War II, as well as being a typical main armament of armoured cars, such as the Daimler, throughout the war. As Axis tanks' armoured protection improved, the 2-pounder lost effectiveness and it was gradually replaced by the 6-pounder starting in 1942, though some remained in service until the end of the war.




















