How's about some good news...??
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
-
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am
Negativity could be best dealt with by not letting it get painted all over the place.
The forums are to numerous, to varied, and to prone to lacking direction.
The forums appear to lack "leadership". By this I mean the people in charge need to quash posts that serve no purpose.
The forum managers should discourage (or outright trash) posts that belong on some distant MIRC channel, and off Matrix if the participants merely wanting to socialise (its why I use ICQ, its what its for).
Any person that would use the phrases Censorship, Supression of Freedoms, and Prudish limitations, are "using" Matrix for their own amusement, and not for anything supportive of Matrix's efforts.
I have no interest in posting comments not directly supportive of Steel Panthers for a reason.
Currently I am enjoying 6.1. I have followed it since I downloaded 4.1 I believe. I have noticed a few changes, but not much (I tend to play a game and enjoy it, rather than quibble over why my tank blew up, or why I cant seem to kill that enemy infantry position.
Single biggest thrill I have had since seen in getting later versions of SP, from playing the actual original Steel Panthers, is the ease of playing it on my computer period. I remember requiring the aid of my computer guru to get a DOS game to run without hassle on my then modern computer.
I have followed numerous comment posts on the Forum for Steel Panthers specifically, and have found numerous ones informative and helpful.
Alas Matrix, in its unusual generosity, has let their site, WHICH IS A PRIVILEDGE AND NOT ANY ONE PERSONS RIGHT REGARDLESS OF ANY GOVERNMENTS ILL WORDED PAPERWORK, become a sea of posts that can become silly, offensive, and in no way supportive of Matrix's efforts.
In a lighter vein, some posts would be better served in a forum designed to come to the immediate aid of someone tasked with providing just that, aid.
I have seen a lot of techy commentary that could be best served on a forum that was specifically intended to be the ONE place techy comments were to be sent. This would include bug reports, negative commentary on design (which is a matter of negative input, but potentially valid).
I think that the posts sometimes over specialise. If each games techy comments were sent to each games specific forum, with the understanding that only techy comments were welcome, it would improve things.
If the General Forum was open to all games, with the specific provision that bug reports, and service complaints were not invited, it would make a great spot for newcomers to see the many games Matrix has to offer in a better light.
In a lot of cases I have seen many posts, that lacked any real direction. Some were mere fawning, some were obvious posts designed to garner nothing but attention. This really should be discouraged in soooooome way.
I deeeeefinitely advocate dispensing with any posting location that does absolutely NOTHING for Matrix (any who know me, will realise I have no desire to see "Art of Wargaming" remain on Matrix forums. It detracts from Matrix, and to be honest has tarnished my feelings towards the Matrix forums as a whole.
To me Matrix is Wargamming. In my case mostly Steel Panthers. But I would like to see more of the other games without having to wade through all their own techy baggage.
We need to address the techy baggage, but it pollutes dilutes and generally detracts from sponsoring new player interest. I havent been on any other games forums. They are to much and to unfocused. I tried Art of Wargaming, and as I see it, came away disgusted.
I hope this boring as hell dialogue is of use to Matrix. Anyone reading it better understand, no one likes Matrix or Steel Panthers "more" than me, maybe as much, but not more.
But Matrix needs to put a clamp down on non supportive, wasteful and potentially poorly located posts.
Its not about Guidelines, its about superior command and control at the helm.
The forums are to numerous, to varied, and to prone to lacking direction.
The forums appear to lack "leadership". By this I mean the people in charge need to quash posts that serve no purpose.
The forum managers should discourage (or outright trash) posts that belong on some distant MIRC channel, and off Matrix if the participants merely wanting to socialise (its why I use ICQ, its what its for).
Any person that would use the phrases Censorship, Supression of Freedoms, and Prudish limitations, are "using" Matrix for their own amusement, and not for anything supportive of Matrix's efforts.
I have no interest in posting comments not directly supportive of Steel Panthers for a reason.
Currently I am enjoying 6.1. I have followed it since I downloaded 4.1 I believe. I have noticed a few changes, but not much (I tend to play a game and enjoy it, rather than quibble over why my tank blew up, or why I cant seem to kill that enemy infantry position.
Single biggest thrill I have had since seen in getting later versions of SP, from playing the actual original Steel Panthers, is the ease of playing it on my computer period. I remember requiring the aid of my computer guru to get a DOS game to run without hassle on my then modern computer.
I have followed numerous comment posts on the Forum for Steel Panthers specifically, and have found numerous ones informative and helpful.
Alas Matrix, in its unusual generosity, has let their site, WHICH IS A PRIVILEDGE AND NOT ANY ONE PERSONS RIGHT REGARDLESS OF ANY GOVERNMENTS ILL WORDED PAPERWORK, become a sea of posts that can become silly, offensive, and in no way supportive of Matrix's efforts.
In a lighter vein, some posts would be better served in a forum designed to come to the immediate aid of someone tasked with providing just that, aid.
I have seen a lot of techy commentary that could be best served on a forum that was specifically intended to be the ONE place techy comments were to be sent. This would include bug reports, negative commentary on design (which is a matter of negative input, but potentially valid).
I think that the posts sometimes over specialise. If each games techy comments were sent to each games specific forum, with the understanding that only techy comments were welcome, it would improve things.
If the General Forum was open to all games, with the specific provision that bug reports, and service complaints were not invited, it would make a great spot for newcomers to see the many games Matrix has to offer in a better light.
In a lot of cases I have seen many posts, that lacked any real direction. Some were mere fawning, some were obvious posts designed to garner nothing but attention. This really should be discouraged in soooooome way.
I deeeeefinitely advocate dispensing with any posting location that does absolutely NOTHING for Matrix (any who know me, will realise I have no desire to see "Art of Wargaming" remain on Matrix forums. It detracts from Matrix, and to be honest has tarnished my feelings towards the Matrix forums as a whole.
To me Matrix is Wargamming. In my case mostly Steel Panthers. But I would like to see more of the other games without having to wade through all their own techy baggage.
We need to address the techy baggage, but it pollutes dilutes and generally detracts from sponsoring new player interest. I havent been on any other games forums. They are to much and to unfocused. I tried Art of Wargaming, and as I see it, came away disgusted.
I hope this boring as hell dialogue is of use to Matrix. Anyone reading it better understand, no one likes Matrix or Steel Panthers "more" than me, maybe as much, but not more.
But Matrix needs to put a clamp down on non supportive, wasteful and potentially poorly located posts.
Its not about Guidelines, its about superior command and control at the helm.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
I really think that too much sensitivity to criticism is being displayed here.
Let's look at a few facts:
1) SPWAW is the best WWII tactical simulation ever.
2) The guys at matrix work very hard to continue developing newer and better games for the enjoyment of their gamers community, who enthusiastically supports their efforts.
3)They want to move from providing free product (an excellent initial marketing idea) to charging for new, better products, and again they are supported by the vast majority of their existing and potential customers in this. All of us want to give matrix our money.
4) Their early efforts at distributing their new products were plagued by problems. This is a small matter compared to the rest, but it needs fixing. The supportes and customers who are suffering need attention ,however few they may be.
The best way open to Matrix to eliminate the possible negative effects of that small but important aspect of its history is to fix the problems so that the perceived level of service is as close as practically possible to that of other Internet Worldwide distributors to all their customers.
We are all rooting for Matrix, and if it's true that only a minority of unfortunates has had problems with their deliveries it won't hurt if they wait to get their first order before making an new one.
I had posted my order in April, after several unsuccessful attempts over a few weeks. That is persistence.
I did not complain when the info I received via e-mail did not allow me to track my order as indicated. I simply worked on the basis that I trusted Matrix and it would turn up at some stage. I didn't even bother to contact the help desk, as I thought they would be very busy.
I lost the use of my computer for 13 hours while it downloaded v.5.0, so that I could start playing it without waiting for the disk.
I ordered 5 MCNA with the intention of introducing a number of friends to the game by making a present of it to them, and I ordered 5 MCNA T-shirts that I don't really need just to make a contribution to Matirx's commercial success. I accepted to pay an obscene amount for shipping, (every single item was billed separately).
Only now do I start grumbling, but perhaps after all that it is not unreasonable. I am not even asking for my over US$ 250 back, just wondering where the hell the stuff is and whether I'm ever going to see it, and is this going to happen to every other future order, of which I would eventually like to make several (I want the new Mega Campaign, and I will want Combat Leader modules and Close Combat modules when thay are released).
David's reply was just right (my info is in the office, David, I'll e-mail you first thing Monday morning), and Wild Bill's words were also spot on.
Here I feel that I am being indirectly attacked for daring to complain. You can imagine how that makes me feel.
I don't care how strong the choir of approval is, I'm a strong supporter of Matrix but I have the right to voice my concerns without being made to feel that I'm somehow spoiling Matrix's chances or "betraying the cause".
Let's look at a few facts:
1) SPWAW is the best WWII tactical simulation ever.
2) The guys at matrix work very hard to continue developing newer and better games for the enjoyment of their gamers community, who enthusiastically supports their efforts.
3)They want to move from providing free product (an excellent initial marketing idea) to charging for new, better products, and again they are supported by the vast majority of their existing and potential customers in this. All of us want to give matrix our money.
4) Their early efforts at distributing their new products were plagued by problems. This is a small matter compared to the rest, but it needs fixing. The supportes and customers who are suffering need attention ,however few they may be.
The best way open to Matrix to eliminate the possible negative effects of that small but important aspect of its history is to fix the problems so that the perceived level of service is as close as practically possible to that of other Internet Worldwide distributors to all their customers.
We are all rooting for Matrix, and if it's true that only a minority of unfortunates has had problems with their deliveries it won't hurt if they wait to get their first order before making an new one.
I had posted my order in April, after several unsuccessful attempts over a few weeks. That is persistence.
I did not complain when the info I received via e-mail did not allow me to track my order as indicated. I simply worked on the basis that I trusted Matrix and it would turn up at some stage. I didn't even bother to contact the help desk, as I thought they would be very busy.
I lost the use of my computer for 13 hours while it downloaded v.5.0, so that I could start playing it without waiting for the disk.
I ordered 5 MCNA with the intention of introducing a number of friends to the game by making a present of it to them, and I ordered 5 MCNA T-shirts that I don't really need just to make a contribution to Matirx's commercial success. I accepted to pay an obscene amount for shipping, (every single item was billed separately).
Only now do I start grumbling, but perhaps after all that it is not unreasonable. I am not even asking for my over US$ 250 back, just wondering where the hell the stuff is and whether I'm ever going to see it, and is this going to happen to every other future order, of which I would eventually like to make several (I want the new Mega Campaign, and I will want Combat Leader modules and Close Combat modules when thay are released).
David's reply was just right (my info is in the office, David, I'll e-mail you first thing Monday morning), and Wild Bill's words were also spot on.
Here I feel that I am being indirectly attacked for daring to complain. You can imagine how that makes me feel.
I don't care how strong the choir of approval is, I'm a strong supporter of Matrix but I have the right to voice my concerns without being made to feel that I'm somehow spoiling Matrix's chances or "betraying the cause".
Fabs
- David Heath
- Posts: 2529
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 5:00 pm
Hi Guys
For the record No at Matrix has a problem I with unhappy people. Except the fact that they are unhappy. We want to keep every customer and not lose one! I admit that is almost impossible.
Part of the problem we are having is the CRAP service by USPS. Gamers upset that its 10 days and no game. Some of them have taken 20+ days to get to them. This is NOT our fault. Things are so bad with USPS, no tracking and long delays that we have stop using them altogether. We now have much cheaper discount rates for for FedEx and UPS.
We are doing our best and have been working the weekends to clear up the few gamers who are still having problems. We started work on both Mega Campaigns at the same time and will be selling the second Mega Campaign in about 2 weeks (this is not official). I expect all of these issues to have been cleared up.
Let me also make this clear anyone who order the game and paid for it early and has not recieved it yet has every right to be mad at us. No one at Matrix feels differently about this. All I can say is wait to Mega Campaign Lost Victories and from the start there will be no problems. Also if you Order Desert Fox 1941 I am sure you will also find it much easier experenice.
Thanks to everyone for the support and understanding.
For the record No at Matrix has a problem I with unhappy people. Except the fact that they are unhappy. We want to keep every customer and not lose one! I admit that is almost impossible.
Part of the problem we are having is the CRAP service by USPS. Gamers upset that its 10 days and no game. Some of them have taken 20+ days to get to them. This is NOT our fault. Things are so bad with USPS, no tracking and long delays that we have stop using them altogether. We now have much cheaper discount rates for for FedEx and UPS.
We are doing our best and have been working the weekends to clear up the few gamers who are still having problems. We started work on both Mega Campaigns at the same time and will be selling the second Mega Campaign in about 2 weeks (this is not official). I expect all of these issues to have been cleared up.
Let me also make this clear anyone who order the game and paid for it early and has not recieved it yet has every right to be mad at us. No one at Matrix feels differently about this. All I can say is wait to Mega Campaign Lost Victories and from the start there will be no problems. Also if you Order Desert Fox 1941 I am sure you will also find it much easier experenice.
Thanks to everyone for the support and understanding.
With all this positive feedback somebody has to post the warning:
--------------------------------------------
CAUTION!! SPWaW IS addicting!!
Life as you knew it will NOT be the same
after playing this game.
--------------------------------------------
If I don't play a scenario or part of a campaign every few days I get grouchy!!
Back to the war.
Figmo
--------------------------------------------
CAUTION!! SPWaW IS addicting!!
Life as you knew it will NOT be the same
after playing this game.
--------------------------------------------
If I don't play a scenario or part of a campaign every few days I get grouchy!!
Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
Posted by Figmo:"CAUTION!! SPWaW IS addicting!!
Life as you knew it will NOT be the same
after playing this game. " I wholeheartedly agree. I sometimes think this forum is as much a support group for obsessive-compulsive gamers as it is for sharing opinions, gripes, and kudos to the Matrix company staff. I'm course I'm kidding...at least I think I am. I still have plenty to time to share with my wife and daughter...whatever their names are.
Life as you knew it will NOT be the same
after playing this game. " I wholeheartedly agree. I sometimes think this forum is as much a support group for obsessive-compulsive gamers as it is for sharing opinions, gripes, and kudos to the Matrix company staff. I'm course I'm kidding...at least I think I am. I still have plenty to time to share with my wife and daughter...whatever their names are.

I'm another one that loves SP series. In fact, I bought *two* MC CDs and *two* T-shirts. Yes, I have good friends who also love SP and have a slow modem connection.
And SP is the best ever WW2 wargame on PC. The detail given, the historical accuracy, the ability to use tactics from FMs (field manuals), the chance to use weapons in the same way they were used... unbeatable.
Also, the amazing speed of game patches only rivals the patches made for Linux . For all of you that don't know, the fastest you get a patch, the better the product is: it means that the manufacturer/developers are "on top of the product" and want it right, right now. Customer support heaven, I must say.
And, of course, SPWaW runs great on Linux!

And SP is the best ever WW2 wargame on PC. The detail given, the historical accuracy, the ability to use tactics from FMs (field manuals), the chance to use weapons in the same way they were used... unbeatable.
Also, the amazing speed of game patches only rivals the patches made for Linux . For all of you that don't know, the fastest you get a patch, the better the product is: it means that the manufacturer/developers are "on top of the product" and want it right, right now. Customer support heaven, I must say.
And, of course, SPWaW runs great on Linux!
Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"
BUMP!!!
Happy Friday to All!!!
Feeling a sense of jubilation because I just spent some of my tax refund from Dubya on a couple more MC CDs (to get some friends hooked) and some FIREFIGHT...
I wanted to be able to put "my money where my mouth was" when I posted my sincere appreciation to the gang at Matrix and all the beta testers who have labored so long and hard to resurrect SP and develop this wonderful and addictive game called SPWAW...
It is also great to be part of such an awesome community of gamers...
Way back when David said he needed 3500 copies of MC to get "the train" moving... I hope my 3 copies help you hit get a little closer to the mark....I am truly eager to see what you guys can do with CA/CL and am impressed with the way other goodies keep spinning out: just for example: SPModerna and the gang doing the Civil War adaptation...Goodonya, mates!!
So, thanks and keep up the good work - I can't wait to buy my next 3 MCs!!!!
Cheers

Happy Friday to All!!!
Feeling a sense of jubilation because I just spent some of my tax refund from Dubya on a couple more MC CDs (to get some friends hooked) and some FIREFIGHT...
I wanted to be able to put "my money where my mouth was" when I posted my sincere appreciation to the gang at Matrix and all the beta testers who have labored so long and hard to resurrect SP and develop this wonderful and addictive game called SPWAW...
It is also great to be part of such an awesome community of gamers...
Way back when David said he needed 3500 copies of MC to get "the train" moving... I hope my 3 copies help you hit get a little closer to the mark....I am truly eager to see what you guys can do with CA/CL and am impressed with the way other goodies keep spinning out: just for example: SPModerna and the gang doing the Civil War adaptation...Goodonya, mates!!
So, thanks and keep up the good work - I can't wait to buy my next 3 MCs!!!!
Cheers
- AbsntMndedProf
- Posts: 1475
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Contact:
I can't say enough good things about Desert Fox/Steel Panthers! It goes way beyond the board gaming experience. It reminds me of the years I spent playing WW II miniatures on diaramas. Everything about DF/SP is just great! Anyone who enjoys wargaming should get Desert Fox. It's great! Keep up the good work!

I have just read that item... looks like Paul was right, the "good news" may be a little submerged. Anyway I am not sure that negative (hum, let's say constructive) comments are that harmful.
Please let me explain my own story: all right, I am not exactly a newbie, I have been playing SP since the first version. Until MCNA I had no possibility to get SPWAW and you can imagine how disappointed I was. All that I could do was browsing the forum and trying to imagine the day where I would have it on my computer (connexion is so slow and expensive here in France for those who do not have ADSL...).
Well actually the forum did not discourage me at all. It was exactly the opposite, I was greatly impressed seeing that there are really some experts here. My feeling was that, in case I would encounter any problem, there would be somebody soon to help me... and that's true. Moreover, it is great sharing ideas with all of you!
Now that I have SPWAW 6.1, I am happy to be able to post on the forums ; I hope I do not give too much "constructive" feedback
. And of course I completely agree with Paul: positive feedback is really a necessity too. Maybe that my first post should have been something like that:
""SPWAW is totally fantastic, it is the best game I have played ever". And that's true...
A drawback? Well, I spend a lot of time at work remembering the map and planning where I will deploy my units
.
Please let me explain my own story: all right, I am not exactly a newbie, I have been playing SP since the first version. Until MCNA I had no possibility to get SPWAW and you can imagine how disappointed I was. All that I could do was browsing the forum and trying to imagine the day where I would have it on my computer (connexion is so slow and expensive here in France for those who do not have ADSL...).
Well actually the forum did not discourage me at all. It was exactly the opposite, I was greatly impressed seeing that there are really some experts here. My feeling was that, in case I would encounter any problem, there would be somebody soon to help me... and that's true. Moreover, it is great sharing ideas with all of you!
Now that I have SPWAW 6.1, I am happy to be able to post on the forums ; I hope I do not give too much "constructive" feedback
""SPWAW is totally fantastic, it is the best game I have played ever". And that's true...
A drawback? Well, I spend a lot of time at work remembering the map and planning where I will deploy my units
Alexei.
- Belisarius
- Posts: 3099
- Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
- Contact:
Originally posted by Bing:
"...with the proliferation of broadband access to the Internet (cable and DSL), people are not concerned about the big downloads anymore."
Sorry, but this is just not the factual situation. Talk to the gamers in Europe who cannot get a fast connection in any form. And have to pay for their oxcart connection by the minute.
John Dvorak, resident guru for Ziff Davis publications, recently quoted a industry survey of Internet users. Better than half of them are in the 34 K connection category. I'm lucky to get 33.6 because of a small town phone system, most of the time it is 31.2.
File size beyond question is important to myself and I am certain a great many gamers. The entire world is not comprised of people who have DSL or modem cable. The reverse happens to be the case.
Bing
Just to get the record straight; Altough a lot of users here doesn't have a fast connection, a lot of us do.
I just got cable a week ago, I downloaded spwaw v1.0 on a 56k modem that took 28 hours of connect time to get the file. In addition to that large file I also downloaded 22 episodes of the tv show Blakes 7, done as 300+ meg mpeg files, (got the other 30 episodes with cable modem) it is all a matter of how commited you are to getting what you want. If it was my only way of getting it, I would even hook up my antique 300 baud modem and just take a month or two to get it.Originally posted by Bing:
"...with the proliferation of broadband access to the Internet (cable and DSL), people are not concerned about the big downloads anymore."
Sorry, but this is just not the factual situation. Talk to the gamers in Europe who cannot get a fast connection in any form. And have to pay for their oxcart connection by the minute.
John Dvorak, resident guru for Ziff Davis publications, recently quoted a industry survey of Internet users. Better than half of them are in the 34 K connection category. I'm lucky to get 33.6 because of a small town phone system, most of the time it is 31.2.
File size beyond question is important to myself and I am certain a great many gamers. The entire world is not comprised of people who have DSL or modem cable. The reverse happens to be the case.
Bing
thanks, John.




