Any plans for multiplayer?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Post Reply
curricular
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 am

Any plans for multiplayer?

Post by curricular »

I've read here and there that it may or may not be planned for down the road.... Is there any news on whether MP will be added to Distant Worlds 2 at some point?
AKicebear
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Post by AKicebear »

They've mentioned it's technically possible but not a priority. I personally doubt it (and prefer they don't waste resources there).
Cauldyth
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 am

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Post by Cauldyth »

I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.
Jorgen_CAB
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Cauldyth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 pm I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.
If they do it they should do this at the end of the development of the game after most of the main content is in. I'm afraid it will otherwise take up unreasonable time to make sure everything work with MP as they add content and we get less content as a result.
zgrssd
Posts: 5105
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pm

Re: Any plans for multiplayer?

Post by zgrssd »

Jorgen_CAB wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:31 pm
Cauldyth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:54 pm I believe in the recent stream, they said they'd like to eventually do it, but no plans currently.

And I agree, I'd prefer they focus on making it an even more fantastic single-player experience.
If they do it they should do this at the end of the development of the game after most of the main content is in. I'm afraid it will otherwise take up unreasonable time to make sure everything work with MP as they add content and we get less content as a result.
Making sure the game can be converted to MP already takes time and resources. I would not mind them going the full way. Later.

MP requires a very specific design of the games code, which is why most of the times MP can not be retrofitted at all.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”