Pilot training and supply

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

So, I'll be systematically getting all the AA upgraded. No problem, it's not busy at the moment.


So you are in 1945 in a PBM and it is NOT busy ? [:D]
Can you tell a bit about the game I am curious [:)]
Also I noted you have much fuel, is any HI turned off? Or is Hi somewhere out of fuel and you need to ship it there?

Edit:
Jdsrae, one needs to install a fix that one of the IJA AF unit types does update the radar at all - error in database.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

Yeah, Steve's got a different approach to the war. He's on the border of Burma but I still hold all of it. DEI wise he's got Damar and Saumlauki and a few bases on New Guinea. I still have most of the Solomons, all of the Marshalls and all of the Marianas. Here's the map. He's threatening to clobber me but it seems like he's trying to put me to sleep first. I have all of China except Chungking. The Soviets have crossed and captured one hex near Vladivostok and he's starting to press. I invaded the Soviet Union a few days before August. I realize I should have back in January or December. I'm not very impressed with their air force at all.

Image
Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 554 times

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

We've had a couple of carrier battles. The list here is pretty accurate but some of the names on the Allied ships are wrong, and the Enterprise was not sunk (it wasn't even present at that battle).

Image
Attachments
cvs.jpg
cvs.jpg (145.44 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by Alpha77 »

Well if you do not work on your supply the empire might crumble anyways - are these all carrier losses? Seems he has still most of the big CVs...You mean he prefers more a Drôle de guerre :)

How can Japan attack the soviets before their historical date? I thought this is not possible or only if the garrison drops below 8k (iirc) there is chance the soviets activate before that. Also the soviet tank units plus the mighty arty should crush the IJA - they have not enough capable AT / own tanks
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

As Japan you can invade any time you want, even day one. Ordinarily that wouldn't be a wise idea though.

User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

We've had a couple of carrier battles. The list here is pretty accurate but some of the names on the Allied ships are wrong, and the Enterprise was not sunk (it wasn't even present at that battle).

Often FoW will change ship names. So you probably sank a CV, but one not named Enterprise.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Well if you do not work on your supply the empire might crumble anyways - are these all carrier losses? Seems he has still most of the big CVs...You mean he prefers more a Drôle de guerre :)

How can Japan attack the soviets before their historical date? I thought this is not possible or only if the garrison drops below 8k (iirc) there is chance the soviets activate before that. Also the soviet tank units plus the mighty arty should crush the IJA - they have not enough capable AT / own tanks

Before August all that good Soviet stuff is in Europe. Europe is their top priority until Germany falls. If I had invaded long before that I imagine I could've done a lot of damage in the Soviet Far East and made those troops fight there way onto the map when they were released in June. As it is I cut the trans-Siberian railroad West of Lake Baikal. He's cleared that incursion since then, but it's still cut in several places East of LB.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

We've had a couple of carrier battles. The list here is pretty accurate but some of the names on the Allied ships are wrong, and the Enterprise was not sunk (it wasn't even present at that battle).

Often FoW will change ship names. So you probably sank a CV, but one not named Enterprise.

No, I sank one, the Victorious, but it ended up in the report as two, the Formidible and the Enterprise. One ship sinking reported twice. It had taken some bomb hits but a submarine put 3 fish in her. There were no US carriers there. It wasn't the Sangamon either, maybe the same class? The Argleton or something.

Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by Alpha77 »

I will prob make a pre-emptive strike vs. the red hordes..I am sure they prepare something against the god approved empire of the east [:@] I plan to do this in 10/43. Most of the war is a stalemate so far, in India I beat back the cunning Brits and their Indian and US bandits.

That an Asian nation like India fights the ones who give them freedom has enraged the emperor...the Brits must pay them very good.

However my battlefleet suffered terribly, I lost many cruisers and DDs. So the US made some progress has taken Shortlands and soon Toro will fall..also he landed at Makin now too. But my army, airforce, economy is top shape. :)

The soviets have many of the border fortresses, I read they are hard to overcome, any tipps for this? Or what would be the best route in general?? I have almost no heavy weapons there I bought out every worthy art / AA and AT unit. So will be a hard struggle I guess [X(]
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by RangerJoe »

Bring back the Southern Army, invade where you can, cut the Trans-Siberian rail line, and don't forget to move up the river and capture the base with the aircraft factories.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20762
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

You’ve set devices to not upgrade, but units have to be in rest mode for their TOE to upgrade.
Setting them to rest triggered TOE upgrades, but with replacements off those new TOE won’t fill with extra or upgraded devices.
You definitely want the radars that are in those AA Regt upgraded TOEs.
One caveat to this - if the pools are full of a device, it will sometimes distribute itself regardless of "Do Not Upgrade" being set. I have seen this happen in many of my Permanently Restricted US units. Of course the USA has no supply issues so that doesn't matter. I suppose if I set the device to stockpile it might not distribute to units, but then production of the device would just halt. As long as the pool holds enough that I can upgrade any of the deployed units that do need it, I can just let the AI manage the pool!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20762
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Yeah, Steve's got a different approach to the war. He's on the border of Burma but I still hold all of it. DEI wise he's got Damar and Saumlauki and a few bases on New Guinea. I still have most of the Solomons, all of the Marshalls and all of the Marianas. Here's the map. He's threatening to clobber me but it seems like he's trying to put me to sleep first. I have all of China except Chungking. The Soviets have crossed and captured one hex near Vladivostok and he's starting to press. I invaded the Soviet Union a few days before August. I realize I should have back in January or December. I'm not very impressed with their air force at all.

Image
The Allies need to get points from Strategic Bombing and eliminate IJ points for holding valuable bases if they are to get anything close to a marginal victory. Holding Marcus Island is not going to provide any help with Strat bombing unless Mustangs with drop tanks can sweep from there. The map suggests he may be about to surge in the Aleutians/Kuriles - shortest path to the home islands.

The Russian AF is crap until their pilots get some experience. The IL-2 and IL-4 are effective ground support aircraft and are produced in numbers at those factories at Komsomolsk. Russian AA is also fairly effective. The Border forts will have at least six levels of field forts (unless they coincide with a real base). If they do not have additional LCU support the border forts are not so formidable. Just bring lots of engineers and some heavy arty if you can get it there.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20762
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

We've had a couple of carrier battles. The list here is pretty accurate but some of the names on the Allied ships are wrong, and the Enterprise was not sunk (it wasn't even present at that battle).

Image
Yikes! Looks like he has been using his CVEs as front line carriers without covering them with his main carrier fleet. Not good for him! Now his amphib invasions will be harder because he must risk his main fleet close to LBA. Did you sink many APA/AKA/LSI(L) types? That is another tender spot for the Allies.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by Alpha77 »

Well losing these CVEs will weaken his CAP at landing sites, but they do NOT represent much of an offensive punch, this he still has w/ all the full CVs also called "death star" I heard [;)]

APA are overrated by you BBfanboy as xAP seem to do almost as good (I made a thread about this 3 or so months ago)---
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

His CVE fleet (which was where it shouldn't have been) was just a day away from the CV fleet, so I pounced. It was close though. Akagi was limping home when his CVs were charging, trying to make amends and he pulled up just short of where his search planes would have caught her.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

The "Death Star" has almost no offensive capability if it isn't backed up by troop ships. It just can't do much damage that won't be repaired. I just wave at them as they float by.

User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by RangerJoe »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Well losing these CVEs will weaken his CAP at landing sites, but they do NOT represent much of an offensive punch, this he still has w/ all the full CVs also called "death star" I heard [;)]

APA are overrated by you BBfanboy as xAP seem to do almost as good (I made a thread about this 3 or so months ago)---

xAPs are not as good as APAs, check the unloading speed then figure out just how many more xAPs are needed for an invasion to unload in one day as well as how much space is wasted using the combat load while the xAPs could be better utilized to unload the second echelon of base forces, engineers, AAA and CD units.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

The same principle applies to sweepers. If they aren't backed up with bombers just watch them fly over.

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

Supply situation continuing in the right direction. I looked around and wasn't finding any AA or base force units that weren't fully updated.

Image
Attachments
industry.jpg
industry.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 553 times

User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Pilot training and supply

Post by geofflambert »

still good

Image
Attachments
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”