Infantry numbers in v6

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
tcooper
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 12, 2001 8:00 am

Infantry numbers in v6

Post by tcooper »

What has happened to the infantry numbers in version 6? In 5.1 with unit numbers set to all units you could see the number of men on the icon if the unit was not routed and if you right clicked on the unit it showed you the remaining men in the unit even if the unit had routed.

In version 6 though when I right click all I see under men is XXX although I can see how many men there are in a non-routed unit as it displays it on the icon.

This is very annoying as it now also appears that the number of men in the icon doesn't always equal the number of men in the unit. Which makes it difficult to identify how many men are remaining in a routed unit, as I often use my snipers to pick off the weak units, while saving my heavier weaponry for the stronger units.

The game I am playing was upgraded from 5.01 to 5.2 and then to 6. I realise that 5.01 games were not compatible with 5.2, but 6 said there should be no problems loading 5.01 games.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

TC
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Strange. I only got the "XXX" unit number info in 5.1-5.3 as well. :confused:
Image
Got StuG?
tcooper
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 12, 2001 8:00 am

Post by tcooper »

The strange thing is I now it was OK the other day as I was picking off 4 man units with my snipers.

I have now uninstalled version 6 and reinstalled 5.01 and I am now getting the same problem. :confused:

Could it be one of the settings as it always defaults back whenever you upgrade?

TC
tcooper
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 12, 2001 8:00 am

Post by tcooper »

Problem solved :D

It was my fault. :(

If you turn of limited intel it gets rid of the XXX :D

As it says in the Manual:

"• Limited Intel – Enabling this setting will make enemy units harder to spot as well as make them less likely to remain spotted. The number of men in an enemy squad will not be displayed. A recon unit that spots an enemy artillery unit and moves away, for example, will find that the enemy battery may become hidden again depending on the cover it is in. This may happen immediately or after a few turns. Infantry and support weapons that are seen moving may also disappear in a few turns after they stop moving.

Perhaps most important, units will not be automatically spotted if they fire, which makes snipers and pillboxes particularly effective. The chances of spotting, and of spotted units disappearing, depend on the relative experience levels of the units involved, their skill of their leaders, the weather, the visibility and the terrain. Please note that infantry and other leg type units are much harder to spot in general than they were in Steel Panthers III, especially at ranges greater than 10 hexes. Occasionally, units that leave LOS remain
spotted for a turn. This typically happens when units crest a hill and then go back into
defilade (behind the crest)."

Personally I think this is not really correct as if you have unit numbers on for all units you can see the number of men in a non-routed unit but not in a routed unit. This should really be the other way round.

Ideally though "Limited Intel" should relate to spotting of the entire unit only i.e. If you can see it you can see how many men there are. And "Unit Number" should control the XXX with the XXX being turned off for routed units.

TC
User avatar
Reg
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri May 26, 2000 8:00 am
Location: NSW, Australia

Post by Reg »

Careful!!!

Even though there is a number displayed on the map for the number of men in a spotted unit with Limited Intel ON, it may not be accurate (be warned).

You may be able to see men moving through the bushes but can you be sure you have spotted ALL of them???

Reg.
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”