Hit Chance Percentages

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Brian Butler
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Haddonfield, NJ

Hit Chance Percentages

Post by Brian Butler »

Greetings from a new forum member. Been playing wargames for years and am familiar with chance to hit estimates. Although I enjoy this game immensely I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to the chance to hit. It seems that at 2,3 & 4% I give and get casualties with amazing frequency especialy with infantry and soft targets. Tanks rarely get hits at less than 20% hit chance, but when it comes to the rest I have no idea if I'm wasting a shot or taking an unnecessary chance. This is w/ default settings by the way. the most extreme case in point was when a Russian squad's return fire inflicted casualties to one of my HMG's at 18 hexes w/ a 2% hit chance. This is right after I had pummeled this Russian squad and reduced it to half strength! Am I missing something in the way the hit chance is calculated? Is this like a base number I'm supposed to manually modify? Any enlightenment greatly appreciated. Sorry for the longwindedness.[EMAIL]null[/EMAIL]
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

The hit chance percentage doesn't mean what it would seem to. It's just a guide, not set in stone. My attitude is: if you've got any shot at all, take it.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

THe hit chance is the chance that one or more of your men get a "hit" on the target. A hit is a shot that has a chance to casue a casualty.

Each man in your unit with a Primary infantry weapon gets a chance, so ten men at 3% means a 26% chance at least one of them will get a hit. THe 6.0 change list lists something about the hit chances being reflective of all men shooting and that is not technically correct. What is meant is the hit chance is now more properly connected to the casualties produced.


A "hit" is defiend as a loop through the "casualty routine" depending on the cover it is in, it may or may not actually score a casualty. IF you do not score a "hit", then depending on how much firepower you have you may get some "bonus" chances based on all teh lead you are throwing down range getting some at random, or causing them to become combat ineffective for teh remainder of the game.
Brian Butler
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Haddonfield, NJ

Post by Brian Butler »

Thanks guys for the helpful and speedy reply. Would you recommend I upgrade to 6.0 even though the majority of games I am playing are solitaire?
User avatar
skukko
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by skukko »

Welcome to this nice bunch of people :)

Update to 6th release and enjoy, I do like to play scenarios/camps and pbem and have nothing bad to say of 6th version, earlier had some annoying problems :D

mosh
salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again
jeffery65
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Post by jeffery65 »

Brian , just go ahead update to the best version of SPWAW
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”