SPWaW, SPww2...pros, cons and beyond

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

HEHEH
sure is funny seeing Paul and Davids names listed as "raw recruits" over at the SPWW2 forum :D http://www.wargamer.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Steel+Panthers+Series&number=24&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=

User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

Its refreshing to be able to discuss these things in a reasonable fashion. Thanks to Guderian and Andy for providing your persective There will always be those for whom a "simpler more understandable" system is "good enough". Others what to see "progress". Can't really do both at the same time.

I have no doubt that SPWW2 v5 will have a host of improvements. We can do an SPWW2v5 vs Combat Leader comparison this winter ;)

An interesting exercise might be to make up a couple similar sceanrios in each game and have players comment on how they differ under the two systems?
Slayer
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by Slayer »

Will the new game have the option of choosing whether firing ranges are shown in hexes or meters? When I first saw weapons fire in SPWW2, I was surprised that it said it was firing at 350yds instead of 7 hexes. It's another small thing, but it was surprising just how just this made the experience seem that much more real and involving. Seeing a range described as 'hexes' in the middle of a period of heavy combat adds a bit to disbelief.
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

This is in SPWaW already added at version 5 I think its the @ key that toggles it. Cpress the "help" button it should say "toggle range display" or the like.

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]
Tomanbeg
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Memphis, Tn, CSA

Post by Tomanbeg »

W@W is a better program, WW2 is a better game. W@W is biased toward solitaire play; scenarios and campaigns, while WW2 is the way to go for PBEM. The same random results and fog of war that makes the AI interesting is frustrating when playing another human. 6.1 and no astrick is getting there. I have 1 game of WW2 to finish and then it will be W@W, at least until Cammo group finishes modern war. I got razzed for bringing this up before, but the interest in post 1950 (Cold War)combat is higher then WW2. Almost forgot, C&C is a big plus for W@W, when I can get someone to play with it on. WW2 has the edge in maps. Washed out? Have you thought about a new monitor? Play a battle in India or Norway and check out a cliff with a river on one side and level 15 terrain on the other. Put them Rangers to work.
T.
"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

Well I tried spww2 againn as this thread peaked my interest, I noticed the AI uses smoke, pretty well in fact, altho I do not play much if at all vs the AI, I found this to be a good thing.
Also the VHexes are not all bunched together, making for a better battle, not the "mad dash for the hexes" I even like the maps in spww2, but the oobs seem to just repeat units over and over with different names, the sounds still bad, graphics bad.
Incorporate spww2 AI and maps into spwaw and you would have something there!!
All in all SPWAW still the better game

Slayer
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by Slayer »

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
This is in SPWaW already added at version 5 I think its the @ key that toggles it. Cpress the "help" button it should say "toggle range display" or the like.
Sorry about that. :rolleyes: I guess I missed that particular feature. Thanks for the help!
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

Post by Charles2222 »

Just downloaded SPWW2 again, and I've noticed a few things which I hadn't before. In some cases the graphics are on a par with SPWAW, such as the PZIVF2, but some of them are fairly poor (but acceptable in my thinking), such as the infantry (they look like doughboys).

I love the sounds of the tanks rolling in that game, right on a par with the KTIger when it rolls in this one.

One last key thing though. It seems as though the pricing is more favorable, and unless I'm mistaken it probably works much better with the campaign and the amount of points it gives you. Some pricing examples? One of the 76L54 Sherman is 35, the Tiger is 75, the KTiger 110, and the Maus is 350 (how did they manage something over 250???). If there is any serious attempt to do repricing in this game, SPWW2 might just make for a good model, but the campaign points given to both core and support would need changing too.
gators
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 16, 2001 8:00 am

Post by gators »

A thing I really like about Spww2 is spotting planes. I miss those in WAW though overall I like it better. I think the rarity feature is tres realisme!
"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer
Antonius
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Saint Arnoult en Yvelines FRANCE
Contact:

Post by Antonius »

SPWW2 has better random maps and a better AI so random battles and generated campaigns against the AI are more varied. However the poor graphics and IMHO poor combat model put me off.

But I find the SPWAW combat model much better and realistic and SPWAW gives plenty of tools to build great maps and make the AI into an accepable oppponent so I like it better for PBEM, scens and well-designed linked campaings.

Combat Mission is a great game which I do play a lot too. I think it is very well suited for very small battles but the amount of micro-management and LOS checking makes it unfit for big ones. In fact I view and play it as a crossbetween of a tank sim and a tactical game.
Wargamo, ergo sum
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

SPWAW and CM are my two current favorites too, Antonius. They make a fine little package for the avid gamer.

I still jump into an occasional battle of SPWW2, believe it or not ;). It is on my hard drive.

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
gators
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 16, 2001 8:00 am

Post by gators »

And lest we forget WW2 gots German mountain troops! :cool:
"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer
Figmo
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post by Figmo »

To say it's OK to changing the infantry but not the Armor because people can modify the Armor if they like - IMO is a contradiction - because people have always been able to modify both to their hearts desires and if you're going to make one better why not the other. So, to change both is what I feel SPWaW has done and well!!

IMO - The infantry in SPWW2 is a lot like Scott Grasse's OOBs in SP1, not the original game - if you liked those you'll like SPWW2. In SPWaW they are a combination of the best parts of All three (SP1, SP2, & SP3) and that is the best combination for me.

Figmo

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Figmo ]
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”