[RESOLVED] COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Post Reply
User avatar
Midcon113
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL

[RESOLVED] COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post by Midcon113 »

Hi,

I recently had to reinstall Windows 11 Pro, including Steam and Command. When launching Command, I can get to the splash screen (Loading, please wait...) and then the game just hangs. I poked around the log (latest entry copied below) and saw that DirectX might be the issue. I have downloaded and installed the DX redistributable, but that hasn't fixed the issue. I'm not entirely sure what to do next; my Windows install is up to date, SFC scans show no issues, DISM shows no issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark

LOG:

Successfully loaded Sim Configuration.

Discovering DPI

DPI_scale = 0

DPI registry setting, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels:96.

Showing splash screen.

Loading splash image

Splash image loaded

Client.Initalize

Initialization started.

10/29/2022 15:50:45 -- B1147.49 -- An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
Exception: An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
Stack Trace: at ‡...[T](T )
at ‡...()
at Command.Client.()
Inner Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
Inner StackTrace: at Command.MainForm..ctor()
Call Stack & Error details:
Error at 200576, An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll' or one of its dependencies. is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)

Client.Initalize FAILED

Wait for terrain to load.
thewood1
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post by thewood1 »

Was it the DX9 install that you used?
User avatar
Midcon113
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL

Re: COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post by Midcon113 »

thewood1 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:14 am Was it the DX9 install that you used?
I googled the DirectX redistributable download and installed that. Supposedly it includes DX9. However, I also went to the Steamworks common folders following the instructions in the prerequisites and used the DX9 install from there. Still have the same results - I can get to the splash screen, but no further.
Dimitris
Posts: 15992
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:29 am
Contact:

Re: COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post by Dimitris »

* Is the OS fully updated? Graphics drivers updated? Direct-X 9 installed?
* Is Command running as admin? (ie. prompting you "are you sure you want to run this program" when you launch it)
* Are Steam overlays disabled for Command?
* Is Direct-Write disabled on the Steam client?
* Are all other applications (and especially hardware-helper apps like RivaTuner, Nahimic, MSI Afterburner etc.) shut down?
* Are you using a high-DPI desktop? (ie. font size >100%)
* Are you using Norton antivirus? (This POS is very frequently silently blocking file updates)
User avatar
Midcon113
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL

Re: COMMAND hangs on splash screen

Post by Midcon113 »

Dimitris wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm * Are you using Norton antivirus? (This POS is very frequently silently blocking file updates)
I just had to laugh at this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Issue is solved. Windows needed to get reinstalled yet again in order to make it all work. I had taken all those steps (including not using Norton since the 1980s) and couldn't get it to work. But I also started to run into other issues and it became clear that something was wrong with the Windows install.

Painful to have to reinstall everything again but I'm up and running. Thanks!

Mark
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”