[REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Post Reply
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

[REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

I commonly find myself wanting to adjust several things at once in both of these menus. It would be very very useful to be able to leave them open as a separate window so we could manage more easily what is displayed and how.
Regarding implementation: Perhaps rather than two windows, one single window with tabs for each. Or even a simple two-column window could work.
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

There is a whole sub-forum for feature requests.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=341588
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

Yeah. One thread. With a terrible signal-to-noise ratio. 29 pages and running of mostly noise. Seems pretty pointless to post anything there; tho I did respond to the poll.
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

The devs actually go through it and most reasonable players use that to keep the overall forum organized. I guess you are just special.
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

thewood1 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:53 pm The devs actually go through it and most reasonable players use that to keep the overall forum organized. I guess you are just special.
I just tend to generally avoid threads with such a terrible signal-to-noise ratio. They're totally pointless 99% of the time. I would hardly call that "organized." It's a total mess. 29 pages of it.
<shrug>
Perhaps if there were an ACTUAL sub-forum rather than a single thread it would be a better S:N. Scratch that, it definitely would.
And, that thread is specifically labeled as a POLL about feature requests. This in no way suggests or implies that it is The Place to post feature requests.
I have clearly labeled this a a request. That alone goes a long way toward oranization and being clear.
Why you're so butt-hurt over this that you feel you have to come in here and "scold" me I have no idea. And perhaps it's something you should think about. Why? It's pointless. Wanna comment on the idea? Great. Just wanna give me crap for "not posting it in the right place" then .... Whatever. Have fun with that. Seems pretty stressful tho, to do that sort of thing.
I have also REPEATEDLY read the admins and devs asking for things to be posted in individual threads. Such as bug reports. I see no reason feature requests would be any different.

So unless you've got something constructive to say, back off.
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

Here's some constructive criticism. You have come in fully swinging at everything you've seen in CMO. How about backing off and actually learning the game a little more. You are running around here and Steam like a bull in a china shop. At least half of your complaints, criticisms, and suggestions seem to end up being stuff you would not have to do anything about if you focused a little more on actually learning the game and not trying to post everything that pops into you head.

And some more constructive stuff. There's a logical reason for keeping requests in a subforum separate from the main thread. And its exactly what you said. "Signal to noise". There are typically a lot more posts in the main thread and the tech thread. Posting them there will lead to stuff really falling off the edge. I am somewhat struck by the fact you come in and after only a couple months and have decided you know better than the devs and mods, who've run this whole thing for over 10 years. And the fact that everyone else except you seem to think the subforum is a good idea. So instead of being a little inwardly reflective, its more like you just do what you want.

btw, what happens if everyone posts their requests in the main thread? What would happen then? Or are your requests that much more important?
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

I have tried to be polite with you. But now, after that diatribe?
Good grief. If you had simply ignored this there would be no problem. No one else seems to have a problem. Just you. JUST you calling ME a problem on numerous occasions now. Clearly you personally have an issue with me. YOU are causing forum problems by making totally off-topic attack-posts. Only you.
Get over it. You clearly have some issues you need to deal with, since you seem to have nothing better to do than give me crap and pointlessly derail this thread. Pretty much 99% troll. Your thinly-veiled "constructive stuff" BS .. Yeah. I see thru you. <facepalm> <eyeroll>
THERE IS NO GORRAM SUB-FORUM!! There is a single thread. Where everything and its mother is buried. NO! I'm not going to post feature requests in that thread. If there were an ACTUAL sub-forum we wouldn't be having this issue because I would have posted this in there. But there is only a single thread that is, in point of fact, labeled as a poll. Which I partook in. Things I'm bringing up aren't in there. Thus, new threads are appropriate for each individual one -- Admins and devs have asked others to post bugs in separate threads. I see no reason feature requests would be any different. I'll go with what I've actually seen THEM say.
As to me "charging in here after .." blah blah blah blah. Less than useless drivel. You see what you want to see and feel how you want to feel. My intent is and has been to improve the game. If you see it otherwise, that's on you. Not me. (EDIT: If you had actually looked thru them all you'd see that it's 95% bug reports and gameplay questions. But you just jerked your knee and posted.)
I see issues with many things in the UI/UX, and I am pointing them out. It all seems very hacked-together inconsistently over time as stuff is added and changed. These things happen with lot's of if not most software. Sorry if me pointing such out butt-hurts you. On noes, whatever shall we do?! The horror. THE HORROR. ........ How about fix it. To everyone's benefit. Issues need to be pointed out first tho. Just cuz you've become used to a flawed system doesn't mean that system shouldn't be improved upon when and where it can.
And "running around here and Steam like a bull in a china shop." LMAO in your imagination. I've mostly been posting bug reports here as I find them. I haven't even posted on Steam since, what? The first week or two I had the game. So well over a month ago. You are remembering what you choose to remember because it bugged you, and disregarding every single other post I've made, be it my own thread or responses to others. (I just checked. My last Steam post was about the game being laggy. A dev sent me a beta to try and re-directed me to the forums here where discussion continued. I have since moved to Win 10 for a plethora of reasons, and that lag is gone now.)
Regarding "At least half of your complaints ... " blah blah blah. Oh? Such as what. Specific examples (See below, cuz don't bother I won't see them). But no. You'd rather engage in the classic logical fallacy of sweeping statements.
I note that shortly after I asked about being able to move multiple RP's at once that it got implemented. How's that eh? I didn't see that in the polls. Isn't it also you who took issue with my Formation Editor ideas as well? Note how the game is now also shifting to zone-based rather than RP based missions. This shift was even specifically mentioned in either (and?) release notes or the blog. (Tho zones are, of course, defined by RPs)
I have posted numerous bugs in the appropriate place and they have been added to the list.
I am actively working on making corrections in the community addon DB descriptions. Just cuz you don't directly see that doesn't make it less so.
I see faults in the game -- PARTICULARLY in the GUI and UX areas, that need addressing. Inconsistencies all over the place such as being able to re-size some windows and not others, change text size in some windows but not others, re-size sub-regions in some windows and not others, painfully small fonts across the board.
But yeah. Maybe I should just shut up about all that stuff and deal with it. Cuz of course CMO has no faults and who am I as a n00b to make any criticisms.

If you take issue with MY IDEAS, then do that. But no. You'd rather attack me, telling me to post somewhere else. So suck it, troll. I'm sick of your BS and you are now blocked. Bye bye Sheila. I prefer to not deal with passive-aggressive trolls. Get bent Arthur Dent. And get over it.
Good grief. Some people.

Oh and BTW, what happens if there's an ACTUAL full-on sub-forum for feature requests rather than one single thread of 29 pages and growing that has more noise than signal and is pointless to look at beyond simply answering the poll? That sure would be sweet. Where everything could be discussed on its own merits and evaluated. Nice eh?
Or maybe that never occurred to you. How DARE I suggest such a thing or post outside your perceived boundaries! <GASP>

Remember. I won't see your responses. And if you PM me you'll be reported. You are a non-entity to me and no longer exist. Go find someone else to bother. I am simply reflecting what you've thrown at me. As you can see, it's not a nice image.

EDIT: Wow. Well dang. It appears I can't block you cuz you're somehow a mod or admin. :o
So go ahead and take a gander thru ALLLL of my posts, as I just did.
The ONLY "criticism" thread where YOU see me whining or "barging in" or whatever is the one about grammar and UI. 95% of them are a bug report or question about gameplay. So your perceptions here are seriously seriously skewed due to personal ....... Whatever the issue is you have.

HECK! I've already even made a mod. Which you sure didn't seem to take notice of. A soundtrack "mod" for a CIC-like ambience.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1#p5082131
Last edited by artao5 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
DavidRN
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:41 pm

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by DavidRN »

Hi artoa5

A good place to forward requests is here (as another member of the forum so kindly directed me too)

https://github.com/PygmalionOfCyprus/cm ... sts/issues

Currently 1240 open and 1996 closed

DavidRN
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

DavidRN wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:13 am Hi artoa5

A good place to forward requests is here (as another member of the forum so kindly directed me too)

https://github.com/PygmalionOfCyprus/cm ... sts/issues

Currently 1240 open and 1996 closed

DavidRN
Thanks. But that is specifically for DB requests, and this is a UI request. Be well. :)
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

Again, it appears you just think you're special. I see no issues with new ideas. But not sure why you think putting your requests in the a forum that gets more traffic and not doing it a subforum dedicated to sorting those ideas out is a bad idea in itself. The devs aren't going to dismiss a good idea just because its not in a dedicated thread. But it makes it easier and more likely to get sorted in the Requests thread.

Again, putting your requests in a more trafficked forum is doing the opposite of what you are trying to do. Its much more likely to be missed as it drops off the main page.
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

thewood1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:27 am Again, it appears you just think you're special. I see no issues with new ideas. But not sure why you think putting your requests in the a forum that gets more traffic and not doing it a subforum dedicated to sorting those ideas out is a bad idea in itself. The devs aren't going to dismiss a good idea just because its not in a dedicated thread. But it makes it easier and more likely to get sorted in the Requests thread.

Again, putting your requests in a more trafficked forum is doing the opposite of what you are trying to do. Its much more likely to be missed as it drops off the main page.
What do you not get about THERE IS NO SUB-FORUM. I can't use a non-existent sub-forum. There is One. Single. Thread. That is not a "sub-forum." That would be something like Tech Support or Lua Legion.

Thanks for your totally relevant input on my request too. And thanks for staying on topic. Also, thanks for not being belittling and dismissive. So nice of you to come in here with such constructive feedback.
(In case you can't tell, that was sarcasm)
Again, YOU are the ONLY one who seems to be taking issue. So who is it that thinks they're special?
You're a waste of my time, and this is all also a waste of your time. Stop already. Good grief, do you have nothing better to do?
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

Actually I have a number of better things to do. I really thought it would help you to understand how the forum works. The Requests subforum is the definition of a subforum. So instead of making your point about subforums, you are posting in the main forum. I still can't understand your logic.

1) won't post in the subforum (or forum as you call it) because there's too much noise
2) Posts in a main forum where there is even more traffic and noise.
3) Doesn't seem to notice that everyone else is posting requests in the subforum
4) Doesn't realize he has a better chance of getting what he wants done through posting in the better place

JUst so you don't have to go back to the top, the subforum

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... &start=560

Titled - CMO RUNNING POLL - Gameplay feature requests

So lets change the term from subforum to pinned topic. Does that help?
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

Good grief man! THAT IS NOT A SUB-FORUM. "Pinned topic?" Sure. That's what it is. It's nice that you've learned a new and proper definition today. Congratulations. Now you can stop calling single threads sub-forums. It is also CLEARLY labeled as a POLL about feature requests.
I'm sick of you.
Reporting you.
thewood1
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Boston

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by thewood1 »

Its a Poll and a request thread. Note the 29 pages of requests. Again, if you looked around a little, it would be obvious.

You still haven't answered how posting in the main forum is better than the requests thread. There are a lot more posts here and its a lot more active.

So starting March 1...

75 active threads with thousands of posts in the main forum. Granted only several hundred of the posts are since March 1.
55 posts in the requests thread. And about half of those are the devs and others explaining that the request is moot because you can do it in the game already.

So tell me the benefit of avoiding bad "signal to noise" ratios by post in a section that significantly more active and has a heck of a lot of noise vs the request thread? Especially considering the devs actively go through the request thread and reply. A number of those requests end up in game eventually. In fact, a significant number start out in the main forum and then when something is concluded, the OP will put a request into the request thread. So obviously, they aren't special.
User avatar
PipFromSlitherine
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

It feels like you guys are both getting a little agitated on this subject. I would suggest both taking a breath.

I will point out that two things are true.

1 - the devs have requested that new feature requests are posted in the feature requests thread. Devs seldom have the chance to read every post, and so make requests like this.
2 - it is NOT a subforum. It is a pinned thread, unlike the numerous actual subforums (examples are the DLC and AAR). Subforum & forum URLs end with f=, while thread links end with t=.

I would suggest adding feature requests to the thread as desired by the developers. If you think there should be a separate subforum perhaps suggest that either in the suggestions thread, or in different post.

Going back and forth at one another further isn't productive.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
artao5
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 am

Re: [REQUEST] Pop-Out Windows for View Layers and Map Settings

Post by artao5 »

Thank you for your attention in this.
Posting all requests in one thread goes counter to what I've seen them say before, regarding bugs. But okay.
I'll suggest a separate actual sub-forum for feature requests. That thread is a mess.
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”