Melee Bug still there

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Kluckenbill
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA

Melee Bug still there

Post by Kluckenbill »

I'm currently playing a campaign as Germans, fighting the Brits in France 1940. I attacked a 25mm AT gun by advancing a recon section of 4 men into the hex and attacking the crew. I was able to pin the crew and cause 1 casualty. I then rolled up some halftracks and machine gunned the crew into submission. Unfortunately, during the machine gunning, my recon squad surrendered! I know this issue was addressed before in this forum, I had just hoped that somehow it would be addressed in version 5.0-6.1.
Target, Cease Fire !
User avatar
TheChin
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Cleveland,OH,USA
Contact:

Post by TheChin »

I've seen the same thing, I've seen AI Soviets cause two whole squads of their own surrender by shooting at them when they were in the same hex as my Japanese motorcycles. I just assumed that when you have like 30 people in the same 50m area alot of collateral damage happens. Most of the time everyone in the hex takes casualties, but in this instance the Soviets had already received the "Soviet force morale broken" message so all the units were just looking for excuses to surrender.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: TheChin ]
"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
MacCready
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: USA

Post by MacCready »

Kluckenbill-

You put 4 guys in an enemy hex and then fire at them again and again,and then your surprised they surrendered.

advice- Dont shoot at your own troops!!!

It's not a BUG,it's the commander.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: MacCready ]
kao16
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by kao16 »

When shooting at a hex containing your own troops I would recommend that you stop shooting every now and again to check the suppression of your units. If you feel the values are getting too high, try to rally the level down. If suppression is too high (99???) and you are still shooting at the hex, then your unit(s) are going to surrender if the enemy still has shots.
Flashfyre
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Waynesboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Flashfyre »

As they say.....


"Friendly Fire Ain't" :D

I try to never shoot at enemy units that are in the same hex as my own troops.....and I constantly check their morale, and raly when it gets too high.
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Hey, you're lucky they just surrendered. I usually end up killing mine. :eek:
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Rover
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 29, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Rover »

Actually what this reminded me of was past discussion about how if multiple infantry units are in one hex the targeted unit receives casualties at the expected rate but the other units receive casualties at a much increased rate. I agree there should be an expectation about others getting hit inadvertantly but the "bug" is the higher likelihood seen.

R
Kluckenbill
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Lancaster, PA, USA

Post by Kluckenbill »

This isn't a big deal, but it does lead to some rather bizarre incidents. I've had relatively full strength squads of infantry surrender to 1 or 2 routed crewmen. Then in the next fire round the enemy crew surrendered, but my guys were gone! What happenned? Were they summarily executed by those evil gun crewmen? I realize the limitations of the game engine, I just think its funny.

My only real concern is that it requires a bit more micromanagement of meelees. kao16's recommendation is a good one, its just a nuisance to keep clicking on the units, especially if there are several of them in the hex.

As an aside, it appears that the old "infantry in the same hex as a tank" bug has reappeared! I've had several instances where a tank was hit by machine gun fire and an infantry unit in the hex NOT on the tank took casualties. However, it doesn't seem to happen very often so I've pretty much just ignored it.
Target, Cease Fire !
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”